User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 9:51:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Ballpark 158kpsi.
View Quote

Wow! That is enough pressure to blow that cap off w/o a bore obstruction.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 9:55:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 9:55:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

My instinct was Vulcan before seeing the video.

Regardless of opinion of this design, for those saying don't cheap out, would a Barrett have held together if the round was overpressure by as much as they estimate?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

I remember running into one of those heaps years back.. So long ago it was still labeled Hesse. (SP)
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 10:03:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ballpark 158kpsi.

Very much so. The pressure curve is such that although there's no way it would reach that peak it would still spike quickly enough to cause materials failure as seen. God knows what kind of powder and how much there was in the suspect SLAP rounds.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 10:06:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Regardless of opinion of this design, for those saying don't cheap out, would a Barrett have held together if the round was overpressure by as much as they estimate?
View Quote

Quite likely any brand would have Kaboomed with bad enough ammo.  The difference is other designs arguably can be stronger, and more importantly, designed with the realization that Kabooms can and do happen; and take that into their design approach.  

Here's a Kaboom report from TFB, on a Bushmaster version.   I'm sure Barret is similar, in that they have a more conventional design which will catostrophically fail in a manner that does try to kill the operator.

Link Posted: 4/30/2021 10:11:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quite likely any brand would have Kaboomed with bad enough ammo.  The difference is other designs arguably can be stronger, and more importantly, designed with the realization that Kabooms can and do happen; and take that into their design approach.  

Here's a Kaboom report from TFB, on a Bushmaster version.   I'm sure Barret is similar, in that they have a more conventional design which will catostrophically fail in a manner that does try to kill the operator.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/IMG_8626.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/IMG_8626.jpg

I'm starting to suspect that your user name is a damned lie.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 10:15:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I don’t know anything about these rifles or this ammo. But when I seen the cap was hand tight it seemed dangerous. The design didn’t install much confidence.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 10:28:04 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd love a Mauser 98 action in 50 BMG. Given that the 50 is proportionally similar to 30-06, it should be possible. Maybe 35 pounds or so, plus a period looking bipod?
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 10:30:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'd love a Mauser 98 action in 50 BMG. Given that the 50 is proportionally similar to 30-06, it should be possible. Maybe 35 pounds or so, plus a period looking bipod?
View Quote

Yeah. We can call it the T-Gewehr.

Link Posted: 4/30/2021 10:31:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/148425/DhxVYyLUwAAW5KO_jpg-1924406.JPG

I remember running into one of those heaps years back.. So long ago it was still labeled Hesse. (SP)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/148425/DhxVYyLUwAAW5KO_jpg-1924406.JPG

Dad owned a Vulcan AR for a while. Complete pile of shit. The BCG was machined off axis, resulting in one of the 'rails' at the bottom being cut to a razor edge, and the other being way too thick.

It did have a neat fixed stock though, with kind of a hook like a Magpul PRS. We should have kept the stock and thrown the rest of the gun in a lake.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 10:31:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/XMBT6nJ.jpg?1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/XMBT6nJ.jpg?1

Yes, but with a box magazine.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 10:33:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I don’t know anything about these rifles or this ammo. But when I seen the cap was hand tight it seemed dangerous. The design didn’t install much confidence.
View Quote

The reason threads need to be tight in most applications is to prevent them from coming loose and falling out over repeated stresses or vibration, not to provide substantial linear strength.

Your bolt action doesn't need to be closed with a breaker bar for the same reason.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 10:54:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Action happens at 4:15, it isnt that hard to find on your own.  

It is an excellent 20 min video and well worth it to watch the whole thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
20 minutes?  Nope.  Post the 5 second clip of the boom, then a link to the 20 minute monologue about it in another video.  

Action happens at 4:15, it isnt that hard to find on your own.  

It is an excellent 20 min video and well worth it to watch the whole thing.

It seems that many here have the attention span of an autistic gnat and are un-interested in learning or actual facts.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 10:56:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The reason threads need to be tight in most applications is to prevent them from coming loose and falling out over repeated stresses or vibration, not to provide substantial linear strength.

Your bolt action doesn't need to be closed with a breaker bar for the same reason.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And if it does need to be closed with a breaker bar or other lever - stop. Something is badly wrong.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 11:08:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Who is making/selling counterfeit SLAP rounds?

