Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:36:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Stay true to the character. It deserves more than that. From You Only Live Once:  

"Bond's parents were given as Andrew Bond, from the village of Glencoe, Scotland, and Monique Delacroix, from the canton of Vaud, Switzerland."

Come on man! I think Ben Affleck would have done just as great a great job as Cinqué in Amistad too...
View Quote

So simply changing the race of Bond is demeaning their character? I would argue that the portrayal of the character is what would make it hit or miss, not what color they were.

If we are using authenticity to the books as a deciding factor on the portrayal of James Bond, then most of the other movies have failed miserably.

I think Hollywood does a lot of bad casting, but I don't think this is one of those instances. I bet you're upset there is a black stormtrooper in the new Star Wars as well.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:37:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

stahp, just stahp.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jesus, like David, was ruddy complected, meaning easy to show blood in the face, or easy to see them blush. They both had reddish hair.

It means a fair blood- tinged naturally red complexion. Usually people with ruddy complexions are very fair skinned that has a translucent character. The capillaries (or tiny little blood vessels where arteries turn into veins from the release of oxygen into cells and uptake of carbon dioxide from cells) are more visible to the naked eye giving the complexion a reddish look. They blush in a magnificent way and turn very red with strong emotion such as anger. The pale considerable with fear and are the people that "turn white as a sheet". This is from capillary constriction from the fight or flight response.. It used to be called a florid complexion.Irish/English/Scottish ancestry is common.

stahp, just stahp.

You do know not all tribes were of the same color right. Go over there now and see pure Jewish men and women with dark hair, dark complexions, blonde hair or red hair with light complexions, or reds with ruddy complexions, like the Scots.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:38:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:41:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Jesus, like David, was ruddy complected, meaning easy to show blood in the face, or easy to see them blush. They both had reddish hair.

It means a fair blood- tinged naturally red complexion. Usually people with ruddy complexions are very fair skinned that has a translucent character. The capillaries (or tiny little blood vessels where arteries turn into veins from the release of oxygen into cells and uptake of carbon dioxide from cells) are more visible to the naked eye giving the complexion a reddish look. They blush in a magnificent way and turn very red with strong emotion such as anger. The pale considerable with fear and are the people that "turn white as a sheet". This is from capillary constriction from the fight or flight response.. It used to be called a florid complexion.Irish/English/Scottish ancestry is common.
View Quote

"Jesus was totally white man, there's no way he could have been anything else"

So you knew Jesus then; what was he like?
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:42:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

WTF is that?
View All Quotes

Somebody needs to catch up on classic movies.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:44:10 PM EDT
[#6]
If they're looking at The Wire for casting...

Give the spot to OMAR!

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:45:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Are they done with Craig?  I like Craig's Bond.  He reminds me of Steve McQueen, who I thought would've been a neat Bond if he could have done the accent any justice.

As far as a black Bond?  No problems with it here, so long as it's deserved and not done to placate people.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:47:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Prepare for all the closet racists on ARF to get their panties in a wad.  
View Quote

That's about as fair as saying that anyone in this thread who is white and wants to see a black Bond, has white guilt.

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:51:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

LOL, he was actually believable!
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:51:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That's about as fair as saying that anyone in this thread who is white and wants to see a black Bond, has white guilt.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

>implying

Most of the people criticizing the characters have nothing other than "Bond has to be white" as a complaint, with no real notes as to the portrayal of the Bond persona. Stay butthurt.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:52:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

WTF is that?
View All Quotes

A lead farmer?
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:53:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Why not just make it animated?

Archer would be the perfect James Bond.
View Quote

...GENIUS
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:57:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Sony's internal emails have revealed that they don't like casting black actors as the lead in tentpole films, because they don't think they do as well overseas due to overseas racism. So it probably won't happen.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:58:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

>implying

Most of the people criticizing the characters have nothing other than "Bond has to be white" as a complaint, with no real notes as to the portrayal of the Bond persona. Stay butthurt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

>implying

First I'm racist, now I'm butthurt.

You're not very good at reading people.

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:58:58 PM EDT
[#15]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously, though, an Indian or Pakistani Bond (or at least partially) would make more sense than a black one, if they want to throw a twist to the conventional narrative.

http://i.usatoday.net/life/_photos/2011/10/05/TV-tonight-Community-The-Big-Bang-Theory-2CER0KS-x-large.jpg

Seriously, an Indian Bond could be very interesting.

