Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:02:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

6-30. When a shooter assumes a stable firing position, movement from muscle tension,
breathing, and other natural activities within the body will be transferred to the weapon
and must be compensated for by the shooter.
6-31. Failing to create an effective platform to fire from is termed a stabilization
failure. A stabilization failure occurs when a Soldier fails to:
Control the movement of the barrel during the arc of movement
Adequately support the weapon system
Achieve their natural point of aim.

Sure wish there was a way to increase stability   when standing when I don't have access to door jambs, trees, etc.

Or legs

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/9b/23/74/9b2374c73003483dc912e9cf172b1eb9.jpg

Oh the nos a tight sling

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/ba/Marine-with-FN-M16A4-and-ACOG.jpg
View Quote
Oh the Noes.

You need to learn what a real deal shooting sling is.

Hasty sling is not real deal shooting sling.

Just because you found some picts on the web of shooters not using proper technique does not validate using improper technique.

What hits are these shooters getting using poor technique?

None?

A few?

Who cares?

It's not like we don't have real deal shooting comps that prove shooting slings are second rate shooting aids, at best.

When the rules don't specifically favor a sling nobody who wins uses a shooting sling.

Just Sayin.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 12:01:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
It's not like we don't have real deal shooting comps that prove shooting slings are second rate shooting aids, at best.

When the rules don't specifically favor a sling nobody who wins uses a shooting sling.

Just Sayin.
View Quote
What if...Most shooting comps design all of their COF's around the match director/stage designer's preferred shooting style and because most shooters don't know how to use a sling but do know how to use a bipod very few rifle matches set up stages that are disadvantageous for bipods.  

The few examples by Patchouli and others in this thread of matches that forced shooters out of their comfort range like obstacles that are too high for a bipod or a PRS stage that makes knee and elbow bags impractical see most shooters struggle as they lack the basic fundamentals (there's that word) to hold their rifle still enough without a bipod or bag to make hits at medium distances.

A sling adds no weight to a rifle since it'll have one anyway and is not an additional snag hazard nor does it take up valuable estate on a handguard.  If it's suitable to use as a shooting aid because of a long shot then it's there.  If it's not needed to take the shot then it's not extra crap on the rifle.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 12:17:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I don't care how much you had dinner with some competition shooter or know John Ringo. Neither impresses me in the least and that you are their groupie impresses me in the least. My issues with you in the last thread was that you, not your comp buddy or John Ringo, YOU have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to combat marksmanship because you don't train, you play a sport. You're out of your element donnie.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You must have missed the thread where he blew off one of the top long range shooters and coaches in the world as "just some AMU guy".
No, that was just you. I called you out. Get that right.
No, you called me a "fanboi" because I knew who he was, and claimed that only "fanbois" pay attention to who the top competition shooters are, and implied that I only knew him from being a fanboi, as opposed to the reality of having shot with him a number of times, had dinner with him several times, and know his wife and kids (heck, I'm the one who told John Ringo to send a manuscript to him to review the long-range shooting scenes).  You blew him off as "some retired E-7" then made a statement that you know more retired E-7's than I do, so you win the appeals to authority, to which I pointed out that I wasn't appealing to  authority, the authority had posted in the thread himself.  I had avoided mentioning him until he posted, as I know he usually has more interesting things to do than see what kind of retarded shit idiots come up with on ARFCOM (unless he's bored, then it gets amusing).
I don't care how much you had dinner with some competition shooter or know John Ringo. Neither impresses me in the least and that you are their groupie impresses me in the least. My issues with you in the last thread was that you, not your comp buddy or John Ringo, YOU have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to combat marksmanship because you don't train, you play a sport. You're out of your element donnie.
You have no idea what I do or don't do, I only put on my web page the stuff I do that supports the classes I teach - I don't teach the tacticool classes, for the average civilian they're just a fun game and emphasizing those drives away the average person who needs to learn the basics of shooting.  Or it attracts the attention of people like you who will loudly proclaim that since I never got my commission or served on active duty, I know nothing and should be ignored.  I GLADLY refer students who want to advance to those topics to the instructors I take courses from.  

