BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 14
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 5:29:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That RPM range is where I do most of my shooting.  3rd round is normally where you start compensating for auto fire and bringing it back on target.
View Quote
That's funny, I was recently talking with someone about 3rd burst likely being the worst mode of fire - as the 3rd round is where we are likely to see maximum dispersion, with not ability to compensate for.

In terms of RPM, I'm not saying that 900-1000rpm is impossible to control. But its likely one of the least ideal RPM's when compared to a lower ROF like 600rpm.

Notably, Jim Sullivan, one of the chief designers of the AR15, has been working for years to lower the ROF in order to maximize controllability. His "product improved M4 has a ROF of around 580, and it is noticeably more controllable:

https://youtu.be/gOUKXIrDE0I?t=10m4s

The whole interview is worth watching, but I've linked to the section comparing a stock M4 at 850-900rpm vs the sub 600rpm M4.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 5:56:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I wouldn't go .865 out front, too much extra weight. G rail might work pretty well, make sure to keep the weight down.  I would add a better gas tube and bolt. Barrel should be around 1moa capable.  Everyone should get the SSF and 90 deg selectors. Bipods and D60's to IAR gunners.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Imagine a rifle based on the M4A1 with a .980" before the gas block, .865" or even .740" after the gas block barrel, Geissele rail, SSF, 90 degree full auto selector, better bipod, and a D60 as an IAR. That I could get behind.
I wouldn't go .865 out front, too much extra weight. G rail might work pretty well, make sure to keep the weight down.  I would add a better gas tube and bolt. Barrel should be around 1moa capable.  Everyone should get the SSF and 90 deg selectors. Bipods and D60's to IAR gunners.
Yes, Inconel or thick gas tube. I would go with a standard bolt just for parts commonality, but an E3 bolt would be nice.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 6:05:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

That's funny, I was recently talking with someone about 3rd burst likely being the worst mode of fire - as the 3rd round is where we are likely to see maximum dispersion, with not ability to compensate for.

In terms of RPM, I'm not saying that 900-1000rpm is impossible to control. But its likely one of the least ideal RPM's when compared to a lower ROF like 600rpm.

Notably, Jim Sullivan, one of the chief designers of the AR15, has been working for years to lower the ROF in order to maximize controllability. His "product improved M4 has a ROF of around 580, and it is noticeably more controllable:

https://youtu.be/gOUKXIrDE0I?t=10m4s

The whole interview is worth watching, but I've linked to the section comparing a stock M4 at 850-900rpm vs the sub 600rpm M4.
View Quote
Gun Jesus released a PPSh-41 video today that included a discussion of how cyclic rate relates to controllability.
[youtube]FAIyQ5yqVu8?t=203[/youtube]
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 6:22:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Primarily the more accurate barrel and free floating slightly longer hand guard. Trigger should also feel slightly nicer, but I would prefer an SSF.

I've always felt our issue rifles should be more accurate.  Free float is also important as loading a bipod can change impact.  Sling tension (if you choose to use it) also affects impact.

Half the Corps can't use the extra accuracy, but I think  at least 10-20% could.
View Quote
Don't ya'll still use the M4? I mean at least the M4A1 has a much more accurate barrel and a full auto trigger with one semi decent trigger pull.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 6:29:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Don't ya'll still use the M4? I mean at least the M4A1 has a much more accurate barrel and a full auto trigger with one semi decent trigger pull.
View Quote
Yep. M4 or M16A4 with crappy triggers
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 6:34:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Primarily the more accurate barrel and free floating slightly longer hand guard. Trigger should also feel slightly nicer, but I would prefer an SSF.

I've always felt our issue rifles should be more accurate.  Free float is also important as loading a bipod can change impact.  Sling tension (if you choose to use it) also affects impact.

