Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 6:11:03 PM EDT
[#1]
The firearm is yours to risk.  I would have a collapsible baton and/or a sap.  Also look at the chairs or other furniture or furnishings that can be broken up or taken apart and used as a weapon
I own page 2.  First time!
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 6:14:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do teachers still have the 10" forged (all) steel scissors in their desk?
But, I never accepted shelter in place.  I'd open a window and have the kids jump out and run in zig-zag patterns.
View Quote

or this.

Link Posted: 3/6/2018 6:14:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
OP, it absolutely would cost you your job.

And you'd be a national hero and get a new job at a new school that appreciates a hero teacher.
View Quote
Its weird. I know that having a gun stowed secretly at school is the best option, but that stupid law-abiding part of me is what causes me to hesitate. I have a big enough classroom that I could hide it anywhere, and if I were to get caught with it, the principal is actually great enough that he would tell me to take it home or do a better job at hiding it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 6:16:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Its weird. I know that having a gun stowed secretly at school is the best option, but that stupid law-abiding part of me is what causes me to hesitate. I have a big enough classroom that I could hide it anywhere, and if I were to get caught with it, the principal is actually great enough that he would tell me to take it home or do a better job at hiding it.
View Quote
Having a gun stowed in a classroom seems like a piss poor option to me with a bunch of kids in it

At worst it should be in your briefcase.

Youre also betting your career for the very very very slim chance you are involved in a school shooting.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 6:19:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Depends on the layout of the room. Probably have the kids get to the deepest corner the shooter would have to dig, and then crouch LOW with some sort or chair leg just inside the door. When the muzzle starts coming into the doorway, push up on the rifle and then beat the shit out of the shooter with the hasty weapon.

I used to do something similar to this as OPFOR in the Marines, and I always got the upper hand on the 1-man in the door.
View Quote
The door is the biggest weapon in the room.

If you don't have door locks or the door gets opened, as soon as he starts entering the room and enough meat is in the frame, hit the door with all you have then wrench it open and destroy him with the aforementioned baseball bat.

You should be near the door anyway.

Hiding and locking a gun in your class room is always a bad idea.  If it is not on you, you never know what the disposition of it is.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 6:20:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Thought: be one of the staff 'IN the know' on the 'drill' that becomes the shooting.

also, decorative melee weapons displays. I guess history teachers have it easy.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 6:21:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Having a gun stowed in a classroom seems like a piss poor option to me with a bunch of kids in it

At worst it should be in your briefcase.

Youre also betting your career for the very very very slim chance you are involved in a school shooting.
View Quote
Also a very good point. In 15 years of teaching, I have been involved with only one real lockdown and that was for a misunderstanding. I do have a smaller room inside the classroom that is always locked where I store anatomy stuff. I figured a locked pistol case in a file cabinet would be pretty secure there. But you are right, it is a big risk.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 6:22:09 PM EDT
[#8]
1 jam the door so it cannot be opened. if necessary wedge all of the desks between the door and the wall so they cannot be pushed out of the way. even if they have to stretch across the room to doc it. This works best if doors open inward. if the doors open outward, I'd look for something I could secure to the door handle / knob and anchor to something sturdy. I'd secure, then use something to twist it. which would shorten it and put it under tension to prevent the door from opening.

2 barricade as much stuff in front of the door as possible. if you cannot prevent them from opening the door, make it difficult for them to gain further entry. Time is on your side.

3) be ready with a  plan for when they do get in anyway. table legs / desk legs / etc make decent weapons. broken glass with a handle made from tape can make a decent knife

4) can you electrify the door knob? MacGyver did it, why can't you?

5) any cleaning supplies / solvents - shit to the face and eyes can be effective. or they can be used as a torch with a lighter. people don't like being set on fire and tend to move their focus to not being on fire.

6) get the bulk of the students away from the fatal funnel that surrounds the doorway
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 6:22:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Reinforced door.

