Quoted:
People Mock what they don't understand.
View Quote

Lol, ok.... enlighten us and be sure to apply physics to your smug folly
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 12:16:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 12:25:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm intrigued by these, but i dont plan on dropping $90K plus ever on a vehicle, and damn the front end is ugly.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 12:27:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Rivian CEO should concentrate on making sure the company lives to see 2024.
View Quote

Correct. One of my neighbors recently sold his back to Rivian.  There were terminal software issues that kept forcing hard reboots of the vehicle, heavy parasitic loads on the battery.

For some of the resets, a Rivian technician had to do it in person, meaning lots of tow trucks.

That's an anecdote, but what isn't is the fact that they lost most of their senior leadership last week.  

Guess it's harder to execute on auto manufacturing than one might think.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 12:28:45 PM EDT
[#5]
A face only a mother could love.

Not with my money.

Link Posted: 1/17/2023 12:30:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Jay sure is getting old
View Quote

I believe he’s 72 years old now.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 12:31:56 PM EDT
[#7]
And if the dot fed corrupt gov has to give our money away to sell them?

Fuck that and fuck the government.  

It’s time for another revolution.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 12:37:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Jay Leno is the consummate car guy.

It doesn’t matter to him if it is powered by steam, gas, diesel, electricity or nut coal.

I enjoy watching his channel.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 12:43:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What happens if we remove the gov from all things electric vehicles?  Will they survive based on organic demand and markets, or does it take big daddy 10%?
View Quote
Goes for solar and wind power as well. Without .gov subsidies none of it is cost effective. As to what would happen? Natural market forces would continue to move technology towards greener and more efficient products.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 12:51:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Goes for solar and wind power as well. Without .gov subsidies none of it is cost effective. As to what would happen? Natural market forces would continue to move technology towards greener and more efficient products.
View Quote

Towards more coal and natural gas plus petroleum for transportation.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 12:52:53 PM EDT
[#11]
EV's  aren't green. Cobalt for batteries mined by child slave labor. Rare earth mining very dirty. Life span of battery? How much does it cost to replace the battery? Guess where the electricity to charge EV's comes from? Grid can't handle a massive increase in EV charging demands even as libs continue to push to reduce our energy producing capabilities. I'll stick with ICE.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 12:57:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, in the short term for coal. NG gtg for quite some time. Tech for nuclear power is improving and (in a non-clown world) is absolutely the best option to meet all energy needs as far as the eye can see.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 1:01:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Until some significant breakthroughs in production of electricity, storage and faster recharging, EVs will continue to be toy cars for soccer moms, who drive less than 20 miles per day, and can charge up in their garage.  Anything longer range, hauling weight, or even remotely away from civilization, EVs are trash.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 4:08:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Jay Leno is the consummate car guy.

It doesn’t matter to him if it is powered by steam, gas, diesel, electricity or nut coal.

I enjoy watching his channel.
View Quote

that wasn't a show that was a scripted advert showed off with RJ himself and including some stretched numbers being thrown out by Jay. Range parity lol, I like electric and Rivian is doing cool things but lol. Then there's still the infrastructure, you can't even drive one of these things east on i90/94/80 yet without day long level 2 stops. Come on.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 4:36:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Every source of energy has subsidies. The US Navy keeps a lid on middle east warlords to keep the oil moving smoothly. Trillions of dollars. Imagine if tankers started sinking around the middle east what would happen to the price of oil.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 8:32:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Replacing ALL cars with EV's will require a total change to how we live. Or a gigantic change in infrastructure.

They sound great if you work in an office building where every parking spot will have a charger, then you drive home to your house with a spacious 2-car  garage with double chargers.  The concept would work just fine for those people.

In the real world, millions and millions of people live in apartment buildings, a house with no garage, their garage is so full of shit they can't park inside, or one house has so many vehicles they are spilling out into the street.  They work in retail or construction or any of a million other jobs where they won't be able to park next to a charger.  So these "poors" would be required to stop at a charging station and wait around with all the other poors.  Without a major breakthrough in charging time, where is the space going to come from to build these huge lots full of chargers for folks to sit around and wait?  Idiots will do the same thing they currently do with gas and run out of power on the interstate causing some sort of recovery vehicle to stop and charge them up, fucking up traffic and increasing roadside fatalities.  Multiple areas already can't handle the demand for electricity during peak months and now you're going to add on every single vehicle being plugged in to charge?  Come on.