Half the Corps can't use the extra accuracy, but I think  at least 10-20% could.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

Ironically there was many here who had said that in the various M27 threads, that the US could obtain a rifle you just described for a much lower price then the H&K offering (there up to there 5th version of the 416) and obtain all those features...
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 6:35:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yep. M4 or M16A4 with crappy triggers
View Quote
Needs more M4A1. The RO921HB is a very accurate barrel and actually has a better barrel life than the the basic RO921 of the M4, and while the basic full auto trigger isn't the best at least you know the trigger pull will always be the same and be somewhere around 6.5-7lbs.

Plus look at this.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 6:39:52 PM EDT
[#8]
All that is of course dependent upon good ammunition. Hopefully the M855A1 we get issued will end up with better accuracy than the M855.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 6:42:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Ironically there was many here who had said that in the various M27 threads, that the US could obtain a rifle you just described for a much lower price then the H&K offering (there up to there 5th version of the 416) and obtain all those features...
View Quote
The 416 is actually up to the 416A7 now.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 6:47:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
All that is of course dependent upon good ammunition. Hopefully the M855A1 we get issued will end up with better accuracy than the M855.
View Quote
M855A1 has far better accuracy than M855, but pre-GWOT had far better accuracy than pos-GWOT as well.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 7:43:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

good thing "perfection" isn't part of HK's slogan/motto

quite impressive (in both a postive as well as negative sense) that they have had 7(?) generations within roughly a decade
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 7:46:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
M855A1 has far better accuracy than M855, but pre-GWOT had far better accuracy than pos-GWOT as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
wouldn't part of A1's improved accuracy be due to it not being manufactured during the height of GWOT?
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 7:49:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/your-marine-corps/2017/12/11/new-in-2018-corps-adopts-m855a1-round/

The Army's M855A1 round has proved a deadlier bullet than the Corps' M855 5.56mm round, said Chris Woodburn of the Corps' Combat Development Command.

"The M855A1 provides improved performance over the current M855, 5.56mm round in a lead-free form factor, and provides improved steel penetration, hard- and soft-target terminal effects, with more consistent terminal effects than the M855 at ranges out to 600 meters," Woodburn told Marine Corps Times.

In testing, the Army round caused "some durability issues" for the Marine Corps' M27 Infantry Automatic Rifle, Brig. Gen. Joseph Shrader, MARCORYSCOM's commanding officer, told Senators in June. Even though the M855A1 reduces the IAR's durability, the M27 is still "operationally suitable" when firing the Army rounds, Woodburn said.
View Quote
Iirc the durability issue have been fix with the induction of 3rd generation pmag to the marine corp.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 7:54:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 8:20:13 PM EDT
[#15]
What was the RoF on the other IAR submissions?  I knew a fairly senior gun plumber at LWRCI and their submission seemed to be a really good rifle.  The paper stats looked great...but I never got to try it.

As much as I despise muzzle brakes on rifles used for social work, this might be a good place for one.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 8:42:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

wouldn't part of A1's improved accuracy be due to it not being manufactured during the height of GWOT?
View Quote
Could be, but I'm not sure at what rate they are producing M855A1 vs how they produced GWOT M855.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 9:01:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Just read the whole thread, this is awesome. Thanks all for the valuable info!
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 10:16:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Imagine a rifle based on the M4A1 with a .980" before the gas block, .865" or even .740" after the gas block barrel, Geissele rail, SSF, 90 degree full auto selector, better bipod, and a D60 as an IAR. That I could get behind.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

On the other hand you have people with the argument that if Gunner Wade says the M27 is the greatest thing ever, it's fact.

I'd like to see how it performs in an automatic rifle role in the hands of someone it is issued to. Probably not much different than those two and probably not much different than how an M4A1 with a Harris bipod would do.
M4A1 with a Harris ought to perform pretty similar at 100.  I would take an M27 over the M4A1 any day though.

Of course I would take a nicely built free float DI with an accurate barrel over the M27.
midlength gas system too!
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 12:10:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

On the other hand you have people with the argument that if Gunner Wade says the M27 is the greatest thing ever, it's fact.

