Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 16
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 3:36:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you seriously suggesting that this is the only instance you have heard of involving union bosses being involved in nefarious and illegal dealings?

How many examples would you like?

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/criminal-justice/ct-teamsters-boss-guilty-extort-20190730-eaxqre3b2vaufl36abcfypxgky-story.html?outputType=amp

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2019/08/23/former-union-boss-charged-massive-fraud-embezzlement-indictment/

https://amp.freep.com/amp/1005763001

https://www.unionfacts.com/article/crime-and-corruption/union-leader-fraud/

Google has plenty more examples to look at, if these aren't enough for you.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I guess if one fuckhead does it everyone is guilty? Seriously, I thought we believed everyone is an individual on arfcom.
Are you seriously suggesting that this is the only instance you have heard of involving union bosses being involved in nefarious and illegal dealings?

How many examples would you like?

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/criminal-justice/ct-teamsters-boss-guilty-extort-20190730-eaxqre3b2vaufl36abcfypxgky-story.html?outputType=amp

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2019/08/23/former-union-boss-charged-massive-fraud-embezzlement-indictment/

https://amp.freep.com/amp/1005763001

https://www.unionfacts.com/article/crime-and-corruption/union-leader-fraud/

Google has plenty more examples to look at, if these aren't enough for you.

So you support Google, the anti-gun, communist supporting company trying to legislate away our right to keep and bear arms while you complain about the evils if unions.

Seriously?
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 3:38:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Even if GM did hire non-union replacements, what would they do with them? They could begin training some of the non-skilled workers but what about actually running and maintaining the plant, machines and equipment?  Do you think that management knows how to do all of those jobs? If GM is still hiring "contract" supervisors off the street, they won't get the plant running.
View Quote
Here's what would happen. Shitty trucks, that absolutely no one would buy because of non skilled workers. Chevy would go under. That's what would happen. same thing with Ford, and Chrysler. Honda, and Toyota in return would pay their workers shit, because no competition.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 3:40:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Maybe because your unions set the standard? Have you thought about that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is corruption and greed on both sides.

I am in a union but I am not a very pro union guy.  Not even moderately pro union. In fact not pro union at all. The company ussually gets the union they deserve.

But in the airline case there is a long history of air line management pressuring unsafe and illegal decisions with job consequences due to bean counting and the FAA enforcement on pilots for following FAA rules.

So pilots are stuck in the middle. Fortunately I work for a company that does not pressure their pilots and will not second guess my safety decisions for the most part.
Yes I have and they play a part.

They also lie to us and use propoganda just as much as the company does.

I dont like being lied to and I dont like being told who to vote for.

They are a neccessary evil, is how I look at it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 3:41:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What makes firing them all any different than when the air traffic controllers were fired?  If the laws have changed, how about an EO.
View Quote
The PATCO strike was illegal, against federal law, and the idiots who led that union thought they could win a showdown with Reagan.
It's not illegal for a trade union to strike.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 3:41:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Look Unions set the standards. Period. DO you think Toyota, Honda, etc, would pay as high as they do here in America do keep jobs in America if the UAW didn't fight for as high as standards as they do for us? Holy shit they have record breaking profits, and they still want to take it out of us, the PEOPLE WHO MAKE THE VEHICLE, AND GIVE THEM THEIR PROFIT, out of us. You think we're just going to be like "Okay pay us like we're in a third world country, while you make record profits"? Are you guys fucking high?
View Quote
I've worked a lot of jobs. As part of a skilled work force, people know what they are worth, and we have to pay market rates to get people to sign on. Otherwise they go somewhere else and we have the option of hiring the dumb asses for a little cheaper. People work hard, do a good job, and have a good attitude.

The only places I worked where people had your toxic attitude were large companies with low skill work forces that were full of people who have no idea how a company works, but feel like they are owed something because the company is making a profit. I was barely out of my teens, going through school and working an OK job that paid above minimum wage (which was $4.25 at the time) with no skills. I worked alongside older adults who had fizzled out with no skills working at what was for them their best paying option. Yet it wasn't enough, because they saw the CEO driving a Mercedes. Surely he was hoarding all the money, right? Why does he get a huge salary and we only get paid $10/hr to plug electrical connectors together?

Whine whine bitch bitch constantly. Nobody had the drive to get a better job. In fact when I put in my notice because I had landed my first software dev job, I had people actually discourage me, and tell me I was lying about how much I was going to make there (oh, they were all curious what my pay was going to be, so they asked).