Tony

Link Posted: 4/30/2021 11:10:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Pretension torque does, however, increase thread engagement due to the slight deformation. If the threads are only marginally tightened and the material is somewhat brittle, then only one or two threads might support the load instead of sharing the load evenly, leaving to a cascading thread failure. The pressure required to shear one thread in that design isn't very much if the pressure penetrates into the back of the breech.
View Quote

Realistically as long as the threads are not of some horrible tolerance or the steel too brittle when the pressure is applied the threads will deform and begin to distribute the load across them.

Link Posted: 4/30/2021 11:12:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Tony

View Quote

At least a handful of people. You'll also see counterfeit M855A1 and M80A1 rounds pop up. Counterfeit Mk211 "Raufoss" are also unfortunately common.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 11:16:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Im here to learn, can you explain how clamping force plays a part in this. Its been 15+ years since ive studied this.
View Quote

With any firearm, you have bolt thrust.  This is the peak force of the case pushing back on the bolt (think of the cartridge case as if it were a piston).  The following is the force for common rounds:

9mm - 4,000 lbf
5.56 - 7,000 lbf
50 BMG - 27,000 lbf

The clamping force is basically the force that opposes the bolt thrust so that you don't have a kaboom.  This is provided by the lugs/threads in your bolt/cap.  Shear stress = force/ area (of the shear surface).  When shear stress > Yield strength, things break.  While by rough eyeball, the area of the shear surface on the RN50 looks like it may be 2X that of the barrel extension on an AR, what Mr Wannabe Engineer forgets is the bolt thrust is nearly 4X as much.

Also Mr Wannabe Engineer is clueless as to the how mass plays an important role in a dynamic system.  Let's imagine you have the same nonesuch cap design for a 9mm rifle.  Putting aside factor of safety right now, that lightweight cap needs threads that withstand ~ 4,000 lbf so that it doesn't kaboom.  However if you add mass to the bolt/cap, the inertia of the mass resists the bolt thrust (Newton's 1st law).  If you add enough mass, you don't need any threads at all.  The bolt is so heavy that by the time that bolt thrust pushes it back far enough to expose the case, the pressure has dropped to a safe level so it doesn't rupture.  Thus this is how blowback guns work.  Although you would not want a blowback 50 BMG, the added mass of a large bolt is definitely better in the event of a KB than a tiny cap that essentially becomes a very good projectile.  With a proper design, you should have containment which all 50s have except these bare bones budget 50s.  Anybody who would equate the danger of shooting an overcharged round in a RN50 to a M2HB is an idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.  The bolt group on a M2 is massive as is the thickness of the receiver walls and backplate.  I would take standing behind my M2 or my Barretts any day of the week and 2x on Sunday in the event of a KB over these crap 50s which provide an easy path from the bolt/cap to your face.

ETA: Fixed formula which I had inverted
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 11:29:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

With any firearm, you have bolt thrust.  This is the peak force of the case pushing back on the bolt (think of the cartridge case as if it were a piston).  The following is the force for common rounds:

9mm - 4,000 lbf
5.56 - 7,000 lbf
50 BMG - 27,000 lbf

The clamping force is basically the force that opposes the bolt thrust so that you don't have a kaboom.  This is provided by the lugs/threads in your bolt/cap.  Shear stress = area (of the shear surface) /force.  When shear stress > Yield strength, things break.
View Quote

Clamping force with a bolt action will be insignificant as the lugs are not preloaded much when closed on a round. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean by clamping force.

Also I don't see how clamping force plays much in the role of a what is essentially a pressure vessel design with a cap (lug or threads) assuming proper headspace.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 11:31:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Clamping force with a bolt action will be insignificant as the lugs are not preloaded much when closed on a round. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean by clamping force.

Also I don't see how clamping force plays much in the role of a what is essentially a pressure vessel design with a cap (lug or threads) assuming proper headspace.
View Quote

I don't know how to state it any more simply than I already have
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 11:33:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're supposed to say "I'm an engineer not a communications major."
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 11:36:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Zastava Black Arrow is exactly what you are looking for.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 11:39:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 11:43:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You're supposed to say "I'm an engineer not a communications major."
View Quote

Yeah I are enginear too (mech) and usually I understand other speak speak fine. Granted its been a while since college and i dont deal with exact field.