I'd like to see how it performs in an automatic rifle role in the hands of someone it is issued to. Probably not much different than those two and probably not much different than how an M4A1 with a Harris bipod would do.
M4A1 with a Harris ought to perform pretty similar at 100.  I would take an M27 over the M4A1 any day though.

Of course I would take a nicely built free float DI with an accurate barrel over the M27.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 1:39:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What you guys are basically describing is the URG / "M4A2" / SOCOM Block III:
-Midlength gas
-Mlok free float handguard
-Geissele SSF with High Speed Selector
-SF Warcomp

http://soldiersystems.net/2017/05/08/usasoc-envisions-taking-sopmod-into-the-2020s-with-a-new-upper-receiver-group-for-its-m4a1s/

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/What-is-the-next-evolution-of-the-M4A1-shaping-up-to-look-like-Block-III-/118-717047/

What we really need though is the "M4A3," which is the above M4A2 with the following upgrades:
- Surefire Low RPM "Advanced Rifle Operating Core" to reduce ROF to below 600rpm and improve bolt life
-Picatinny "Durable Solid Lubricant Coating" for the BCG
-3 position Adjustable Gas Block optimized for M855A1 (Normal, Suppressed, Adverse)
-FN CHF heavy barrel optimized for accuracy and reduced cook off

That would completely outperform the M27 at 1/2 the cost.

The SF AROC system:
http://soldiersystems.net/2017/09/20/mdm-17-surefire-advanced-rifle-operating-core/

http://www.defensereview.com/surefire-optimized-bolt-carrier-long-stroke-obc-ls-drop-in-bcg-and-h7s-buffer-system-for-better-weapon-control-reliability-and-durability-best-tactical-ar-15m4m4a1-carbineshort-barreled-rifle/
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 1:49:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

-Midlength gas
-SF Warcomp

http://soldiersystems.net/2017/05/08/usasoc-envisions-taking-sopmod-into-the-2020s-with-a-new-upper-receiver-group-for-its-m4a1s/

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/What-is-the-next-evolution-of-the-M4A1-shaping-up-to-look-like-Block-III-/118-717047/

What we really need though is the "M4A3," which is the above M4A2 with the following upgrades:
- Surefire Low RPM "Advanced Rifle Operating Core" to reduce ROF to below 600rpm and improve bolt life
-3 position Adjustable Gas Block optimized for M855A1 (Normal, Suppressed, Adverse)

The SF AROC system:
http://soldiersystems.net/2017/09/20/mdm-17-surefire-advanced-rifle-operating-core/

http://www.defensereview.com/surefire-optimized-bolt-carrier-long-stroke-obc-ls-drop-in-bcg-and-h7s-buffer-system-for-better-weapon-control-reliability-and-durability-best-tactical-ar-15m4m4a1-carbineshort-barreled-rifle/
View Quote
That AROC looks cool but is completely untested.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 1:51:52 AM EDT
[#22]
M27 will only temporarily be in service to all.

Other things are coming.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 1:55:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Other things are coming.
View Quote
I don't think the M27 will ever be in service to all.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 2:09:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Other things are coming.
+1. Even ignoring everything else, the gun is too expensive to be in service to all. Little benefit to extreme cost.
Ain't gonna happen.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 2:18:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
The reduced ROF aspect of it (with the spring loaded weight in the bolt carrier) was designed by Jim Sullivan - it's the core aspect of his "product improved M4," which he's been demonstrating since 2015 or so. So the engineering pedigree behind it is pretty solid

It's also very similar to the FERFRANS system which has been around since 1999.

Obviously the AROC system would need to be evaluated (similar to the MLOK vs Keymod eval,) but the core technology is pretty basic - the bolt travels 0.4" longer and has a spring loaded weight, to slow down the overall action and recoil impulse. It's not "next generation sci fi" like the rotating chamber, forward ejection system for the LSAT, or the G11 2200 rpm hyperburst.