The entire context of bringing him up is that one of your claims was that you have service rifle competition experience - yet you didn't recognize one of the most recognizable names in service rifle competition.  That's like a smallbore shooter who doesn't know who Lenny Bassham or Lones Wigger are.

You constantly shit on high power rifle and service rifle competition, but what have YOU done to bring new shooters in and promote marksmanship training?  How many training courses have you run?  How many competitions?  How many range events?  If you've got this grand scheme for how to produce better combat marksmen, what have you done to implement it?

Or are you just going to sit on the sidelines and bitch and denigrate those who are actually out there bringing new shooters in and promoting gun knowledge and interest among people who may not have previously used them?
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 12:36:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I think knowing how to properly use a sling is just another tool in the tool box.
I routinely shot 198s with a high X count at 600 yards with a Space Gun, irons and a loop sling.
I have shot game in the field looped up with a 1907......elk, coyotes, small game, etc....
I once asked prolific big game hunter Wayne van Zwoll if he ever looped up in the field and he
said he'd shot the vast majority of animals that way.
I think NRA High Power can be a useful tool, to a point.

That said...

If all you are taught is a loop sling, then you try to use it for everything when there are much better ways.
I also think that once you get past the Expert level in High Power it is more about the game and less about
useful techniques. It can also give you very bad habits.

There is much to be said for modern methods of building solid positions using whatever is available. In the field
hits are what counts, there are no rules that say you can do this but you can't do this, that or that. You need to
be able to quickly identify what is the fastest way to make the hit and do it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 12:49:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Wonder how many Marines died needlessly over the years because they failed to get a stable enough platform to make the hit on a bad guy before the opposite happened? All because of strict mindless adherence to "that's how it's always been done!" marksmanship training.

Appleseed encourages marksmanship, and for that deserves accolades. However, in my limited observations, it was heavily biased towards creating a false valuation and false confidence amongst shooters using rimfire rifles at what are effectively handgun distances. The very core of the scoring system is based on a favoritism towards a caliber (.22LR) that is fundamentally incapable of being used in s true marksmanship context.
View Quote
I've shot Appleseeds with both a 10/22 and an AR15. Both guns made the same sized hole in the target, but one was considerably cheaper to feed for the weekend.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 7:39:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've shot Appleseeds with both a 10/22 and an AR15. Both guns made the same sized hole in the target, but one was considerably cheaper to feed for the weekend.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wonder how many Marines died needlessly over the years because they failed to get a stable enough platform to make the hit on a bad guy before the opposite happened? All because of strict mindless adherence to "that's how it's always been done!" marksmanship training.

Appleseed encourages marksmanship, and for that deserves accolades. However, in my limited observations, it was heavily biased towards creating a false valuation and false confidence amongst shooters using rimfire rifles at what are effectively handgun distances. The very core of the scoring system is based on a favoritism towards a caliber (.22LR) that is fundamentally incapable of being used in s true marksmanship context.
All well and fine (although these days the price gap between the two has sadly narrowed far more than in past years). But the mere fact that  there are no scoring distinctions made between rimfire and centerfire, in a timed positional shooting event, is a blatant endorsement of .22LR over any of the viable centerfire calibers we might realistically use in a military, LE, or defensive scenario.

What I observed in my limited interactions with Appleseed is that the vast majority of shooters are being brought up to think that being quick and accurate with a 10/22 at 25 yards makes them combat accurate in a real fight. Appleseed does not profess to teach tactical shooting, but it heavily implies a historical tactical element. In reality, many aspects of the training are less than ideal if you're teaching fundamentals that are intended to form building blocks for tactical shooting skills. Rigid and dogmatic adherence to the appearance of a proper position is counterproductive when it comes time to take a shot from an improvised rest or under some weird-ass field placement. Teaching stability first and foremost should take precedence over the classic positions, particularly in a day and age where the student might be of any size, weight, build, or gender. This idealized training was drafted up a century past to indoctrinate men recruited in to shoot a combat rifle which is 4 or 5 generations out of date from current use; the idea that maybe some of the doctrines are obsolete shouldn't exactly be a shock to anyone who isn't heavily emotionally vested in continuing to shoot in a specific way.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 7:51:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 7:56:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 8:00:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 8:35:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 9:40:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Oh the Noes.

