Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 2:10:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Mine was, I used it for 5 years,  Only the cost of ammo made me go to a mouse gun
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 2:15:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@bisonbisonbison

I love M1A/M14s, to the point I've spent about 10k building them in the last few years alone, but I would never recommend one for any serious purpose. They weren't great to begin with, and they're extremely tempermental as precision rifles. The worst part is they can be shooting great one day and then mysteriously take a dump all over the target the next. I would never put one up against any AR.
View Quote
Part in red is truth.....
My coach shot an M14 NM on the USMC Team and commented on this.
When an M14 goes bad...........bang......all over the target....
(and then you have to figure out what the hell went wrong....)

I also frequently saw riflemen using pliers to tighten down their sight lock
to keep their rear sight from changing elevation during a string...

Had a friend who's rear sight drove him crazy until he had it rebuilt.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 2:16:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 2:17:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Mine was, I used it for 5 years,  Only the cost of ammo made me go to a mouse gun
View Quote
cost of ammo is a big deal. Surplus Portuguese ball isn't going to get it done......
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 2:21:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The M1A has been the long standing king of high power matches, check out the M1A match and Super match rifles. Even a standard would be a very good choice.
View Quote
The M1A got kicked to the curb decades ago. It's death knell was when the Army Team showed up
with M16s and stomped the USMC Team so bad, the Marines showed up the next season with M16s.
That was like 20+ years ago.....

I mean......come on.....be serious. The guy is asking an honest question.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 2:26:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Just buy a Rock River NM AR and be done with it!
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 2:36:57 AM EDT
[#7]
OP.......is you are serious about shooting an M1A in competition because
you live in Kali, I'll email NCShooter. He's the most knowledgeable guy I know
when it comes to shooting an M1A/M14 NM in competition. He doesn't post
much, but I'm sure I could draw him out. He speaks in Marine....so can be a bit
hard to understand......but he's a veritable wealth of knowledge on this system.
Norcross is a member here too....but I don't think he ventures into GD...
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 2:37:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Just buy a Rock River NM AR and be done with it!
View Quote
This is actually very solid advice. It's what I shot at Perry....
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 2:40:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes, everyone shoots AR's these days.  With glass, which I consider cheating.

That said, it's the shooter not the gun that matters the most. I regulary outshoot AR guys with a Garand and CMP ball.  Am I that fantastic?  No, they are that bad.

Not everyone at your matches will be from the winning team at Camp Perry. You can place reasonably in  say,  the top third  with ANY rifle. Even a bolt gun. (Which is a blast to compete with. I won a 600yd medal with a 03A3 when I was 21)

Pick what will to  you, be the most fun.  If it's not fun you won't stick with it and if you don't stick with it you won't get better. If you want the M1A, get the M1A. You can always trade it in later for an AR.

One bit of advice, don't be a gear queer and dry fire like you are getting paid and laid to do it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 2:48:29 AM EDT
[#10]
You want some real advice from a real ultimate shooter, go get yourself a Mini-14.  It's the best of both worlds: the sexy lines of the M1A with the more affordable ammo of the AR-15.

And it will shoot rings around AR-15s.

Literally rings, but that's all part of the fun.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 2:59:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The M1A got kicked to the curb decades ago. It's death knell was when the Army Team showed up
with M16s and stomped the USMC Team so bad, the Marines showed up the next season with M16s.

View Quote
Dude, I get it. It's not the ideal platform this day and age, but he's in CA. He's limited to what he can compete with.

Guys are shooting EBRs these days with amazing accuracy, you can't sit here and tell me the M1A can't hold it's own with the options our there today.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 3:04:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

But did you win or are you just posting about how it could have been??

Like most fatass m1a shooters
View Quote
If you want to PM me, I can surely set you up with some pads, a ring and a place to prove that fat ass comment.

I'm not the internet tough guy you think I am.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 3:18:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Dude, I get it. It's not the ideal platform this day and age, but he's in CA. He's limited to what he can compete with.

Guys are shooting EBRs these days with amazing accuracy, you can't sit here and tell me the M1A can't hold it's own with the options our there today.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think OP being in California is more important than "muh M1A or muh AR."

He can go buy a M1A from Turners tomorrow and pick it up after the waiting period.    He can then go compete with it rapid fire and all.  Cali compliant ARs don't do rapid fire to well since you have to pull the rear pin now to change mags.

