User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 1:16:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hate the ar10 too. Mostly because an old bm that I could never figger out.

Building one takes a good deal of research and dedication. Buying one takes a good deal of faith in the manufacturer.

And there is also tempering expectations. You ain't ever gonna get a 308 as light and handy as a 556.
View Quote

A POF Rogue comes from the factory weighing just under 6lbs. The Ruger SFAR is under 7lbs. Yeah, you can get a 308 as light and handy as a 556.

And no, neither rifle beats you up with recoil.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 1:26:29 AM EDT
[#2]
716i is a decent entry option.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 1:59:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Apart from the furniture and rear sight is there any functional differences between the CETME and the G3?

FAL Para model has a different recoil spring assembly
View Quote

My understanding is that you can swap some of the assemblies between the two (CETME and G3), but if you start trying to swap individual parts in those assemblies (such as a bolt assembly) you are going to create major headaches for yourself.

Most FALs are metric, but British manufactured FALs are in inches (different manufacturing drawings, with different measurements), so you can forget about mixing parts between the inch pattern and metric pattern FALs.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 2:07:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

My understanding is that you can swap some of the assemblies between the two (CETME and G3), but if you start trying to swap individual parts in those assemblies (such as a bolt assembly) you are going to create major headaches for yourself.

Most FALs are metric, but British manufactured FALs are in inches (different manufacturing drawings, with different measurements), so you can forget about mixing parts between the inch pattern and metric pattern FALs.
View Quote

Makessense. Not really an expert
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 2:20:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Five pages!!

I bet we can make a drinking game out of spotting how many times someone has used the word "Flawless" when describing their gun.
View Quote

"No hiccups"
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 9:44:18 AM EDT
[#6]
My LMT 7.62 LM8 has been mo’ flawless, suppressed or unsuppressed.

It’s one heavy beeatch though and only gets worse with scope, mount, bipod, et al.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 11:07:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My LMT 7.62 LM8 has been mo’ flawless, suppressed or unsuppressed.

It’s one heavy beeatch though and only gets worse with scope, mount, bipod, et al.
View Quote

Try the lightweight barrels. They’re the sex.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 11:15:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

A POF Rogue comes from the factory weighing just under 6lbs. The Ruger SFAR is under 7lbs. Yeah, you can get a 308 as light and handy as a 556.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hate the ar10 too. Mostly because an old bm that I could never figger out.

Building one takes a good deal of research and dedication. Buying one takes a good deal of faith in the manufacturer.

And there is also tempering expectations. You ain't ever gonna get a 308 as light and handy as a 556.

My 6.5 CM weighs in at 14 pounds full up, but it was deliberately built heavy......22" H-bar
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 3:47:49 PM EDT
[#9]

I don’t know which one is my favorite…Both have been FLAWLESS!
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 3:54:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Learned the hard way.

I remember there being ar15s with different specs back back in the 2000s. When's the last time someone bought a commercial buffer tube.

Link Posted: 11/27/2022 4:42:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apart from the furniture and rear sight is there any functional differences between the CETME and the G3?

FAL Para model has a different recoil spring assembly

Never heard that about the CETME.  From what I understand, the original G-3s were just CETMEs made to German specifications for certain things.

Lots of parts are interchangeable between "metric" and "inch" rifles as far as FALs go.  Most of the incompatibilities have to do with parts that were constructed differently, such as some of the parts of the lower assembly (different grip and trigger set-up, different butt stocks).  Bolts and carriers won't interchange, but BCGs will (I have an Australian BCG in my IMBEL "metric" receiver, which also has an Aussie locking shoulder).  The gas port was drilled at 45 degrees or something like that instead of 90, so gas blocks, gas plugs, and such won't interchange between barrel types.  But most parts will interchange.

Bigger change is with the paras, but that's because they were redesigned to use the FN 49 recoil system to allow the use of a folding stock.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 4:49:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Attachment Attached File
I've had several, like my 716 best so far. Carried it around deer hunting this year.  Seems lighter and handier than my CTR.  Leopold is for hunting with light aero mount and yes I tied the sling.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 4:58:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/92324/1456BD23-170C-40C3-A586-0D24EED10F26_jpe-2615947.JPGI've had several, like my 716 best so far. Carried it around deer hunting this year.  Seems lighter and handier than my CTR.  Leopold is for hunting with light aero mount and yes I tied the sling.
View Quote

@kentucky_smith

Attachment Attached File

Gucci slings are over-rated.  