If something takes too much time, they will move on to easy targets
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 6:22:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
OP, it absolutely would cost you your job.
And you'd be a national hero and get a new job at a new school that appreciates a hero teacher.
View Quote
Yeah, sure. And Darren Wilson will be the SRO.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 6:23:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I told my kids if they are near the door and most likely to be shot, go try to get your pencil in the attacker's neck.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 6:24:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
1 jam the door so it cannot be opened. if necessary wedge all of the desks between the door and the wall so they cannot be pushed out of the way. even if they have to stretch across the room to doc it. This works best if doors open inward. if the doors open outward, I'd look for something I could secure to the door handle / knob and anchor to something sturdy. I'd secure, then use something to twist it. which would shorten it and put it under tension to prevent the door from opening.

2 barricade as much stuff in front of the door as possible. if you cannot prevent them from opening the door, make it difficult for them to gain further entry. Time is on your side.

3) be ready with a  plan for when they do get in anyway. table legs / desk legs / etc make decent weapons. broken glass with a handle made from tape can make a decent knife

4) can you electrify the door knob? MacGyver did it, why can't you?

5) any cleaning supplies / solvents - shit to the face and eyes can be effective. or they can be used as a torch with a lighter. people don't like being set on fire and tend to move their focus to not being on fire.

6) get the bulk of the students away from the fatal funnel that surrounds the doorway
View Quote
Good stuff to think about. Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 6:26:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I’d have everyone do a traditional “Duck & Cover,” while I jumped out a window to go get help.

I don’t give a shit about your kids.
View Quote
And the parents don't give a rat's ass about you since in defense of their kids, they expect you to take on armed intruders with a blackboard eraser and lay down your life because they hate guns.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 6:26:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Flag pole

Link Posted: 3/6/2018 6:26:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Break the leg off a table. Hide beside door.  When gunman enters, whack him over the head with all of your might like you’re trying to kill a big mudcat.

When he falls on his face, take his weapons and hold your foot on his neck.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 6:27:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Lol how merica would it be to run a flag pole through a school shooter
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 6:27:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Guillotine style paper cutter.
View Quote
Make the blade & handle QD. Use it as the hasty weapon in the previously described opfor tactic.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 6:28:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
OC spray and LOTS of it
Fogg out the hallway, lock and barricade the door, push kids out the window, fog the room and haul ass.
My wife is a teacher, this is the plan I concocted for her.
I gave her several LE cans of OC fog spray
It’s hard to aim with pepper in your eyes and windpipe
View Quote
Gas Mask
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 6:29:19 PM EDT
[#19]
When I was a kid, another student tried to hit me in the head with a chair. I managed to grab it and jam it into his face. Seemed to damage his face decent enough. But if you're looking at bringing something from home that wouldn't be identified as weapons, some double sized cans of baked beans would probably bust up someone's face.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 6:29:57 PM EDT
[#20]
We are now just about reaching the school shooter demographic that has actually participated in classroom lockdown drills to understand the tactic of lock the door and hide in the furthest parts of the room, so I think that strategy will become a lot weaker as time goes on.   In Florida, that was defeated by tripping the fire alarm, and if I remember correctly there was shooting through the doors in Sandy Hook.  I don't think it fools anyone during school hours that there is an empty room behind the locked door, so I would depart from the conventional wisdom of staying still and quiet, and work on putting up obstacles (filing cabinets, furniture, etc.) against the door to hinder visibility and keep it from being opened, and hope to absorb some shots.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 6:30:47 PM EDT
[#21]
OP, how about RUN OUT THE FUCKING BUILDING?

Standard M.O. for a school shooter is to play "First Person shooter" through the game "maze" which means they are gonna go room to room "clearing" them.

