User Panel

Page / 28
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 10:20:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 10:25:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Goddamn, it's like they got fire-bombed off the planet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That is horrible.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 10:27:48 PM EDT
[#3]
My Aunt's business was in downtown Lahaina and burned to the slab. Sad shit to see in the modern world
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 10:29:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Noticeably absent in all the pics and videos I've seen is a single fire truck, flashing set of lights, fireman, policeman or anything of the sort. Just a reminder that when tragedy strikes, you're on your own.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 10:31:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 10:32:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 10:33:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Dem stronghold having a hard time finding fucks to give
View Quote

You let politics break your brain

Link Posted: 8/9/2023 10:41:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 8/9/2023 10:45:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 10:46:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 10:46:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Crazy.

Wind-driven fire is terrifying.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 10:47:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 10:47:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My Aunt's business was in downtown Lahaina and burned to the slab. Sad shit to see in the modern world
View Quote
Shit man, so sorry.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 10:56:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 11:00:04 PM EDT
[#16]
This is the stuff of nightmares.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 11:01:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Some of the immoral, petulant trash needs to self purge from this site.

Enough is fucking enough! We start our disaster threads for one very important reason. We have a HUGE membership and almost always have immediate, timely information from boots on the ground at, or near the scenes. We have members here who have traveled many miles out of their way to help others, check on welfare, bring supplies and hell, even transport pets.

We have people who live in these areas who are dealing with the trauma of losing not only everything they own, but also their lives. Or families and friends having to deal with this.

One would THINK that the excrement running their heads trying to be edgy would put the crap on hold for the benefit of those affected and those wanting to help.

I will now GLADLY take a hit for calling out the immature, immoral stinky bottom feeders and urge the MODS to take notice please.

I've been here a long time. It is sad that we don't properly take care of our house.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tired of reading this thread trying to glean any information. This place used to be good at that. Now we just have a bunch of shit talking assholes around here. As someone who hadn't spoken to his father in over 24 hours and doesn't know if he is alive and if his house is still standing you edgelords can go choke on a giant dick.

Hate to say it but staff/mods need to bust out the ban hammer and commence to swinging.

"Never make light of someone else's plight, you never know when some plight may befall you."

This place is beyond toxic these days, a lot of people I grew up with just lost everything, that's if they are even still alive and looking at this and knowing this town well, there's gonna be quite the death toll

Enough is fucking enough! We start our disaster threads for one very important reason. We have a HUGE membership and almost always have immediate, timely information from boots on the ground at, or near the scenes. We have members here who have traveled many miles out of their way to help others, check on welfare, bring supplies and hell, even transport pets.

We have people who live in these areas who are dealing with the trauma of losing not only everything they own, but also their lives. Or families and friends having to deal with this.

One would THINK that the excrement running their heads trying to be edgy would put the crap on hold for the benefit of those affected and those wanting to help.

I will now GLADLY take a hit for calling out the immature, immoral stinky bottom feeders and urge the MODS to take notice please.

I've been here a long time. It is sad that we don't properly take care of our house.

I'm all for the funny stuff.

But some in this thread are sick and disturbing.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 11:12:37 PM EDT
[#18]
So sad! A few months ago was the first time we took our kids to Maui so I guess at least we will always have those pictures/memories. Honestly a downed power line sounds about right. When we were over there the lines looked sketchy at best.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 11:23:24 PM EDT
[#19]

That is the historic Lahaina Banyan tree outside of the old courthouse.  It is about 150 years old.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 11:26:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Noticeably absent in all the pics and videos I've seen is a single fire truck, flashing set of lights, fireman, policeman or anything of the sort. Just a reminder that when tragedy strikes, you're on your own.
View Quote

Fwiw, here on Big Island the firefighters have my total respect.  Especially with most of 'em being volunteers.  And to their credit they've pretty much got these current blazes all contained here now.

Tonight I appreciated being able to drive home without emergency workers and checkpoints.  And turning into my subdivision and smelling that smell of burnt, I was thankful to have a house to go home to.  