Just because you found some picts on the web of shooters not using proper technique does not validate using improper technique.

None?

A few?

Who cares?

Just Sayin.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

6-30. When a shooter assumes a stable firing position, movement from muscle tension,
breathing, and other natural activities within the body will be transferred to the weapon
and must be compensated for by the shooter.
6-31. Failing to create an effective platform to fire from is termed a stabilization
failure. A stabilization failure occurs when a Soldier fails to:
Control the movement of the barrel during the arc of movement
Adequately support the weapon system
Achieve their natural point of aim.

Sure wish there was a way to increase stability   when standing when I don't have access to door jambs, trees, etc.

Or legs

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/9b/23/74/9b2374c73003483dc912e9cf172b1eb9.jpg

Oh the nos a tight sling

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/ba/Marine-with-FN-M16A4-and-ACOG.jpg
Oh the Noes.

None?

A few?

Who cares?

Just Sayin.
I've been using a shooting sling since I was 6. I'm not saying those slings we're "shooting slings". My point is that you can use slings to aid in shooting in other positions more akin to "combat shooting"

I've used tight slings in the field to steady shots since I started hunting as a kid. I've also used them to steady my weapon in combat and had others around me do the same.

I'm saying that learning a skill that involves gear you're already carrying is a good thing.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 9:50:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Loading for garand, using slings nobody has or uses anymore. No bipod etc.

No squaring off to target for body armor.

Anything else?
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/25/2017 9:59:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I guess it's safe to assume that OP washed out of his Appleseed.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:16:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
IIRC, the M&P15-22 was banned for safety reasons due to ????  Was it out of battery firing or doubling?
View Quote
Out of battery if memory serves me.

ETA: and my M&P 15-22 is not near accurate enough to think about using at Appleseed.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 11:23:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

All well and fine (although these days the price gap between the two has sadly narrowed far more than in past years). But the mere fact that  there are no scoring distinctions made between rimfire and centerfire, in a timed positional shooting event, is a blatant endorsement of .22LR over any of the viable centerfire calibers we might realistically use in a military, LE, or defensive scenario.

What I observed in my limited interactions with Appleseed is that the vast majority of shooters are being brought up to think that being quick and accurate with a 10/22 at 25 yards makes them combat accurate in a real fight. Appleseed does not profess to teach tactical shooting, but it heavily implies a historical tactical element. In reality, many aspects of the training are less than ideal if you're teaching fundamentals that are intended to form building blocks for tactical shooting skills. Rigid and dogmatic adherence to the appearance of a proper position is counterproductive when it comes time to take a shot from an improvised rest or under some weird-ass field placement. Teaching stability first and foremost should take precedence over the classic positions, particularly in a day and age where the student might be of any size, weight, build, or gender. This idealized training was drafted up a century past to indoctrinate men recruited in to shoot a combat rifle which is 4 or 5 generations out of date from current use; the idea that maybe some of the doctrines are obsolete shouldn't exactly be a shock to anyone who isn't heavily emotionally vested in continuing to shoot in a specific way.
View Quote
*gasp* maybe if people want to be hard dick gun fighters appleseed isn't the best?
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 11:28:18 AM EDT
[#16]
This thread makes me daydream about a bunch of multicam clad gunshop commandos standing on the firing line telling dads and kids with 10/22's trying to enjoy a low key entry level marksmanship course about how it's not real life enough and will get them killed on the streets.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 11:38:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This thread makes me daydream about a bunch of multicam clad gunshop commandos standing on the firing line telling dads and kids with 10/22's trying to enjoy a low key entry level marksmanship course about how it's not real life enough and will get them killed on the streets.
View Quote
What are guns for afterall.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 11:42:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I would appreciate being shown where, in any of the Appleseed literature and/or website(s), the intent of Appleseed to teach "Combat Marksmanship" to anyone, including Newbies, is stated.  As one who has attended an Appleseed, I can say for a certainty that the word "militia" was only mentioned once or twice, and that in direct reference to the Colonial era.  Appleseed is not, and AFAIK never has been about training a modern day militia.  It is what it is, a good basic marksmanship course, and it has always been that.