Not sure where he will compete at though since I've looked all over SoCal and haven seen much in the way of high power down here.  northern California has high power so maybe he's up there.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 3:24:02 AM EDT
[#14]
He needs to move out of CA and then buy a RRA NM AR.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 5:04:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The M1A has been the long standing king of high power matches, check out the M1A match and Super match rifles. Even a standard would be a very good choice.

Those were specifically designed for the CMP and Camp Perry matches.

You're off to great start with an M1A.

I know, I was once a conscript of CA. I had a few of those during my internment.
View Quote
Hope you are kidding, because this is not 1985.

OP, I would pick a Garand over an M1A any day and twice on Sunday for HP competition, either in 30-06 or 308.  Better sight radius, easier to get really low in prone w/o magazine in the way, glass bedding lasts longer, easier to load w/ 2 and 8 rounds.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 5:10:06 AM EDT
[#16]
A $1200 White Oak AR15 build will be more accurate than a $3000 M1A, and you can maintain/rebarrel it far easier.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 5:12:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The M1A was top of the class for a very long time. Old timers with their M1As were hard to keep up with at my club. The introduction of optics into service rifle classes has finally sounded the death knell for them, IMO. But if I was stuck in your position I'd go the M1A route.

And the maintenence cycle on them is blown out of proportion. My father shot an M1A when he was on our state guards team, and then later with an AR. Their maintenence cycles were pretty much the same.
View Quote
Bullshit, the maintenance cycles are nowhere the same.

M1A - reweld the unitized front end when the welds crack, redo the glass bedding every year, repair the lugged receiver when the lug breaks, replace the barrel, repair the trigger group when the pins break or bend. Replace the rear sight when it wears out.

AR15 - replace the barrel when it is shot out.  Period.

ETA:  And as Gunwritr correctly states, get ready for the M1A to take a dump on you.  Normally in a Regional or EIC match, normally when you have a good string going.  It will happen.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 6:00:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

OK, you have my attention since your profile says CA... are you running a bullet button, or featureless, or fixed mag, or ??? I didn't get into this whole thing in time to have a bullet button AR, so I'm stuck with either a completely fixed magazine or one of those stupid kydex pistol grip wraps.
View Quote
I stopped shooting those types of competition back in 2015, prior to the ban. I shot them from the time I was 14-21. So about 7 years or so. An M1A was basically unsustainable for me, because I was a kid who didn't have tons and tons of money required for the constant rebuilds, working the jobs I had when I was 15-17. An AR was a total game changer.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 6:01:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Just a few topics to acclimate you on the M14/M1A platform

Glass bedding
Gas cylinder shimming
Scope Mount Shimming
Op-Rod guide perma-weld
Barrel Peening

Handloading? Good luck

NM AR's used to be in vogue... those will out-shoot a box-stock m1a and is about = with a Super Match M1A without ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL the bullshit of firing one past a thousand rounds
View Quote
Listen to that guy.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 6:05:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Part in red is truth.....
My coach shot an M14 NM on the USMC Team and commented on this.
When an M14 goes bad...........bang......all over the target....
(and then you have to figure out what the hell went wrong....)

I also frequently saw riflemen using pliers to tighten down their sight lock
to keep their rear sight from changing elevation during a string...

Had a friend who's rear sight drove him crazy until he had it rebuilt.
View Quote
I've done that.

Also, bent op rods are a thing.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 6:08:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

M1A - reweld the unitized front end when the welds crack, redo the glass bedding every year, repair the lugged receiver when the lug breaks, replace the barrel, repair the trigger group when the pins break or bend. Replace the rear sight when it wears out.

ETA:  And as Gunwritr correctly states, get ready for the M1A to take a dump on you.  Normally in a Regional or EIC match, normally when you have a good string going.  It will happen.
View Quote
You forgot the part where you need to use red Loc-Tite on the front sight to keep it from drifting, and the constant failures to return to battery from the recoil spring wearing out in like 2-3,000 rounds.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 10:47:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 10:58:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
M1a1 sucks dick in about everything it does.

In hipower it will get raped

A neutered AR will beat it like a bitch all day long
View Quote
I don't know of anyone shooting the .30 carbine in NRA High Power competition.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:02:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
You don't even know how to post on the internet you old fossils.