I can only imagine how much more entitled the mob would have felt with a union strong arming the company.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 3:42:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If I walk out as the worker who knows this equipment and makes you your outrageous profits, are you going to be able to make a profit with someone who hasn't a clue make you the same profit? btw this isn't roofing Cleetus. To where you can get some 3rd world immigrant to make the same product for you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So are you saying that you are against companies making a profit, or that you feel entitled to your fair share of their profits?
If I walk out as the worker who knows this equipment and makes you your outrageous profits, are you going to be able to make a profit with someone who hasn't a clue make you the same profit? btw this isn't roofing Cleetus. To where you can get some 3rd world immigrant to make the same product for you.
I couldn't help but notice that you conveniently avoided the question...

So, let me ask again, in a more direct manner.

Are you against companies making a profit?

Do you feel entitled to your fair share of the company's profits?

And remember, this is for posterity, so please be honest.

By the way, do you know who else is against companies making a profit, and feels entitled to their fair share of what profits a company does make?

Communists.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 3:42:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Dues money  is not. It is a crime to do so and it gets audited.

It is a myth. On the other hand plenty of fools voluntarily give money to the PACs so they have plenty.

Maybe you coukd give soecific examples of dues money being dpent to benefit politicians. I know of none.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You guys are idiots.

This is a headline for "eff unions"

Same Union has 850 million in strike funds, the interest of which will cover these members insurance. The UAW will get paid back for whatever they spend on strikes. It's a no win situation for GM.

But hey, it sounds like a zinger right!
Every dollar they spend on strike pay ($12.5M per week) and COBRA (likely more than strike pay) is a dollar they can't give the Democrats.
Different money

Fed law prohibits dues and other union funds from being donated to political causes. Tgat is why unions have PACS and that money can not come from dues and can not be mingked with dues money, it needs to be strictky donated voluntarily to the Political Action fund
Wow - some day you should look up the difference between theory and practice.

Even if dues money doesn’t directly flow into a Democrats campaign coffer, it is completely delusional to think at least some of those dollars aren’t spent for the benefit of Dem politicians...

It is a myth. On the other hand plenty of fools voluntarily give money to the PACs so they have plenty.

Maybe you coukd give soecific examples of dues money being dpent to benefit politicians. I know of none.
https://time.com/5323537/supreme-court-janus-unions-fundraising/

Says so right in the article:
“While unions are prohibited from using their treasury to donate directly to candidates’ coffers, they can use it for independent expenditures and contributions to outside groups”

And remember, the Unions (with a rich history of corruption) get to do that accounting (audits are perfunctory, at best).
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 3:45:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is corruption and greed on both sides.

I am in a union but I am not a very pro union guy.  Not even moderately pro union. In fact not pro union at all. The company ussually gets the union they deserve.

But in the airline case there is a long history of air line management pressuring unsafe and illegal decisions with job consequences due to bean counting and the FAA enforcement on pilots for following FAA rules.

So pilots are stuck in the middle. Fortunately I work for a company that does not pressure their pilots and will not second guess my safety decisions for the most part.
Careful, there... In all your rabid excitement, you're starting to snap at your allies, too!

Link Posted: 9/18/2019 3:46:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I've worked a lot of jobs. As part of a skilled work force, people know what they are worth, and we have to pay market rates to get people to sign on. Otherwise they go somewhere else and we have the option of hiring the dumb asses for a little cheaper. People work hard, do a good job, and have a good attitude.

The only places I worked where people had your toxic attitude were large companies with low skill work forces that were full of people who have no idea how a company works, but feel like they are owed something because the company is making a profit. I was barely out of my teens, going through school and working an OK job that paid above minimum wage (which was $4.25 at the time) with no skills. I worked alongside older adults who had fizzled out with no skills working at what was for them their best paying option. Yet it wasn't enough, because they saw the CEO driving a Mercedes. Surely he was hoarding all the money, right? Why does he get a huge salary and we only get paid $10/hr to plug electrical connectors together?

Whine whine bitch bitch constantly. Nobody had the drive to get a better job. In fact when I put in my notice because I had landed my first software dev job, I had people actually discourage me, and tell me I was lying about how much I was going to make there (oh, they were all curious what my pay was going to be, so they asked).

I can only imagine how much more entitled the mob would have felt with a union strong arming the company.
View Quote
Alright I like where you said "The only places I worked where people had your toxic attitude were large companies with low skill work forces." I've worked at Honda a non union company with lower expectations, and then on to a union company who held a higher standard then them. I like that. Talking out of your ass where you haven't a clue.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 3:47:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

So you support Google, the anti-gun, communist supporting company trying to legislate away our right to keep and bear arms while you complain about the evils if unions.

