User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 2:45:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Eh. Not sure how I feel about that.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 2:45:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Fleming's rendition

Read this, then try and tell me that Idris Elba would be a good fit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Bond_(literary_character)

I just don't see it. Any more than I'd see him playing Indiana Jones.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 2:47:54 PM EDT
[#3]
If Sean Connery can play a Spaniard in Highlander, Elba can play a Scotsman in Bond.

I'm for it.  Cool actor, he'd be pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 2:48:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c5/Fleming007impression.jpg
Fleming's rendition

Read this, then try and tell me that Idris Elba would be a good fit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Bond_(literary_character)

View Quote

No actor that has played him would be a good fit, then.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 2:48:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
He was on the short list to play the 13th Doctor. I think they screwed the pooch big time by not choosing him for that.
View Quote

That would have been incredible.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 2:50:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He was on the short list to play the 13th Doctor. I think they screwed the pooch big time by not choosing him for that.

The race-obsessed would have a lot less leg to stand on to pitch a fit, there.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 2:50:34 PM EDT
[#7]
The guy's badass.

He would have made a good Bond or 13th Doctor.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 2:50:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

No actor that has played him would be a good perfect fit, then.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fleming's rendition

No actor that has played him would be a good perfect fit, then.

Fixed.

There is a level of differentiation that can still allow suspension of disbelief.

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 2:51:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still not a ginger, though.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 2:51:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Kinda hard for him to pass as Russian or Japanese though...

I mean, THIS was bad enough...
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-D3TZucEvQsw/T3FGXVFmzNI/AAAAAAAABG0/nS0CdPld7CE/s1600/James+Bond,+Japanese+agent.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 2:51:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That'll kill the Bond film series.

PC is PC but this is bullshit.  What's next?  A lesbian, handicapped James Bond?

It's like a progressive circle-jerk to watch remakes of movies with black people and women instead of the original.  
View Quote

I would watch a lesbian James Bond.

"The name is Bond, Jane Bond."

"Well, hello to you!  My name is Jinx...ever hear of a black and white cookie?"

*BrownchickenBROWNcow*

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 2:52:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Still pisses me off they cancelled Luther.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 2:56:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I know this has been mentioned here before but, hey, F the Dupe Police. Elba would be a great Bond, check out Luther on BBC sometime. Great actor
View Quote

Awesome show.

I always thought the hammer attack in the office would make a great "ban hamner" .gif

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 2:57:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Elba is a very fine actor,  but Fleming wrote Bond as a white Scotsman for Christ's sake.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 2:59:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This,  though I didn't really realize just how shitty an actor he was, until I saw him in the Expendables movies.  There, surrounded by other shitty actors (and a few decent ones), his inability to act really stands out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jason Statham FTW!

No, we need someone who can speak coherently...and act too

This,  though I didn't really realize just how shitty an actor he was, until I saw him in the Expendables movies.  There, surrounded by other shitty actors (and a few decent ones), his inability to act really stands out.

I like him for the movie roles he plays. He's now typed cast himself into only those type movie and I don't think he could pull of something like a Bond film
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:00:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Fleming's rendition

View Quote

Looks nothing like Daniel Craig
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:00:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:I just don't see anything about Bond requiring a white actor though.
View Quote
A LOT of the content in the books would be really WTF-ish if Bond was a black man.

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:02:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:06:40 PM EDT
[#19]
same as a black James West, no go
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:06:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This has nothing to do with getting the best possible actor (what's wrong with Daniel Craig?) for the role. This is a Hollywood studio wanting to cast a black man, just because.

Just imagine the uproar if George Clooney were given the role of Shaft?
View Quote

This is the total truth. I for one am sick of this revisionist bullshit.
Hey why not make a movie where Red Butler is Black.

More Blacks
More Fags
More DUMB White guys.
Looks like Hollywood has an agenda to push.

This PC needs to stop.

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:07:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Oh and lol at the butthurtedness over a black man playing an imaginary character.  Especially those saying a white guy should play MLK.  So retarded.  White people have been portraying people from other cultures forever.

John Wayne played Genghis Khan FFS.

It's a movie, get over it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:10:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
No racism at all, but Bond is a white British character, that is the stupidest idea that I have ever seen...

Bond is a cool British guy, set in the present day I don't see any problem with a cool British black guy being Bond. It's not like a black Lone Ranger or Sergeant Rock.  

Beats the idea Craig was floating of a Gay Bond
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
WTF?
No racism at all, but Bond is a white British character, that is the stupidest idea that I have ever seen...