FWIW, due to my age, I shot the AQT with an old 1-3X Weaver scope.  The Instructors had no problems with that, nor did I hear of anyone using other optics, such as RDS, having issues with the Instructors about their sights.

Unless it's shooting up Heroin, jumping off a bridge, or something equally personally destructive, I think unwise to criticize, at length, something with which one has no, or very limited, experience.  
View Quote
In the Appleseed I attended, they said:  "A rifleman is expected to hit the enemy's head at 400 yards with an off-the-shelf military small arm."

The whole point is to bring back basic rifleman skills that contributed to defeating the British.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 11:43:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You do realize that by the Constitution and US code, all citizens are members of the militia? Yes?  Other than an appeal to tradition and heritage, I don't see much "milita" about what was written.
View Quote
Thank you.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 11:44:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So after posting this and looking at my old thread about appleseed,  and remembering how much i hated seated position and could never find a stable position,  I have been practicing it each night (dryfire).

Still feels horrible. What I don't like is my legs splay outward and droop the rifle. Then I exert tension to keep them together and the tension ruins my hold.
The rifle feels like it cants downward and I have to crane my head and neck to get back on target.

Sooo anyway, I just did it again now, and I came up with a brilliant idea. Took my belt off and slung up my legs. They just rest against the belt and rem9ve all body tension.   I can just set the elbows against the legs like a bipod.

So can I use this patchouli leg sling technique at Appleseed?
View Quote
I think the transition segments would be tough. ;)
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 12:27:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Well the sling is a competition shooting aid.

When the rules require it's use or forbid other, more effective techniques, slinging up is just the ticket.

In the real world the shooting sling is not that useful.

Just Sayin.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm no sniper, but I can tell you for Cola Warrior West, I intentionally set up my rifle targets so people with a bipod find it impossible to use. Old school sitting with proper sling usage for the win. Fundamentals are called fundamentals for a reason.
Well the sling is a competition shooting aid.

When the rules require it's use or forbid other, more effective techniques, slinging up is just the ticket.

In the real world the shooting sling is not that useful.

Just Sayin.
The rules don't forbid use of anything, but some of the targets are at a higher elevation than the shooter, therefore, awkward to get into position to shoot at. A sling isn't always very useful as a support, but it's another tool in the tool box. The shooters box is pretty 'real world', move around, do what you have to do, have any gadget on your gun you want...people still choke. Knowing different techniques is never a bad thing.

You obviously don't want to use a sling....so don't. Show up at Cola Warrior West and let's see what you've got.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 1:45:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
In the Appleseed I attended, they said:  "A rifleman is expected to hit the enemy's head at 400 yards with an off-the-shelf military small arm."

The whole point is to bring back basic rifleman skills that contributed to defeating the British.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would appreciate being shown where, in any of the Appleseed literature and/or website(s), the intent of Appleseed to teach "Combat Marksmanship" to anyone, including Newbies, is stated.  As one who has attended an Appleseed, I can say for a certainty that the word "militia" was only mentioned once or twice, and that in direct reference to the Colonial era.  Appleseed is not, and AFAIK never has been about training a modern day militia.  It is what it is, a good basic marksmanship course, and it has always been that.