Seriously?
View Quote
I use Bing.

Link Posted: 9/18/2019 3:48:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Edited ~ medicmandan
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 3:49:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I use Bing.

View Quote
I use duckduckgo
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 3:50:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yes I have and they play a part.

They also lie to us and use propoganda just as much as the company does.

I dont like being lied to and I dont like being told who to vote for.

They are a neccessary evil, is how I look at it.
View Quote
I would argue that they were a necessary evil, but now they only serve to line the pockets of union bosses and leaders, and support the Democratic Party.

Link Posted: 9/18/2019 3:50:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I use duckduckgo
View Quote
same.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 3:52:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I would argue that they were a necessary evil, but now they only serve to line the pockets of union bosses and leaders, and support the Democratic Party.

View Quote
I would absolutely agree with you if the republicans weren't so rabbidly against unions. I absolutely believe unions set the standard for way of life. You get rid of unions, I believe we go back to the 1930's, china, etc. People have no problem taking advantage of the person who makes things happen. Look at this thread for example. They look at me as just a profit, and fuck my way of life. Just like a communist imo.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 3:53:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

“While unions are prohibited from using their treasury to donate directly to candidates’ coffers, they can use it for independent expenditures and contributions to outside groups”

And remember, the Unions (with a rich history of corruption) get to do that accounting (audits are perfunctory, at best).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You guys are idiots.

This is a headline for "eff unions"

Same Union has 850 million in strike funds, the interest of which will cover these members insurance. The UAW will get paid back for whatever they spend on strikes. It's a no win situation for GM.

But hey, it sounds like a zinger right!
Every dollar they spend on strike pay ($12.5M per week) and COBRA (likely more than strike pay) is a dollar they can't give the Democrats.
Different money

Fed law prohibits dues and other union funds from being donated to political causes. Tgat is why unions have PACS and that money can not come from dues and can not be mingked with dues money, it needs to be strictky donated voluntarily to the Political Action fund
Wow - some day you should look up the difference between theory and practice.

Even if dues money doesn’t directly flow into a Democrats campaign coffer, it is completely delusional to think at least some of those dollars aren’t spent for the benefit of Dem politicians...

independent expenditures and contributions to outside groups

still can not be political.

For example, alpa ( airline pilot union ) I think funds some aviation stuff for kids

But I get what you are saying that creative accounting and corrupt people dont always follow the law, but it is still a far cry from saying union dues fund political campaigns because they dont and if they do it is a criminal act

Next we can blame the gun for shooting because people commit crimes with guns... same agument.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 3:53:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Thats pretty standard. Go on strike and you're voluntarily unemployed so you lose your insurance temporarily.

Theres been guys here who couldn't strike because their spouse or kid was in the hospital for a catastrophic illness. They walked in and worked along side managers while the union and membership turned a blind eye.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 3:56:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I use Bing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously?
I use Bing.

yet you specifically said google

you said and I quote

"Google has plenty more examples to look at, if these aren't enough for you."

How do you know what google has if you use bing?

back pedfle much?
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 3:56:40 AM EDT
[#19]
I'll also throw this out there. People that come from Honda, Toyota, and other non union plants have half the knowledge and training as we do at union plants. Honda was okay at training but no where near the level I have gotten at a union plant. Anyone who buys Union you're getting a much better vehicle then a non union plant.

As a person who's worked both, Union by far has the better quality.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 3:56:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Okay, and I want you to answer. For posterity you weasly little guy. If I walk out, being a skilled trademen, do you think these cars, trucks, SUV's are going to magically appear with non skilled tradespeople? Please answer Concearnedweasleperson.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

By the way, do you know who else is against companies making a profit, and feels entitled to their fair share of what profits a company does make?

Communists.
Okay, and I want you to answer. For posterity you weasly little guy. If I walk out, being a skilled trademen, do you think these cars, trucks, SUV's are going to magically appear with non skilled tradespeople? Please answer Concearnedweasleperson.
Now, now... There's no need for name calling.

I believe that anyone can be replaced, and your skills are not nearly as unique or valuable as you think they are.

If you somehow think that no other person in existence is capable of learning how to do what you do, you should perhaps have yourself evaluated for extreme narcissism.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 3:58:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Thats pretty standard. Go on strike and you're voluntarily unemployed so you lose your insurance temporarily.

