Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/27/2023 11:21:13 PM EDT
buddy is hooking me up with a F250 that I will use as my tow rig...has a 5.4 3v....anyway to actually have it make enough power to get out it's own way?
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 11:22:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Slap a turbo on it?
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 11:22:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Let me sing you the song of my people

Link Posted: 6/27/2023 11:23:42 PM EDT
[#3]
They make a supercharger kit, or turbo.

Both will make a ton of power compared to what you have now.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 11:24:31 PM EDT
[#4]
FTPNI
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 11:25:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

hells yeah brother....I can just fab up my own shit with a cheap pulsar...prolly score a used diesel intercooler that would bolt right up to the core support
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 11:25:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Whipple it
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 11:25:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
They make a supercharger kit, or turbo.

Both will make a ton of power compared to what you have now.
View Quote

Turbo would be better as I can just fab up my own plumbing.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 11:26:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Whipple it
View Quote

too much $$$$
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 11:26:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't you hate Ford?
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 11:27:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Turbo would be easier, but low down torque is better with a supercharger because it doesn't have to spool.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 11:31:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Nitrous, but youll probably have an oiling system failure, cam phaser failure, or destroy your spark plugs or have an intake manifold spit coolant.

Best thing to do is drive that 5.4 as-is knowing its completely outclassed by Chevrolet small blocks. When it dies, go find an LS powered truck.

Sincerely,

A former Ford Modular fanboi.  5.4 Shelby engine and 6.8 Triton V10 2v.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 11:33:44 PM EDT
[#12]
They are decent power motors, just slow, empty or loaded, towing or not

I got 12mpg empty or towing, around town or on the highway. Hope you got the 8’ bed with 36 gallon tank
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 11:33:47 PM EDT
[#13]
The Ford 5.4L 3V is such a shit engine.

Ford F150s were some of the most underpowered trucks until the new 5.0L V8 and Ecoboost came out. It's even more gutless in an F250.

I know what you mean, when I was a Ford fan I bought a 2006 F150 CrewCab 4x4 6.5ft bed. Then I had to lemon law it due to it eating transmissions.

I mean you could turbo charge it, but the engine still isn't that great.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 11:38:38 PM EDT
[#14]
While everyone above is correct, the single best and cheapest thing you can do is crawl underneath it, find the dumb fucking bullshit exhaust Y pipe that goes from 2 inches or so to a reducer and back to 2 or 3 in piping and cut it out. Check out SPD y pipes for the modular triton engines.

Then, after you realize the fucker has got at least 1000 broken exhaust studs, replace them and the manifolds with a set of Gibson shorty headers (or similar) paired with a muffler of your choice - don’t waste money on any kits or stuff, you’ll already have the 3 in piping on it.

You could add on a cold air intake to help it breathe a bit better with the exhaust but you’d probably be fine as is.

If it’s a 3v engine, you might look into phaser locks from livernois and maybe a tuner from 5 star tuning. Probably do all that under 1500 (minus tuner) and you’ll actually have a good running 5.4. Oh and replace the plugs before they get fucked too
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 11:42:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The Ford 5.4L 3V is such a shit engine.

Ford F150s were some of the most underpowered trucks until the new 5.0L V8 and Ecoboost came out. It's even more gutless in an F250.

I know what you mean, when I was a Ford fan I bought a 2006 F150 CrewCab 4x4 6.5ft bed. Then I had to lemon law it due to it eating transmissions.

I mean you could turbo charge it, but the engine still isn't that great.
View Quote

There was a supercharger setup for the 4.6/5.4 SOHC engines that was rather respectable.

But the fucking goofball threads on the spark plugs and nigh impossible to remove exhaust bolts... Ugh.

So close, yet so far...
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 11:44:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Kenne bell…
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 11:44:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Lots of  5.4 blower kits for as little new and used..by far the easiest way to get more reliable power out of a pickup..I would take the blower over a turbo its more instantaneous, more right on the money when you need it for pulling loads..

