[#2]
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 8:12:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I love union threads.
View Quote
Same here.

Union members don't realize they are supporting communism.... such a fun reveal. Beats the hell out of gender reveal parties.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 9:24:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I recall watching Charles Payne on Fox Business suggesting that GM has a lot of inventory for this time of year and could last for quite a while. Just sayin.
View Quote
It's not quite that simple.

You have to have vehicles that people want to buy in stock, having 58 days of stock doesn't mean that you can hold out for 57 days. You have to take every trim level into account, and while they may have enough vehicles total to last that long, if someone goes to the dealership looking for a specific model and trim, and they're out of those, that person may go to a competitor to get the trim level that they desire.

Some vehicles sell out more quickly than others, and on top of all that, the Teamsters union is refusing to move any vehicles until the strike is over. GM is going to be in a bind very soon if this isn't resolved.

GM will also be paying lots of overtime to make up for the lost production.

Meanwhile, Ford and FCA are cranking out all they can get in case of a strike, if there isn't one, they'll have a surplus of vehicles.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 9:25:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Same here.

Union members don't realize they are supporting communism.... such a fun reveal. Beats the hell out of gender reveal parties.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love union threads.
Same here.

I wish that were true, but it seems more they just don't care as long as they get theirs.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 9:28:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I wish that were true, but it seems more they just don't care as long as they get theirs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love union threads.
Same here.

That's not a union phenomenon, people are selfish in general.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 9:38:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You have to have vehicles that people want to buy in stock, having 58 days of stock doesn't mean that you can hold out for 57 days. You have to take every trim level into account, and while they may have enough vehicles total to last that long, if someone goes to the dealership looking for a specific model and trim, and they're out of those, that person may go to a competitor to get the trim level that they desire.

Some vehicles sell out more quickly than others, and on top of all that, the Teamsters union is refusing to move any vehicles until the strike is over. GM is going to be in a bind very soon if this isn't resolved.

Meanwhile, Ford and FCA are cranking out all they can get in case of a strike, if there isn't one, they'll have a surplus of vehicles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I recall watching Charles Payne on Fox Business suggesting that GM has a lot of inventory for this time of year and could last for quite a while. Just sayin.

If the Teamsters won't move cars, which their contract requires, GM should cut their worthless asses out and find replacements.

It's time to stand up to these communist economic terrorists.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 9:53:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Unions  
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 9:54:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If the Teamsters won't move cars, which their contract requires, GM should cut their worthless asses out and find replacements.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree, but in the short term there's not much to be done.

The vast majority of vehicles are moved by rail, moving them all by truck would increase the cost by quite a lot.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 10:06:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The vast majority of vehicles are moved by rail, moving them all by truck would increase the cost by quite a lot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Teamsters are run by a guy named Jim Hoffa.

Seems like there's a pretty effective short term solution that was tested on another fella named Hoffa.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 10:11:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Seems like there's a pretty effective short term solution that was tested on another fella named Hoffa.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Allegedly".

Link Posted: 9/22/2019 10:13:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
"Allegedly".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Allegedly".

He was just relocated to protect him from violent union reprisals....
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 7:42:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 8:24:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 8:34:42 AM EDT
[#15]
OP seems really emotional and angry. Must be a car salesman
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 8:50:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 8:54:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And other unions refuse to cross a picket line, did the plumbers, welders, electricians, etc, may stop showing up for work at any moment.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 9:06:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

they wear red, like communists...
View Quote
So do the Kansas City Chiefs! I saw them wearing red on TV yesterday!
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 10:16:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/23/2019 11:11:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Don't forget those commie Red Sox.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 11:35:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
What color are the Republicans associated with in regards to political maps?  (no not white )
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 9:25:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Our economy is broken. The UAW is showing us how to fix it.
- New York Daily News
View Quote
GM strike is the right idea in the wrong place
- Automotive News
View Quote
UAW has the upper hand in strike against GM
- Northwest Florida Daily News
View Quote
The United Auto Workers' last stand
- Washington Examiner
View Quote
The UAW's demands would kill GM
- New York Post
View Quote
The autoworkers strike is bigger than GM
- New York Times
View Quote
You show'em who's boss Jimmy
- Aunt EM
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 2:18:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
And other unions refuse to cross a picket line, did the plumbers, welders, electricians, etc, may stop showing up for work at any moment.