1. when you hear gun fire run in the opposite direction.  This is a school meaning it is designed to be exited quickly for fire, you should be no more than 30 feet from any exit door.  
2. while running tell the kids to zig zag and not bunch up

But above all GET THE FUCK OUT OF THE BUILDING.  being a gun guy who damn well know that drywall and cheap wooden doors aren't gonna stop a 9mm let alone a 5.56
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 6:31:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’d have everyone do a traditional “Duck & Cover,” while I jumped out a window to go get help.

I don’t give a shit about your kids.
View Quote
And the parents don't give a rat's ass about you since in defense of their kids, they expect you to take on armed intruders with a blackboard eraser and Kay down your life because they hate guns.
View Quote
Funny thing is, while I was making a joke, your reply was serious, and 100% correct, IMO.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 6:31:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Just like in The Patriot
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 6:34:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Bring in your own locker - for your coat & bag of course.  Shove locker in front of door - and while you're at it, put some steel plate in the locker  too?  And med kits.  Might as well be prepared.

Now personally, if the threat was on the other side of the door, and you could escape to safety through the window... I'd take one of those plates (or anything else you had handy) and break that window open.  Then again to me a "school lockdown" also creates a deathtrap for students. So use your own judgement on that one.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 6:38:58 PM EDT
[#25]
If you have a heavy wood door and steel door frame, quickly wedge stacked pennies/coins as tight as possible into the joints between the wood door and frame in several places on both sides. The pressure created is significant and can help add additional door security and help prevent or slow entry.  Prepare a display using steel poles or similar items that you can quickly place between door and opposite wall.  A lighter and certain aerosol cans make a decent flamethrower, for a few extra seconds or last chance surprise (same with pepper sprays).
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 6:41:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

If you don't have door locks or the door gets opened, as soon as he starts entering the room and enough meat is in the frame, hit the door with all you have then wrench it open and destroy him with the aforementioned baseball bat.

Hiding and locking a gun in your class room is always a bad idea.  If it is not on you, you never know what the disposition of it is.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Depends on the layout of the room. Probably have the kids get to the deepest corner the shooter would have to dig, and then crouch LOW with some sort or chair leg just inside the door. When the muzzle starts coming into the doorway, push up on the rifle and then beat the shit out of the shooter with the hasty weapon.

I used to do something similar to this as OPFOR in the Marines, and I always got the upper hand on the 1-man in the door.

Suddenly, I have a mental image:
A baseball bat wielding teacher standing victoriously over a bloodied and beaten unconscious school shooter.

It's epic. I like it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 6:41:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I would have one of these in my room because of reasons.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/137867/87532972-473727.JPG
View Quote
Came to post this... and a socket or screwdriver to take the arm off.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 6:43:02 PM EDT
[#28]
grab a kid by the ankles and swing them like a bat.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 6:44:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Guillotine style paper cutter.
View Quote
Ala The Faculty.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 6:45:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 6:46:03 PM EDT
[#31]
McGyver
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 6:50:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
You would get all the single mom BJs
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 6:53:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Sports equipment blends in at a school.  Baseball bat can work, in fact I'd get one with a "favorite team on it" and put it up like a display.

You could also get a cricket bat and print "Board of Education" on it.
View Quote
Swing away Merrill . . .

Link Posted: 3/6/2018 6:54:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I grew up watching MacGyver.  I would kill the assailant using a bomb constructed from a chewing gum wrapper, a paperclip and a 9 volt battery.
View Quote
Fail!  You neglected to mention the Swiss Army Knife you used to build the bomb.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 6:55:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Lots of variables to cover but one thing that is consistent from my knowledge is they always take place during the day. Cover all windows. Make the classroom as dark as possible. Going from a lighted hallway into a dark room without a weapon mounted light (which the shooters never have) gives you a huge advantage. I like my chances in a dark room, behind a door or corner with a baseball bat against the shooter, much better than in plain view. Give me one shot with a bat and that fucker will be out of commission.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 6:56:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Ceiling mounted claymore with remote switch in locked drawer in teachers desk.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 6:58:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
What is this "without a gun" shit?  I always have a gun on me.
View Quote
This. Whatever happened to “concealed means concealed?”

