Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 28
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 6:30:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That island is solid blue, so I imagine it's like California where they just blow off forest management because of climate change cult beliefs.
View Quote

My Maui experience?

For west coast and .gov retired white transplants, and political machine people, yes you are right.  For most Asian, Polynesian and long term whites, (D) means lots of services.  They are not progressives, and would likely be cool with sound fire management practices. "Climate change" is not even on their radar.

Link Posted: 8/9/2023 6:30:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

This. There's a reason she's incapacitated.

If they open their doors they expose themselves and the interior of their vehicle to those same conditions. It would be stupid. One ember lands inside and their car is going up in flames. One breath and they could be dead.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Like a said above, Not judging the action or inaction of them stopping to help that lady.

However, you all do realize they have a HIGH probability of becoming a victim as well if they did get out of the car....  The extremely hot air, the smoke..    we can all act like we white knights but come on....

If they open their doors they expose themselves and the interior of their vehicle to those same conditions. It would be stupid. One ember lands inside and their car is going up in flames. One breath and they could be dead.

Right, the cabin filter might have saved their lives.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 6:42:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Another victim of our absolutely idiotic "only you can prevent forest fires" approach to wildfires.

Many small wild fires, no big wild fires.

No small wild fires, big wild fires.

Underbrush, dead trees, etc need to burn before there's so much fuel that a small fire quickly becomes unmanageable.
View Quote

I would also be happy if they started with the basics and kept power lines clear, and didn't wait until a fire started to clear brush off fire roads. It's stuff that could literally be done right now with zero controversy or controlled burns involved. But we need a new behavioral health center for the homeless population instead of funding rural fire departments
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 6:42:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Video from Front street this morning after the fire.
View Quote

Dang, is that the Reef Dancer at 1:03?

I took a tour on that a couple years ago, so I recognized it.

Sad if so, as that was apparently the only semi-sub there.

Link Posted: 8/9/2023 6:44:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Like a said above, Not judging the action or inaction of them stopping to help that lady.

However, you all do realize they have a HIGH probability of becoming a victim as well if they did get out of the car....  The extremely hot air, the smoke..    we can all act like we white knights but come on....

Can also just set it to re-circulate cabin air instead of pulling in outside air.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 6:46:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
FPNI
View Quote

so edgy with your joker avatar lol, dork
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 6:57:22 PM EDT
[#7]
How did it start?
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 7:03:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Can also just set it to re-circulate cabin air instead of pulling in outside air.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah that's very true.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 7:05:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Video from Front street this morning after the fire.
View Quote

That's straight apocalyptic
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 7:08:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I grew up in Lahaina as a kid, for 10 years with 5 years spent on lanai just across from Lahaina, moved there when I was about 4 years old, worked at Lahaina Safeway, that place is pretty special to my heart. And this is killing me

One thing that is kinda funny about this to think about, during my years there we had 4 or 5 tsunami evacuations and some after I left, I always thought a tsunami might take out old town Lahaina, but a fire never in a million years

Totally unreal
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 7:09:58 PM EDT
[#11]
We loved LaHaina.  Just got back from a two week vacation there.

Glad they saved the banyan tree.

Link Posted: 8/9/2023 7:13:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Plus I saw power lines down all around so who knows what you are getting into.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The chances of her being alive at that point are highly unlikely. For all we know half a dozen other cars stopped to check on her. It's tragic but I don't see how we can blame the people in that car for their inaction.

In the video the guys in the car comment on the fact that the car in front of them was tangled in a wire.  

Staying in the car was absolutely the right thing to do.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 7:15:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I guess the price you pay for posting in GD is edgy assed little pricks coming in and shitting all over a thread when they could just keep their cock holsters shut and move on. Human suffering be damned. Idiots.
View Quote

Yep. It’s as if they have complete disregard for the lives of their own countrymen, simply because some of them may look different or lean politically different than them.  Huh.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 7:19:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Native Hawaiians are literally the most racist people I’ve ever heard of in my life. My brothers 13 year old daughter
went to school on the big island, and all of the Hawaiian girls teased her as being white and ugly and too skinny.   Not a joke.

Quoted:
Volcanic island chains were never meant to be inhabited by wyte pepo.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/9/2023 7:19:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

In the video the guys in the car comment on the fact that the car in front of them was tangled in a wire.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The chances of her being alive at that point are highly unlikely. For all we know half a dozen other cars stopped to check on her. It's tragic but I don't see how we can blame the people in that car for their inaction.

I am sure they could feel that heat and you'd have to be stupid to jump out into an inferno.