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:01:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

>implying

Yup, definitely butthurt.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:05:58 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

He has the badass part down but can he deliver his lines with a Scottish accent?
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:06:12 PM EDT
[#18]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously, though, an Indian or Pakistani Bond (or at least partially) would make more sense than a black one, if they want to throw a twist to the conventional narrative.

http://i.usatoday.net/life/_photos/2011/10/05/TV-tonight-Community-The-Big-Bang-Theory-2CER0KS-x-large.jpg

Seriously, an Indian Bond could be very interesting.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3p31qUFSa1qz7f9to1_1280.jpg

Born and raised in South Carolina, surprisingly.  Doesn't seem like an SC boy at all.  Great stand-up comedian.  Mediocre actor.

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:07:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
So simply changing the race of Bond is demeaning their character? I would argue that the portrayal of the character is what would make it hit or miss, not what color they were.

If we are using authenticity to the books as a deciding factor on the portrayal of James Bond, then most of the other movies have failed miserably.

I think Hollywood does a lot of bad casting, but I don't think this is one of those instances. I bet you're upset there is a black stormtrooper in the new Star Wars as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Stay true to the character. It deserves more than that. From You Only Live Once:  

"Bond's parents were given as Andrew Bond, from the village of Glencoe, Scotland, and Monique Delacroix, from the canton of Vaud, Switzerland."

Come on man! I think Ben Affleck would have done just as great a great job as Cinqué in Amistad too...

No I'm saying it should be grounded in reality. But hey go ahead and read racism into it all you want. I mean I'm sure the world of espionage is loaded with black british guys.

That's the whole problem I have with your line of reasoning that he's a good actor so lets throw all the other criteria out the window. Running with YOUR viewpoint is akin to sayin it would be OK to have Darth Vader be played by Sigourney Weaver because she's really good in space movies.

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:09:04 PM EDT
[#20]
at least he won't be carrying a glock

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:09:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Are they done with Craig?
View Quote

He's got one left.

And Christoph Waltz will be the villain and its gonna be awesome.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:10:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

He has the badass part down but can he deliver his lines with a Scottish accent?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

who  was the last bond to have the accent again?

craig was great for the bond line. i think he revitalized it (along with the director/writers, the grittier bond was perfect).

the pierce bond line was stale.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:11:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
No I'm saying it should be grounded in reality. But hey go ahead and read racism into it all you want. I mean I'm sure the world of espionage is loaded with black british guys.

That's the whole problem I have with your line of reasoning that he's a good actor so lets throw all the other criteria out the window. Running with YOUR viewpoint is akin to sayin it would be OK to have Darth Vader be played by Sigourney Weaver because she's really good in space movies.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not saying he should be James Bond because he is a good actor, I am saying that he should be James Bond based on the fact he was a very smooth and dominant personality, and is also a good actor.

Grounded in reality? A super duper secret agent who always manage to outsmart everyone while being extremely sophisticated and making love to beautiful women, and the only reason that it is unrealistic is because it is a black British guy, and not a white British guy? You can try to justify your blatant racism all you want, but it is painfully obvious why you don't want him to play Bond.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:13:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
WTF?

No racism at all, but Bond is a white British character, that is the stupidest idea that I have ever seen...
View Quote

Yeah, pretty much this....
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:20:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shhhh.  Get out of here with your logic, you racist bastard.

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:20:34 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I'm not saying he should be James Bond because he is a good actor, I am saying that he should be James Bond based on the fact he was a very smooth and dominant personality, and is also a good actor.

Grounded in reality? A super duper secret agent who always manage to outsmart everyone while being extremely sophisticated and making love to beautiful women, and the only reason that it is unrealistic is because it is a black British guy, and not a white British guy. You can try to justify your blatant racism all you want, but it is painfully obvious why you don't want him to play Bond.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Grounded in reality? A super duper secret agent who always manage to outsmart everyone while being extremely sophisticated and making love to beautiful women, and the only reason that it is unrealistic is because it is a black British guy, and not a white British guy. You can try to justify your blatant racism all you want, but it is painfully obvious why you don't want him to play Bond.
Yeah I chose poorly with "grounded in reality". I was trying to reinforce the sticking with what Ian Flemming created. Not much reality to be had admittedly. I had the same problems with them casting Craig who is way out of kilter with what Flemming described in the books also but I enjoyed the movies he's done. If Elba gets cast I'm still gonna see it and I'm still gonna enjoy it just as I have all the others. Cheers.

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:22:25 PM EDT
[#27]
About the second Luther, I said: Damn, he'd make a great James Bond.  If we can have Orange and Green Irish, whey can't we have white as well as black Scots?
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:22:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
WTF?