Im just trying to understand how treating chamber as a bolted joint when figuring out shear strength of lugs or in this case threads applies.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 11:47:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

9mm - 4,000 lbf
5.56 - 7,000 lbf
50 BMG - 27,000 lbf

The clamping force is basically the force that opposes the bolt thrust so that you don't have a kaboom.  This is provided by the lugs/threads in your bolt/cap.  Shear stress = area (of the shear surface) /force.  When shear stress > Yield strength, things break.  While by rough eyeball, the area of the shear surface on the RN50 looks like it may be 2X that of the barrel extension on an AR, what Mr Wannabe Engineer forgets is the bolt thrust is nearly 4X as much.

Also Mr Wannabe Engineer is clueless as to the how mass plays an important role in a dynamic system.  Let's imagine you have the same nonesuch cap design for a 9mm rifle.  Putting aside factor of safety right now, that lightweight cap needs threads that withstand ~ 4,000 lbf so that it doesn't kaboom.  However if you add mass to the bolt/cap, the inertia of the mass resists the bolt thrust (Newton's 1st law).  If you add enough mass, you don't need any threads at all.  The bolt is so heavy that by the time that bolt thrust pushes it back far enough to expose the case, the pressure has dropped to a safe level so it doesn't rupture.  Thus this is how blowback guns work.  Although you would not want a blowback 50 BMG, the added mass of a large bolt is definitely better in the event of a KB than a tiny cap that essentially becomes a very good projectile.  With a proper design, you should have containment which all 50s have except these bare bones budget 50s.  Anybody who would equate the danger of shooting an overcharged round in a RN50 to a M2HB is an idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.  The bolt group on a M2 is massive as is the thickness of the receiver walls and backplate.  I would take standing behind my M2 or my Barretts any day of the week and 2x on Sunday in the event of a KB over these crap 50s which provide an easy path from the bolt/cap to your face.
View Quote

Should be: shear stress = force / area right?

Great explanation, thanks.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 11:47:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think you can. It was very clearly written.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 11:50:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Shooting ammo of unknown condition, especially in high power cartridges, is not very intelligent. Especially in gimmick weapons.

User is lucky to be alive......hopefully lesson learned....
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 11:54:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yeah I are enginear too (mech) and usually I understand other speak speak fine. Granted its been a while since college and i dont deal with exact field.

Im just trying to understand how treating chamber as a bolted joint when figuring out shear strength of lugs or in this case threads applies.
View Quote

Where in the world did you go to school?  It's not that hard man.  Clamping force = longitudinal force of a pressure vessel.  That force is provided by the threads in the cap.  Stress = force/area  The greater the area of the threads in a cap or barrel extension, the lower the stress.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 11:56:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Should be: shear stress = force / area right?

Great explanation, thanks.
View Quote

Doh, yes F/A, thanks.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 11:58:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

9mm - 4,000 lbf
5.56 - 7,000 lbf
50 BMG - 27,000 lbf

The clamping force is basically the force that opposes the bolt thrust so that you don't have a kaboom.  This is provided by the lugs/threads in your bolt/cap.  Shear stress = force/ area (of the shear surface).  When shear stress > Yield strength, things break.  While by rough eyeball, the area of the shear surface on the RN50 looks like it may be 2X that of the barrel extension on an AR, what Mr Wannabe Engineer forgets is the bolt thrust is nearly 4X as much.

ETA: Fixed formula which I had inverted
View Quote

just out of curiosity what would the bolt thrust be at 85,000psi
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 12:00:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Ill be wasting some time going though the first link I found looking, someone took the time to do an finite element analysis on a rifle action. Also found dan lijas comments on lug design interesting.

http://www.varmintal.net/abat85.htm
https://riflebarrels.com/a-look-at-bolt-lug-strength/
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 12:01:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not entirely true, as rocketman mentioned.

Threads aren't perfect. Tightening them to an appropriate torque figure forces a more complete engagement with all of the thread surfaces. Thus preventing one or two threads from taking the initial load and starting to fail, causing a cascading failure.

In a lug situation, the entire lug is bearing the load, even without 100% contact. Of course, the more surface contact the better.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 12:03:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

~42,000 lbf
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 12:04:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Where in the world did you go to school?  It's not that hard man.  Clamping force = longitudinal force of a pressure vessel.  That force is provided by the threads in the cap.  Stress = force/area  The greater the area of the threads in a cap or barrel extension, the lower the stress.
View Quote

I get all of that except for using the term clamping force in that manner.

