User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 12:33:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not up to speed on the latest military weaponry (I'm from the M16A1 era). When they say the Marines are bucking the trend of the other services by updating the rifle length M16 does that mean the other services have simply dropped the M16 (in favor of M4 carbines?) or does it mean the other services have adopted something else to replace the rifle length M16?

The M4 is the order of the day for the Army and they have little interest in a 5.56 platform with a barrel over 16". They have decided to field a 7.62x51mm rifle for all marksman work.

Unfortunately, this is the case.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 12:33:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

That battery has both M4s and A4s.  I signed for them years ago when they were new weapons.  

The I&I Sgt we dealt with said they'd recently had a huge influx of M4s for some reason, but he didn't know why.

Link Posted: 1/22/2013 12:40:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
So it's just a rear BUIS on a railed monolithic upper and a buffer tube and stock for $1200?

To the military, it makes more sense to upgrade a gun for $1200 or more each than to buy a new purpose built gun for less.

See this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mk_14_Enhanced_Battle_Rifle

Edit: I thought the stocks were much more costly. i found a site that has them for less than $800. I could have swore they cost a lot more than that when I first read about the EBR procurement.

That's not a purpose built infantry rifle. It's a 14 pound bastardization of a piece of shit that doesn't belong in US service.

Link Posted: 1/22/2013 12:44:21 PM EDT
[#4]
OST

Link Posted: 1/22/2013 12:44:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

That battery has both M4s and A4s.  I signed for them years ago when they were new weapons.  

The I&I Sgt we dealt with said they'd recently had a huge influx of M4s for some reason, but he didn't know why.

Back in the '80s, our armories used to have extra rifles and pistols above and beyond our TO&E in the event of weapons being deadlined and in need of repair above the unit level, or if extra weapons were needed, so on and so forth.  Until you mentioned it, I hadn't really thought about that, but I haven't seen "extra" weapons in an armory since I returned from SWA in 1991.  

My last command had brand new A4s arrive from FN, and then a year later, an almost equal number of new M4s-all NIB.  It was a sight to behold.  

Now the well-used M9 and M4 I drew from 5/10s armory, OTOH.....

Some of the rifles I've seen from 8th ESB and other Div. units looked like they'd spent every day of their existence in combat.  They were worn.  The point being, I imagine after a decade of war, lots of weapons need to be not just rebuilt, but replaced, and it's as good a time to upgrade as any.
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 6:12:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Saw this online googling M16A4 PiP VLTOR. It belongs to SMGLee.
http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/ss13/huge/P1100769.jpg
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 6:47:49 AM EDT
[#7]
looks futuristic as shit for an M16
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 8:18:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
looks futuristic as shit for an M16

I like it though, it would be a good and well received upgrade.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top