But my m1a and belly
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But my m1a and belly
It's answers like this why the decent folks on here laugh at people like you and hawktheslayer.

Childish regurgitations of shit you read somewhere.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:02:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:04:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
They don’t do well. We used to do a Garand match every year and you could use any WWII rifle. The carbines were fun to shoot but no one ever threatened to win with one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They don’t do well. We used to do a Garand match every year and you could use any WWII rifle. The carbines were fun to shoot but no one ever threatened to win with one.
You just need to let your target puller know to “score the dent”!
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:04:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It's the shooter.

I place in the top 1/4 in 3 gun using a shockwave, my edc 1911, and a pretty normal carbine.

I'd be perfectly comfortable laying on any line with a rack grade M16A2, M1A, or M1 and feel confident I'd place squarely where my skill puts me.

When you become a top % shooter that ranks nationaly than the tools become more important since the gap between 1,2,3 is measured in .01s
View Quote
Then there are sensible, honest, real world experience driven answers like this one which mirrors my own experiences.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:06:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:09:15 AM EDT
[#29]
There are guys at my rifle club that occasionally win matches with their M1A's.  They aren't using them because they're better.  It's because they're bored with ARs.  One day they all got beaten by a 13 year old boy with a NM AR.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:13:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Here's a pic I snapped of the shooter next to me
at the 2006 Maine State Service Rifle Championship...

Muh Tree Gun Broke!
Time for a Big Red from Fred!!

Yes....there is such a thing as too much sling tension....

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/38268/Service_Rifle_Championship_06_032_jpg-741608.JPG
View Quote
So, you're saying that a modified rifle (notice the part that is supposed to support the stock there is not there) broke? Hmm

Shall we post the pics of AR15s being rendered inoperable with a simple case head failure?

Will the AR outshoot the M1a? Yep. Is it cheaper in every way? Sure is.

Is the M1a still fun as hell, competitive, and all around have more "soul" for lack of a better description? IMHO, yes.

A modern sports car will blow the doors off any 1960s sports car. I'd still rather drive my 69 firebird.

If one shoots for the same reason most people shoot, i.e. enjoyment, shooting the rifle that one most enjoys makes the most sense.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:17:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

So, you're saying that a modified rifle (notice the part that is supposed to support the stock there is not there) broke? Hmm

Shall we post the pics of AR15s being rendered inoperable with a simple case head failure?

Will the AR outshoot the M1a? Yep. Is it cheaper in every way? Sure is.

Is the M1a still fun as hell, competitive, and all around have more "soul" for lack of a better description? IMHO, yes.

A modern sports car will blow the doors off any 1960s sports car. I'd still rather drive my 69 firebird.

If one shoots for the same reason most people shoot, i.e. enjoyment, shooting the rifle that one most enjoys makes the most sense.
View Quote
While all that is true, competitive shooting is a lot more enjoyable when you win.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:18:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
ETA: 300 yard range.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA: 300 yard range.
I was bagging on the poster who pontificates about a rifle he can't even get the designation correct on.

The M1a1 is a folding stock M1 carbine, if referring to a rifle.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:25:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

While all that is true, competitive shooting is a lot more enjoyable when you win.
View Quote
I used to shoot in black powder club matches. There were always the guys shooting heavy barreled, false muzzled, underhammer, cap lock monstrosities, loaded from a box at the bench. They won consistently.

I shot this rifle that I built, loaded from a bag. Guess who had the most fun.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:26:15 AM EDT
[#34]
M1A rifles throwing shit fits is a real thing but since he (we) are in California that's the only option unless he wants to try with a Mini 14 which is like the M1A except worse.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:29:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:36:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The guys I shot with that wanted to keep shooting M1A's kept 2 rifles for a spare on hand, or 3, while one was at the armorer for a rebuild.

I wonder what happened to the M14's the state shooting association owned.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The M1A was top of the class for a very long time. Old timers with their M1As were hard to keep up with at my club. The introduction of optics into service rifle classes has finally sounded the death knell for them, IMO. But if I was stuck in your position I'd go the M1A route.

And the maintenence cycle on them is blown out of proportion. My father shot an M1A when he was on our state guards team, and then later with an AR. Their maintenence cycles were pretty much the same.

The guys I shot with that wanted to keep shooting M1A's kept 2 rifles for a spare on hand, or 3, while one was at the armorer for a rebuild.

