BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 7:29:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've always envisioned Roland's pistols as being Colt Walkers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't think the revolvers design has to be based on anything from our universe.

Actually I think I'd like it better if it was a bit different.

I know the sandalwood grips aren't from this planet, anyway.

http://m9.i.pbase.com/g1/64/521964/2/126358509.RGTVCGDl.jpg

Oily, sticky, resinous wood known and prized almost exclusively for its aromatic qualities.  Due to it's demand in the ME for religious reasons (incense), almost impossible to acquire in large enough quantity to make grips from...(as a huge dork, I tried several years ago to craft my own Big Guns using Vaqueros).

I've always envisioned Roland's pistols as being Colt Walkers.

LOL...me too, but I don't have Walkers, or Walker money.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 7:53:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Is King going to play himself? (that part was so retarded)
View Quote

The last three books were beyond 'tarded.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 8:15:05 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

The Dark Tower books were just awful.
View Quote
Kindly choke yourself.

Thankee sai.

Link Posted: 3/2/2016 9:56:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
There's a lot of white actors I like.  Tom Cruise, Mark Wahlberg, Peter Dinklage, etc.  It wouldn't make sense for any of them to play Roland either.  Roland fits a very specific character type.
View Quote

It's funny you mentioned Cruise, as this was much worse than Elba as Roland.

Link Posted: 3/2/2016 9:59:52 AM EDT
[#5]
what the hell is dark tower? is that a remake of that movie from the 80s with muppets?  what kind of muppet is idris going to play the main character?
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 10:03:38 AM EDT
[#6]
It's been along time since I've read any of the Dark Tower books but I don't recall King ever saying saying that Roland was a certain race/color. So why does it matter the color of the actor playing a made up character from a book?
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 10:40:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It's been along time since I've read any of the Dark Tower books but I don't recall King ever saying saying that Roland was a certain race/color. So why does it matter the color of the actor playing a made up character from a book?
View Quote

Again, Detta Walker refers to him as white when he comes into her mind. She senses a white presence inside her head. On the beach she refers to Roland and Eddie as "Honky Mahfahs".

A black man is not a honky.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 10:42:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Walkers are cap and ball, Roland reloads using cartridges. Is there a cartridge firing .44 or .45 the size of a Walker? I've always pictured something the size of a X frame.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 11:39:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Again, Detta Walker refers to him as white when he comes into her mind. She senses a white presence inside her head. On the beach she refers to Roland and Eddie as "Honky Mahfahs".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess as I've assessed TDT movie possibilities, it never occurred to me that Detta Walker's racist rants would make it into the film.   Just like I never once considered the 12 year old gang-bang in IT would get buttoned into the film.    There's stuff that you can't do in film (and I'm not sure the kiddos fuckin' ought to have made it into the IT book anyway, ewwww).

There's nothing wrong with casting a man of a different race here, it seems to me.   Remember that "Red" in Shawshank Redemption was supposed to be an Irishman and the movie turned out amazing in part because of the change to Morgan Freeman.

What's more disappointing to me is casting a hot blonde actress for an obese low woman rat character that has appearances on two pages of book 6 and maybe one page of book 7 as a "lead" in this film.

Stephen King was a lot better when he was a wet brain.   Its a thing with writers, sometimes they're better on the sauce.

Now King is all political, and wants to be anti-gun even though he INVENTED school shootings.   (Ref:  Rage, 1977).  

The last incarnation of the "lets do the dark tower" idea was killed and he decided he could get it made by turning it into something different.

I hope this one winds up in development hell, and that they go back to the drawing board and come back and use MY idea here as a mix of HBO miniseries and two movies (movies:  the flashback to mejis, the wolves of the calla and the battle of Blue Heaven and final push to the tower).

https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1364109
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 11:42:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/29/dark-tower-rises-stephen-king-idris-elba-and-matthew-mcconaughey

Now I'm going to have to reread a few of them picturing Idris as Roland. I always had a young Clint Eastwood in my mind. I would have never pictured Matthew McConaughey as the man in black. Two great actors, I'm betting it's going to be awesome.

What revolver do you picture in your mind with you think of Roland?

View Quote

I pictured a break top like the Schofield or a Webley in .45.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 11:46:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

because King described Roland as a white guy with blue eyes, and one of the main characters tried to kill him because he was white.. I mean there were black Gunslingers in the books. Roland was a white guy.