FWIW, due to my age, I shot the AQT with an old 1-3X Weaver scope.  The Instructors had no problems with that, nor did I hear of anyone using other optics, such as RDS, having issues with the Instructors about their sights.

Unless it's shooting up Heroin, jumping off a bridge, or something equally personally destructive, I think unwise to criticize, at length, something with which one has no, or very limited, experience.  

That's a Bingo.... Times just made Fred alter some verbiage to tamp down the Militia vibe....But not update the training...
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 2:41:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Actually it's head shot at 250 yards or body at 500 yards.  That is the MOA value of the shingle/head shot target on the Redcoat sheet and the 1" sighter square Appleseed uses for a lot of their drills.

We can embrace the martial art of riflery without becoming a bunch of multicam wearing Heavy Six militia colonels jerking off in the basement to the apocalypse.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 2:42:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

FWIW, I marched in the Bristol parade as a member of the Artillery Company of Newport Color Guard.  I was compelled to forcibly shove, with my musket, a drunk away from the Flag when he rushed at us screaming anti-American oaths.  Knocked him on his butt, and stayed for a few seconds to make sure he wasn't in a mood to pursue.  I ran back to re-join the color guard, while the crowd cheered. 

Never expected to have to "Guard" the Colors, but that is what I was there for.  Such attacks on the Flag might be more common nowadays, what with the Antifa feeling froggy.

It would be a life-changing event for a black-clad, hooded, and masked Antifa type to rush the Flag, and some color guard person accidentally run the guy through with a 18" triangular horse sticker.

Mistakes happen. 
View Quote
I wanna hit a hippie with an iron reinforced hickory shampoo pole.... I never get to do the fun things...
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 3:09:31 PM EDT
[#25]
I'll repeat my invitation one more time.  Those of you who are critical of the program and think it should modernize should come out and get involved.

If you're within driving distance of Pittsburg, KS I'll waive your entry fee to let you try it out.  Be some of that fresh blood every organization needs and help us make improvements in the program after you see what it's really like!

My next Appleseed is Oct 21-22.

The first 4 rifles on this line are an iron sighted AR, AR w/ACOG, Mosin, & Krebbs AK47.  We don't discriminate!
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 4:38:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'll repeat my invitation one more time.  Those of you who are critical of the program and think it should modernize should come out and get involved.

If you're within driving distance of Pittsburg, KS I'll waive your entry fee to let you try it out.  Be some of that fresh blood every organization needs and help us make improvements in the program after you see what it's really like!

My next Appleseed is Oct 21-22.

The first 4 rifles on this line are an iron sighted AR, AR w/ACOG, Mosin, & Krebbs AK47.  We don't discriminate!
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z67/bonecreekgunclub/Appleseed/IMG_2220.jpg
View Quote
Can I get in free to a Texas event if I start criticizing Appleseed? I mean I don't have anything against it really, but I can criticize people for $60. I can put that toward more .308 ammo.

Link Posted: 8/25/2017 6:38:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I posted this earlier.

The Army has a pretty damn good TC on shooting the Carbine and Rifle that @sinister first posted.

US Army How to use and shoot the Rifle and Carbine

Page 98 hits standing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I understand this article was written in 07 but is this how they shoot today?
AMU
Just checking.
That's Service Rifle, which was designed in the early 20th century. Its a sport, not combat training. It stopped being combat training back when the respective branches (Army after WWII, Marine Corps after 2001) stopped expecting people to fight that way in combat and revamped their marksmanship programs.

I'm talking about this sort of stuff, when the AMU is directly trying to train people for not sport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT1C80ThoEo

This isn't completely up to date, you can probably find more advanced stuff in the Arfcom training forum, or other websites, but its a good start on modernizing marksmanship while still practicing the fundamentals.
When teaching boots what does the Army teach? The Marines?
I posted this earlier.

The Army has a pretty damn good TC on shooting the Carbine and Rifle that @sinister first posted.