Theres been guys here who couldn't strike because their spouse or kid was in the hospital for a catastrophic illness. They walked in and worked along side managers while the union and membership turned a blind eye.
View Quote
While rare, unions look out for their family compared to non union. One thing I've learned about non union in the trades is that there are some back stabbing people in the non union side of things. Always looking to get an edge. Reminds me of arfcom.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 3:58:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I would absolutely agree with you if the republicans weren't so rabbidly against unions. I absolutely believe unions set the standard for way of life. You get rid of unions, I believe we go back to the 1930's, china, etc. People have no problem taking advantage of the person who makes things happen. Look at this thread for example. They look at me as just a profit, and fuck my way of life. Just like a communist imo.
View Quote
Can you please point out all of these modern examples of non-union workforces coming down with black lung and tuberculosis?

Go ahead, I'll wait.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 4:02:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Now, now... There's no need for name calling.

I believe that anyone can be replaced, and your skills are not nearly as unique or valuable as you think they are.

If you somehow think that no other person in existence is capable of learning how to do what you do, you should perhaps have yourself evaluated for extreme narcissism.
View Quote
you threw the bomb first. I am far from extreme narcissism. There are people far better then I am in my field at my plant. I'm just saying from experience from non union, and union, that they're are way more knowledgeable people at my place which is union. I do consider myself a pretty good electrician. I'm good at what I do, but a the level I'm at I have to be, because we want to get good vehicles to you, the consumer, and for you to know the difference between  non union vehicle and a union vehicle. It's why we outsell #2 2 to 1 in trucks.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 4:03:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'll also throw this out there. People that come from Honda, Toyota, and other non union plants have half the knowledge and training as we do at union plants. Honda was okay at training but no where near the level I have gotten at a union plant. Anyone who buys Union you're getting a much better vehicle then a non union plant.

View Quote
Based on personal experience my toyota and honda have been much more reilable than my  brother's and cousins Fords and Dodge

But maybe they were made in mexico, I dont know. Maybe the vehicles made by those companies in the US are more reliable.

Are the US company vehicles made in Mexico not the same quality as US made?

Serious question. I would expect not, and if so why do they keep making them there?
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 4:03:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Can you please point out all of these modern examples of non-union workforces coming down with black lung and tuberculosis?

Go ahead, I'll wait.
View Quote
because of standards, which was brought about in the union early on in American history.....
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 4:05:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I disagree.

Based on personal experience my toyota and honda have been much mire reilable than my  brother's and cousins Fords and Dodge

But maybe they were made in mexico, I dont know. Maybe the vehicles made by those companies in the US are more reliable.

Are the US company vehicles made in Mexico not the same quality as US made?

Serious question. I would expect not, and if so why do they keep making them there?
View Quote
I worked at Greensburg Indiana Honda plant, which makes the Civic, and the CRV. Their quality was horrible. I don't know about Mexico. Most of Ford's cars are made there now.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 4:15:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

yet you specifically said google

you said and I quote

"Google has plenty more examples to look at, if these aren't enough for you."

How do you know what google has if you use bing?

back pedfle much?
View Quote

I said Google because that is the term that most people are familiar with. The word "Google" has evolved from a proper noun into a verb over time, as I am sure you are aware.

Saying "You should Bing that" or "Let me DuckDuckGo that for you" just doesn't have the same ring to it, does it?

And for the sake of complete transparency, I began my search using Bing, but did switch over to Google midway as my intent was to provide a LMGTFY link leading to the search results, just for fun.

I am not aware of any similar option for Bing or DuckDuckGo, but if you know of one, please do share.

After having found mixed results from both Bing and Google, I decided to post direct links rather than use LMGTFY, as I thought it would lead to less confusion.

Incidentally, this was the first time using google in so long that I actually typed Google into the Bing search bar, rather than going directly to the site.

Any further questions?
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 4:16:55 AM EDT
[#28]
For anyone who will listen as I'm about to go to bed, and I've had quite a few achollic beverages since it's my day off and I've had surgery to get rid of some moles on my back. Me and my fellow union workers literally bust our ass working 12 hour days in extreme heat to get out quality vehicles. It sincerely bothers us and I know especially me when a vehicle isn't right. I know that truck or car could go to my myself, family, friends, or one of you pointy elbow non liking mother fuckers.