I dont think it really matters tho.

the books sucked past the first one.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 11:49:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

How progressive of them.  It makes no sense.
View Quote

Meh, in this case it doesn't really matter as the whole world is made up.  I'm just wondering if he's a little long in the tooth now.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 11:49:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had actually forgotten about all of the racial Detta Walker stuff.  Honestly that could all be left out without hurting my feelings.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 11:51:08 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
because King described Roland as a white guy with blue eyes, and one of the main characters tried to kill him because he was white.. I mean there were black Gunslingers in the books. Roland was a white guy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I liked them until the third. After that it was basically King sucking himself off.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 11:51:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
a black guy as the gunslinger?  What no Asians were available or maybe they could have used a woman.  It could be more of a interpretation or some shit.
View Quote

Sure, they actually had black lawmen and outlaws in the Old West.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 11:51:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I guess as I've assessed TDT movie possibilities, it never occurred to me that Detta Walker's racist rants would make it into the film.   Just like I never once considered the 12 year old gang-bang in IT would get buttoned into the film.    There's stuff that you can't do in film (and I'm not sure the kiddos fuckin' ought to have made it into the IT book anyway, ewwww).

There's nothing wrong with casting a man of a different race here, it seems to me.   Remember that "Red" in Shawshank Redemption was supposed to be an Irishman and the movie turned out amazing in part because of the change to Morgan Freeman.

What's more disappointing to me is casting a hot blonde actress for an obese low woman rat character that has appearances on two pages of book 6 and maybe one page of book 7 as a "lead" in this film.

Stephen King was a lot better when he was a wet brain.   Its a thing with writers, sometimes they're better on the sauce.

Now King is all political, and wants to be anti-gun even though he INVENTED school shootings.   (Ref:  Rage, 1977).  

The last incarnation of the "lets do the dark tower" idea was killed and he decided he could get it made by turning it into something different.

I hope this one winds up in development hell, and that they go back to the drawing board and come back and use MY idea here as a mix of HBO miniseries and two movies (movies:  the flashback to mejis, the wolves of the calla and the battle of Blue Heaven and final push to the tower).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For what it is worth, I did the same as you, outlined the same books, with the horn.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 11:52:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

You're right.  It's been a long time, and you don't recall.

Link Posted: 3/2/2016 11:54:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Walkers are cap and ball, Roland reloads using cartridges. Is there a cartridge firing .44 or .45 the size of a Walker? I've always pictured something the size of a X frame.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/2/2016 11:54:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I hadn't thought about Josh Brolin - at 5'10"  he seems too short to me though.

One thing that gets me is King always wrote about roland's blue eyes faded by the desert.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There are only two actors I know of that would play a good Roland.  Josh Brolin and Benicio Del Toro.

One thing that gets me is King always wrote about roland's blue eyes faded by the desert.

You know, you could still do that!  A black guy with blue or grey eyes would be kinda cool.  Isn't he the last of a whole different world?
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 12:07:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I liked them until the third. After that it was basically King sucking himself off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

you read the first book that came out in the 1970s. It is dark and brilliant. It had some soul and depth and a unique ethos, pathos and logos that is jarring and compelling. The second book just doesn't have the same essence of raw surrealism, or the same depth. I mean by the fourth book he is just ripping off the wizard of Oz for half his plot line, and then he writes himself into it so he can sell his career catalog, in a shitty and shallow way.     just my opinion.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 12:13:14 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

you read the first book that came out in the 1970s. It is dark and brilliant. It had some soul. The second book just doesn't have the same essence of raw surrealism. I mean by the fourth book he is just ripping off the wizard of Oz for half his plot line, and then he writes himself into it so he can sell his career catalog, in a shitty and shallow way.     just my opinion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

you read the first book that came out in the 1970s. It is dark and brilliant. It had some soul. The second book just doesn't have the same essence of raw surrealism. I mean by the fourth book he is just ripping off the wizard of Oz for half his plot line, and then he writes himself into it so he can sell his career catalog, in a shitty and shallow way.     just my opinion.

Oh yeah, I read the first book in its unaltered form. Probably the best thing he has ever written and definitely different, almost poetic. The 2nd and third were still good IMO, but more like a standard sifi/fantasy in tone.

I hate how he tried to tie all of his other works into for no fucking reason, and how he wrote himself in (it would have been 100 times better if he had just written it as himself in a wink wink way with a different name and not a "hey this is like literally me you faggots".)

Link Posted: 3/2/2016 12:21:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I had actually forgotten about all of the racial Detta Walker stuff.  Honestly that could all be left out without hurting my feelings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, of course it could!  No need for all that nastiness!
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 12:22:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Oh yeah, I read the first book in its unaltered form. Probably the best thing he has ever written and definitely different, almost poetic. The 2nd and third were still good IMO, but more like a standard sifi/fantasy in tone.