If we stick to just whats "proven" then we will never actually "improve" in a meaningful way.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 2:29:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Gun Jesus released a PPSh-41 video today that included a discussion of how cyclic rate relates to controllability.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAIyQ5yqVu8?t=203
View Quote
Great video, thanks for sharing.

His "bell curve of controllability" stacks up pretty well with the French study, which found a similar curve, albeit with more clearly defined optimums.

Speaking of his reference to the controllability of the low RPM M3 Grease Gun, here's a guy "mowing the lawn" with one, which really demonstrates the benefits of a low ROF:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAOKhLi8xj4

His mention of the ROF vs Mag Capacity also is another really good point - you get a lot more "Gas Millage" with a low ROF:

M27 IAR: 30rd @ 900rpm = 2 seconds firing time
M27 IAR: 60rd @ 900rpm = 4 seconds firing time
RPK 74: 45rd @ 600 rpm = 4.5 seconds firing time
Sullivan Low RPM M4: 60rd @ 600 rpm = 6 seconds firing time
M249 : 100rd @ 800 rpm = 7.5 seconds firing time
Ultimax: 100rd @ 450 rpm = 13.3 seconds firing time
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 8:16:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Honestly, doing squad-level field problems and battle drills on the weekend for the past couple years. All of us are civilians, with quite a few vets (mostly engineers), but we try and get out, really use our gear, and figure out what works and what doesn't.
View Quote
The war you train for must be......different.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 9:13:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
The pics seem to show an un-captured extractor pin.  Seems that could cause some issues.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 9:42:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
-Midlength gas
-SF Warcomp

The SF AROC system:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Midlength gas
-SF Warcomp

The SF AROC system:

Thats some cool shit....
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 10:14:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
-Midlength gas
-SF Warcomp

The SF AROC system:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Midlength gas
-SF Warcomp

The SF AROC system:

I was listing the simplest, proven, compatible with current parts options.

I believe an automatic rifle should have a very heavy barrel with 60 round mags and all the others should be much lighter barrels (constant taper?) with 30 round mags. The extra weight alone of the heavier barrel and bipod will make it more controllable.

Either make them all 14.5" or do something like this:
Squad Leader - 10.3" lighter barrel
Team Leader - 10.3 lighter barrel
Grenadier - 12.5" lighter barrel, under barrel 40mm
Rifleman/Designated Marksman - 14.5" lighter barrel, 1-8X optic
Automatic Rifleman - 16" heavier barrel
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 11:45:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I believe an automatic rifle should have a very heavy barrel with 60 round mags and all the others should be much lighter barrels (constant taper?) with 30 round mags. The extra weight alone of the heavier barrel and bipod will make it more controllable.

View Quote
why not give the grenadier a 10.3" barrel? Then there are 3 different barrels instead of 4.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 12:18:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
why not give the grenadier a 10.3" barrel? Then there are 3 different barrels instead of 4.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was thinking about just short and long barrels like 10.3" and 14.5" or 11.5"/12.5" and 16".
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 12:20:01 PM EDT
[#33]
you use an SBR because your mission is primarily in a building and in and out of vehicles.

Weight has nothing to do with it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 12:21:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Would it shock you to learn that the German MG34 in the squad LMG role was designed to be with either a 70 rd top cover magazine (the entire feed tray assemble would need to be removed and replaced to use belts), or using a snail drum with belted ammo and ten less rounds than a Magpul 60 round drum holds but weighed twice as much?
View Quote
And why are the double drums so rare they cost thousands now? Because the Germans did away with them for ground combat use very early (perhaps prewar) for exactly the reason he stated (in aircraft they used them, but not as support on the ground) making them rare as hens teeth. They did sometimes use a 50 round basket 'drum' (just a belt holder with no internals), with both the '34 and '42 but those were mainly simply to be combat ready as the gun was being transported with the drum and a 50 round belt ready to go, but once set up the 50rd drums were generally tossed aside and MG's fed from 250 rd cans. A 50 rd drum in am MG42 is all but worthless, but better than an empty gun if needed in a snap on the march.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 1:08:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The pics seem to show an un-captured extractor pin.  Seems that could cause some issues.
View Quote
It would. The carrier retains the pin. That's why KAC added a spring into the extractor to retain the pin.