These threads always make me think of the carry threads where small guys carry full size pistols and claim it’s concealed. There’s a world of difference between concealed per letter of the law and concealed to where you don’t fear exposure outside of a pat down.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 6:58:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Fortunately I teach science, so I have three of them inside my classroom. Which makes me wonder if the previous teacher caused a lot of fires?
View Quote
You teach science and you're asking about weapons in your class room?

What kind of science teacher can't whip up some kind of explosive or debilitating device in mere seconds to use against an attacker?

You need more practice.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 7:01:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Throw a desk through a window, and then begin tossing students out before following behind them after they were all safely away.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 7:01:08 PM EDT
[#40]
These gutless cowards that come in and shoot up a school are not the most tactical.  They have a hand gun, in most recent cases a rifle.   I don't mean to sound like a hero, but seeing how these gutless pathetic excuses for  humans have zero respect for others lives, I honestly think I would stand right next to the door opening, maybe even unlocked, so he would come into the class.  I would try and reach over and push his gun into the air.  I know this would be tougher and would take some practice, and stupidity on the gutless coward shooter, but if i could get my hands on the rifle barrel I'd swing it up in the air and rip the guys head off his torso
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 7:02:08 PM EDT
[#41]
They just did a weapon/not a weapon discussion, lots of good ideas there.

Lots of good ones here too.

A native American "display" with a bow and arrow?
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 7:02:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Grab the fire extinguisher and be prepared to cover him in dust and beat his brains out with the canister.
View Quote
That was my first idea - ironically. Aim for the eyes / face as he comes in the door
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 7:04:10 PM EDT
[#43]
I went to deal conducted by a police officer that specifically covered that scenario.

After I listened to him and how they basically shit on the average citizen because those fuckers are gonna go home safe no matter what, I figured it was in my best interest to get the fuck out of there no matter what.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 7:05:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Stack the kids up against the door according to intellect. Stupid kids first and moving up the curve as we go further back.
View Quote
Pick up the stupidest kid in the class and use him/her as a shield until you get close enough to throw the kid at the shooter.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 7:07:00 PM EDT
[#45]
My two backup weapons.........knife and sap.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 7:10:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Grenade launcher or maybe a flame thrower.
View Quote
I have always wondered about using a flamethrower as a defensive weapon.

Someone, a serious shooter, attacks the school and Whoosh! He drops his rifle and leaves a screaming, burning smoking heap of misery and pain and drops dead outside the school building.

The authorities go through his computer etc and find he had been planning this for weeks.

You have just saved the lives of countless little kids.

Explain yourself to the school committee. Hilarity is sure to ensue.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 7:11:36 PM EDT
[#47]
A FUCKING PENCIL

Link Posted: 3/6/2018 7:11:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You teach science and you're asking about weapons in your class room?

What kind of science teacher can't whip up some kind of explosive or debilitating device in mere seconds to use against an attacker?

You need more practice.
View Quote
I have a lot of stuff available. Though, I am a bit hesitant when it comes to throwing hydrochloric acid or setting off calcium carbide bombs in an already crazy event.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 7:13:49 PM EDT
[#49]
I have a large Master lock that I can snap onto the leather shoulder strap of my softside briefcase. I keep it in the front pouch. Takes me about ten seconds to unclip the shoulder strap and attach the padlock through the leather strap (I don't trust the pot metal clips to hold up to the first hit). Practice with this is hugely important. You don't want to break your own leg or give yourself a concussion with it.

In my office, I also have a toolbox with various tools to include a claw hammer.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 7:15:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

And the parents don't give a rat's ass about you since in defense of their kids, they expect you to take on armed intruders with a blackboard eraser and lay down your life because they hate guns.
View Quote
Which is why I wonder if I would even bother trying to shoot a school shooter, especially in blue states.

You would be lucky to have the parents sponsor a fucking bake sale to help with your legal expenses.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top