Page 98 hits standing.
I'd like to point out the pub date on that,
There were quite a few of us (I retired in dec of 14) that spent years trying to get the powers that be to update everything (nearly from the ground up) because the "authorized training" was about 2 decades behind.

I'm glad someone finally jumped on that grenade.

The biggest problem is that marksmanship to most commands is nothing more than another green yellow red metric, and it only matters when it's time to ensure that all quail dates and power slides are up to date,
Otherwise put those fucking rifles away and go do online training, rape prevention, minority of the month history, or just stand around and applaud people for announcing they are gay.

The schools/courses That started coming out of the amu in the 03/4/5 timeframe were a good start, but institutionally motherfuckers were still talking about the "rise and fall of the bullet" and lots of bullshit myths from the mid 70s
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 9:02:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Can I get in free to a Texas event if I start criticizing Appleseed? I mean I don't have anything against it really, but I can criticize people for $60. I can put that toward more .308 ammo.

View Quote
Not a bad strategy!  
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 9:31:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's it? That's all you're going to articulate is some open ended non-response? I guess that is what guns are for after all, making shallowly thought out posts complaining about narrow focused brands of training because they are not like other brands of training.

Sucks for you the appleseed shoot you went to wasn't uber tactical enough, maybe instead of complaining about appleseed you should go get some REAL high-speed shit like... frontsight and stop living in false dichotomy land.

Or you know watch some nutnfancy videos. I'm sure that will fill the gaps for you that appleseed left.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 9:54:19 PM EDT
[#30]
My wife and I will be instructing one in Paducah KY tomorrow with the man who wrote the Appleseed manual, DonD.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:12:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
There were quite a few of us (I retired in dec of 14) that spent years trying to get the powers that be to update everything (nearly from the ground up) because the "authorized training" was about 2 decades behind.

The biggest problem is that marksmanship to most commands is nothing more than another green yellow red metric, and it only matters when it's time to ensure that all quail dates and power slides are up to date,
Otherwise put those fucking rifles away and go do online training, rape prevention, minority of the month history, or just stand around and applaud people for announcing they are gay.

The schools/courses That started coming out of the amu in the 03/4/5 timeframe were a good start, but institutionally motherfuckers were still talking about the "rise and fall of the bullet" and lots of bullshit myths from the mid 70s
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I understand this article was written in 07 but is this how they shoot today?
AMU
Just checking.
That's Service Rifle, which was designed in the early 20th century. Its a sport, not combat training. It stopped being combat training back when the respective branches (Army after WWII, Marine Corps after 2001) stopped expecting people to fight that way in combat and revamped their marksmanship programs.

I'm talking about this sort of stuff, when the AMU is directly trying to train people for not sport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT1C80ThoEo

This isn't completely up to date, you can probably find more advanced stuff in the Arfcom training forum, or other websites, but its a good start on modernizing marksmanship while still practicing the fundamentals.
When teaching boots what does the Army teach? The Marines?
I posted this earlier.

Page 98 hits standing.

Again Sinister was the first to post that TC.

A lot of good info.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:56:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
That's it? That's all you're going to articulate is some open ended non-response? I guess that is what guns are for after all, making shallowly thought out posts complaining about narrow focused brands of training because they are not like other brands of training.

Sucks for you the appleseed shoot you went to wasn't uber tactical enough, maybe instead of complaining about appleseed you should go get some REAL high-speed shit like... frontsight and stop living in false dichotomy land.

Or you know watch some nutnfancy videos. I'm sure that will fill the gaps for you that appleseed left.
View Quote
K.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 12:08:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

K.
View Quote
I mean, if you put as much thought into going to a  different course that teaches what you want, as you did creating this thread trying to inarticulately complain about what you think is wrong with appleseed, but not a wide enough scope to really put some good critical thought and persuasive arguments, then you wouldn't have had to create this thread right? Seems like a bit thin on the thinking things through end.
I mean what was the actual point of this thread? seeking conformation bias?
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 12:11:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 12:15:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
madcap is mad?