Also why LMT added that extra lip to the carrier of the E-BCG otherwise the extractor pin would be uncaptured and eventually vibrate out.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 1:11:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
you use an SBR because your mission is primarily in a building and in and out of vehicles.

Weight has nothing to do with it.
View Quote
I'm surprised with HOW MUCH mechanization and such has been in the US military since the 1930s or even sooner. That we haven't gone with shorter weapons as standard issue. Until now, at least with the M4.

Alot of people seem to think the Germans had a monopoly on mechanized warfare. From the whole Blitzkrieg propaganda that came from Germany. But the US, was way more mechanized than the Germans were. We were more mechanized than anyone else. And it's probably why we won the war.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 1:13:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I'm surprised with HOW MUCH mechanization and such has been in the US military since the 1930s or even sooner. That we haven't gone with shorter weapons as standard issue. Until now, at least with the M4.

Alot of people seem to think the Germans had a monopoly on mechanized warfare. From the whole Blitzkrieg propaganda that came from Germany. But the US, was way more mechanized than the Germans were. We were more mechanized than anyone else. And it's probably why we won the war.
View Quote
Our great accomplishment.

We fought in tanks and APCs with M14s and Garands.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 1:15:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 1:30:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'm not fanboi of HK or piston guns, and I'm not an engineer. But I've read that when it comes to short barrel (I guess 14.5" qualifies), lots of full auto, and suppressor use, piston is the way to go.

We're going to be using these carbines for rifleman and DM work, but also IAR duty, they need to be able to function well on full auto, and the times appear that all suppressor, all the time is likely on the horizon, so we better start designing our weapons to work well in full auto while suppressed. Because if we don't, we're still stuck with a weapon that either wont work well suppressed (which then means reliability issues or tactical problems from going sans suppressor), and eventually we're just going to have to fix that problem anyway.

Maybe a simple adjustable gas block on a normal DI gas system is enough. I don't know enough to answer it it, but however, adjustable gas regulator is something that NEEDS to be on the next service rifle.
View Quote
Adjustable gas regulator, H2 buffer, better action spring, and the LMT enhanced bolt carrier group with it's longer cam track, more vent holes, and it's better bolt would solve that problem, IMO.

Something like the Geissele buffer/braided spring package would be sweet with the H2 weight.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 1:36:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Thank you for your service.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honestly, doing squad-level field problems and battle drills on the weekend for the past couple years. All of us are civilians, with quite a few vets (mostly engineers), but we try and get out, really use our gear, and figure out what works and what doesn't.

Company level, to be issued as mission-specific equipment. It looks to be a good approach, when coupled with the 240s in the company weapons platoon.
Thank you for your service.
lol
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 1:37:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Or Marines with M16A2s in AAVs.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 1:41:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
What is wrong with a full auto AR with a KAC bolt and barrel , inconel gas tube, SSA-E trigger, suppressor, free float Giessele rail and mission dependent optics and magazine?
View Quote
Incolonel gas tube is an abhorrently bad idea in my amateur opinion.

The gas tube is a safety device and you WANT it to melt before your barrel bursts. A gas tube that's too durable, and the barrel is the weak point.

