Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 10:16:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Me too.  That exact one, pretty much.  It's still too big but it's the closest thing to what I really want.  My first vehicle was an '82 toyota pickup.  If it weren't for body rust it would still be on the road.   Make that with a crew cab in a 4x4 and I'd buy one in a heartbeat.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Me too.  That exact one, pretty much.  It's still too big but it's the closest thing to what I really want.  My first vehicle was an '82 toyota pickup.  If it weren't for body rust it would still be on the road.   Make that with a crew cab in a 4x4 and I'd buy one in a heartbeat.
I've got a 2012 Pro-4X, 5' bed, just crossed 114k on it and it's a great little truck. It's been comfy on long drives, does well in the snow, and can get up into the mountains where I like to fly fish off some tight trails where bigger trucks can't fit. Big enough to haul a sport bike or a load of camping gear, cooler, and firewood, but no so big that anyone asks to help them move...
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 10:26:07 AM EDT
[#2]
The 2020 Frontier is getting a class leading 300 HP engine that is 10% better on mileage than the current gen, but that's not saying much.  It's also getting an 8 speed transmission I believe.  The body gets redesigned for 2021, but there will be no 4 cylinder option and no manual transmission.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 10:27:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Small truck huge prices. Thats the main problem. I can routinely buy a 4dr short bed full size truck for the same money or cheaper than a tacaoma.
The manufacturers aren't listening to consumers when it comes to smaller trucks. If they would produce today's equivalent of the 80s Isuzu pup
for a reasonable price they would make a killing.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 10:28:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Honda Ridgeline?  Chevy killed the Avalanche.  Dodge Dakota was a joke, unreliable and horrible mileage.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 10:39:52 AM EDT
[#5]
For the price, small trucks aren’t capable of enough to justify their existence.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 10:41:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I want another Chevy LUV truck. 4cyl., 4 speed, no air, no carpet, manual window cranks, had a radio swiped from another truck screwed to the dash. That truck went anywhere, it even sorta floated when we flooded. Bare bones transportation & half ton hauling.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 10:41:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Meh, build your own.

I always found them underpowered...Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 10:44:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It wouldn't surprise me to find out that changes in the emissions standards created a set of rules for small trucks that made them uneconomical or untenable to manufacture and sell.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is no “small” truck sold in the US anymore.  The dimensions of the current smaller trucks are pretty much what 1/2 tons were 20 years ago.

Small trucks were popular when they had small prices.  By the time the Tacoma was created, the price was already matching 1/2 tons.  It was a hard sell, and so they became 1/2 tons.
It wouldn't surprise me to find out that changes in the emissions standards created a set of rules for small trucks that made them uneconomical or untenable to manufacture and sell.
Probably more safety standards then anything.

All those airbags, crumple zones and tech take up space and add weight.

I have an 80s Toyota pickup and a 2010 Tacoma. Looking at the two of them parked side by side you can really see all the bulk that government creates.
That bulk may very well save your life in a bad crash but it is there nonetheless.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 10:47:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
For the price, small trucks aren’t capable of enough to justify their existence.
View Quote
I dunno.

Small trucks have their place. Being small, they fit in places a whole lot better (trails, parking spaces, garages etc).

I don't tow nor do I haul traditional "truck stuff" that everybody uses as a benchmark (dirt/gravel/construction materials) so a "small" truck fits my needs perfectly.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 10:52:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I liked the older Dakota I rented a while back.  That little V-8 moved that truck right along.

Too bad the Dakota was such an unreliable, poorly built POS overall.
View Quote
1990 Dakota was my 1st vehicle. Only issues I had were transmissions, but 1990 era Dodges weren't known for being bulletproof.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 10:52:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Got a ‘20 Tacoma, I don’t need a big truck, I just haul camping gear, occasional run to the dump, plus I get 18 mpg
View Quote
My 2010 Tacoma (2x4) got ~17mpg
My 2009 Ram 3500 4x4 dually gets ~16mpg

Small truck gas mileage is rather sad
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 10:55:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Yeah I may go that route in 4x4 here soon
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 10:56:37 AM EDT
[#13]
id like to see the dakota come back.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 11:00:39 AM EDT
[#14]
A rural mail carrier friend of mine drives nothing but extended cab 4x4 S10 trucks. He's had 4 over the years, put 400 to 500k on them. First one was bought new in 03, second bought used cause no longer made. Was totalled out. Bought a mint 3rd that he hates to use on his backwoods route. Bought a 4th so he didn't have to use the nice one.

