[#1]
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 8:06:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 8:28:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
exactly what I was thinking

Imagine if OHSA had existed.  we'd still be working on it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shorts, no shirts and no PPE.  How did they survive?
exactly what I was thinking

Imagine if OHSA had existed.  we'd still be working on it.
Holly hell now days some E9 would come up screaming about no PT belts and threaten to shut it all down and UCMJ for everyone not in full uniform and covered.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 8:40:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 8:53:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 11/27/2018 8:56:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 9:00:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

ME TOO

I wish there was some place where I could talk to people about it at the level that interests me. Seriously.

Those pictures have been in the wild a long, long time, OP. For ham nerds, look at the bomb test unit stack, and see if there's anything remotely familiar.
View Quote
I owned a Hallicrafters S-36 once upon a time, it worked great! Still have the SX-28 Super Skyrider in my shack.

I've been pondering over the inclusion of that rig in the test stack; monitoring for a UHF oscillator, used in a trigger mechanism, perhaps? It sure looks to be a signal test setup.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 9:04:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Very cool.

I found one little error, though-
Project A (Alberta) member CDR A. Francis Birch (left) numbers Little Boy Unit L-11 while Norman Ramsey (right) watches. This is the actual unit which was dropped on Nagasaki.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 9:04:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Now I need a shirt with that logo
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Love the  ' FatMan' logo on the coveralls.
Hey PSA

YOUR NEXT ROLLMARK!
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 9:08:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Also, I like to push pictures like this one:

https://gaijinpot.scdn3.secure.raxcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2016/02/Nagasaki.jpg

whenever I can. People are told that popping off a nuke, it'll be barren for a zillion years, no one can ever enter again, and who is left in that area will be horribly mutated. Guess where that is?
View Quote
But they were right that it glows in the dark!
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 9:09:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Alright now you guy's did it pulled out my Trinity & Beyond DVD
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 9:09:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

"Joint Army and Navy Command Fuck/Foul Up"

View Quote
That would be cool on a shirt.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 9:15:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

wasnt much left. seems like i heard more folks died in the tokoyo fire bombing than were killed by either of the atom bombs.

Operation Meetinghouse
Main article: Bombing of Tokyo (10 March 1945)

On the night of 910 March, 1945,[13] 334 B-29s took off to raid with 279 of them dropping 1,665 tons of bombs on Tokyo. The bombs were mostly the 500-pound (230 kg) E-46 cluster bomb which released 38 napalm-carrying M-69 incendiary bomblets at an altitude of 2,0002,500 ft (610760 m). The M-69s punched through thin roofing material or landed on the ground; in either case they ignited 35 seconds later, throwing out a jet of flaming napalm globs. A lesser number of M-47 incendiaries was also dropped: the M-47 was a 100-pound (45 kg) jelled-gasoline and white phosphorus bomb which ignited upon impact. In the first two hours of the raid, 226 of the attacking aircraft unloaded their bombs to overwhelm the city's fire defenses.[14] The first B-29s to arrive dropped bombs in a large X pattern centered in Tokyo's densely populated working class district near the docks in both Koto and Ch city wards on the water; later aircraft simply aimed near this flaming X. The individual fires caused by the bombs joined to create a general conflagration, which would have been classified as a firestorm but for prevailing winds gusting at 17 to 28 mph (27 to 45 km/h).[15] Approximately 15.8 square miles (4,090 ha) of the city were destroyed and some 100,000 people are estimated to have died.[16][17] A grand total of 282 of the 339 B-29s launched for "Meetinghouse" made it to the target, 27 of which were lost due to being shot down by Japanese air defenses, mechanical failure, or being caught in updrafts caused by the massive fires.[18]
View Quote
Can you imagine living there and surviving that? After a while you would wonder if anyone was going to be left alive.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 9:18:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I owned a Hallicrafters S-36 once upon a time, it worked great! Still have the SX-28 Super Skyrider in my shack.

I've been pondering over the inclusion of that rig in the test stack; monitoring for a UHF oscillator, used in a trigger mechanism, perhaps? It sure looks to be a signal test setup.
View Quote
I am guessing, the Archie final out was around 400Mhz, and the s36 was only up to like 140. But the IF was 30Mhz, so either they sampled that or maybe a doubler.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 9:19:21 PM EDT
[#15]
I went to college with a guy who claimed to be Paul Tibbets' nephew.

He didn't make a big deal of it, and only mentioned it once, so I assumed it was true.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 9:19:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I also find it fascinating (thx again, OP).