Cal Poly pomona grad but then i guess thats why we were always a step behind teh slo guys in rankings
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 12:29:13 PM EDT
[#35]
How would a press fit joint be figured?

Steyr barrels are pressed into the receiver
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 12:37:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's a function of elasticity and amount of overlapped volume.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 12:43:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

So is an AK & HK but retained by a cross pin.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 1:20:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

~42,000 lbf
View Quote

goddamn.

between that pressure and the volume of gas that round makes it really is a miracle that dude is alive.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 1:29:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

You guys working on the assumption that the round was ONLY at 85kpsi are incorrect

All we know is the threads failed around that pressure

The round could have been anything above that.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 1:30:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I'm sure Barret is similar, in that they have a more conventional design which will catostrophically fail in a manner that does try to kill the operator.

View Quote

I remember 10? 15? (or more) years ago seeing pics of a barret opened up like a scissor jack. Want to say the bolt exited the receiver and crumpled the shooters jaw...but it has been a while.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 1:31:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Tony

View Quote

Who made these particular ones is a better question.  They may need some kinetic counseling.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 1:38:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Dupity dupity dupe.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 1:41:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

There are standard formulas using white supremacist math to determine holding forces with interference fit joints.  Not different really than spec'ing the strength required of a lug, bolt, or any other part.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 1:41:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Damn, my apologies!
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 1:41:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Compare the shear area, fit/engagement and effective pressure area in an ar-15 bolt and the failure modes and effects from a sheared lug in that design to those in this design. Incorrect.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hadn't seen that design before seeing this video.

Wow. Not sure you could pay me to shoot that, honestly.

As pointed out earlier, have you ever shot an AR-15?  
If you have, you have "shot that design".  

Compare the shear area, fit/engagement and effective pressure area in an ar-15 bolt and the failure modes and effects from a sheared lug in that design to those in this design. Incorrect.

Not the lugs.
The barrel extension is attached to the barrel how?  
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 1:43:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Yeah and we’ve all shot blowback 22s and break open shotguns too.

So a blowback 50BMG should be good to go!

Never mind AR locking lugs aren’t threads.  
View Quote

Barrel extension attached to barrel how?
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 1:44:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I remember 10? 15? (or more) years ago seeing pics of a barret opened up like a scissor jack. Want to say the bolt exited the receiver and crumpled the shooters jaw...but it has been a while.
View Quote

Yeah that was a hangfire using some Central American ammo IIRC.  Imagine what would have happened here if it was a hangfire and it went off while the cap was opened
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 1:59:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yeah. I'm stunned that he was firing old/unknown SLAP. Absolutely insane to do that and honestly it might as well be reloads. It may well have been reloads. I wonder if he put a lot of unknown rounds through that rifle over time? Dominican "yellow tip" comes to mind.

ETA:

You'd frag just about any firearm with the same kind of absurd overpressure.
View Quote

This is actually untrue. Most reputable manufacturers design their rifles to survive up to 2x overpressure without detonating, and most have design features to not kill the user if it dos kaboom with 3-4x the pressure. For example desert tech has a video of them shooting one of their SRSs in 338 Lapua mag, and the proof load they use is a complete case full of a fast pistol powder. Like filled to the brim, with a compressed load. Thats probably 2-3x the safe pressure for 338LM, Gabe even more. They shoot it and the rifle totally held together, the only symptom being they had to Hamer the bolt open with a 2x4 and the case was destroyed.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 2:18:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Who made these particular ones is a better question.  They may need some kinetic counseling.  
View Quote

Its possible that they were legit.  Slap ammo is old, most of It is from the 80s. Also a lot of it was stored in the hot, dry Mid East shitholes  where it was used. Corrosion and power degradation are pretty common in the legit rounds. Its also possible that the powder stabilizes decomposed and instead of slowing the burn rate detonated and accelerated it.
It could have been a questionable handled, but its surprisingly hard to that significantly overcharge a 50bmg case using standard powders
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 2:39:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Barrel extension attached to barrel how?
View Quote

With a hell of a lot more thread engagement, and an actual torque spec, with a hell of a lot less bolt thrust, and also with a big hunk of cast or forged aluminum preventing it from traveling toward your face.

There is no getting around how bad this design is.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top