Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 15
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 6:08:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I found this pdf interesting reading regarding Lutheran-Catholic Dialogue (concerning invocation of saints and Mary)

https://www.lcms.org/Document.fdoc?src=lcm&id=328

Pope Pius IX comes off as a dick....

Pope Pius IX , speaking after the First Vatican Council, included anathemas against any who do not
accept their teaching. After defining the Immaculate Conception, for example,
Pius IX continues:
Hence, if anyone shall dare--which God forbid!--to think otherwise than
as has been defined by Us, let him know and understand that he is
condemned by his own judgment; that he has suffered shipwreck in the
faith; that he has defected from the unity of the Church; and that,
furthermore, by his own action he incurs the penalties established by
law if he should dare to express in words or writing or by any other
outward means the errors he thinks in his heart.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 6:11:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

John Calvin denounced his former friend and long-time penpal, polymath and physician Micheal Servetus over disagreement on the nature of the trinity and infant baptism. When he came to hear Calvin preach Calvin had him arrested as he left the church and tried him for heresy. Servetus was burned at the stake, the fire fueled with his own books, his last words praying to Christ for mercy. Calvin was lauded as a defender of the faith.

I attended Calvin college for a bit during my faith crisis. It actually helped clarify things.

Luther wanted Servetus burned too.
View Quote
Calvin was super serious.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 6:16:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Because she's dead and the dead don't communicate with the living.
View Quote
The Bible clearly says that those who die in Christ are not dead but live with Him and are part of his Church.   Scripture tells us it is good to pray for each other and pray with each other.  Thus, our brothers and sisters who have moved on pray for us and it is regarded the same thing to ask your neighbor for prayers.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 6:21:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The Bible clearly says that those who die in Christ are not dead but live with Him and are part of his Church.   Scripture tells us it is good to pray for each other and pray with each other.  Thus, our brothers and sisters who have moved on pray for us and it is regarded the same thing to ask your neighbor for prayers.
View Quote
Their souls have moved on but the flesh is left behind. I never understood people that pray for the body.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 6:21:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Did you see anyone praying to, or mentioning, the donkey, or any other part of the Nativity Scene?

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee; blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen

To my non-Catholic eye, that looks a lot like a prayer, including the "Amen" at the end.

The Son of God said that He alone could make intercession for us.    No direction to seek others to intercede for us.

That's what I said.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Did you see anyone praying to, or mentioning, the donkey, or any other part of the Nativity Scene?

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee; blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen

To my non-Catholic eye, that looks a lot like a prayer, including the "Amen" at the end.

The Son of God said that He alone could make intercession for us.    No direction to seek others to intercede for us.

That's what I said.
You have a tad bit of reading comprehension failure. You ignored the part I bolded for you.  If we were praying TO her, why would we ask her to pray FOR us?  What you have posted is exactly what we have been trying to explain to you--that the intercession of the saints is regarded exactly the same thing as asking a fellow christian to pray FOR you.  You ever ask a fellow Christian to pray for you?

Also let me point you to Luke:
  Luke 1:26-38King James Version (KJV)
26 And in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God unto a city of Galilee, named Nazareth,

27 To a virgin espoused to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin's name was Mary.

28 And the angel came in unto her, and said, Hail, thou that art highly favoured, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women.  
The "Hail Mary" is mostly a direct quote from the angel Gabriel. Are you saying that Gabriel was praying to Mary?
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 6:35:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I found Catholic mass to be boring and I disliked how they taught me that the way to heaven is through the priest. I now go to a non-denominational Christian church that is not boring and teaches me the bible in a way that I understand. Additionally, I agree with Christians that the path to heaven is based on a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

Sadly both groups have a large portion of hypocrites...
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 6:40:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I found Catholic mass to be boring and I disliked how they taught me that the way to heaven is through the priest. I now go to a non-denominational Christian church that is not boring and teaches me the bible in a way that I understand. Additionally, I agree with Christians that the path to heaven is based on a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

Sadly both groups have a large portion of hypocrites...
View Quote
Well, I sincerely doubt that was what they said.