No racism at all, but Bond is a white British character, that is the stupidest idea that I have ever seen...

Why the hell not?

They've had Scotsmen, Irishmen... Idris is 100% Brit.

Moonraker, Dalton, Moore...

Has anyone been to London recently? This guy is the face of modern England.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:56:01 PM EDT
[#29]
I predict an Elba Bond film will gross less than any of the Daniel Craig Bond films.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:59:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Why the hell not?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
WTF?

Why the hell not?

Because I said so....

Seriously, if you think its a great idea, good for you. I think its stupid. Because Bond is White, and Scottish.

I hate revisionist crap, and that is my expectation.

And using the "face of modern England" BS is something I'd would expect to hear out of a libs mouth. Who the fuck cares? If thats the case, as another poster said, lets have a Jihadist play Bond, they are the face of modern England too....
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 6:03:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
This has nothing to do with getting the best possible actor (what's wrong with Daniel Craig?) for the role. This is a Hollywood studio wanting to cast a black man, just because.

Just imagine the uproar if George Clooney were given the role of Shaft?
View Quote

I had heard that Daniel Craig wants out of being bond but he has a contract.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 6:07:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Can we just stop p.c.ing every fucking thing? James bond, doctor who, any other fictional character doesn't need to be made black, or female, or gay, or transgender, or whatever else because it's an "in" thing to do.  

It's gotten to the point of being ridiculous.   I have no problem creating new characters in any of the above combinations, but leave major characters alone.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 6:10:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Aimless let us down with this thread.  He should have included a poll.  

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 6:14:33 PM EDT
[#34]
[personal attack removed - warning issued - Paul]
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 6:17:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because I said so....

Seriously, if you think its a great idea, good for you. I think its stupid. Because Bond is White, and Scottish.

And using the "face of modern England" BS is something I'd would expect to hear out of a libs mouth. Who the fuck cares? If thats the case, as another poster said, lets have a Jihadist play Bond, they are the face of modern England too....

[personal attack removed - Paul]
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 6:18:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because I said so....

Jesus dude.

Take a few deep breaths and give it a rest.  Everything will be alright.  I promise.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 6:19:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I love it, no wonder race relations are in the shitter...really? Someone wants to see Bond continue as a white Scotsman, as he was written, and that means you are a racist....

So, I guess if I want to re-do Foxy Brown with a hot Asian chick as the lead, i am racist too....
View Quote

Yes.

The only "real" James Bond today is Archer. The world has moved on and is a different and weird place.

That show is the only one that has held true to the ideal of what James Bond really was.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 6:19:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
WTF?

View Quote

+87

Does he at least have a British accent?
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 6:21:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Albeit, it would not be the first time Bond was played by a person of a different race, with Rodger Moore and whatnot

I agree there is a lot of stupid PC rewriting of characters, like Girl Thor. I just don't see anything about Bond requiring a white actor though. I think a black or Indian could play Bond as long as he pulls off the kind of cool an debonair thing. At least we don't have a lesbian Eskimo woman playing Bond yet
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
WTF?

Well he's a black British actor. What's the difference?

Just doesn't fit. You don't have a character played by an Australian for 40 years and all of a sudden switch them to being Puerto Rican.

Albeit, it would not be the first time Bond was played by a person of a different race, with Rodger Moore and whatnot

I agree there is a lot of stupid PC rewriting of characters, like Girl Thor. I just don't see anything about Bond requiring a white actor though. I think a black or Indian could play Bond as long as he pulls off the kind of cool an debonair thing. At least we don't have a lesbian Eskimo woman playing Bond yet

This. He seems like a good fit for the role.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 6:23:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
lol  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You know, I think he'd make a swell Annie too.
lol  

That was funny. I lold.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 6:23:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 6:24:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Aimless let us down with this thread.  He should have included a poll.  

View Quote

Does seem to be a lower than epic fail.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 6:24:17 PM EDT
[#43]
He was awesome in Luther

I think he'd be an awesome bond
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 6:25:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Lets play a game of  recast every  white character with black because anyone who criticizes it is racist anyway.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 6:25:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 6:32:00 PM EDT
[#46]
I wonder if Benedict Cumberbatch could pull it off.  He may be too metro to pull off the badass side.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 6:32:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Great actor, would do well as Bond.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 6:32:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I wonder if Benedict Cumberbatch could pull it off.  He may be too metro to pull off the badass side.
View Quote

No way, he has that narrow head.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 6:34:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

He's gonna end up in every movie made in the next decade.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 6:37:13 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View Quote

I think he'd make a better Bond villain. Would probably do an epic monologue .

Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top