Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 5:50:34 PM EDT
[#1]
JFC, what have you idiots in the States done now? Why are you such panicky bitches?
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 5:51:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BuckeyeNation:

Are you really that stupid?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bugy:
Originally Posted By mrcatbert:
Originally Posted By AKengineer:
Doomers get to reap the result of giving up freedom for the illusion of safety. Let them eat surgical masks.

Sorry, FB, but the meat packing facilities were all considered essential and not shut down. They closed because employees actually got sick. 

Generally it’s a bad idea to have sick people slaughtering/processing/packing your food supply. We have rules against that - even if they just have the flu.

While I'm sure what you're saying is true, the next question is: who exactly are these employees? Are they Americans? Are they Mexican? Are they Chinese?

It is strange that such a large percentage of ALL the cases in North Dakota are Smithfield Employees. Is it a coincidence?

Why was the outbreak so concentrated in this one group of people.

Spoiler: My theory is that these are Chinese people working in the plant, and they aren't washing their hands. That's why they all got sick.

Are you really that uninformed?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23790806

https://www.theepochtimes.com/only-23-percent-of-mainland-chinese-wash-hands-after-using-toilet-survey_3229841.html

https://www.chineasy.com/10-things-can-get-away-china/ - View Item #7

This is a very well-documented fact about China. They don't wash their hands. It's a cultural thing.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 5:54:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Smithfield is in SD. I think your theory is a bit of a stretch.

They look like a pretty normal group of people working at a plant.

https://www.nationalhogfarmer.com/business/smithfield-foods-invest-45-million-south-dakota-operations
View Quote
Lots of Tongans , Nigerians , Somalians here , with some various central Americans thrown in
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 5:55:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By ACEB36TC:

We have a STRICT 90 day rule on frozen beef. Double sealed, vacuum packed and it's trash in 90 days. 
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Greenspan:
There is only a shortage in the sense that everyone has credit cards and freezers full of meat. There is only so much freezer space though. These idiots will be eating freezer burned steaks for years.

We have a STRICT 90 day rule on frozen beef. Double sealed, vacuum packed and it's trash in 90 days. 

Wut?  Really?
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 5:56:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 5:56:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Dirtydog:
All our meat is grown locally. We have a small mom & pop grocer that is outstanding. Just hope not too many find out about it.
View Quote

Are you near Raymond?
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 6:08:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By N1Rampage:
Publix distribution network disagrees along with my a few small grocery chains in central FL.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By N1Rampage:
Originally Posted By fike:
Originally Posted By zwitterr:

Meat packing plants aren't having issues because they were shut down. As far as I'm aware they were all categorized as essential so they kept operating like normal.

Combination of increased supply and supply disruption due to stay at home orders. People are getting paid to not work more than their usual income so they are consuming more than usual. Restuarant supply is having to reorient to grocery supply. Add to that people not taking any common sense precautions and getting sick in huge bunches at packing plants. Not that many of those people were washing their hands after shitting on them to begin with.

That hasn't happened.
Publix distribution network disagrees along with my a few small grocery chains in central FL.

They might be be able to get some ad hoc order changes, but nationally, companies like Sysco aren't reorienting to grocery supply.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 6:11:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
As for places like Wendy's and McDonalds, fat fucks and unhealthy fucks will be better off.

I find it hilarious and sad at the same time how so many (many here in GD) were so worried about restaurants closing down.  

Fast food starting to tank?  I find that COMPLETELY hilarious!

I'm sure the resident fatties will decry my post.

View Quote

It's all hilarious, isn't it? What an awesome human being.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 6:13:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Flu bros should be the only ones allowed to buy meat. Doomers should get a cock meat sandwich for causing all of this.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 6:13:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Our freezer is stocked. No care.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 6:20:38 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

Who is "We"?  We are on month 11 or our last beef, still excellent.  Key is not having a frost free freezer, they cause freezer burn.  Next half comes in June, hope to get half a pig by then also, if not I'll wait for my nieces 4h pig in September.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 6:23:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By ahnglw:

Alphonso has had many pounds of meat in him......https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/206146/85191ABA-6DBF-4422-8063-F793B187CD5C_jpe-1402695.JPG
View Quote

This is without a doubt the best post I’ve seen on the interwebz in ages. Had me laughing from the gut.