If the barrel bursts, you're in for a bad time. If the gas tube melts, you probably won't get injured.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 1:42:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Its easy to make M16s super controllable with the right buffer/gas system. Ive got several of my uppers running at slow rate of fires with zero muzzle climb.
View Quote
I like a high ROF for close targets.  Take the time of a traditional double tap and you can have five rounds on target instead of two. (.3sec burst)
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 1:44:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Adjustable gas regulator, H2 buffer, better action spring, and the LMT enhanced bolt carrier group with it's longer cam track, more vent holes, and it's better bolt would solve that problem, IMO.

Something like the Geissele buffer/braided spring package would be sweet with the H2 weight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not fanboi of HK or piston guns, and I'm not an engineer. But I've read that when it comes to short barrel (I guess 14.5" qualifies), lots of full auto, and suppressor use, piston is the way to go.

We're going to be using these carbines for rifleman and DM work, but also IAR duty, they need to be able to function well on full auto, and the times appear that all suppressor, all the time is likely on the horizon, so we better start designing our weapons to work well in full auto while suppressed. Because if we don't, we're still stuck with a weapon that either wont work well suppressed (which then means reliability issues or tactical problems from going sans suppressor), and eventually we're just going to have to fix that problem anyway.

Maybe a simple adjustable gas block on a normal DI gas system is enough. I don't know enough to answer it it, but however, adjustable gas regulator is something that NEEDS to be on the next service rifle.

Adjustable gas is a nice to have, but also leads inoperable rifles due to idiots not knowing how to set it correctly. If your average end user has a 2 digit IQ, its probably going to create more problems than it solves.

Short barrel suppressed AR-15s work fine as is. You guys are solving problems that don't actually exist.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 1:45:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Incolonel gas tube is an abhorrently bad idea in my amateur opinion.

The gas tube is a safety device and you WANT it to melt before your barrel bursts. A gas tube that's too durable, and the barrel is the weak point.

If the barrel bursts, you're in for a bad time. If the gas tube melts, you probably won't get injured.
View Quote
If your thinking of IG88's video, he popped a barrel because it was a lighter weight profile made from stainless steel.  A 4150 barrel probably wouldn't have popped.  A heavier barrel wouldn't have blown.  The danger zone for bursting a barrel is probably 4+ combat loads fired without a break.  I'll take a slightly improved gas tube and not worry about the barrel.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 1:53:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Something missing from the IAR discussion, is whether the M27 is actually good as a full auto weapon.

From the Marine's own video with Gunner Wade, at 80m off the bipod, the M27 is shooting off target by the 3rd round:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18kXkuoA014

This is not exactly inspiring performance, especially when you compare it to a dedicated IAR like the Ultimax 100 and it's constant recoil system:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1zQuWpsYZY

Ideally, we should upgrade the M4A1's to M4A3 (the URG-1 improvements + the Armwest/Surefire developed reduced rate of fire bolt design to drop ROF to 600rpm) and then issue either the KAC LMG or Ultimax 100 to replace the M249.
View Quote
I'm not sold on the Surefire/Armwest solution as opposed to the LMT solution. Theirs has more components, proprietary components, and doesn't modify unlocking at all from what I've seen. They also didn't do anything about the bolt either.

I'd rather see the LMT solution.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 2:06:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you ever hitched a ride in an MT-LB while carrying a G3?

It was horrible.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 2:31:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
The entire Corps could use the extra bolt life that comes from not torquing the barrel, and thus the the barrel extension thus loading the bolt lugs on one side more than the other.

Free floating an M4 increases the bolt life.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 2:36:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 2:37:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
If your thinking of IG88's video, he popped a barrel because it was a lighter weight profile made from stainless steel.  A 4150 barrel probably wouldn't have popped.  A heavier barrel wouldn't have blown.  The danger zone for bursting a barrel is probably 4+ combat loads fired without a break.  I'll take a slightly improved gas tube and not worry about the barrel.
View Quote
I'm thinking of the Colt barrel tests where they shot an M4 and M4A1 barrel to destruction. The M4 barrel popped.

M4 vs. M4a1 carbine; destructive testing
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top