I'm especially intrigued by the photos of the very earliest stages, where mass is being converted to energy and conditions mimic the early universe:

https://i.stack.imgur.com/2mt4P.jpg

What a strange moment in time.
View Quote
These are the types of images that get stuck in a craw in the brain and never leave.

Fascinating.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 9:20:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Can you imagine living there and surviving that? After a while you would wonder if anyone was going to be left alive.
View Quote
There were literal fire tornados according to eye witnesses

Link Posted: 11/27/2018 9:30:03 PM EDT
[#18]
there's an Atomic museum in Albuquerque that's pretty cool & deals
with both these bombs very good
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 9:30:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 9:33:47 PM EDT
[#20]
One of the cooler experiences of my life was operating a flight from Narita to Saipan. Our approach to landing took us right over Tinian and the north field complex. I could clearly see the runways and the bomb loading pits. It was easy to imagine the hustle and bustle and overall urgency of operations that occurred there 70 years prior. To see it in its entirety first hand was pretty amazing.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 9:34:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

https://p47koji.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/smisek-100-5.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's probably the same case there, but I know in Dresden the bulk of the deaths were from suffocation because the fire was so vicious it consumed all the oxygen, while leaving combustion products.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 9:40:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It's probably the same case there, but I know in Dresden the bulk of the deaths were from suffocation because the fire was so vicious it consumed all the oxygen, while leaving combustion products.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not how that work.

Breathing in fire byproducts kills you via smoke inhalation, not lack of oxygen. The particulates and toxic gasses cause your lungs to freak out, fill with fluid and kill you.

You could put the same particulate matter and toxins in an oxygen rich atmosphere and you'd still die breathing it, though it may take longer.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 9:42:45 PM EDT
[#23]
My Father was a long time friend of Dutch Van Kirk. Both B29 Navigators. I met him on several occasions.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 9:46:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I went to college with a guy who claimed to be Paul Tibbets' nephew.

He didn't make a big deal of it, and only mentioned it once, so I assumed it was true.
View Quote
Brigadier General Tibbets, his grandson, just got fired.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 9:52:07 PM EDT
[#25]
For you nuke fans, this place is a great visit!

Minuteman
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 10:01:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Breathing in fire byproducts kills you via smoke inhalation, not lack of oxygen. The particulates and toxic gasses cause your lungs to freak out, fill with fluid and kill you.

You could put the same particulate matter and toxins in an oxygen rich atmosphere and you'd still die breathing it, though it may take longer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"breathing in fire byproducts kills you via smoke inhalation, not lack of oxygen."

That's exactly how it works, a combination of reducing oxygen in the breathable air below the percentage needed, while also causing CO poisoning preventing oxygen uptake by hemoglobin.

So either way you slice it, it's a lack of oxygen.

"You could put the same particulate matter and toxins in an oxygen rich atmosphere and you'd still die breathing it, though it may take longer."
Not much longer, 2-3 minutes max if the PPM of CO is high enough.

I'm guessing you've never done any hazmat, fire fighting, or dive training/ dive medicine?
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 10:06:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
For you nuke fans, this place is a great visit!

Minuteman
View Quote
Another good place to visit. For some Minuteman history.

http://www.history.nd.gov/historicsites/minutemanmissile/oscarzerohistory.html

Link Posted: 11/27/2018 10:07:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Very cool.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 10:31:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ME TOO

I wish there was some place where I could talk to people about it at the level that interests me. Seriously.

Those pictures have been in the wild a long, long time, OP. For ham nerds, look at the bomb test unit stack, and see if there's anything remotely familiar.

One of the now deceased local hams worked on the Manhattan project and got my dad into ham radio in the late 50s/early 60s.  I emailed my dad the link to the pics and asked him if he knew if he had worked on that test gear.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 11:01:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Neat!
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 12:01:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
there's an Atomic museum in Albuquerque that's pretty cool & deals
with both these bombs very good
View Quote
We went there with the kids a couple of years ago. It was a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 12:21:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
... Very cool!  I've never seen any of these pictures
View Quote
Nor had I.  
Thanks OP
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 12:47:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Cool pics! Never saw them before. I got to meet Mr. Tibbetts at MAAM a few years back, that was really interesting.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 2:31:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Cool pics. Thank you
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 2:47:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
and there is a new lower idea.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 2:58:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
and there is a new lower idea.  
View Quote
A Fat Man, Little Boy lowers pair would sell like hotcakes in a lumber jack camp, somebody could make a good amount of money and send a message all at the same time.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 2:59:24 AM EDT
[#37]
There were mock ups of each of those weapons at the Plattsburg AFB nuclear weapon storage area gate back in the seventies.  I wonder what happened to them when the base was deactivated.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 3:07:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Really cool pics, I was trying to figure out what his coveralls say. Badger something

Wonder if anyone took selfies of the riding the bomb strangelove style haha.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 3:25:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Was thinking the same thing.  "BADGER ORDNANCE WORKS".  I had to blow up the photo to read it more clearly.