Bond is a cool British guy, set in the present day I don't see any problem with a cool British black guy being Bond. It's not like a black Lone Ranger or Sergeant Rock.  

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:11:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Anybody remember the LONE RANGER movie where they had jonnie depp playing as a native american?  If they can get away with that who cares about a black bond?  There's nothing that says 007 has to be a white guy.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:12:13 PM EDT
[#24]
'Idris should be the next bond'.

What's the "should"?

It's just Hollywood, so I don't see a problem with it. I would be curious to find out the reasoning behind the decision.

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:12:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Why not just make it animated?

Archer would be the perfect James Bond.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:12:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
There is a level of differentiation that can still allow suspension of disbelief.
View Quote

On the list of things you have to suspend disbelief for in the James Bond series - physically impossible gadgetry, nonexistent international relations, phenomenally loose women, etc., the race of the actor portraying Bond is incredibly low on the list.

Shit, the most realistic scene in the last 30 years of bond films was M's appearance before a bunch of stupid, self-important bureaucrats in Skyfall, and that was immediately counterbalanced by the ease with which Javier Bardem's character and his henchmen waltzed into the place guns-blazing.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:21:44 PM EDT
[#27]
The "Gay James Bond" thing has already been done albeit in a comic role by Tim Conway as "James Blonde".  
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:32:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Elba is a very fine actor,  but Fleming wrote Bond as a white Scotsman for Christ's sake.  
View Quote

IIRC, Fleming didn't give Bond any kind of Scottish background in the novels until AFTER the they started releasing films starring Sean Connery.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:41:27 PM EDT
[#29]
He might actually work, but I remember that they once floated Cuba Gooding Jr as a possible Bond, so meh...

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:43:18 PM EDT
[#30]
I think he's be great.  Amaziing actor with good range.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:45:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Name's Bond, Jamal Bond.
View Quote

LOL
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:52:41 PM EDT
[#32]
The new "M" will be played by Al Sharpton
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:55:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
This has nothing to do with getting the best possible actor (what's wrong with Daniel Craig?) for the role. This is a Hollywood studio wanting to cast a black man, just because.

View Quote

I agree, totally.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:55:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
WTF?

View Quote

Yeah, and THOR is a man.

We will have a male Wonder Woman next.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:57:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

From what I hear, Clooney would be quite comfortable accepting Shaft.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:04:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yeah, and THOR is a man.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
WTF?

Yeah, and THOR is a man.

Or worse -  "Wonder Tranny"  
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:06:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
WTF?

No. Bond was written with a white British character in mind. The name James Bond was taken from a white ornithologist a real person( "It struck me that this brief, unromantic, Anglo-Saxon and yet very masculine name was just what I needed, and so a second James Bond was born")  , and the 007 was taken from a real person, English Spy John Dee, a white man.

Most of the character traits were taken from Ian Fleming himself, a white guy by the way, who was a Commander of the 30th Assault Unit, a commando unit. In a sense, Fleming was bond, he was a very high ranking intelligence officer in a Special Intelligence Commando Unit.

I'm sorry, but I cannot accept a black guy as James Bond. There is nothing racist about it, Bond is based on real people, mainly the author who was white.

Make a new movie in the Bond universe, with a new special agent, or let Bond die and let this guy be assigned the same numerical code but with his own name. Hell, build the character, go through hos history, show where is nearly despised by the old guard for taking Bond's number,  but let the movie resolve itself with this new character finding the killer, a new villain that was seeking revenge for a family member that was an old villain.

Simple.

But there is no way this guy can be Bond.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:08:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:12:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

No. Bond was written with a white British character in mind. The name James Bond was taken from a white ornithologist a real person( "It struck me that this brief, unromantic, Anglo-Saxon and yet very masculine name was just what I needed, and so a second James Bond was born")  , and the 007 was taken from a real person, English Spy John Dee, a white man.

Most of the character traits were taken from Ian Fleming himself, a white guy by the way, who was a Commander of the 30th Assault Unit, a commando unit. In a sense, Fleming was bond, he was a very high ranking intelligence officer in a Special Intelligence Commando Unit.

I'm sorry, but I cannot accept a black guy as James Bond. There is nothing racist about it, Bond is based on real people, mainly the author who was white.

Make a new movie in the Bond universe, with a new special agent, or let Bond die and let this guy be assigned the same numerical code but with his own name. Hell, build the character, go through hos history, show where is nearly despised by the old guard for taking Bond's name,  but let the movie resolve itself with this new character finding the killer, a new villain that was seeking revenge for a family member that was an old villain.