The world sure as fuck isn't ready for 100% EV and their bullshit timeline is just another leftist pipe dream that only works in their fantasy world.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 8:42:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Until some significant breakthroughs in production of electricity, storage and faster recharging, EVs will continue to be toy cars for soccer moms, who drive less than 20 miles per day, and can charge up in their garage.  Anything longer range, hauling weight, or even remotely away from civilization, EVs are trash.
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 9:00:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Guy down the road from me has one.

I know it’s super fast and all of that, but it’s dopey looking to my eye.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 9:21:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

people also "mock" what they do understand while there will be those in the crowd that want to avoid cognitive dissonance so they mock their betters who are mocking what they do understand
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 10:01:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Guy down the road from me has one.

I know it's super fast and all of that, but it's dopey looking to my eye.
View Quote

Once you see it

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/18/2023 10:10:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Hard to invest in something that has a massive hype premium even if it is a sound company.  Tesla is probably the biggest example of that in the history of the planet.  Very profitable, very fast growing company, yet you are still stuck with an overpriced stock making it mostly uninvestible except maybe up until only recently and even then it's not a slam dunk.

View Quote
A lot of people have made gobs of money off Tesla but even though it's down quite a bit, the minute I invest in it I will lose a ton of money.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 10:16:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/18/2023 10:47:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Every source of energy has subsidies. The US Navy keeps a lid on middle east warlords to keep the oil moving smoothly. Trillions of dollars. Imagine if tankers started sinking around the middle east what would happen to the price of oil.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At least we didn't need to worry about middle east oil supplies when Trump had us energy independent and our strategic petroleum reserves full.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 12:00:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Jay sure is getting old
View Quote

Possibly beats the alternative.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 12:02:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
https://www.asktraders.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/Riian-stock-price-12-07-2022.jpg

Peaked at $180 in late 2021
Currently trading at $16.45
View Quote

This.
Been a lot of speculation Rivian will wind up BK before end of 2023.

Go short?
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 12:34:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This guy has made several trips towing with a Rivian between north of Denver to Southern CA.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=out+of+spec+rivian+towing+
View Quote

Anyone who wants to tow with an EV needs to watch that video.  That was grueling.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 3:02:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
At least we didn't need to worry about middle east oil supplies when Trump had us energy independent and our strategic petroleum reserves full.
View Quote

Actually we did. A good war in the Med East and the price of our oil would have shot up. A nice chunk of the US military budget is oil and gas subsidies.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 8:41:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Actually we did. A good war in the Med East and the price of our oil would have shot up. A nice chunk of the US military budget is oil and gas subsidies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except Trump's policies were making the M.E. less volatile and lowering the cost of energy globally. But let's not shift the thread. Rivian's are fugly!
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 8:52:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
EV's  aren't green. Cobalt for batteries mined by child slave labor. Rare earth mining very dirty. Life span of battery? How much does it cost to replace the battery? Guess where the electricity to charge EV's comes from? Grid can't handle a massive increase in EV charging demands even as libs continue to push to reduce our energy producing capabilities. I'll stick with ICE.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You're not wrong about a couple things. But battery life span is getting into the "you won't own the car long enough to wear out the battery" area. So with pretty much all EVs sold today will incur 'battery replacement costs' with about as much worry as you should have for wearing out the engine and transmission in whatever it is that you drive. Everything wears out, eventually. With EV batteries "eventually" is almost measured in decades now.

The grid definitely needs beefing up, but that's probably mostly due to aging infrastructure and population increases. EVs charged overnight when people mostly use them for <40 miles per day commutes won't consume a ton. No, that 100kWh pack in a Model S isn't sucking down 100+Kw every single day.

If all of us with gas vehicles all went to gas stations around us at the same time on the same day and all bought a full tank of gas... we'd probably suck most gas stations dry. But that never happens. Why? The "load" isn't all at the same time.

Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

Letting the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Must not be anyone who has no need to drive thousands of miles a day, haul more than themselves or a couple people and live near civilization. Those people don't exist. So don't make cars for those people!
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:09:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
IIRC, pulling an 8K trailer, the Rivian didn’t even make it 30min to the “test hill” before needed to be recharged.
LOL

No thanks.
View Quote

90% of the bros driving pickups never hook that shiny ball up to a trailer.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:29:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Jay Leno collects cars.  He has an EV that is about 100 years old too.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:42:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

How often do you get in your 2011 Ram 1500 and drive 300+ miles without stopping?

How would it benefit you if you woke up every morning and your truck had a full tank sitting in your driveway without having to stop at a gas station every day?

As always, YMMV, but you're also measuring by what something is capable of, not how you really use it.

My mileage would vary. In an average year, I take about 1-2 road trips. Some years, I don't take any at all. And by road trip, I mean Austin to Phoenix (1000 miles) or to Tampa to visit a friend (1100 miles) or Tennessee to visit a friend (1100 miles). I cannot drive for more than 200 miles straight without having to stop to at least take a piss. Better if I can walk around a bit so my ass doesn't hurt. If I could stop and plug in for 20 minutes to get at least another 200 miles of range.

My daily driving is normally 8 miles to the datacenter, then home. Maybe 3-4 miles on lunch. Or 7 miles to the WeWork office. My grocery store is 3.5 miles away. Home Depot, WalMart... everything is within 5 miles of home. My parents live 29 miles away. The field I usually go to to fly my paramotor is about 35 miles away. An electric truck with 300 miles range, that I can "fill up" every day/night at home would work perfectly for me.

Your use case and mine might differ a little. They might differ wildly. I measure by my use case, you can measure by yours, but remember because something doesn't work for you doesn't mean it won't work for many, many other people.
View Quote

When you use Tesla's potential savings calculator, they should throw in an Angi's list estimate for how much it will cost in your zip code, to install a 50amp service to run the level 2 charger.  No way that a 120A/15amp service is going to allow you to charge overnight if you are below 50% battery capacity when you plug it up.  I've rented Tesla's in Austin, TX for a leisure trip and three times now in my own AO, I could not have survived during any of those weeks of use with ONLY a 120V/15amp mobile charger.

So you save $6500 in gas over an ICE or Hybrid car, but it costs $3000 to install a level 2 charger at your home.  Net savings, $3500 over a run of the mill RAV4 Hybrid or Highlander Hybrid.  It might cost you more to service the loan on the Telsa, and then it's a wash.

If there were superchargers/chargers everywhere, every stall of every lot, I would consider it harder, but right now the infrastructure to support them is woefully under developed.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:55:15 AM EDT
[#33]
I hope hes wrong about "We have to replace all vehicles with EV".

Geek.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:56:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

When you use Tesla's potential savings calculator, they should throw in an Angi's list estimate for how much it will cost in your zip code, to install a 50amp service to run the level 2 charger.  No way that a 120A/15amp service is going to allow you to charge overnight if you are below 50% battery capacity when you plug it up.  I've rented Tesla's in Austin, TX for a leisure trip and three times now in my own AO, I could not have survived during any of those weeks of use with ONLY a 120V/15amp mobile charger.

So you save $6500 in gas over an ICE or Hybrid car, but it costs $3000 to install a level 2 charger at your home.  Net savings, $3500 over a run of the mill RAV4 Hybrid or Highlander Hybrid.  It might cost you more to service the loan on the Telsa, and then it's a wash.

If there were superchargers/chargers everywhere, every stall of every lot, I would consider it harder, but right now the infrastructure to support them is woefully under developed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How often do you get in your 2011 Ram 1500 and drive 300+ miles without stopping?

How would it benefit you if you woke up every morning and your truck had a full tank sitting in your driveway without having to stop at a gas station every day?

As always, YMMV, but you're also measuring by what something is capable of, not how you really use it.

My mileage would vary. In an average year, I take about 1-2 road trips. Some years, I don't take any at all. And by road trip, I mean Austin to Phoenix (1000 miles) or to Tampa to visit a friend (1100 miles) or Tennessee to visit a friend (1100 miles). I cannot drive for more than 200 miles straight without having to stop to at least take a piss. Better if I can walk around a bit so my ass doesn't hurt. If I could stop and plug in for 20 minutes to get at least another 200 miles of range.