That's all I got?
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 1:53:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
madcap is mad?

That's all I got?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
madcap is mad?

That's all I got?
Just trying to figure out the sudden need for appleseed to be cutting trigger puller training, when it's not much more than a traditional marksmanship program meant to be entry level and easily accessible.  Specifically what value is to be gained by changing appleseed vs attending training that provides what people think appleseed should have. What specifically is preventing people from engaging in the open market of training?

Or do we need social training warriors to seek justice for those who can only attend nothing but appleseed shoots?
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 3:19:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 4:15:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Just trying to figure out the sudden need for appleseed to be cutting trigger puller training, when it's not much more than a traditional marksmanship program meant to be entry level and easily accessible.  Specifically what value is to be gained by changing appleseed vs attending training that provides what people think appleseed should have. What specifically is preventing people from engaging in the open market of training?

Or do we need social training warriors to seek justice for those who can only attend nothing but appleseed shoots?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
madcap is mad?

That's all I got?

Starting and continuing something as big as Appleseed is hard and a lot of people put in a lot of time.

I suppose the course of fire is as much for the instructors as they probably enjoy teaching that COF.

The old style course of fire keeps me from participating as it is not the type of shooting I enjoy.

That be said apparently many many shooters do enjoy that type of shooting.

I have helped start a Wyoming State level competition that has a COF I find more fun.

Wyoming Top 100 Shooting Competition
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 7:15:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Not sure why you posted that video.

Their 7 steps to firing the shot are exactly Appleseed's 6 steps to firing the shot except they add "don't flinch" as the 7th step whereas we simply explain that and help shooters get over it by doing drills like Ball & Dummy and Calling the Shot.

Here are Appleseed's 6 steps with my improved (I think) explanation over what is in the current instructor manual (and better than that video).  As an added bonus we don't teach the use of a quad-pod.

The 6 Steps of Firing the Shot (Using Appleseed's list and my definitions)

1. Sight alignment
Center the front and rear sights (or reticle) on your eye.  Focus on the front sight and your subconscious will automatically center it in the rear sight.

2. Sight picture
Place the lined up sights (or scope) on your target.

3. Respiratory pause
 As you finish exhaling pause at the moment between breathing in and breathing out.

4a. Focus your eye on the front sight
4b. Focus Your Mind on Keeping the Front Sight on the Target
A sharp focus on the detail of the front sight will put your rounds on target.

5. Press the trigger straight back
Place your trigger finger and hand so that at the moment of release you’re pressing the trigger straight back.  Do not squeeze the trigger in slow motion.  
Use enough strength to cleanly, quickly and smoothly move the trigger as far as it needs to go but no further.  Don’t use ten pounds of force when you only need five.

6. Follow through
• Hold the trigger back, and
• Call Your Shot, which means; take a mental snapshot of where the front sight or the crosshairs were when the shot broke.

ETA - Our "stable position" part of it goes into way more depth as we spend a lot of time on each of the positions and how to develop that position for each person's unique body.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 7:28:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Starting and continuing something as big as Appleseed is hard and a lot of people put in a lot of time.

I suppose the course of fire is as much for the instructors as they probably enjoy teaching that COF.

The old style course of fire keeps me from participating as it is not the type of shooting I enjoy.

I have helped start a Wyoming State level competition that has a COF I find more fun.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

That sounds like a fun shoot to do but it sounds more like a centerfire version of a Ruger Rimfire challenge/steel challenge with the addition of scoring rings and just one target.

Rifle must conform to USPSA Tac Optics division (see page 63).

Start position: First String - 5 Yards, Second String - 10 Yards, Third String - 25 Yards, Fourth String - 50 Yards, Fifth String - 100
Yards, Sixth String - 5 Yards
Static stand and deliver shooting will get you kilt in da streets faster than you can rig up a shooting sling!  