That's the people I work around. Do we have some shitbirds in the union? Absolutely, but they get shunned. the majority know if we make shit vehicles you guys won't buy, and then we're out of a job. Management is literally there for decoration. We make the vehicles, and we run the show. We know that, and hence we know it's up to us to run the best product, and we use management as a tool, because they want to keep their job.

Regardless unions sets the other non-union standards and pay in balance. You wanting us to crash, we'll put everyone in a shitty situation. I'll always be fine, because I have three trade licenses in three different trades. I can get a job with a Thano's snap. I'm just tired of the littler guy union bashing and hence why I'm commenting. Fuck the haters.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 4:20:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
So now you're trying to claim that UAW vehicles are better quality than Honda or Toyota?

Link Posted: 9/18/2019 4:21:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I said Google because that is the term that most people are familiar with. The word "Google" has evolved from a proper noun into a verb over time, as I am sure you are aware.

Saying "You should Bing that" or "Let me DuckDuckGo that for you" just doesn't have the same ring to it, does it?

And for the sake of complete transparency, I began my search using Bing, but did switch over to Google midway as my intent was to provide a LMGTFY link leading to the search results, just for fun.

I am not aware of any similar option for Bing or DuckDuckGo, but if you know of one, please do share.

After having found mixed results from both Bing and Google, I decided to post direct links rather than use LMGTFY, as I thought it would lead to less confusion.

Incidentally, this was the first time using google in so long that I actually typed Google into the Bing search bar, rather than going directly to the site.

Any further questions?
View Quote
that's a dumb question to rebuttal. Who give a fuck on what search engine other then semantics that he's using.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 4:24:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

So now you're trying to claim that UAW vehicles are better quality than Honda or Toyota?

View Quote
Working for both Honda with my good friend working at Toyota, and the current place I'm working. Abso "god damn" lutely. There isn't even a comparison. He just got here and he'd swear our quality of standard of vehicle is so much higher. I haven't even named the company I worked for. Why would I lie?
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 4:29:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
because of standards, which was brought about in the union early on in American history.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go ahead, I'll wait.
Yet you claim that without unions, businesses would be operating under 1930's standards.

So, which is it?

Do non-union shops currently operate to modern safety standards, or not?

Without the unions there to protect the lowly workers, why aren't modern non-union shops suffering from unsafe working conditions, communicable diseases, and high mortality rates?

How is it that some industries have not only survived, but thrived with a lack of union oversight?

Based on your description, any non-union shop should look like a relic of the industrial revolution...
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 4:35:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Working for both Honda with my good friend working at Toyota, and the current place I'm working. Abso "god damn" lutely. There isn't even a comparison. He just got here and he'd swear our quality of standard of vehicle is so much higher. I haven't even named the company I worked for. Why would I lie?
View Quote
So you're saying that it's the consumers who are lying when they say their Hondas and Toyotas have been more trouble-free than their UAW vehicles?

That's a rather bold claim!

Personally, I'll take the consumer's word for it on the overall quality of the vehicle, considering they're the ones driving it every day. That carries more weight with me than the opinion of someone who only saw the vehicle once, when installing one small portion of the complete package.

Link Posted: 9/18/2019 4:38:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends on the vehicle.

Also, everyone posting theyre against the enemy, this and that all the while supporting google, amazon, netflix, FB, whatever else. Seems like most are selective when it comes on what to hate or not. Its hilarious.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 4:39:53 AM EDT
[#35]
I've had to have meetings with a lawyer over this bullshit.

Fuck unions, fuck communists.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 4:49:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

So you're saying that it's the consumers who are lying when they say their Hondas and Toyotas have been more trouble-free than their UAW vehicles?

That's a rather bold claim!

Personally, I'll take the consumer's word for it on the overall quality of the vehicle, considering they're the ones driving it every day. That carries more weight with me than the opinion of someone who only saw the vehicle once, when installing one small portion of the complete package.

View Quote
I saw 500 civics a day go out of the greensburg plant. You're a better man than I if you pick one of those. CRV's were less, but they have a harder time.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 4:51:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Yet you claim that without unions, businesses would be operating under 1930's standards.

So, which is it?

Without the unions there to protect the lowly workers, why aren't modern non-union shops suffering from unsafe working conditions, communicable diseases, and high mortality rates?

How is it that some industries have not only survived, but thrived with a lack of union oversight?

Based on your description, any non-union shop should look like a relic of the industrial revolution...
View Quote
You're contradicting yourself. They're not, because the union set the standards.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 5:19:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
We make the vehicles, and we run the show.
View Quote
And, there it is.