I wonder what happened to the M14's the state shooting association owned.
Here in Idaho, the program faded away after 9/11 and the BDE's deployments to OIF.  The M14s that were used in the state matches were issued to selected members and used downrange (with considerable enthusiasm and positive AARS by the users, BTW).  They are still there, but with the increased training op tempo (especially in the year prior to NTC) to meet "ready year" requirements, the matches just aren't conducted anymore.

GWOT and the force structure cuts under Obama really changed the Guard and its priorities.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:43:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I used to shoot in black powder club matches. There were always the guys shooting heavy barreled, false muzzled, underhammer, cap lock monstrosities, loaded from a box at the bench. They won consistently.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/206831/IMG_20141111_185931710_zps56345adc_jpg-741822.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/206831/IMG_20141111_185931710_zps56345adc_jpg-741822.JPG
Well, since I don’t know you or the other guys involved, it’d be hard to say.  Would you have had more fun if you won?  All I’m saying is that there is no real good reason to spend more time, money, and hassle on something that won’t be competitive.  Most people like to do well at the things they enjoy doing. All things considered, shooting well is at least as much fun as not shooting well.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:44:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:45:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Hope you are kidding, because this is not 1985.

OP, I would pick a Garand over an M1A any day and twice on Sunday for HP competition, either in 30-06 or 308.  Better sight radius, easier to get really low in prone w/o magazine in the way, glass bedding lasts longer, easier to load w/ 2 and 8 rounds.
View Quote
No I'm not kidding, ever see what it takes to properly accurize an M1 Garand?

I see people occasionally complain about how inaccurate M1A's are, but they're trying to shoot long range with thier fingers grasping the op-rod or have USGI stocks that are worn and loose.

Two simple things I learned, easy fixes that tighten groups with M1A's.

I've shot my standard M1A at 300m with NM sights and hit man size targets easily consistently with it for years.

I don't know other than 25 years of shooting experience with them that they are very capable rifles in the hands of a good shooter.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:46:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
They are more labor intensive to keep in top accuracy , and it is more alchemy/art than science

But unless you are gunning for national championships a basic M1A will do a decent job to get ya going
View Quote
Troof.  The design is a prima donna and the AR action is inherently more accurate.  That said, the M1A with a muzzle brake is GTG in Californiastan.  I would have a heavy barrel and an 11 degree crown without a muzzle brake.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:47:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I've done that.

Also, bent op rods are a thing.  
View Quote
Bent OP rods are caused by heavy bullets.

This, can be avoided.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:52:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I know, I was once a conscript of CA. I had a few of those during my internment.
View Quote
No shit, as long as I remember.  Has it changed?

Didn't Carlos Hathcock us an M1A/M14 to set his world record?
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:54:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 12:01:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/Carlos-Hathcock.jpg
View Quote
Are you serious?  The picture clearly states that he was the winner of the Wimbledon Cup.  This is a trophy that is awarded every year at the NRA national Championships for one of the 20-shot 1000-yard matches.  The Wimbledon is an “Any Rifle, Any Sight” Match.  If I’m not mistaken, Hathcock shot a scoped Winchester Model 70 chambered in .300WM when he won that.

Also, there are not any “world records” for this sort of shooting that I’m aware of.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 12:05:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

But my m1a and belly
View Quote
CoC #6
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 12:06:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

But my m1a and belly
View Quote
You're that little annoying fuck that sat behind people in class and caused shit.

You're that guy whose had his ass kicked for talking shit you could never back up.

You're that little douche bag who just irritates the living shit out of everybody around you.

That guy who shows up places and people say, oh God that fucking retard Taylor is here, let's leave.

I don't care, report me for insulting you.

I know when I get out of bed everyday I'm not you, thank God I'm not, I'd hang myself.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 12:19:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 12:20:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 12:26:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/SpringfieldM1AMatch1.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/SpringfieldM1AMatch1.jpg

Link Posted: 11/17/2018 12:35:19 PM EDT
[#50]
I must have been the only guy on the surface of the planet to do well with an M1A.

Must have hit the M1A super lotto or something.

Because, the AR is the only suitable option for high power shooting, that's it. All ye experts have wisely spoketh here and thee constitution has therefore haveth been amended.

Silly....
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top