My daily driving is normally 8 miles to the datacenter, then home. Maybe 3-4 miles on lunch. Or 7 miles to the WeWork office. My grocery store is 3.5 miles away. Home Depot, WalMart... everything is within 5 miles of home. My parents live 29 miles away. The field I usually go to to fly my paramotor is about 35 miles away. An electric truck with 300 miles range, that I can "fill up" every day/night at home would work perfectly for me.

Your use case and mine might differ a little. They might differ wildly. I measure by my use case, you can measure by yours, but remember because something doesn't work for you doesn't mean it won't work for many, many other people.

You are correct that if you're driving more than 20-30 miles a day a level 1 (120v) will not keep up with your usage at night.  The most expensive Tesla home charger is $400, least expensive is $200....if your installation costs you another $3000+....you're getting ripped off.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 10:05:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Can't get past those cartoon eye headlights.    
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 10:08:48 AM EDT
[#36]
"Made to enjoy the outdoors"

Range not a concern because it's driven by city people who Never drive more than 100miles.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 10:14:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
300 miles to a charge?

I easily go further than that on a tank of fuel in my 2011 Ram 1500…and it won’t take me 90 minutes to get back on the road from empty.

What you are describing is a grocery getter, which is essentially the only use case where EV's win against ICE.  No one buys a brand new "truck" to use as a grocery getter, and that's now how Rivian is marketing themselves.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 10:16:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

He did an interview with Corolla, looks pretty good honestly
View Quote

The doctors scrubbed off all the burnt skin.  Evidently it took a lot of the wrinkles off.  He joked that his wife wants the same treatment.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 10:18:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Solar panels and big batteries. BIG CARS BURN BIG BATTERIES

Can you make your own gas?
View Quote

You can if you have crude oil available.  
Nigeria's illegal oil refineries (2010)
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 10:20:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I thought they were a Chinese company.
View Quote

Polestar is the Chinese EV in the American market.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 8:53:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

What you are describing is a grocery getter, which is essentially the only use case where EV's win against ICE.  No one buys a brand new "truck" to use as a grocery getter, and that's now how Rivian is marketing themselves.
View Quote

You think Rivian is marketing their truck as a "grocery getter"?  

You have obviously not seen 2 seconds of Rivian's marketing. And you're measuring with your own ruler, which probably looks dissimilar to mine.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 9:07:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

But if you drive 234275 miles each year and the price of tea in China is....

I had a level 2 charger at home, as I had a Volt for 4 years. It did not need a 50A service upgrade, I just needed an appropriate outlet wired up in the garage. I think I paid $300 for that. The EVSE cost around $900, IIRC. That was 2013 when I bought it. Tesla chargers aren't really "level 1" (120v) and "level 2" (240V, usually 7200W). The level 1/2 EVSEs would be for vehicles that use the J1772 connector. Tesla is different... I'm not that familiar with their  EVSE, but I know they CAN be configured to push much more than the aforementioned Level 2, and likely would require at least a purpose-wired outlet. Some houses might need additional power, some might not.

But needing to charge even 50% of a Tesla every day overnight tells me you're driving too much in a day, every day, to seriously consider one. If you HAVE to charge a car like that more than 50% every single day, you will want to be close to a Supercharger.

Given most people don't drive more than ~40 miles a day (and that was when pretty much everyone commuted to work every day), a level 2 charger will give you 40 miles of range in about 2 hours of charging. If you've got a Tesla and do end up with a higher output EVSE, it would be much shorter.

It all depends on your use case. And with everything...

Your Mileage May Vary

Link Posted: 1/21/2023 9:15:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
video shot in June before his brush with fire
View Quote
Here's the interview after the fire.

Jay Leno Speaks Out For First Time Since Major Burn Accident

Link Posted: 1/21/2023 10:01:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
300 miles to a charge?

I easily go further than that on a tank of fuel in my 2011 Ram 1500…and it won’t take me 90 minutes to get back on the road from empty.

You must not get out much….I have tons of coworkers who commute to the office in a truck and might haul some lumber in the bed 3 times a year. They don’t need a truck, they want a truck.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 12:23:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Coworker has one. He’s a wiener and is obsessed with it.

Has the matching “collab” water bottle and commemorative matchbox car.

Can’t shut the fuck up about it.

And it has a name. And he only calls it by its name.

Peak douche.
View Quote

That is exactly what I assume about each owner when I see one.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top