Currently looking for a 4 door S10 blazer that's not shot.

My personal carrier uses the old rangers.

This two vehicles are just right ride height for mail boxes
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 11:02:16 AM EDT
[#15]
3 Colorado’s and a canyon on the first floor of my parking garage
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 11:02:31 AM EDT
[#16]
I've put 5K miles on a Ford Ranger this year.

They're miserable little things and I don't see any appeal to them at all.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 11:08:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I saw a regular cab short bed truck a few days ago.  Looked like a toy.  OTOH I parked my 09 GMC 2500 HD CC LB next to a new, lifted Ford Super Duty 2500.....what a monster.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/1818/78C6DA46-2182-46D9-B9A0-9D4411CDDDAC_jpe-1286384.JPG
View Quote
Damn homie, Downtrodden's drooling here.

While yes it will have to be a utility driven truck, I have a soft spot for single cab short bed trucks.  I loathed the day when the Chads and Kyles decided to shape the truck market into what it is now.

CCSB bajillion ton brodozer monstrosities are the bane of my existence.  It's like a rolling Monster Energy drink Tapout White Oakley fucktardery billboard of virtue signaling.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 11:18:23 AM EDT
[#18]
An XL 4x2. So essentially a work truck. Yuck
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 11:25:24 AM EDT
[#19]
I see new Colorado’s everywhere. Not so much with the Ranger.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 11:27:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Honestly I think the thing that most people miss about the minitruck era was the ability to access the bed without having to climb in it.

For people who actually used their truck for hauling (general light homeowner stuff), a simple bed height and width where you can reach in and grab what you need is great to have.  No, it won't tow your gooseneck trailer, nor be appropriate for deep swamp bogging, nor be able to haul rail road ties well, nor add inches to your dick... but for the average diy home improvement/garden guy an easily accessible bed is great to have.  With my ever-increasing crummy knees, I don't want to climb and rappel like a damn 20 year old ninja to get a bag of compost.  Ymmv of course.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 12:03:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Id like to see a picture of the two side by side.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 2020 Ranger is the size of an early 90s F150.  They are not "small trucks". They are quite a bit larger than the third gen Ranger.
Id like to see a picture of the two side by side.
I see 3 or 4 rangers a day. All are 4 door and 4wd. They're not a small truck. If you see one driving from a block away it looks like a f150 untill you're close enough to read the tailgate.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 12:04:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Y'all need to talk to Smyth Performance.

Link Posted: 2/22/2020 12:12:48 PM EDT
[#23]
These damn threads.

No, today's midsize trucks aren't "pretty much" the size of any half ton truck made in the last ~60 years. The only overlap is ride height. Don't believe me? Let's think about this...

Since the 1960s or so, half ton trucks have been wide enough that (non Walmart sized) adults could sit three wide on one bench with reasonable comfort. The transmission tunnel or floor mounted shifters might have been a problem, but hip room and shoulder room were not. Try that in a modern midsizer like the Tacoma or Ranger and let us know how that works out.

Maybe we should also consider that, before the introduction of the 10th gen F-150 and the Super Duty, 1/2 tons, 3/4 tons, and 1 tons all had the same body. Frames, suspension, drivetrains, and other components were different, but the bodies were not. Those engine bays were big enough to accommodate large inline 6s, big block V8s, and diesels with room to spare. In some cases, mechanics could sit on the fender with their legs in the engine bay. Midsize trucks? Not even close.

Bed space isn't remotely comparable, either.

The reality is, there was enough white space between half ton trucks and the old compact trucks for there to be an opportunity for midsize trucks. The midsize truck segment took over, and the market abandoned the compact segment.

Outside of cheap little FWD pickups for use by delivery fleets, I don't think there's a market for compact trucks anymore. Consumers are migrating by the million from traditional passenger sedans to taller, more spacious CUVs. How many people really want to roll around on America's interstates at 70+ MPH in a beer can with a bed while surrounded by the aforementioned CUVs?
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 12:16:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I see new Colorado’s everywhere. Not so much with the Ranger.
View Quote
The Colorado has been on the market unchanged since 2014. There are almost 6 years worth of them rolling around.

