BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 3:50:22 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If I could get one cheap enough...

What do you consider "cheap"?  What type of kilt would you be looking for and under what conditions would you wear it?  I know quite a few kilt makers that have done custom work for not much money.

Of course, it's not "JC Penny jeans" cheap.

Cheap?  Less than $50 or so.  But I'm a cheapass when it comes to clothes.

Got to thinking about it while looking at the Utilikilt site, might be nice for fishing tournaments.  My nuts are always sweating like a hog.
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 3:56:51 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
If I could get one cheap enough...

What do you consider "cheap"?  What type of kilt would you be looking for and under what conditions would you wear it?  I know quite a few kilt makers that have done custom work for not much money.

Of course, it's not "JC Penny jeans" cheap.

Cheap?  Less than $50 or so.  But I'm a cheapass when it comes to clothes.

Got to thinking about it while looking at the Utilikilt site, might be nice for fishing tournaments.  My nuts are always sweating like a hog.

I've seen kilts go on ebay for 50 bucks.  New and used.  Never bought one, though, since my tartan isn't all that common.
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 4:49:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, I would.  My mother's father's name was John Mackenzie, a descendant of the ancient Lord Macleod.

Here is our tartan:

Here is some artwork showing the raising of the "colours" by some of my ancestors:

The 73rd Highlanders were raised by John MacKenzie, Lord Macleod, as the first clan Regiment in 1777 in response to the outbreak of the American War of Independence. In 1786 the Regiment was renumbered as the 71st Highlanders and wore the MacKenzie tartan kilt. In 1787 war in India necessitated the raising of more Regiments for foreign service and the 74th Highlanders were formed in that year in the City of Glasgow. At the Cardwell reforms of 1881 the 71st and the 74th were linked as the 1st and 2nd Battalions of the Highland Light Infantry (as the 71st had been known since 1809). In 1923 the Regiment officially became known as the ’City of Glasgow Regiment’.

Link Posted: 9/12/2007 4:50:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Possibly if I had one or got it cheap
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 5:15:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I would wear a kilt every freakin day if I knew what my colors were.  I wear shorts every day as it is and commando is the common theme.  Christ if I found a kilt to wear the wife would turn me into more of a toy than I already am.  Where does one find the colors?

ETA   For the love of Pete........ Ever since she became a member I can't get anything done right!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 5:20:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I would wear a kilt every freakin day if I knew what my colors were.  I wear shorts every day as it is and commando is the common theme.  Christ if I found a kilt to wear the wife would turn me into more of a toy than I already am.  Where does one find the colors?

ETA   For the love of Pete........ Ever since she became a member I can't get anything done right!!!!!!!

What's your clan, if you have one.  If not, there are numerous other colors people may wear.  Many schools have their own colors.  Military branches have their own.  Fire, police Dept's, etc etc as well.  Heck, even most states have a tartan.
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 5:20:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I wear my Clans tartan kilt proudly in public whenever I get a chance.
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 5:26:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I have to be honest, i have 2 kilts. Niether one tradition. I got both of em from Utilikilts, they are great and the ladies like em too
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 5:27:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, I'm scottish, and only with the family colors/plad and tartan
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 5:27:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd rather wear baggy cargo shorts
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 5:31:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Depends on, if Jessica Alba was into that sort of thing.
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 5:33:09 PM EDT
[#12]
No, because I am not Scottish.  They also don't have any advantage over BDU shorts.
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 5:41:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes.  I've worn one many times.  And if you don't have a specific family tartan, you can always wear one of the more "generic" tartans, such as the Black Watch, if you prefer.

edited:  And be sure to go regimental.  

also, make sure you lace your brogues correctly.  That is, if you wear them.
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 5:44:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm not a Scot, and I'm not a woman so not only no, but HELL no.