Kharn
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn
Commies are gonna commie.  It's just what they do...
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 2:22:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

they wear redBECAUSE THEY AREcommunists...
View Quote
Fixed it for you
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 2:30:24 PM EDT
[#25]
lots of layoffs at the American Axle plant in 3 rivers Mi.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 2:34:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

That's not a union phenomenon, people are selfish in general.
View Quote
And precisely why communism doesn’t work.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 2:41:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Story w/video

SPRING HILL, TN (WSMV) -
A woman made a wrong turn on the highway and ended up in a situation she didn't expect.
She claims picketers in front of the Spring Hill General Motors plant blocked her car and that wasn't all.
Heather Langley told News4 she was getting off the interstate to visit with some friends before a business meeting in Nashville.
She took the wrong exit on Friday and ended up in the middle of the UAW strike. Langley was coming from Birmingham, AL.
Cell phone video captured a man walking in front of Langley's car. She said all she wanted to do was turn around and leave the Spring Hill GM plant.
"He wanted me to get out of the car and talk with him and I wouldn't do it. So I turned the camera off and called 911," Langley said.
During that 911 call, Langley said someone hit the bottom of her windshield causing it to crack.
Her daughter with cerebral palsy was in the back seat. She started screaming.
"Another man, which I did identify, hit my window with a strike sign and busted it sending glass in the car," Langley said.
She now has hundreds of dollars in damage to her car.
An incident report from the Maury County Sheriff's Office said a deputy was at the plant. It said he saw pieces of wood fly in the air and heard the crowd saying the car hit someone picketing.
"I did nothing to provoke them except for to refuse to get out of my car and speak to them," Langley said.
Langley said she still has injuries from that day.
"I have scratches on my face from it and then I have it in my neck and then I have glass in my lip and then I have this in my arm from the glass," Langley said.
The sheriff's office report also said the deputy reviewed his dash camera footage and it showed the man hit Langley's car with a wooden sign. He was later arrested for vandalism and assault.
A judge ordered strikers to not block the entrance to the GM plant, stop cars, or engage in rowdy behavior.

Link Posted: 9/25/2019 2:45:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Story w/video

SPRING HILL, TN (WSMV) -
A woman made a wrong turn on the highway and ended up in a situation she didn't expect.
She claims picketers in front of the Spring Hill General Motors plant blocked her car and that wasn't all.
Heather Langley told News4 she was getting off the interstate to visit with some friends before a business meeting in Nashville.
She took the wrong exit on Friday and ended up in the middle of the UAW strike. Langley was coming from Birmingham, AL.
Cell phone video captured a man walking in front of Langley's car. She said all she wanted to do was turn around and leave the Spring Hill GM plant.
"He wanted me to get out of the car and talk with him and I wouldn't do it. So I turned the camera off and called 911," Langley said.
During that 911 call, Langley said someone hit the bottom of her windshield causing it to crack.
"Another man, which I did identify, hit my window with a strike sign and busted it sending glass in the car," Langley said.
An incident report from the Maury County Sheriff's Office said a deputy was at the plant. It said he saw pieces of wood fly in the air and heard the crowd saying the car hit someone picketing.
"I did nothing to provoke them except for to refuse to get out of my car and speak to them," Langley said.
"I have scratches on my face from it and then I have it in my neck and then I have glass in my lip and then I have this in my arm from the glass," Langley said.
The sheriff's office report also said the deputy reviewed his dash camera footage and it showed the man hit Langley's car with a wooden sign. He was later arrested for vandalism and assault.
A judge ordered strikers to not block the entrance to the GM plant, stop cars, or engage in rowdy behavior.

https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/wsmv.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/3/50/35039478-de82-11e9-b8ae-a374e7c2ffdb/5d8998d2c53ba.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C675

https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/wsmv.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/3/21/321efedc-de82-11e9-a370-9b729d75092a/5d8998cde8bc4.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C675

https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/wsmv.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/3/3d/33d1cebc-de82-11e9-8a05-c71a17860c07/5d8998d0c3fe5.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C675

https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/wsmv.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/3/40/340fa638-de82-11e9-9ed4-c377713b62e3/5d8998d132c90.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C675
View Quote
The union ‘tards on FB are calling her a liar, even though they clearly weren’t there.