The new Ranger didn't start selling in volume until April 2019.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 12:22:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Evidently. GM/Chevy even killed the regular cab SWB for 2020.
I should have bought it
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 12:28:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Honestly I think the thing that most people miss about the minitruck era was the ability to access the bed without having to climb in it.

For people who actually used their truck for hauling (general light homeowner stuff), a simple bed height and width where you can reach in and grab what you need is great to have.  No, it won't tow your gooseneck trailer, nor be appropriate for deep swamp bogging, nor be able to haul rail road ties well, nor add inches to your dick... but for the average diy home improvement/garden guy an easily accessible bed is great to have.  With my ever-increasing crummy knees, I don't want to climb and rappel like a damn 20 year old ninja to get a bag of compost.  Ymmv of course.
View Quote
There is a lot of truth to this.
During the heyday of the minitruck era, most manufacturers produced two distinct models of the same truck.
The 2wd versions often had different chassis with a lower ride height and smaller wheels then their 4x4 counterparts.

The last company that still did that was Toyota and they stopped in 2016 when they revamped the Tacoma. Now they are all 4x4 ride height.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 12:30:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
These damn threads.

No, today's midsize trucks aren't "pretty much" the size of any half ton truck made in the last ~60 years. The only overlap is ride height. Don't believe me? Let's think about this...

Since the 1960s or so, half ton trucks have been wide enough that (non Walmart sized) adults could sit three wide on one bench with reasonable comfort. The transmission tunnel or floor mounted shifters might have been a problem, but hip room and shoulder room were not. Try that in a modern midsizer like the Tacoma or Ranger and let us know how that works out.

Maybe we should also consider that, before the introduction of the 10th gen F-150 and the Super Duty, 1/2 tons, 3/4 tons, and 1 tons all had the same body. Frames, suspension, drivetrains, and other components were different, but the bodies were not. Those engine bays were big enough to accommodate large inline 6s, big block V8s, and diesels with room to spare. In some cases, mechanics could sit on the fender with their legs in the engine bay. Midsize trucks? Not even close.

The reality is, there was enough white space between half ton trucks and the old compact trucks for there to be an opportunity for midsize trucks. The midsize truck segment took over, and the market abandoned the compact segment.

Outside of cheap little FWD pickups for use by delivery fleets, I don't think there's a market for compact trucks anymore. Consumers are migrating by the million from traditional passenger sedans to taller, more spacious CUVs. How many people really want to roll around on America's interstates at 70+ MPH in a beer can with a bed while surrounded by the aforementioned CUVs?
View Quote
Make a small body on frame truck the size of a subcompact with subcompact pricing (13-15k) from a manufacturer that doesn't have a large truck market share to worry about and it will sell. If Hyundai Motor group had any sense, they would have pushed one instead of the Honda Ridgeline ripoff.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 12:32:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Full sized F150 gets near 20mpg.  Tell me why I'd want a smaller truck.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 12:35:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Ford ranger, chevy colorado?
View Quote
Just saw a commercial for the Ranger. It was advertised at $43-$45 thousand. FUCK THAT.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 12:37:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
My '97 extended cab Ranger 2wd, 2.3L, 5-spd XLT would get 27-28mpg on the highway with A/C on. Low 20s around town. Nothing can touch that anymore.
View Quote
I wouldn't want to drive a 2.3L Ranger with the A/C on.

I bleed blue, and that motor is an absolute dog.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 12:39:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Trucks are too danm big

I want a truck the size of a danm forte, but no

All I need or want is a 5 foot bed, 2 doors and a 2L engine
View Quote
I want basically a Soul with a bed and rwd. My 01 ranger is very handy for the bed alone. It has no power and couldn't barely tow more than a utility trailer, but that's all I need.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 12:44:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Trucks that size all over the streets in Australia.  The work truck of the average tradie is the size of the early 90's Toyota trucks with a much better designed bed storage system than anything you find here in the US.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 12:46:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think you hit the nail on the head. My old Mazda 1600 and 2000 pickups would allow you to reach just about anything in the bed, and I am a short guy. The old Rangers are higher, but still doable. The bed height on new F-150's, etc. are absurd.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 12:47:00 PM EDT
[#34]
I rent these to go on road trips. Usually less $ then a car.  I would buy one too, but it costs too much.  Even 13's & 14's with 70K+ miles are $15K
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 12:50:25 PM EDT
[#35]
I like mine.