And by "Scot" I mean someone from Scotland, not some goofy American with an identity crisis and a relative who might've perhaps once lived in Scotland.
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 5:47:07 PM EDT
[#15]
If it were the style, sure.  Around here, no, because I would look really weird.
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 5:52:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Since I am a Scot of course I've worn one,  what else would you wear when you get married,  I even went to Scotland to do the deed.
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 5:52:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Just for the heck of it, I'll post this:

From www.redvsblue.com
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 5:53:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Yeah since I am part Scottish.
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 6:26:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

That's the nice thing about www.utilikilt.com/ ya don't need to wear any fancy colors, just a nice looking Kilt that is suitable for day to day wear.

I'd like to research my family's history & see what tartan they had. Course since I've also been a SP and a fireman could wear those tartans as well.
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 7:23:32 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Yes, I would.  My mother's father's name was John Mackenzie, a descendant of the ancient Lord Macleod.

Here is our tartan:

Thats close to mine. Mine is the McKinley - or the old spelling MacKinlay:

Hey - anyone know when it says "MacKinlay Dress" does that mean it is a plaid for womens dresses - or it is a special dress pattern for either formal events or competition
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 7:32:27 PM EDT
[#21]
If I was of Scottish descent , sure. I am not, so it would just be an American in a dress.

I love bag pipes and such, But I couldn't pull it off.
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 7:47:52 PM EDT
[#22]
My Irish relatives were so far back you couldn't see it with binoculars, and my accent isn't Irish, but more South Georgia, so no, I don't think I could pass off a kilt.
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 7:51:43 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here is our tartan:

tartanstore.net/club_images/tartans/hedga_mws2246.jpg

Hey - anyone know when it says "MacKinlay Dress" does that mean it is a plaid for womens dresses - or it is a special dress pattern for either formal events or competition

There are different tartans.  Hunting, dress, ancient, etc.  It is a different variation of the tartan for different purposes.  Usually people where "dress".
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 7:53:29 PM EDT
[#24]
No
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 7:54:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Gay
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 8:04:00 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Gay

Kilts are NOT gay.
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 8:08:49 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Gay

Kilts are NOT gay.

Unless it's your heritage, yes it is.
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 9:18:12 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Gay

Kilts are NOT gay.

You obviously have NO idea how much female tail you can get in a kilt.

BTW, if anyone wants info on kilts, IM me.  I can pass on info about family tartans, cheap (like $45.00) kilts that are good quality, and any other information you want.
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 9:19:45 PM EDT
[#29]
For more reasons than one, no.
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 9:25:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 9:41:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Snowballs chance in hell
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 9:44:14 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm part Scots--Clan MacPherson; of COURSE I'd wear a kilt!!

Of course my great(x2) grandfather was a Kelly from Ireland, so I have two to choose from.
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 9:45:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Hells yes! I love rocking the kilt!
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 9:48:35 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
IMHO, the only males who can wear a kilt and still be considered masculine are the Scotsmen and Irishmen.  For the rest of us, kilt=dress.

Well since both my Great Gramps and Great Grams both came from County Limerick & the wife's family was Scottish I might qualify

Have a friend in Chicago born and raised in the town of Limerick. He married an American stew and emigrated. He still goes back to the auld sod a couple of times a year to go pub crawling with his mates! Ostensibly he is there to visit his mum.
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 9:53:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Fuck ya, I'd do it. Matter of fact, if I can get one before the 20th, I'll wear one to Swingset's shoot.
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 10:00:37 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm not tough enough to wear a kilt.  Otherwise I'd be all over it.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 10:03:36 PM EDT
[#37]
You mean the sissy skirt thing?  No thanks.

If we got had some sort of "Dies the Fire" thing happen and I lived up north, I'd wear a great plaid/great kilt/scottish plaid (whatever you want to call it) that was actually useful, but the skirt thing?  No way.  Hell, part of me thinks it it got popular after the early 1800's to signify how the brits (I roll up the english, limeys and scots as "brits") kept getting fucked, so they might as well make it easy for everyone.
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 10:03:41 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
What's the hive think about Kilts

snip

Wonder what kind of skid marks ya leave on the inside of a Kilt, or do ya just pull it up and leave em on the chair

I feel that they are perfect drunk-wear, while bare.