Check these guys...even mild you are looking at at least a 50% power increase..so a 300 hp 5.4 would make 450 hp, reliably if done right..This is what we used to do with guys needing more power from. small block but didn't want a big block,  easy way to get clean reliable HP...

https://www.procharger.com/truck-superchargers/ford-truck/2008-04-f-150-5-4-3v/
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 11:44:29 PM EDT
[#18]
this truck is gonna cost you a lot of money
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 11:45:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Turbo would be easier, but low down torque is better with a supercharger because it doesn't have to spool.
View Quote

Yep,, blower would be a much better choice for pulling...
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 11:48:39 PM EDT
[#20]
I tightened the power bands in my transmission.

Runs a lot better now.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 11:50:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Lots of  5.4 blower kits for as little new and used..by far the easiest way to get more reliable power out of a pickup..I would take the blower over a turbo its more instantaneous, more right on the money when you need it for pulling loads..

Check these guys...even mild you are looking at at least a 50% power increase..so a 300 hp 5.4 would make 450 hp, reliably if done right..This is what we used to do with guys needing more power from. small block but didn't want a big block,  easy way to get clean reliable HP...

View Quote

In the 2006 F150 I had I wouldn't trust the transmission it had with that amount of power.

The only thing I liked about that truck was it was a CrewCab with the 6.5ft bed and had a 36 gallon gas tank. Still only got 13.7 mpg if the wind wasn't blowing.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 11:57:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Couple fukishima faster fans.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 12:01:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 12:01:24 AM EDT
[#24]
I thought I owned the last running 3V 5.4L.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 12:16:57 AM EDT
[#25]
I’d slap a simple belt drive 6psi centrifugal supercharger on it and be sure to replace the head gasket and head bolts while I was at it because that’s an old, tired engine that needs all the help it can get at this point. It will get out of it’s own way if you do that and probably won’t ‘splode right away like it definitely will with a big and excessive custom turbo job.

The 5.4 engines weren’t exactly slouches for a small block V8 truck engine in their time, but by contemporary standards they are sort of a dog and I never understood why they put them in Super Duty trucks even back then - a big block or a diesel engine was the obvious choice for a 3/4 or 1 ton. The 5.4 came out during a time when any stock vehicle over 300 horsepower was considered very extreme. The V8 engine that the 5.4 replaced was a pushrod 5.0/302 that made 199 horsepower at the flywheel to put it into perspective; I had one and it was considered somewhat fast in it’s day, and now it would lose a drag race with a minivan.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 12:31:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Don't you hate Ford?
View Quote

Yes...but I am a masochist
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 12:33:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
this truck is gonna cost you a lot of money
View Quote

can't be that bad compared to the 6.4 PSD I had, now that was a pile of shit that ran like a scalded dog
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 12:34:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

In the 2006 F150 I had I wouldn't trust the transmission it had with that amount of power.

The only thing I liked about that truck was it was a CrewCab with the 6.5ft bed and had a 36 gallon gas tank. Still only got 13.7 mpg if the wind wasn't blowing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This one has the big ass 6rw11 or what ever its called, it can handle 1100 ftlbs torques
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 12:34:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Sell it and get a 6.7
View Quote

It's only cost me $1500
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 12:36:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I’d slap a simple belt drive 6psi centrifugal supercharger on it and be sure to replace the head gasket and head bolts while I was at it because that’s an old, tired engine that needs all the help it can get at this point. It will get out of it’s own way if you do that and probably won’t ‘splode right away like it definitely will with a big and excessive custom turbo job.

The 5.4 engines weren’t exactly slouches for a small block V8 truck engine in their time, but by contemporary standards they are sort of a dog and I never understood why they put them in Super Duty trucks even back then - a big block or a diesel engine was the obvious choice for a 3/4 or 1 ton. The 5.4 came out during a time when any stock vehicle over 300 horsepower was considered very extreme. The V8 engine that the 5.4 replaced was a pushrod 5.0/302 that made 199 horsepower at the flywheel to put it into perspective; I had one and it was considered somewhat fast in it’s day, and now it would lose a drag race with a minivan.
View Quote

I remember those days...fuckin vette was making 350HP and people were like...hell fucking yeah!
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 12:36:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Sell it and get a 6.7
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 12:42:28 AM EDT
[#32]
I have an old edge programmer that works great on my 07 F150.