Well done good sir.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 6:45:59 PM EDT
[#13]

That hasn't happened.
View Quote

A local to us restaurant chain literally opened a grocery store.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 6:50:53 PM EDT
[#14]
My son manages meat departments for Kroger (Fred Meyer). OR and WA are working to reopen two big slaughter houses... should be in about a week.

Sorry, only have local data. But son brings home some nice meat...

I love telling him that he is a good meat manager...
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 7:25:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By fatcat4620:

A local to us restaurant chain literally opened a grocery store.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fatcat4620:

That hasn't happened.

A local to us restaurant chain literally opened a grocery store.

A local restaurant isn't restaurant supply.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 7:27:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Goodbye obesity and diabetes.  Well, there’s a chance.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 7:29:41 PM EDT
[#17]
This is likely going to be an issue for a while.

There are two issues at play.

The first is that a lot of meat processing plants were geared towards commercial sales. These get processed and packaged differently and are not allowed for commercial sale. The result is that these plants had to pull some machinery offline.

The bigger issue is COVID. Once you have a confirmed member of a shift test positive for COVID, you have to pull everyone off, find a way to test them, sanitize the plant, and toss out the product that was in process.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 7:30:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I had a baconator for lunch today.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/5/2020 7:33:05 PM EDT
[#19]

Are you really that uninformed?

https://www.theepochtimes.com/only-23-percent-of-mainland-chinese-wash-hands-after-using-toilet-survey_3229841.html

https://www.chineasy.com/10-things-can-get-away-china/ - View Item #7

This is a very well-documented fact about China. They don't wash their hands. It's a cultural thing.
View All Quotes
Doomers get to reap the result of giving up freedom for the illusion of safety. Let them eat surgical masks.

Sorry, FB, but the meat packing facilities were all considered essential and not shut down. They closed because employees actually got sick. 

Generally it’s a bad idea to have sick people slaughtering/processing/packing your food supply. We have rules against that - even if they just have the flu.

While I'm sure what you're saying is true, the next question is: who exactly are these employees? Are they Americans? Are they Mexican? Are they Chinese?

It is strange that such a large percentage of ALL the cases in North Dakota are Smithfield Employees. Is it a coincidence?

Spoiler: My theory is that these are Chinese people working in the plant, and they aren't washing their hands. That's why they all got sick.

Are you really that uninformed?

https://www.chineasy.com/10-things-can-get-away-china/ - View Item #7

This is a very well-documented fact about China. They don't wash their hands. It's a cultural thing.

Okay, but, like, this virus is extremely contagious, lives on surfaces for days, and doesnt present symptoms in 30%, of the infected.

Trying to pretend like this is just because they dont wash their hands is idiotic. Even before the virus, they wore masks and gloves. The outbreak was concentrated because the people are concentrated there.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 7:43:04 PM EDT
[#20]
We all had salad, Steak, baked sweet potatoes covered in honey butter, cinnamon and brown sugar yesterday from Logans.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 7:52:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By ahnglw:

Alphonso has had many pounds of meat in him......https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/206146/85191ABA-6DBF-4422-8063-F793B187CD5C_jpe-1402695.JPG
View Quote

I'm sorry....  Got me...  I laughed.....
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 8:22:26 PM EDT
[#22]
I am in the industry.
Some plants are shut down.
The others are practicing distancing as best they can so workers are spaced more. This slows the lines down and there is less meat processed.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 10:06:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By DeathMetalMedic:
This is likely going to be an issue for a while.

There are two issues at play.

The first is that a lot of meat processing plants were geared towards commercial sales. These get processed and packaged differently and are not allowed for commercial sale. The result is that these plants had to pull some machinery offline.