That said, to it truly can take years to comprehend some points of Catholic doctrine, as in some cases it has literally 2000 of discernment behind it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 6:42:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
"Ignorance in this area is unacceptable because ignorance costs Millions of babies their lives and jeopardizes the souls of many Catholic voters. On the other hand, if you do know which candidate and party want to promote and expand abortion and you still to enable them to continue their war on the unborn it is my duty as a priest to tell you that your soul will be in grave danger, especially if you present yourself for Holy Communion after casting a vote in the full knowledge of what you are doing."
View Quote
Boom.

And totally correct.

Honestly, I tend to dislike any political grandstanding during Mass, but I think this is the exception that proves the rule.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 6:49:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I think there is a higher power.

I think that higher power looks down on ALL of these folks making a MINT on what they claim is "his word".

For my money, the biggest hypocrites are the "born again" types. Thieving liars out to make a buck. Send in your money for salvation.....

Link Posted: 1/9/2018 6:54:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Transubstantiation
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 8:01:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because she's dead and the dead don't communicate with the living.
Here's the truth according to the Bible. Spend an hour and learn.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 8:19:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 8:23:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I think there is a higher power.

I think that higher power looks down on ALL of these folks making a MINT on what they claim is "his word".

For my money, the biggest hypocrites are the "born again" types. Thieving liars out to make a buck. Send in your money for salvation.....

View Quote
Might want to read John 3.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 8:29:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Ya'll need to just follow the same Bible the original 12 did.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 8:29:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Guilt.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 8:30:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Institutionalized abuse of children.
View Quote
That's all religions
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 8:30:28 PM EDT
[#17]
double tap
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 8:30:41 PM EDT
[#18]
triple tap
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 8:36:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
triple tap
View Quote
You do know they have rules against this and they will ban you for it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 8:51:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Most Christians are Catholic.

"They hate us 'cause they ain't us"

Most Crusades? Check
Most Hospitals? Check
Most Schools? Check
Most charities? Check
Coolest churches? Check
An entire city in Italy roped off? Check
Signature series bullet proof car? Check
Kick ass hats? Check

Catholic Church - 1.285 billion
(Make up the majority of all Christians, perform more charity work than all other churches combined, have wicked sweet buildings, have their own nation state, frequently ask Mary to see if her son can help them which pisses the other churches off for some reason.)

Independent Catholicism - 18 million
(Catholic but not too crazy about Rome)

Now the list of new start up and/or "fad" churches.

Protestantism - 920 million
(About half are Baptists of around 700 variations,
Anglicanism - 85 million
(Won't admit they are Protestant) a splash of  Methodists, about 2 dozen Lutherans with the balance being made up of Kentucky snake charmers)

Eastern Orthodox Church - 270 million
(know Mary was a cool chick, but not Catholic cool)

Restorationism and Nontrinitarianism - 35 million
(Mormons, Jehovas, scientologists, etc.)

Minor branches - 1 million
(Down with JC but too crazy to be allowed in other churches )
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 9:05:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Most Christians are Catholic.

"They hate us 'cause they ain't us"

Most Crusades? Check
Most Hospitals? Check
Most Schools? Check
Most charities? Check
Coolest churches? Check
An entire city in Italy roped off? Check
Signature series bullet proof car? Check
Kick ass hats? Check

Catholic Church - 1.285 billion
(Make up the majority of all Christians, perform more charity work than all other churches combined, have wicked sweet buildings, have their own nation state, frequently ask Mary to see if her son can help them which pisses the other churches off for some reason.)

Independent Catholicism - 18 million
(Catholic but not too crazy about Rome)

Now the list of new start up and/or "fad" churches.

Protestantism - 920 million
(About half are Baptists of around 700 variations, a splash of  Methodists, about 2 dozen Lutherans with the balance being made up of Kentucky snake charmers)

Anglicanism - 85 million
(Won't admit they are Protestant)

Eastern Orthodox Church - 270 million
(know Mary was a cool chick, but not Catholic cool)

Oriental Orthodoxy – 86 million
(Same as above but got into a fight and broke up)

Restorationism and Nontrinitarianism - 35 million
(Mormons, Jehovas, scientologists, etc.)