Objectively, it could be true, or maybe or not, but I’d not be surprised if it were.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 3:05:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The union ‘tards on FB are calling her a liar, even though they clearly weren’t there.

Objectively, it could be true, or maybe or not, but I’d not be surprised if it were.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Story w/video

SPRING HILL, TN (WSMV) -

https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/wsmv.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/3/50/35039478-de82-11e9-b8ae-a374e7c2ffdb/5d8998d2c53ba.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C675

https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/wsmv.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/3/21/321efedc-de82-11e9-a370-9b729d75092a/5d8998cde8bc4.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C675

https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/wsmv.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/3/3d/33d1cebc-de82-11e9-8a05-c71a17860c07/5d8998d0c3fe5.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C675

https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/wsmv.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/3/40/340fa638-de82-11e9-9ed4-c377713b62e3/5d8998d132c90.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C675

I don't think the deputies dashcam is colluding with management.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 3:28:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Nobody in that picture looks hungry yet, don't start negotiations until they lose some weight.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 3:28:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Story w/video

SPRING HILL, TN (WSMV) -

Deputy’s dashcam?

It’s just a woman with a cell phone, and while it does show the guy walking out in front of her, it doesn’t show anything like vandalism.

Still, it’s clear that he was trying to intimidate her,
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 3:33:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Deputy’s dashcam?

It’s just a woman with a cell phone, and while it does show the guy walking out in front of her, it doesn’t show anything like vandalism.

View Quote
Didn't quite make it to the last two lines quoted, huh?
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 3:35:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Deputy’s dashcam?

I just watched the video.

ETA: seems pretty clear then, like I said, I’m not at all surprised.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 3:38:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
LOL.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 4:12:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Deputy’s dashcam?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Story w/video

SPRING HILL, TN (WSMV) -

Deputy’s dashcam?

From the article:

"The sheriff's office report also said the deputy reviewed his dash camera footage and it showed the man hit Langley's car with a wooden sign. He was later arrested for vandalism and assault."
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 5:14:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
From the article:

"The sheriff's office report also said the deputy reviewed his dash camera footage and it showed the man hit Langley's car with a wooden sign. He was later arrested for vandalism and assault."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Story w/video

SPRING HILL, TN (WSMV) -

Deputy’s dashcam?

From the article:

Yeah, I missed that, I just watched the video. They should be recording every one of these idiots.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 5:16:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
If GM can just hold it together for 7 - 10 weeks, UAW will accept whatever they offer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I read today that Ford has tentative agreements on 11 of 20 major issues, FCA is also reporting that they’re making good progress, but didn’t give specifics.
Keep reading.

Both of those deals are dependent upon the GM contract being approved. They are patterned on the GM contract, so until the GM contract gets the nod, Ford and FCA are in limbo.
It's probably a combination of posturing and practicality. There are a lot of independent issues that ban be hammered out while still waiting on GM. Skilled trades rationalization, plant utilization, product allocation, Alternative Work Schedules, local specific issues, and a bunch of other stuff can still be agreed to in spirit while waiting on the wages, medical, and non-legacy employee issues.

The union only really has one strike card and they played it. They're going to stay busy, but they're going to maintain pressure on GM to see who blinks first.
If GM can just hold it together for 7 - 10 weeks, UAW will accept whatever they offer.
Do you  know much money Gm is probably losing per day? Especially after the first week?
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 5:17:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Do you  know much money Gm is probably losing per day? Especially after the first week?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I read today that Ford has tentative agreements on 11 of 20 major issues, FCA is also reporting that they’re making good progress, but didn’t give specifics.
Keep reading.

Both of those deals are dependent upon the GM contract being approved. They are patterned on the GM contract, so until the GM contract gets the nod, Ford and FCA are in limbo.
It's probably a combination of posturing and practicality. There are a lot of independent issues that ban be hammered out while still waiting on GM. Skilled trades rationalization, plant utilization, product allocation, Alternative Work Schedules, local specific issues, and a bunch of other stuff can still be agreed to in spirit while waiting on the wages, medical, and non-legacy employee issues.