Appleseed's COF is what it is because it was started by a guy who wanted something that mimicked High Power/CMP/old school military training stuff and emphasized tighter marksmanship than the few 3 gun type run'n'gun things that were just starting.

Appleseed (like everything else) is far from perfect but it's a pretty good start.  Not every Appleseed member was a space shuttle door gunner and so lacks the depth of techniques some of arf does in training death dealers in the most modern techniques.

I'm not being sarcastic when I say try it out, get involved and help from the inside where you can actually make change.  We have a lot of quality folks but need new ideas and new blood.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 9:58:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 10:09:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
I can remember years ago my wife, after being part of a rifle team put together by Sinister at
Fort Monroe tried to get inter unit rifle matches started up again at the 1st ID when she landed
there. Holy Crap.....the senior NCOs didn't want any of that shooting stuff going on.....the horror the horror...
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 10:32:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I would venture to say that most in this thread that are critical of Appleseed have never paid to take the course, and disparage the Appleseed program because they don't believe they could be successful and get a "Rifleman" patch.
View Quote
I would submit that Appleseed Rifleman Patch is not the ultimate "Qualification" of a Rifleman as many would be led to believe. and that seems to be a the tried and true response to anyone that critiques or criticizes it in any way.

I have nothing against Appleseed, but Steinhab raises some valid points, and many here want to just ignore Fred's original program and intent. and the program is not advertised as an "Entry Level" shooting program.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 10:53:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Appleseed is a good program. There are a lot of folks out there that have never learned the fundamentals. Appleseed can cure that. It is also good for a novice. It teaches them to shoot, reload, run their gun safely, and hopefully instills some pride in them as they improve. It really makes a difference for newbies to get this training. Don't forget that shooting is the vehicle Appleseed uses to spread their message about the American Revolution. The shooting part is secondary to that. No course can teach everything. But Appleseed can improve anyone's shooting and the message of Appleseed is increasingly important it seems.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 11:07:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You've never been to an appleseed shoot, because they don't teach that anything they're training has anything to do with "combat accurate in a real fight".  They're teaching basic marksmanship skills.  

Shooting at 25 yards w/ a 10/22 and iron sights is not nearly as easy as you might think.  Try shooting at 200 yards with a 22 and tell me how easy that is...  

And yes, I got my patch.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 11:17:13 PM EDT
[#46]
The purpose is to shoot redcoats for your homeland.

That's what they talk about and that's what the drills are set up as.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 11:17:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I would venture to say that most in this thread that are critical of Appleseed have never paid to take the course, and disparage the Appleseed program because they don't believe they could be successful and get a "Rifleman" patch.
View Quote
Several of the people who brought tactical rifles and thought they were the shit ended up not being able to shoot rifleman at the one I went to.  They didn't come back on day 2.  A lot of people overestimate their ability when it comes to shooting, when they're put to an actual graded test they find out they're not very good at all.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 11:18:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've never seen a redcoat in my homeland.  Fill me in when you find one.  

It's designed to teach basic marksmanship.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 11:27:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Our esteemed OP is referring to the Hits Count target, often called the Redcoat target.

It's the first target used on Day 1.  Traditionally, it's shot after telling the story about the massacre on Lexington Green.  Historians have debated who fired that first shot... but the men assembled there knew that to raise a musket to the King's Men was equivalent to raising a musket to the king himself.  Our forefathers should be honored for risking everything they had and everything they were ever going to have to secure Liberty for their posterity.

It's no more complicated than that.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 11:29:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Our esteemed OP is referring to the Hits Count target, often called the Redcoat target.

It's the first target used on Day 1.  Traditionally, it's shot after telling the story about the massacre on Lexington Green.  Historians have debated who fired that first shot... but the men assembled there knew that to raise a musket to the King's Men was equivalent to raising a musket to the king himself.  Our forefathers should be honored for risking everything they had and everything they were ever going to have to secure Liberty for their posterity.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a great way to tie the shooting portion into the history portion, Appleseeds number 1 purpose.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top