Minor branches - 1 million
(Down with JC but too crazy to be allowed in other churches )
View Quote
Technically looking at your numbers, wouldn’t there be more “non” catholics..?  
Now, Catholics are the largest Christian Church if you want to say it that way.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 9:14:28 PM EDT
[#22]
The baptist school I attended taught us that Catholics were not really Christians and that rhey were going to hell
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 9:36:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Well, which is it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Well, which is it?
Well, in a legal briefing, they pray the court.

Again, the Catechism states

"All generations will call me blessed": "The Church's devotion to the Blessed Virgin is intrinsic to Christian worship."515 The Church rightly honors "the Blessed Virgin with special devotion. From the most ancient times the Blessed Virgin has been honored with the title of 'Mother of God,' to whose protection the faithful fly in all their dangers and needs. . . . This very special devotion . . . differs essentially from the adoration which is given to the incarnate Word and equally to the Father and the Holy Spirit, and greatly fosters this adoration."516 The liturgical feasts dedicated to the Mother of God and Marian prayer, such as the rosary, an "epitome of the whole Gospel," express this devotion to the Virgin Mary
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 9:40:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Chatichims, Book of Mormon, Ellen G White, Mary Baker Eddy, Calvin, Luther etc.  Why not just use the Bible so everyone is on the same page so to speak?
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 9:43:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

This.
View Quote
Celebrating Christmas and Easter is a non-biblical tradition.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 9:49:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Chatichims, Book of Mormon, Ellen G White, Mary Baker Eddy, Calvin, Luther etc.  Why not just use the Bible so everyone is on the same page so to speak?
View Quote
What particular Bible should we use?
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 9:55:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 9:55:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

What particular Bible should we use?
View Quote
I haven't read them all but the basic message and doctrines are pretty much the same in all of them. I assume one goes as close to the source as possible.
edit to add. The dead sea scrolls proved the modern Bibles were almost word for word in iirc the book of Isaiah.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 10:00:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Technically looking at your numbers, wouldn’t there be more “non” catholics..?  
Now, Catholics are the largest Christian Church if you want to say it that way.
View Quote
Nope, the 85 million Anglicanismers are included in the Protestant number and the Orientals are included in the Eastern Orthodoctors numbers. I admit the format appears to look like they are seperate so I have removed them to avoid confusion.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 10:01:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Footnote...

Easter:

Easter, a much earlier development than Christmas, was simply the gradual Christian reinterpretation of Passover in terms of Jesus’ Passion. Its observance could even be implied in the New Testament (1 Corinthians 5:7–8: “Our paschal lamb, Christ, has been sacrificed. Therefore let us celebrate the festival…”); it was certainly a distinctively Christian feast by the mid-second century C.E., when the apocryphal text known as the Epistle to the Apostles has Jesus instruct his disciples to “make commemoration of [his] death, that is, the Passover.”
Christmas:
In an old list of Roman bishops, compiled in A. D. 354 these words appear for A.D. 336: "25 Dec.: natus Christus in Betleem Judeae." December 25th, Christ born in Bethlehem, Judea.
This day, December 25, 336, is the first recorded celebration of Christmas.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 10:07:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Both believe that a being created the entire universe, but one group thinks they can impress said inventor of life and all things known through their good works, while the other understands that we are saved through His grace alone.
View Quote
You need to read “The Sheep and the Goats” (Matthew 25:31-46).
I'm pretty sure your wrong.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 10:10:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

And, no offense intended at all, but surely you must realize that what you posted means absolutely nothing to a Protestant.  We could not care less what your Catechism says.

Sola Scriptura.
View Quote
The point is proving your assertion incorrect, again, despite the fact it was on the definition of pray for which your understanding that was incomplete.

Where in the Bible does Jesus even command the creation of a textual record, and then say it solely sufficient? Considering there were no written records from the Resurrection until around 65AD, what the Church's authority during that period?