My wife and I drove past a bus fire once and even from several lanes over through closed windows that shit was amazingly hot. The heat from everything burning around you has to be several times more intense.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 7:20:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Keep us updated if you don't mind.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My brother lives in Pukalani with his family.  He's a doctor there.  If it matters to any of you all, he's a conservative, gun owner, and loves the island and the people.  His kids have grown up Hawaiian.  

They are devastated.  

He lives upcountry, has evacuees (employees of his and their families) in his home right now.  There is a fire upcountry but not threatening his place yet.

Been up all night ensuring the well being of his employees and families.

Lahaina isn't just a tourist attraction. Nor is it just a "town".  

He thinks that it is a mass casualty event.
Keep us updated if you don't mind.

He feels like his place upcountry is safe. He and his family are safe, I haven’t heard about the rest of his employees and family.  He is having a hard time contacting some of them.

Physically bro and fam are fine, but this is a tremendously traumatic event, psychologically.  

He really feels the death toll will be high.

Most long time residents of Maui are very poor.  Most work in or support the tourism industry.  

The economic impact will be devastating.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 7:20:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

When I was 16 my parents sent me to a "Keep you kid out of trouble for the summer program" for 10 weeks. It was basically a minimum security work camp picking pineapples for the summer. It was just outside of Lahaina, and Front st. was one of our favorites places to hang out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sad, I was in Lahaina 2 weeks ago, beautiful historic tourist town.

When I was 16 my parents sent me to a "Keep you kid out of trouble for the summer program" for 10 weeks. It was basically a minimum security work camp picking pineapples for the summer. It was just outside of Lahaina, and Front st. was one of our favorites places to hang out.

How were those centipedes while you were picking pineapples?
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 7:22:20 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

On behalf of my brother, his family, and those he loves and hold dear… and the state and people of Hawaii, you can kindly go fuck yourself.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 7:27:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What I would do is get on the road to Hana and squat in the jungle until the wildfire burned out. No need to roast.
View Quote

A guy interviewed by the news said his house in Lahaina burned down, so he went to another house he owns.  Got evacuated from there too.  He said he was headed to the rainforest because the fire couldn’t reach him there.

Link Posted: 8/9/2023 7:29:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yep. It’s as if they have complete disregard for the lives of their own countrymen, simply because some of them may look different or lean politically different than them.  Huh.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I guess the price you pay for posting in GD is edgy assed little pricks coming in and shitting all over a thread when they could just keep their cock holsters shut and move on. Human suffering be damned. Idiots.

That's called being a piece of shit. They've likely been pieces of shit their whole lives but now they can be pieces of shit openly and proudly because it's safe for them to be that way. Call them out on the internet and you'll get banned. Punch them in the throat in real life and you'll get arrested. It's the direction our country is headed.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 7:36:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 7:39:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Would have taken 30 seconds to get out and drag that lady into the car.  
View Quote
Yup
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 7:43:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Very sad.  Maui and Lahaina are beautiful.   Unfortunately governed by incompetent Dems.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 7:43:51 PM EDT
[#24]
It’s interesting to see how GD thinks aborting liberal babies is cool but not caring about liberals burning to death is bad.

Personally, I hope everyone is evacuated safely and the fires can be contained and extinguished while minimizing the destruction (which is going to be immense).  I pray that the the good Lord watch over those affected and guide the professionals putting their butts on the line to help those in danger.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 7:49:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That's called being a piece of shit. They've likely been pieces of shit their whole lives but now they can be pieces of shit openly and proudly because it's safe for them to be that way. Call them out on the internet and you'll get banned. Punch them in the throat in real life and you'll get arrested. It's the direction our country is headed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. It's as if they have complete disregard for the lives of their own countrymen, simply because some of them may look different or lean politically different than them.  Huh.  

Two important things I've learned as an adult is that miserable people like to make other people miserable and if a woman in your wife's circle of friends gets divorced she will try to spread the divorce bug into married women's heads so she isn't the lone woman out there without a husband

There are also slick trolls that toe the line of rules and try to get people to fall for their bait but thats less common than just miserable people making themselves feel better.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 7:49:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 7:56:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 8:03:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Yep, been there numerous times, Kahana, Kaanapali, Lahaina, loved it, sad for all involved. So many good times there, wife and I.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 8:12:07 PM EDT
[#29]
jesus.....