Simple.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
WTF?

Make a new movie in the Bond universe, with a new special agent, or let Bond die and let this guy be assigned the same numerical code but with his own name. Hell, build the character, go through hos history, show where is nearly despised by the old guard for taking Bond's name,  but let the movie resolve itself with this new character finding the killer, a new villain that was seeking revenge for a family member that was an old villain.

Simple.

But color has nothing to do with portrayal of a fictional character who was simply inspired by actual people. The only factor that should be involved is whether or not Elba can realistically portray a smooth, masculine, and dominant character such as Bond, and the answer to that based on his previous roles is absolutely.

Not everything has to ring true to originals; Hell, Jesus wasn't white yet Americans depict him as such on a daily basis. Elba definitely has both the acting chops and the charm to take on the role.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:13:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Dumb idea, IMO.  I like him as an actor.  Not in this role, though.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:15:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
That'll kill the Bond film series.

PC is PC but this is bullshit.  What's next?  A lesbian, handicapped James Bond?

It's like a progressive circle-jerk to watch remakes of movies with black people and women instead of the original.  
View Quote

Jane Bond.  I can see it now, and wouldn't be surprised.

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:16:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Jesus, like David, was ruddy complected, meaning easy to show blood in the face, or easy to see them blush. They both had reddish hair.

It means a fair blood- tinged naturally red complexion. Usually people with ruddy complexions are very fair skinned that has a translucent character. The capillaries (or tiny little blood vessels where arteries turn into veins from the release of oxygen into cells and uptake of carbon dioxide from cells) are more visible to the naked eye giving the complexion a reddish look. They blush in a magnificent way and turn very red with strong emotion such as anger. The pale considerable with fear and are the people that "turn white as a sheet". This is from capillary constriction from the fight or flight response.. It used to be called a florid complexion.Irish/English/Scottish ancestry is common.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:17:14 PM EDT
[#43]
I like him as an actor.  Just not sure about Bond though.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:17:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Hope it happens.

I would actually pay money to see it. Which is all that matters to the studio.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:19:32 PM EDT
[#45]
If it's going to be a black man, I vote for Bill Cosby.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:21:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Clive Owen is the definition of British coolness. He's got my vote.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:24:30 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
But color has nothing to do with portrayal of a fictional character who was simply inspired by actual people. The only factor that should be involved is whether or not Elba can realistically portray a smooth, masculine, and dominant character such as Bond, and the answer to that based on his previous roles is absolutely.

Not everything has to ring true to originals; Hell, Jesus wasn't white yet Americans depict him as such on a daily basis. Elba definitely has both the acting chops and the charm to take on the role.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF?

Simple.

Stay true to the character. It deserves more than that. From You Only Live Once:

"Bond's parents were given as Andrew Bond, from the village of Glencoe, Scotland, and Monique Delacroix, from the canton of Vaud, Switzerland."

Come on man! I think Ben Affleck would have done just as great a great job as Cinqué in Amistad too...
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:25:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Jesus, like David, was ruddy complected, meaning easy to show blood in the face, or easy to see them blush. They both had reddish hair.

It means a fair blood- tinged naturally red complexion. Usually people with ruddy complexions are very fair skinned that has a translucent character. The capillaries (or tiny little blood vessels where arteries turn into veins from the release of oxygen into cells and uptake of carbon dioxide from cells) are more visible to the naked eye giving the complexion a reddish look. They blush in a magnificent way and turn very red with strong emotion such as anger. The pale considerable with fear and are the people that "turn white as a sheet". This is from capillary constriction from the fight or flight response.. It used to be called a florid complexion.Irish/English/Scottish ancestry is common.
View Quote

stahp, just stahp.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:26:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fleming's rendition

timothy dalton was the closest to the books.  ironic considering his scripts had nothing to do with the books.

He often mentioned in the books he looked like hoagy charmichael.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:29:28 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Make a new movie in the Bond universe, with a new special agent, or let Bond die and let this guy be assigned the same numerical code but with his own name. Hell, build the character, go through hos history, show where is nearly despised by the old guard for taking Bond's number,  but let the movie resolve itself with this new character finding the killer, a new villain that was seeking revenge for a family member that was an old villain.

Simple.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Simple.

Have you not watched any of the Bond movies from the last two decades? The only thing most of those Bond characters had in common with the book Bond is skin color and UK nationality. Who cares about a 1940s Bond? I just want to watch a movie that isn't garbage. Was a Texas Holdem tournament in the book series too?
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top