Were it not for the teaching Magisterium, there would be no Canon of scripture to begin with.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 10:12:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Pope is unscriptural. Nobody is between the individual and Jesus Christ.
View Quote
Hmmmm, something about keys, rocks, bound or unbound.
Isn't there a book you believe has the correct answer?
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 10:15:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 10:16:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Catholicism is a comfortable culture for peasants who can look to Padre, while Protestantism is a creed for the free and self-reliant.

Just the way I see it, after spending twelve years in their schools, and interacting with the Catholic peasants who are swarming into my County.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 10:18:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The baptist school I attended taught us that Catholics were not really Christians and that rhey were going to hell
View Quote
Well...there have been plenty of popes that have said everyone outside their church are going too....
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 10:18:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

And, no offense intended at all, but surely you must realize that what you posted means absolutely nothing to a Protestant.  We could not care less what your Catechism says.

Sola Scriptura.
View Quote
Except the parts you don’t like such as “this is my body and this is my blood.”

Besides, I’m sure you realize that the Chatechism is just a compendium of beliefs and not the source of beliefs—all of which have Biblical basis. The Chatechism is just an explanation of what Catholicism is about and if you really cared or wanted to know what Catholics actually believe, the Chatechism is a real summary, not Jack Chick.  That was a pretty arrogant and condescending remark—not typical of you. Are you doing okay?
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 10:18:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Sola Scriptura.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, which is it?
Well, in a legal briefing, they pray the court.

Again, the Catechism states

"All generations will call me blessed": "The Church's devotion to the Blessed Virgin is intrinsic to Christian worship."515 The Church rightly honors "the Blessed Virgin with special devotion. From the most ancient times the Blessed Virgin has been honored with the title of 'Mother of God,' to whose protection the faithful fly in all their dangers and needs. . . . This very special devotion . . . differs essentially from the adoration which is given to the incarnate Word and equally to the Father and the Holy Spirit, and greatly fosters this adoration."516 The liturgical feasts dedicated to the Mother of God and Marian prayer, such as the rosary, an "epitome of the whole Gospel," express this devotion to the Virgin Mary

Sola Scriptura.
No offense intended but you promote something, Sola Scriptura, that Jesus and the apostles themselves did not believe, nor promote, while they spread the Gospel to the world.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 10:20:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Catholicism is a comfortable culture for peasants who can look to Padre, while Protestantism is a creed for the free and self-reliant.

Just the way I see it, after spending twelve years in their schools, and interacting with the Catholic peasants who are swarming into my County.
View Quote
LOL. Looking at Henry VIII and a plethora of TV preachers I see a strong contradiction to your premise.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 10:20:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I've already given you the Scripture and you ignored it.

I guess we are through.

Have a good evening.
View Quote
2 Timothy? I'd love to do the exegesis of that passage. The "Scripture" referenced was the Old Testament, as Timothy references his knowledge from infancy, which would necessitate it not being the New Testament.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 10:32:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

LOL. Looking at Henry VIII and a plethora of TV preachers I see a strong contradiction to your premise.
View Quote
-In Europe, self reliant Protestants in the Low Countries threw off the Catholic Habsburg yoke and prospered. In the following century they built a world empire that spanned the globe while Catholic Habsburg Spain stagnated.
-Protestant northern Europe: Netherlands, Scandinavia, the German States, Switzerland developed the ethos we associate with Western Civilization during and after the sixteenth century. The Catholic lands of Europe became the poor periphery.

In America, Catholic central and South America endured centuries of stagnation, tyranny, slavery.
Protestant North America extended and enhanced the ideas of individual responsibility, human freedom, rule of law.

Which Catholic country would YOU live in?
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 10:38:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

-In Europe, self reliant Protestants in the Low Countries threw off the Catholic Habsburg yoke and prospered. In the following century they built a world empire that spanned the globe while Catholic Habsburg Spain stagnated.
-Protestant northern Europe: Netherlands, Scandinavia, the German States, Switzerland developed the ethos we associate with Western Civilization during and after the sixteenth century. The Catholic lands of Europe became the poor periphery.