Link Posted: 11/27/2022 6:05:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Never heard that about the CETME.  From what I understand, the original G-3s were just CETMEs made to German specifications for certain things.

View Quote

I've got a CETME parts kit and a G3 parts kit on a shelf, waiting for me to get around to starting on them, so I'm just going on what I have read on arfcom.  General theme seemed to be that the more you mixed parts between the two, the greater the odds that you would have to do some additional work to get everything functioning properly.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 7:54:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

@Tao

Can you educate my ignorant self?
View Quote

Like the other guys posted, there are now AR15 sized 308 platforms that do everything an AR10 does, at 30-50% of the weight.

If you want to shoot 308 out of an AR type platform, there is no longer any need to deal with the ridiculous weight and proprietary parts of the mess that is the AR10 market.

And my Rogue, which very quickly became my favorite non-556/223 rifle. Perfectly pairs with the heavily featured but very light weight Vortex Razor LHT at 19 oz.

Link Posted: 11/28/2022 7:56:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Should still be considered large frame due to magwell and bolt size IMO.
View Quote

But the whole point is the overall size and weight, and being able to use many standard AR15 parts.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 7:35:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I've got a CETME parts kit and a G3 parts kit on a shelf, waiting for me to get around to starting on them, so I'm just going on what I have read on arfcom.  General theme seemed to be that the more you mixed parts between the two, the greater the odds that you would have to do some additional work to get everything functioning properly.
View Quote

put it together.  I miss my PTR91; it's one of the things that didn't come with me in my move to TX stupidly.  

I've got an SDN6 waiting for it and I had a Bill Springfield trigger job so I'm looking at a 3.5-4lbs pull on it; need to test it to confirm.  Match ammo pushes it to 1MOA; not bad for a rifle that'll outlast anything in the apocalypse.

I love me some LMT MWS don't get me wrong; I just went PTR91 years ago because it was and still is 1/2 the price.  Show it a little love and it'll shoot the same too.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 7:51:15 PM EDT
[#18]
I prefer reliability in my 7.62 battle rifles

Link Posted: 12/3/2022 5:46:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I prefer reliability in my 7.62 battle rifles

https://i.ibb.co/DkPwgFX/6-EB6-BD42-EE9-C-4515-8-DC3-B492-A745-B3-E0.jpg
View Quote

Aside from cost, exactly.

Link Posted: 12/4/2022 2:11:01 AM EDT
[#20]
My MWS is more reliable than my SCAR was…and I don’t void the warranty as soon as I shoot it suppressed.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 3:26:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I just went through some of that.  Incompatible uppers & lowers.  Incompatible LPKs, even incompatible mags between AR-10 and the rest of them.   Incompatibilities within parts, upper and lower.   Different barrel nuts, even within just AR-10.  A friend has an 80% lower he just milled that has a AR-10 top part of the lower, but the mag well takes AR-308 mags.    Takedown pins from a PSA -10 LPK arent even close to long enough, looking at my DPMS LPK now.
Not insurmountable, by any means, but not at all in the same class as working on AR-15s.
View Quote
More incompatibilities - mag catch bolt is about 1/8" too short, in multiple brands' LPK and on multiple brands' 80% lowers.  It works, but barely, really should have more threads engaged.   Bolt release pivot - some pins, some threaded, at least 2 different sizes of threaded.  Had to mill 0.060" off the top of the threaded buffer tube housing because it was blocking the charging handle.   I'm sure there will be more.    Not insurmountable, but sure a lot of screwing around.    I have a PA-10 LPK I was going to use on a second 80% lower.   I just said screw that and ordered a PA-10 100% lower.   At least then it's more likely all the parts will fit properly.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 4:21:16 AM EDT
[#22]
POF, Armalite, Aero, DD, Sig, LaRue, KAC… and a couple of the pricier gucci makers.

That’s about it. Stray outside of those or start mixing and matching and your flirting with trouble. Always use matching receivers and LPK from the same mfg at a minimum.
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top