I used to stay there all the time for vacation.  looks like every place I have stayed at, eaten at, etc is gone
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 8:14:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Someone may have said it already and I apologize for missing it but how did this fire start?
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 8:21:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Tired of reading this thread trying to glean any information. This place used to be good at that. Now we just have a bunch of shit talking assholes around here. As someone who hadn’t spoken to his father in over 24 hours and doesn’t know if he is alive and if his house is still standing you edgelords can go choke on a giant dick.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 8:35:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Someone may have said it already and I apologize for missing it but how did this fire start?
View Quote

It appears to be started by downed power lines caused by high winds (60mph+). I was there a few years ago and noticed that the fiber that feeds the whole north west part of the island runs along the highway, so that would explain why there is no landline or cell service in the area. (I'm a fiber guy, so I tend to notice these things wherever I go.)

https://twitter.com/HotshotWake/status/1689427979426779136

If you have instagram, check out this guys vids. You have to click on the round pic in the upper part of his page.
You can see phone lines whipping in the wind just before the entire pole line comes down.It's almost like they never heard of "wind loading".  It should be the first clip in his "story".

https://www.instagram.com/lei_dubzz/

Also, fuck the edgelords and miserable shitposters in this thread.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 8:35:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Looks apocalyptic.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 8:51:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
Once they opened that door everyone in that vehicle will be the same condition she is in. Keeping the doors shut kept them alive.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 8:59:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 9:03:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

No shit! Fuck those guys. At least check for a pulse.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 9:03:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Prayers for these people. That video of the guys driving brings back memories of the Gatlinburg fire here in 2016. The winds were howling that night so hard, the fire grew out of control in a hurry.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 9:05:41 PM EDT
[#38]
So, the next thing is: they will run out of fresh water.

Link Posted: 8/9/2023 9:34:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Dem stronghold having a hard time finding fucks to give
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 9:40:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Tired of reading this thread trying to glean any information. This place used to be good at that. Now we just have a bunch of shit talking assholes around here. As someone who hadn’t spoken to his father in over 24 hours and doesn’t know if he is alive and if his house is still standing you edgelords can go choke on a giant dick.
View Quote

Hate to say it but staff/mods need to bust out the ban hammer and commence to swinging.

"Never make light of someone else's plight, you never know when some plight may befall you."
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 9:47:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Hate to say it but staff/mods need to bust out the ban hammer and commence to swinging.

"Never make light of someone else's plight, you never know when some plight may befall you."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This place is beyond toxic these days, a lot of people I grew up with just lost everything, that’s if they are even still alive and looking at this and knowing this town well, there’s gonna be quite the death toll

Link Posted: 8/9/2023 9:58:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
No care
View Quote

What the fuck is wrong with you?
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 10:08:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree. There are some real pieces of shit amongst us
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 10:08:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

This place is beyond toxic these days, a lot of people I grew up with just lost everything, that’s if they are even still alive and looking at this and knowing this town well, there’s gonna be quite the death toll

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's actually far less now then it used to be 5-10 years ago. This country has really turned into political first, everything second and I understand that because the same thing is wished on conservatives 100 times over and at some point, most will start to reciprocate.

The people that tend to be truly fvcked are those that had very little in the first place and not enough insurance to cover what they did have. Rebuilding isn't going to happen for them due to the costs so most will just walk away and try to start over elsewhere.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 10:09:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Sucks to see we went there in june and liked the old town look.Took a ride in the semi sub boat deal too.Was telling my wife is the town will probably be rebuilt and modernized for tourist and profit.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 10:09:58 PM EDT
[#46]

Link Posted: 8/9/2023 10:16:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

This place is beyond toxic these days, a lot of people I grew up with just lost everything, that's if they are even still alive and looking at this and knowing this town well, there's gonna be quite the death toll

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tired of reading this thread trying to glean any information. This place used to be good at that. Now we just have a bunch of shit talking assholes around here. As someone who hadn't spoken to his father in over 24 hours and doesn't know if he is alive and if his house is still standing you edgelords can go choke on a giant dick.

This place is beyond toxic these days, a lot of people I grew up with just lost everything, that's if they are even still alive and looking at this and knowing this town well, there's gonna be quite the death toll

Some of the immoral, petulant trash needs to self purge from this site.

Enough is fucking enough! We start our disaster threads for one very important reason. We have a HUGE membership and almost always have immediate, timely information from boots on the ground at, or near the scenes. We have members here who have traveled many miles out of their way to help others, check on welfare, bring supplies and hell, even transport pets.

We have people who live in these areas who are dealing with the trauma of losing not only everything they own, but also their lives. Or families and friends having to deal with this.

One would THINK that the excrement running their heads trying to be edgy would put the crap on hold for the benefit of those affected and those wanting to help.

I will now GLADLY take a hit for calling out the immature, immoral stinky bottom feeders and urge the MODS to take notice please.

I've been here a long time. It is sad that we don't properly take care of our house.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 10:17:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Absolutely nightmarish.  Hopefully the missing are found safe.

Now watch the opportunists like Blackrock swoop in and turn it all into mega hi rise resorts.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 10:20:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Nobody listens to da turtle
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 10:20:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
Sounds like downed power lines started it.
Page / 28
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top