The bigger issue is COVID. Once you have a confirmed member of a shift test positive for COVID, you have to pull everyone off, find a way to test them, sanitize the plant, and toss out the product that was in process.
View Quote

Lolwut.

A confirmed case of one person of a 3k person shift does not result in pulling off the entire shift. And what machinery are they pulling offline that is intended for retail sales? If anything that machinery not running is a labor issue, not a sales issue.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 10:15:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Of all the possible supply chain issues, and we are staring at gazillions of them, I still don't think food will be a problem.  We make almost all of it here.  Heck, if I wanted to invest the time and effort, I could feed myself using just my few acres. This is a temporary shortage.  I predict we will be awash in beef, poultry and toilet paper before too long.  I also predict that when those trump bux run out, and prices reflect the new inflationary pressures, we won't be talking about shortages but rather high prices and inability for most people to afford the basics.  Enjoy the good times while they are still here, it's gonna be a real bitch come late summer into fall.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 10:20:54 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

You are wasting good meat or your freezer is crap.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 10:24:34 PM EDT
[#26]

I heard Chick-fil-a is out and they are never getting any ever again.....dang.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 10:26:52 PM EDT
[#27]
My local grocery store had ground beef on sale today.  35% off.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 10:31:15 PM EDT
[#28]
I think most of the people eating fast food like the chain drive throughs are paying with using credit cards as they have run out of money and never cooked anyway.

When the cards max and the burger joints close is when things will get dicey.

Link Posted: 5/6/2020 8:13:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Sucks to suck
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 8:17:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By pedaler:

You are wasting good meat or your freezer is crap.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By pedaler:

You are wasting good meat or your freezer is crap.

Probably has a self defrosting freezer.

The old non self defrosting are a PITA once a year but they keep food MUCH longer as they are not constantly being surface thawed, then refrozen.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 8:33:01 AM EDT
[#31]
We still have meat around here for now.  Central Florida.  What I find interesting is that Walmart is running out while Publix is stocked consistently.  Must be different supply chains.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 8:41:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By NorthPolar:
A friend of mine works in a packing plant connected to a major slaughterhouse in the midwest.  They've got nothing to pack because the house is shut down.  Then again, when a certain brand of meats employs entire shifts of Somali labor who live 15 in an apartment and practice Somali hygiene... I've heard some horror stories and no longer buy that brand of 'product.' 

Thankfully I can catch 10 trout a day up here, so I have an excuse to go fishing the moment I can get a hole in the ice. 
View Quote

and you aren't gonna let us know which brand it is ????
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 8:45:00 AM EDT
[#33]
I just had a bacon jalapeno chicken sandwich yesterday from Wendy's. They were not out of anything.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 8:45:38 AM EDT
[#34]
A small country meat processor my father uses for cows is booked up all through July.

Small, decentralized meat processors are gonna expand to meet demand I think.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 8:47:15 AM EDT
[#35]
I hope my grocery store does not read the meat panic attempts on arfcom cause they’ve got some great sales and packed shelves right now!
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 8:54:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By akgunwinner:

Smithfield is owned by WH Group of China. Could have been a visit by a sick exec Chi-com agent. 
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By akgunwinner:
Originally Posted By Rapidfire_85:

Smithfield is in SD. I think your theory is a bit of a stretch. 

They look like a pretty normal group of people working at a plant. 

https://www.nationalhogfarmer.com/business/smithfield-foods-invest-45-million-south-dakota-operations

Smithfield is owned by WH Group of China. Could have been a visit by a sick exec Chi-com agent. 

Link Posted: 5/6/2020 9:04:41 AM EDT
[#37]
there's a shortage because meat is on sale...

thanks op!  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 9:07:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I heard Chick-fil-a is out and they are never getting any ever again.....dang.
View Quote
lol?
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 9:10:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Smithfield is owned by WH Group of China. Could have been a visit by a sick exec.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Smithfield is in SD. I think your theory is a bit of a stretch.