But yeah, small trucks don’t exist any more. My 2000 Dodge Dakota was the same size as my parents 1978 Ram.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 12:55:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Make a small body on frame truck the size of a subcompact with subcompact pricing (13-15k) from a manufacturer that doesn't have a large truck market share to worry about and it will sell. If Hyundai Motor group had any sense, they would have pushed one instead of the Honda Ridgeline ripoff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
These damn threads.

That price point is completely unrealistic.

Developing, tooling, and starting up production for a new platform costs millions and millions of dollars, and few people would actually buy that.

Look for the cheapest new Nissan Frontier you can find. That’s a really basic vehicle that has had all of the startup costs paid off since the Bush Administration. That’s the floor. Any new BOF vehicle, no matter how small or basic, will cost at least that much.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 12:58:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
These damn threads.

View Quote
2020 ranger  211? L x 78? W x 71-72? H 3,922 to 4,441 lbs

1995 f150 222 L x 79 W x 75 H. 3,925 to 4,307 lbs

Seems pretty close to me.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 1:14:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Just saw a commercial for the Ranger. It was advertised at $43-$45 thousand. FUCK THAT.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So don't buy one that has all the bells and whistles on it. The truck starts around $24,000.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 1:16:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Oh look another GD I wish we could buy a genuine hilux micro pickup thread.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 1:20:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
And at that size, weight, gas mileage, and price point, you might as well get a half ton.

Kharn
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The 2020 Ranger is the size of an early 90s F150.  They are not "small trucks". They are quite a bit larger than the third gen Ranger.
And at that size, weight, gas mileage, and price point, you might as well get a half ton.

Kharn
That's the real irony of today's "small trucks."   The price difference between similarly equipped F150 and a new Ranger is such that it seems goofy to spend up to 90% of the cost of a big truck to purchase a little one.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 1:27:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I've put 5K miles on a Ford Ranger this year.

They're miserable little things and I don't see any appeal to them at all.
View Quote
"Little" things?

I owned a 1991 F150 until about a year ago.  It was about the same size as a new Ranger (other posts on this thread back up that claim with data.)

Even though it's not as big as a new F150, I would NOT call my 1991 "little"

Unless you are some giant fat-ass, the interior volume of a 1991 F-150 (or a new Ranger) isn't tiny.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 1:29:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
Current Hilux is roughly the same size as our Tacoma.

As far as older 'luxes, I am covered. Got 3 sitting here (the USDM "truck" from the 80s is basically the same)
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 1:31:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 1:35:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I saw a regular cab short bed truck a few days ago.  Looked like a toy.  OTOH I parked my 09 GMC 2500 HD CC LB next to a new, lifted Ford Super Duty 2500.....what a monster.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/1818/78C6DA46-2182-46D9-B9A0-9D4411CDDDAC_jpe-1286384.JPG
View Quote
Last I checked you can’t get em like that from Ford.

Someone built that.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 1:37:30 PM EDT
[#45]
I miss both of these trucks.

small enough to fit in the garage, affordable, big enough for deer hunting.

94 nissan, 93 ranger

Link Posted: 2/22/2020 1:37:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
Agreed.

I’d consider buying one for my kid but that’s about it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 1:39:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

As far as older 'luxes, I am covered. Got 3 sitting here (the USDM "truck" from the 80s is basically the same)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If Toyota could sell 'em here, they would.  Nobody would actually buy one because they're tiny, underpowered, and uncomfortable.

I see 'em all the time.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 1:41:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I miss both of these trucks.

small enough to fit in the garage, affordable, big enough for deer hunting.

94 nissan, 93 ranger

https://media.ed.edmunds-media.com/nissan/truck/1994/oem/1994_nissan_truck_extended-cab-pickup_se-v6_fq_oem_1_500.jpg

https://consumerguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/93114071990215.jpg
View Quote
I had an '87 Nissan identical that one but it was blue.  Got horrible gas mileage and was painfully underpowered.  Shredded the front hubs pretty much every time it went into 4X4 and always needed a distributor cap.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 1:42:24 PM EDT
[#49]
I dig that.

Is it FWD or built on the R32 platform
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 1:43:00 PM EDT
[#50]
I miss my 1999 Sonoma.

3 months after I paid it off.

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top