I never noticed any skid marks, because the shirt which I was wearing around my waist (through the neck hole) while hammered, wasn't mine. I left it on their floor when I left the next day. I still don't know what happened to my clothes, but I like to think that I was gang raped by hot milfs!

I was told a couple weeks later that the shirt I was "wearing" as a kilt belonged to a very uptight person who lived there, and it was his favorite shirt, from a place he used to work and he was very proud of having worked there... I wonder how many beer farts ended up in that thing?

Link Posted: 9/12/2007 10:04:01 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Gay

Kilts are NOT gay.

You obviously have NO idea how much female tail you can get in a kilt.

Link Posted: 9/12/2007 10:15:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Nope...
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 10:26:26 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Kilts Would You Wear One  

Only if my name were Duncan McCloud.
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 10:49:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Blackwater has a tartan! Excellent!

Link Posted: 9/12/2007 11:34:13 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Fuck ya, I'd do it. Matter of fact, if I can get one before the 20th, I'll wear one to Swingset's shoot.

If you're not already, you need to let your facial hair grow out and get a chopped up haircut like the ones seen in Braveheart. Then work on your accent...

That would be pretty funny.
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 4:15:03 AM EDT
[#44]
I have 5 that I wear frequently.  2 family tartans, 1 Black Watch that I made myself, 1 survival utilikilt, and 1 around the house casual one.  

To those that say they are not manly.  Almost every culture in history has had some form of male garment that was not bifurcated ie. pants.   The domestication of the horse typically is where historians say pants became normal attire for men.

I find that I am very comfortable in a kilt.  The only uncomfortable part is when others make a big deal out of it.  I typically ignore it and move on.  

Someone asked about a pistol that will fit in a sporan.  I can assure you that a G19 will fit in some sporans.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 4:30:41 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I have 5 that I wear frequently.  2 family tartans, 1 Black Watch that I made myself, 1 survival utilikilt, and 1 around the house casual one.  

To those that say they are not manly.  Almost every culture in history has had some form of male garment that was not bifurcated ie. pants.   The domestication of the horse typically is where historians say pants became normal attire for men.

I find that I am very comfortable in a kilt.  The only uncomfortable part is when others make a big deal out of it.  I typically ignore it and move on.  

Someone asked about a pistol that will fit in a sporan.  I can assure you that a G19 will fit in some sporans.  

Because I wear a kilt pretty often (I play in a bagpipe band), I actually took an old crossbreed, took off the clips, trimmed it, and attached it in a sporran, and carry my 1911.  It took a little adjustment to offset the weight, but it works well.
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 4:39:18 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Kilts Would You Wear One  

Only if my name were Duncan McCloud.

Funny.  This thread made me dig back through some family lineage.  I had completely forgot the fact that I had one Grandmother whose maiden name was Wallace.  

So, maybe I would wear one.

FREEDOM!!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 9/13/2007 5:29:12 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here is our tartan:

There are different tartans.  Hunting, dress, ancient, etc.  It is a different variation of the tartan for different purposes.  Usually people where "dress".

Yup...I just quickly picked one for our heathen brothers.  Would have taken too long to describe all of them.
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 5:31:13 AM EDT
[#48]
No.
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 5:31:39 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here is our tartan:

Yup...I just quickly picked one for our heathen brothers.  Would have taken too long to describe all of them.

I hate reading my quoted text and realizing I typed "where" for "wear".  Man.
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 6:49:36 AM EDT
[#50]
Yes I've worn  a kilt .

http://www.utilikilts.com/index.php?page_id=13#388

you got a problem wit dat !
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top