I hate how he tried to tie all of his other works into for no fucking reason, and how he wrote himself in (it would have been 100 times better if he had just written it as himself in a wink wink way with a different name and not a "hey this is like literally me you faggots".)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with everything you have said. Reading the first book, you can see that King poured his own spirit into the creation. He made a personal investment into what he was writing.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 12:35:38 PM EDT
[#24]
I always imagined Roland's revolvers more like the hand cannons in Destiny (the video game) rather than any real guns.  Something like The Last Word:

Link Posted: 3/2/2016 12:37:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It has nothing to do with it being "nasty".  I just don't think it would take anything away from the story if they removed it.  You know they're going to leave shit out in order to cram 8 rather long books into 3 movies, and I'd rather them leave that out than something that actually matters.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 1:22:20 PM EDT
[#26]

Swap the grips for sandalwood, and maybe with slightly less engraving, though the books say there is a little.  And obviously switch to blued steel.

Or maybe this one:

Link Posted: 3/2/2016 7:05:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It has nothing to do with it being "nasty".  I just don't think it would take anything away from the story if they removed it.  You know they're going to leave shit out in order to cram 8 rather long books into 3 movies, and I'd rather them leave that out than something that actually matters.
View Quote

IMO, it would.  The creation of their ka-tet is almost the entire story.  The difficulties Susannah (detta) had becoming a part of their ka-tet (and who she was as a person growing up during the civil rights movement) is not something you should just leave out, so you can have a black actor.

I've got no issue with Elba.  He is a good actor and will probably make a good Roland.  It just won't be the Roland that was on a quest for the dark tower.  It will be some other Roland from some other world.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 8:54:11 PM EDT
[#28]

Bingo.  Straight out of my mind's eye.
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 6:00:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

except Rolands guns had swinging cylinders.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 2:36:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

In one book, and then loading gates in the next.  And I think in Book 4 (or 5??) they actually have BOTH and get reloaded using BOTH methods at different points.  
It's obvious that King isn't a gun expert, and hasn't watched enough Westerns either.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 2:46:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 3:41:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

In one book, and then loading gates in the next.  And I think in Book 4 (or 5??) they actually have BOTH and get reloaded using BOTH methods at different points.  
It's obvious that King isn't a gun expert, and hasn't watched enough Westerns either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He also talks about "thumbing the triggers" or something like that at one point IIRC.  A lot of his firearms terminology was screwed up, but I enjoyed the story enough that I didn't care.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 4:13:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Sorry, as much as I like Idris Elba as an actor having him play Roland is horrible.

I also don't believe they can do the story justice in a single movie, a trilogy would even be pushing it. The Dark Tower series was one of my favorite series of all time, the ending was pretty retarded though.
View Quote

The ending was shit.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 4:43:54 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote
1 or 2 books that I couldn't finish. I think King just gets paid by the page. The shit is terrible.

Link Posted: 3/5/2016 9:22:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I was picturing Whoopi as a double amputee and giggling my ass off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Damn it, they're going to turn it into Blazing Saddles

I saw it as a season of TV per 2 books.

It's going to take a dedicated actor for the Lobstrosity scene losing the fingers.

Hell, Daniel Craig could pull it off.

He's a little short maybe, but he's got the eyes.

Complaining about casting a black guy as Roland isn't racist, not in the slightest.  Major, as in multiple books, dealt with the fact that Roland was white.  If you make Roland black, you have to make Eddie black, Jake black, and Susannah into a white woman that hates black people.

Essentially, you need to make nearly every character into the book black, except Susannah.  Nothing else would even make sense.

I was picturing Whoopi as a double amputee and giggling my ass off.

I actually think she would nail that role
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 7:41:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I actually think she would nail that role
View Quote

Twenty years ago, I would have agreed with you...but I think she's too old now.  She has the sass down, and I believe she could nail the character, but her age is just wrong.  A young Whoopi would have been perfect.
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 7:44:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

You have forgotten the face of your father.
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 7:53:09 PM EDT
[#38]
http://www.bartleby.com/246/654.html

Link Posted: 3/5/2016 8:15:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure 90% of everything will be left out.
As is par for the course in every one of his film adaptations.
Also why all but one or two have been utter crap.
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 8:17:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You know, you could still do that!  A black guy with blue or grey eyes would be kinda cool.  Isn't he the last of a whole different world?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
There are only two actors I know of that would play a good Roland.  Josh Brolin and Benicio Del Toro.

He's worn color contacts in roles before, I believe.

Was it the second Ghost Rider?
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 8:28:07 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Whats wrong with Idris Elba, dude is a badass actor? Are you limpdicks really that butthurt that a black guy is cast in a movie based on a book where the character was white? It has no bearing on the plot whatsoever, it literally doesn't matter what color the dudes skin is. The guy that wrote the fucking story had a hand in the casting for fucks sake.
View Quote

It makes as much sense as casting a red headed Irish guy to play Alladin.
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top