The terms "skilled labor" and "knowledgeable people" keep getting used.  These people had no skills or knowledge at one time.  They were trained.  Their replacements can be trained.  Machines can be programed to replace people.  Anyone can be replaced.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 5:23:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Communists.
Yes, and with minimal training.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 5:24:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
Union doesn’t set the quality standards.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 5:24:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
You're contradicting yourself. They're not, because the union set the standards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, which is it?

Except they don’t.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 5:58:38 AM EDT
[#42]
The striking idiots need to drive to Lordstown Ohio.

I was there Saturday. The plant had two cars in the parking lot.

That is your future UAW.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 6:02:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

My current job is the first time I have ever been in a union of any form or really around one at all. So my experience is limited.
View Quote
Ive seen this before. Mods shouldnt be allowed who are union members. How can we allow people who are members of unions the cornerstone of communism to moderate gun communities.  By staying pro union you are deliberately supporting gun bans and are contributing money to those working against us.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 6:04:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'm a union worker. Just buy foreign. Fuck America am I right? When this country collapses, and when you're in the shit hole with the rest of us, I hope you can look back and think "I sure showed them!".
View Quote
wow
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 7:09:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 7:11:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
For anyone who will listen as I'm about to go to bed, and I've had quite a few achollic beverages since it's my day off and I've had surgery to get rid of some moles on my back. Me and my fellow union workers literally bust our ass working 12 hour days in extreme heat to get out quality vehicles. It sincerely bothers us and I know especially me when a vehicle isn't right. I know that truck or car could go to my myself, family, friends, or one of you pointy elbow non liking mother fuckers.

That's the people I work around. Do we have some shitbirds in the union? Absolutely, but they get shunned. the majority know if we make shit vehicles you guys won't buy, and then we're out of a job. Management is literally there for decoration. We make the vehicles, and we run the show. We know that, and hence we know it's up to us to run the best product, and we use management as a tool, because they want to keep their job.

Regardless unions sets the other non-union standards and pay in balance. You wanting us to crash, we'll put everyone in a shitty situation. I'll always be fine, because I have three trade licenses in three different trades. I can get a job with a Thano's snap. I'm just tired of the littler guy union bashing and hence why I'm commenting. Fuck the haters.
View Quote
You and your buddies need to unfuck your corrupt, Dem loving leadership.  Own it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 7:13:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Tough shit. I pay about $150 monthly plus a $6000 out of pocket max for my health care. Welcome to Obamacare motherfuckers!
View Quote
Just another broken promise from the Trump administration.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 7:18:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

No; as stated I have ZERO info about GM/UAW. Assumed it was just a strike for better work place. Assumed wrong. I don't want to derail this thread so ill just read for info.
View Quote
How new are you?
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 7:20:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 7:50:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Then do it.  Quit making excuses and go out and earn more money.

You might make $15/hr at Walmart.  Eventually.   Your benefits will suck, your hours will suck, and your retirement will suck.  And, unlike the cushy job at GM, Walmart can fire your ass at a moments notice, for any reason.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That pay is more than competitive in today's labor market.

Just like management's pay.  Don't like it?  Go work somewhere else.
You can get a job at a fast food place or grocery store making almost that and have better working conditions and hours. Permanent hires are better, but even that isn't enough to make up for the shit hours for the folks you want to hire.
Then do it.  Quit making excuses and go out and earn more money.

You might make $15/hr at Walmart.  Eventually.   Your benefits will suck, your hours will suck, and your retirement will suck.  And, unlike the cushy job at GM, Walmart can fire your ass at a moments notice, for any reason.

Yeah, I'll run right out and make more money by taking a job paying less than half what the people that worked for me make. That's that's the sort of well thought out and logically sound argument we get here.

I never worked for GM, but I know exactly what sort of problems they have. At those wages you have shit employee retention and are attracting shit candidates. Anyone worth a shit is going to want some sort of flexibility in hours and will leave the minute they get moved to afternoons and it conflicts with their school. When the inevitable layoffs hit they go somewhere else. When their side gig hits ,or they graduate from school, they're gone. So who do you get left with? People who need medical because of their health of their kids... People with broken bodies climbing in and out of a Silverado a couple thousand times a day? Now that employee goes out on medical after a year and you're stuck.

If you want to attract young, healthy employee that you can retain, you need to offer better wages than fast food places. Something has to make up for the fact they expect you working off shifts or swing shifts in the heat and doing physically demanding jobs.
Page / 16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top