Messing around at Custom Ink...what do you guys think?

A coworker saw this and said "You should put 'World's Best Rice Cookers Since 1945" on the front."  
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 3:26:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
8 different "thin man" bomb casings are pictured in 1944 in the first photo.

If that's accurate, our early nuke program was prepared for a much wider, more destructive campaign than I previously realized.

By Nagasaki, I thought the U.S. had used up all the nukes we had?

Were there more of them ready to go by VJ Day?
View Quote
Dry runs with full gear, minus fissile material?
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 4:01:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I guess those pictures are proof that good welds don't have to look nice.  
View Quote
Holy shit!  Just made that same comment 30 minutes ago, to a coworker...LOL!
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 4:12:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
not one,....but two different designs, here to fuck your whole day up
View All Quotes
Quoted:
not one,....but two different designs, here to fuck your whole day up
Well they didn't know what material or design would end up working...

so the Manhattan Project was the original GET BOTH.

Quoted:
Thanks, I had never seen those two before!
Another must-read classic:
http://www.richardrhodes.com/images/TMAB_Cover-x_small.jpeg
Gold standard Manhattan Project reading.

Quoted:
Quoted:
I also find it fascinating (thx again, OP).
I'm especially intrigued by the photos of the very earliest stages, where mass is being converted to energy and conditions mimic the early universe:
https://i.stack.imgur.com/2mt4P.jpg
What a strange moment in time.
Those white projections protruding from the fireball are the tower guy wires being vaporized by the intense X-ray radiation.
Something to wrap your head around is that the nuclear reaction is long-ago ended in that photo. The fission chain reaction is completed in millionths of a second. When the fissile material swells up notably, critical mass is lost and the reaction stops, so the reaction is over before it reaches the casing of the bomb.

If you really want to get wow'd about how fast the stuff happens, read up on thermonuclear bombs. The fusion part is inches away from the fission bomb, and the reactions are all completed before the material from the fission explosion can disturb the fusion part.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 4:23:44 AM EDT
[#43]
I saw Bocks Car and  replicas of the bombs at the Air Museum in Dayton OH last week.  If you go,  plan on at least 2 days and you still won't see it all.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 4:31:29 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Those are from development work on the physical casings for the bombs.

There were lots of sets of casings and bomb components made and transported to Tinian. The atomic bombing group even flew practice missions to Japan and dropped a couple of the Fat Man casings on targets. Without the fissile material, they were a 5000 pound HE bomb
View Quote
By coincidence i was at the Osaka peace museum earlier today, which is mostly about the fire bombing of osaka, but made mention of the pumpikin bomb(s?) Dropped as practice. There was an airiel photo of were 1 of them had hit with tje date as part of the display.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 6:40:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
One of the cooler experiences of my life was operating a flight from Narita to Saipan. Our approach to landing took us right over Tinian and the north field complex. I could clearly see the runways and the bomb loading pits. It was easy to imagine the hustle and bustle and overall urgency of operations that occurred there 70 years prior. To see it in its entirety first hand was pretty amazing.
View Quote
I got to drive down those runways in 95. Sent chills down my spine know the history that rolled down those runways 50 years prior.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 7:25:14 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Any good books on this subject?
View Quote
Richard Rhodes' The Making of the Atomic Bomb is the best work of non-fiction I've ever read.  His Dark Sun (hydrogen bomb) is also very good, but, the espionage it covers is very upsetting.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 7:40:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Those were very interesting.  Thank you for posting.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 7:55:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Great pictures, some of these I have seen before.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 8:01:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Brigadier General Tibbets, his grandson, just got fired.
View Quote
Why?

Cool pics OP, thanks for posting!  
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 8:35:22 AM EDT
[#50]
My best friend is Bob Carter's grandson, and I have met Bob a few times.

Here is an interview with him:

https://www.manhattanprojectvoices.org/oral-histories/bob-carters-interview-2018
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top