They look like a pretty normal group of people working at a plant.

Smithfield is owned by WH Group of China. Could have been a visit by a sick exec.

There have been over 100 USDA meat inspectors test positive.   So you have sick inspectors going from plant to plant spreading the plague.
Workers stand right next to each other in a cold moist environment which the virus loves.   A lot of these workers also leave together in 8 to an apartment.
It's a wonder that every plant has not had an outbreak.

8nBAIT
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 9:10:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Doomers get to reap the result of giving up freedom for the illusion of safety. Let them eat surgical masks.
View Quote

Oh, look, more people who allow doomers to life rent free in their heads.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 9:14:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Greenspan:
These idiots will be eating freezer burned steaks for years.
View Quote

BS.  I bet 87% of hoarded food eventually ends up in a landfill 3 years from now when all the Hoardy McNeckbearders clean out their pantry and freezer.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 9:17:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By MaChu:
A small country meat processor my father uses for cows is booked up all through July.

Small, decentralized meat processors are gonna expand to meet demand I think.
View Quote

Small processor can meet small demand that's it. Last week in the us 170 million poultry 2 million hogs and half a million cows were processed.

Local KFC is running out of chicken. Why? The daily sales have doubled and there internal supply chain doesn't have enough trucks.

And for the use meat in 90 days guy. I had a ten year old frozen chicken out of my chest freezer the other day. It was just fine.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 9:20:43 AM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes

yes, it's a total coincidence that people that work in close proximity to each other all got sick

Link Posted: 5/6/2020 9:22:34 AM EDT
[#44]

People are getting paid to not work more than their usual income so they are consuming more than usual. 
View Quote

I assure you demand has not increased,
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 9:27:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By mooreshawnm:

I assure you demand has not increased,
View Quote

Localized panic purchasing is probably at the root of most of the anecdotal grocery store evidence of shortages.

Link Posted: 5/6/2020 9:30:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Two things:

I lived in the Springdale, AR area for a year and my FIL lived there his adult life.  This is Tyson's home and main operation (although they have processing plants other places as well).  The overwhelming majority of workers are Mexican and they tend to live in groups.  As such, if one gets coronavirus, the chances are high that everyone in the household (often 10 or more in a single household) will get it.  As such, the numbers of COVID-19 amongst the meat packing workers is going to be substantially higher.

WalMart sells a LOT of consumer meat.  Years ago, the butchers in each store threatened to unionize.  WalMart sent them home, and went to central processing.  When you put all your eggs in one basket with centralization, if there are problems, it will be widespread.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 9:31:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

We have a STRICT 90 day rule on frozen beef. Double sealed, vacuum packed and it's trash in 90 days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is only a shortage in the sense that everyone has credit cards and freezers full of meat. There is only so much freezer space though. These idiots will be eating freezer burned steaks for years.

We have a STRICT 90 day rule on frozen beef. Double sealed, vacuum packed and it's trash in 90 days.

Odd.  I just ate some 2017 venison that was perfect.  Damn that was a good deer.  Fatty thing that just makes for a great meal.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 9:32:30 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By nightstalker:
Goodbye obesity and diabetes.  Well, there’s a chance.
View Quote

Actually, I'd wager the opposite if there's any effect at all.  People will just switch over to less healthy alternatives.  Sure, the fast food will have a positive impact, but the grocery stores not having meat will mean people will look for other foods.  The smart ones will supplement their diet with healthy protein rich foods.  The welfare crowd, on average, will probably be buying up garbage foods...  well more than they usually do.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 9:33:52 AM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes

You're right.  We shut them down every year when some employees get sick.  No big deal and not the fault of the overhyped virus.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 9:40:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By tbonifie:
Just bought a half cow yesterday.

Another half reserved for Mid-July.

You can't take the beef from me!!!!
View Quote

Same here. We buy a half a cow twice a year.  Just picked it up from my beef/game processor yesterday.  Good news is his business is booming through all this, which is great to see for him and his family.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top