The union only really has one strike card and they played it. They're going to stay busy, but they're going to maintain pressure on GM to see who blinks first.
Actually losing? No idea, but they’re missing out on $40-$50 million in profits every day that they don’t run.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 5:19:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Keep reading.

If they can break free of the union they'll make it all back ten fold.

Think long term. The union is a cancer eating away at the company. Time is like radiation and chemotherapy. The question is the same as always... can you kill the cancer without killing the patient.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 5:22:46 PM EDT
[#40]

What a fu*king tool

Link Posted: 9/25/2019 5:24:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Think long term. The union is a cancer eating away at the company. Time is like radiation and chemotherapy. The question is the same as always... can you kill the cancer without killing the patient.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Keep reading.

Yeah I don't know about all that.

They'd most likely move more plants  if not all of them out of the country though.

FGM
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 5:51:45 PM EDT
[#42]
If you don't want to work or don't like the job, quit. I'll just buy a Toyota Tundra instead. At least I know the people at the Toyota plant in Texas aren't the ones that were protected from being fired despite work quality, and 10% of the money I pay for the truck doesn't go into some fund to support Democratic candidates, socialism, and mob bosses.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 6:14:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
If you don't want to work or don't like the job, quit. I'll just buy a Toyota Tundra instead. At least I know the people at the Toyota plant in Texas aren't the ones that were protected from being fired despite work quality, and 10% of the money I pay for the truck doesn't go into some fund to support Democratic candidates, socialism, and mob bosses.
View Quote
10% of the purchase price? No.

A percentage of dues do, but not the sale.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 6:22:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Don't forget those commie Red Sox.
View Quote
And the commie red wings up in Detroit.  Oh, the irony.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 6:24:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I would argue that they were a necessary evil, but now they only serve to line the pockets of union bosses and leaders, and support the Democratic Party.

View Quote
The idea that every legit health and safety issue in every workplace has been hashed out and is enforced properly by regulators is utter bullshit. Sorry.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 6:26:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

10%? No.
View Quote
10% or 1%, I don't care. I don't want a dime of the money I spend going to them.

Correct me, please. What percentage of the dollar spent on a UAW produced vehicle goes towards UAW related dues, benefits, or salary disparity vs non-union employees?
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 6:32:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
10% or 1%, I don't care. I don't want a dime of the money I spend going to them.

Correct me, please. What percentage of the dollar spent on a UAW produced vehicle goes towards UAW related dues, benefits, or salary disparity vs non-union employees?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

10%? No.

None to the best if my knowledge.

Dues are taken from employees paychecks, not from the manufacturer.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 7:21:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right, but a significant percentage of the purchase price goes to pay for those UAW members healthcare and retirement, and even more goes to pay the overpriced UAW labor (which in turn contributes to UAW through their dues).

All things considered, he grossly underestimated the percent of each UAW built vehicle that contributes to the UAW and their membership.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 7:29:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

10%? No.

10 - 15% of a new vehicle's cost goes to labor (read: "employees paychecks" aka. where union dues come from.

In 2012, "on top of any discount, each GM car or truck made this year will carry about $1,900 in pension and retiree health care costs" (https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a9590/pension-costs-drive-gms-discount-prices/). By 2018, "health care costs of $1,525 built into every vehicle made. Add another $675 per car for pension costs." (https://www.drivingthenation.com/general-motors-a-legacy-of-problems/)

Average price of a GM vehicle was $35,974 last year. (Source)

15% of $35,974 = $5,396.10 in UAW labor cost plus $2,200 in pension and healthcare costs.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 7:31:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
You're right, but a significant percentage of the purchase price goes to pay for those UAW members healthcare and retirement, and even more goes to pay the overpriced UAW labor (which in turn contributes to UAW through their dues).

All things considered, he grossly underestimated the percent of each UAW built vehicle that contributes to the UAW and their membership.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not at all, even if you choose to use that in your math, you’re way over.

That $55 an hour, or whatever they call it is an extremely misleading number. The old guys may be averaging that, but they old guys aren’t the majority any longer. Newer employees make far less on the hour, and their benefits are not nearly as good.

Union dues also make up 2 1/2 hours of pay per month, when you consider that each individual builds or contributes to thousands of vehicles per month, that small amount is inconsequential.

Even indirectly, very little money from a vehicle purchase will ever make it to the UAW.
Page / 16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top