In America, Catholic central and South America endured centuries of stagnation, tyranny, slavery.
Protestant North America extended and enhanced the ideas of individual responsibility, human freedom, rule of law.
View Quote
In Europe Catholics retained knowledge that was lost in the dark ages and preserved the classics for future generations. Protestants were not “self reliant” as they succumbed under monarchs that were the rulers of their church while Italian, Spanish, and Portuguese Catholics opened up the New World and took trade as far as Japan. It’s rather ignorant of history to state that Catholicism was a stagnent force in that time period.  By your logic the Protestantism is to blame for the abuses of the British Empire and slavery in the American colonies.

You also forget in that “Northern European” group were the Catholic French who expanded and developed Canada and the Louisiana territories during the colonial period.  We can agree that European identity and ethics made our new world but to make it Protestant vs Catholic is ignorant of history
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 10:42:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

No offense intended but you promote something, Sola Scriptura, that Jesus and the apostles themselves did not believe, nor promote, while they spread the Gospel to the world.
View Quote
Please define what you believe Sola Scriptura means.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 10:43:33 PM EDT
[#44]
None of the "regulars" who discuss these topic means to be offensive. There aren't enough smileys to convey how a person is really talking. The way I try to approach it is not to win some argument but point out the truth or somebody (which is everybody) that explains it better than I do. There is a very good chance that every single sincere person in these thread will be in heaven no matter what church you go to. The worst thing we can do is not have an open mind to others beliefs without giving up our principles. As an example, I have a problem with the lack of reverence in some of the churches I've visited. It's partly a generational thing but Catholics and Baptists act like they are on sacred ground when in church. Others are more of a celebratory atmosphere. Does Jesus care? He looks at the heart.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 10:51:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 10:56:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
In Europe Catholics retained knowledge that was lost in the dark ages and preserved the classics for future generations. Protestants were not “self reliant” as they succumbed under monarchs that were the rulers of their church while Italian, Spanish, and Portuguese Catholics opened up the New World and took trade as far as Japan. It’s rather ignorant of history to state that Catholicism was a stagnent force in that time period.  By your logic the Protestantism is to blame for the abuses of the British Empire and slavery in the American colonies.

You also forget in that “Northern European” group were the Catholic French who expanded and developed Canada and the Louisiana territories during the colonial period.  We can agree that European identity and ethics made our new world but to make it Protestant vs Catholic is ignorant of history
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The British were beggars/pirates thieving what they could from the Spanish empire. Everyone empire has its rise and fall.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 10:59:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I'm just fine, my friend.  We believe differently.  Unlike Democrats that believe that if you disagree with them you are insane, I believe good men can disagree without being disagreeable.

Believe as you please, as I have said repeatedly.  I will do the same.
View Quote
I agree. We may be different flavors of ice cream but we still are, when you get down to brass tacks, We are still ice cream.

God bless you and yours.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 11:01:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The British were beggars/pirates thieving what they could from the Spanish empire. Everyone empire has its rise and fall.
View Quote
While British Protestants were spending all thier energy separating Catholics from their heads, Spaniards were driving Muslims from the Iberian peninsula , so we got that going for us.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 11:02:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The reformers principal thought that 'by Scripture alone' one should determine matters of faith and doctrine.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 11:09:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You also forget in that "Northern European" group were the Catholic French who expanded and developed Canada and the Louisiana territories during the colonial period.  We can agree that European identity and ethics made our new world but to make it Protestant vs Catholic is ignorant of history
View Quote
The parts of the Western Hemisphere dominated by Protestant culture have prospered. That includes Canada, since Wolfe defeated Montcalm, save Quebec, which proves my point.
The United States is another clear example.

The Catholic countries south of our border are a negative example. Mexico,Central and South America are favored by geography, climate and all resources. Tens of millions of their citizens flee, and try to enter OUR country, not because of poverty of resources. Because of culture. Catholic culture. The culture of Padre and Jefe.
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top