ETA:

Quick and Simple Review of the Edge Evolution Programmer
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 1:01:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I remember those days...fuckin vette was making 350HP and people were like...hell fucking yeah!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A buddy of mine got the 1st gen new GTO making 400hp with an advanced traction control and to the rest of us poors that seemed like he’d bought a fighter jet. My new F150 is roughly that fast now even if it still doesn’t handle quite as well.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 1:35:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

A buddy of mine got the 1st gen new GTO making 400hp with an advanced traction control and to the rest of us poors that seemed like he’d bought a fighter jet. My new F150 is roughly that fast now even if it still doesn’t handle quite as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean like this?

Attachment Attached File

This one is mine 2005 QSM 6 speed with SAP parts on red interior.

It's for sale too!
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 1:45:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Replace the exhaust manifolds. By the time I had both of mine changed, it was like getting a new engine. It reminded me of how much Ass it had when I first got it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 1:46:46 AM EDT
[#36]
A 5.4 in f250needs to be revved to make any power.

Dads 06 f250 5.4 with manual 6 speed has to be revved to make any power.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 9:52:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 9:58:29 AM EDT
[#38]
I had a CCLB f250 with 5.4

Engine was fine for everything except towing.  The rest of the truck was a broke down pile of shit like every other Ford.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 10:30:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Replace it with a V10.  That's what I have in my F250.  The 5.4 was fine in the half ton, but you need more in the 3/4 ton.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 11:18:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Sell it and buy a ram with either the 6.4 hemi or the 6.7 cummins.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 11:20:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Sell it and buy a ram with either the 6.4 hemi or the 6.7 cummins.
View Quote

Pretty much what I was going to post.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 11:55:05 AM EDT
[#42]
I love my Fords, but I thought that engine was a dog.  Mine ran great, and I drove the fuck out of it, but it was slow as hell.  The low geared read end just made it worse.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 12:01:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Nitrous, but youll probably have an oiling system failure, cam phaser failure, or destroy your spark plugs or have an intake manifold spit coolant.

Best thing to do is drive that 5.4 as-is knowing its completely outclassed by Chevrolet small blocks. When it dies, go find an LS powered truck.

Sincerely,

A former Ford Modular fanboi.  5.4 Shelby engine and 6.8 Triton V10 2v.
View Quote

This. Dark days there in the late 90’s and 00’s
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 12:08:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I love my Fords, but I thought that engine was a dog.  Mine ran great, and I drove the fuck out of it, but it was slow as hell.  The low geared read end just made it worse.
View Quote

I am not trying to win any drag races, I just want to be able to pull 9000 lbs up the Hale Boggs bridge and not bog down
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 12:14:57 PM EDT
[#45]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/476-342.gif

You’re gonna sit there, owning a 5.4, and tell me you ain’t got no Nagasaki noisy bois? No Hiroshima hair dryers? Not even a single teriyaki tornado?
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 12:19:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I am not trying to win any drag races, I just want to be able to pull 9000 lbs up the Hale Boggs bridge and not bog down
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m just saying that that engine was the most underpowered engine for the size I’ve ever driven.

Link Posted: 6/28/2023 12:19:43 PM EDT
[#47]
3.5 EB swap.

Link Posted: 6/28/2023 12:22:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Slap a turbo on it?
View Quote

arnt the 3 valve 5.4s known to mortar spark plugs at NORMAL pressures?
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 12:44:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I’m just saying that that engine was the most underpowered engine for the size I’ve ever driven.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah I agree with you, I had two Navigators with them, not much power
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 12:45:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Slap a turbo on it?

By 2008 the 5.4 wasn't yeeeting plugs, I think that was a 4.6 thing
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top