Link Posted: 8/9/2023 11:34:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Wow.  Very sad to see.  My thoughts and prayers go out to those affected.  I've been to Maui a couple of times and had a wonderful time.  Had a nice burger and shake at Cool Cats too.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 11:47:11 PM EDT
[#22]

Whole fucking town is gone.  Sad, was a great place to visit
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 11:47:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

In that first video all a firetruck trying to do fireman stuff is going to do is become a lost asset full of dead firemen.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 11:49:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Damn.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 11:55:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Maui wildfire videos show utter devastation of town of Lahaina | 7NEWS
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 11:56:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 11:56:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Does volcanic rock burn?

My cousin lives up the road from the fire by across the hiway from the Safeway.
We’re still waiting to hear from him.

Before and after pics.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/47594/IMG_0347-2914212.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/47594/IMG_0346-2914213.jpg
View Quote

I'm hearing the Safeway burned down.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 11:58:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
No care
View Quote

That edge is so sharp I cut myself just by reading your comment!
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:02:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:02:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tired of reading this thread trying to glean any information. This place used to be good at that. Now we just have a bunch of shit talking assholes around here. As someone who hadn't spoken to his father in over 24 hours and doesn't know if he is alive and if his house is still standing you edgelords can go choke on a giant dick.

Hate to say it but staff/mods need to bust out the ban hammer and commence to swinging.

"Never make light of someone else's plight, you never know when some plight may befall you."

This place is beyond toxic these days, a lot of people I grew up with just lost everything, that's if they are even still alive and looking at this and knowing this town well, there's gonna be quite the death toll

Too many peoples heads seem to explode that one can simultaneously feel extremely sorry for the Hawaiians and desire for them to have help, while also feel sorry for them coming from a racist island that subjugates the chinese/filipinos/blacks in favor of the Hawaiians based on codified exclusionary law.  I hope while taking this opportunity to rebuild they actually take consideration of the people doing it, which by the way will largely be the Ilocano peoples, and perhaps stop giving those people the middle finger in regards to use of the lands.  I say rebuild the island, really rebuild the island, and I mean from the ground up including their fucked anti-capitalist anti-constitutionalist anti-democratic government.  Any aid that rebuilds government or public buildings should be contingent on fulfilling the constitutional right of citizens of the state and enshrining property rights without consideration of race, rather than being used for evil as their public institutions were used before the fire.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:02:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

@tyrex

There are dozens of wildfires on Maui. They frankly didn't have any trucks left/available when the fire roared into historic Lahaina.

The Banyan Tree is gone.  150 year-old tree.

I have many pictures of my kids in it, from when they were toddlers to teenagers.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/145716/1000020022-2914502.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@tyrex

There are dozens of wildfires on Maui. They frankly didn't have any trucks left/available when the fire roared into historic Lahaina.

The Banyan Tree is gone.  150 year-old tree.

I have many pictures of my kids in it, from when they were toddlers to teenagers.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/145716/1000020022-2914502.jpg

This.  There are large blazes in Kula and Kihei going on right now.  I'm currently on the island of Kahoolawe and we can smell the smoke from here.  The winds have come down a lot since yesterday but it is still breezy with strong gusts.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:05:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
What the hell is up with that? Driving past a woman lying on the ground, immobile is just sick. Maybe there is more to the story, but who the hell does that?
View Quote

They clearly should have put on their SCBAs and hopped into the airlock at the back of their suv to help her out.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:06:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
No care
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:09:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Blue state, let it burn...
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:10:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Hopefully the idiots that implemented the put out every fire forest management plan actually catch some blame. I don't think the death toll is going to stay at 6 sadly.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:13:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Still insane what has happened.  In the blink of an eye, peoples lives taken and uprooted, homes gone, a town wiped off the map, history erased.  All that is left at this moment is photos, videos and memories.  

It is a special place for us as it was our babymoon place, and Lahaina gave us what we needed when we were there, knowing we were going to lose our child after she was born.

I hope insurance doesnt screw folks over, and I hope when they rebuild, they keep the spirit of that area.  I know a lot of folks that are 1-2 degrees of separate from people directly affected including my wife and I, and we will be trying to help them out.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:14:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Blue state, let it burn...
View Quote

Oh look, another edge lord, fuck you...

Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:16:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:20:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
So much for Bathhouse Barry's birth certificate.
View Quote
This, gone to the sands of Maui, and the flames of hell.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:34:43 AM EDT
[#40]
I remember years ago of seeing people fleeing a wild fire in their vehicle.
I believe it was in N. California or somewhere on the NW coast.
Terrifying.
I hope people had enough warning time to evaluate before the fire reached their areas.

Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:39:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Probably way too early to know but do they have any estimates of the death toll from this disaste?
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:47:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Probably way too early to know but do they have any estimates of the death toll from this disaste?
View Quote

I haven't seen an "estimate" on twitter, just the 6 reported, but you look at those pics and the fact people had to evac quickly I highly doubt that's an accurate number.

I've been in the basement for many a tornado, but man, those fire videos are scary as hell.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:53:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 12:58:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

It appears to be started by downed power lines caused by high winds (60mph+). I was there a few years ago and noticed that the fiber that feeds the whole north west part of the island runs along the highway, so that would explain why there is no landline or cell service in the area. (I'm a fiber guy, so I tend to notice these things wherever I go.)

https://twitter.com/HotshotWake/status/1689427979426779136

If you have instagram, check out this guys vids. You have to click on the round pic in the upper part of his page.
You can see phone lines whipping in the wind just before the entire pole line comes down.It's almost like they never heard of "wind loading".  It should be the first clip in his "story".

https://www.instagram.com/lei_dubzz/

Also, fuck the edgelords and miserable shitposters in this thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Someone may have said it already and I apologize for missing it but how did this fire start?

It appears to be started by downed power lines caused by high winds (60mph+). I was there a few years ago and noticed that the fiber that feeds the whole north west part of the island runs along the highway, so that would explain why there is no landline or cell service in the area. (I'm a fiber guy, so I tend to notice these things wherever I go.)

https://twitter.com/HotshotWake/status/1689427979426779136

If you have instagram, check out this guys vids. You have to click on the round pic in the upper part of his page.
You can see phone lines whipping in the wind just before the entire pole line comes down.It's almost like they never heard of "wind loading".  It should be the first clip in his "story".

https://www.instagram.com/lei_dubzz/

Also, fuck the edgelords and miserable shitposters in this thread.
Thank you for the info
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 1:06:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I'm not sure how much I buy that. And how many people passed her by before it got that bad? I will admit that I have never been in that situation and could easily be wrong, but if the outside air is that deadly, I would think that they are already fucked. I guess that gets back to my question about how much time did they have to get out before they got themselves in this situation?
View Quote
Looks like her car quit and she made it around 15ft before she died. Also note they are following other vehicles which also drove past the dead lady.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 1:08:05 AM EDT
[#46]

I’m amazed at how many brick and concrete structures went up in flame. A lot of old historic downtown Lahaina was stupidly old wood buildings many going back over a hundred years, in the pics with the harbor and the banyan tree, south or looking to the right of the old banyan tree was the elementary school i went to, brick buildings with metal roofs and it looks like fire took about every building, I’m sure wood framing and wall partitions went up but still surprising.

This picture I linked to the right is the old Hard Rock Cafe, my dad worked for a local construction company and when the building was built around 89
Or so, I walked in with my dad on a Friday afternoon, they had cut a hole roof to drop the Cadillac in that the bar was built around, I’m pretty sure most of all of those mall buildings were metal or at least not a lot of wood, this was one hell of a fire.

I’m also reading in this thread the Safeway in Lahaina went up in flames? I’m assuming the whole
Cannery mall as well? Just holy living shit
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 1:11:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I haven't seen an "estimate" on twitter, just the 6 reported, but you look at those pics and the fact people had to evac quickly I highly doubt that's an accurate number.

I've been in the basement for many a tornado, but man, those fire videos are scary as hell.
View Quote

Knowing that area, this is a little different than most of the us, a lot of big family’s in little old cane homes. 8-10 people is not uncommon from the older family’s hanging on, I’m giving a rough guess at 15k people loosing their homes, I wouldn’t be shocked to see a death toll hit 1k

This is also busy summer months for Maui, hotels are full, restaurants are popping, tourists don’t know what to do when shit gos south. This is gonna get real ugly
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 1:21:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This thread, and many other previous threads like it, is one of many reasons why I have not renewed my membership.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 1:40:10 AM EDT
[#49]
The devastation is just brutal. Like it was wiped off the map from an explosion. Such short warning.  The hurricane missed the island, but due to the pressure difference between it and the system north of the islands made the perfect storm of high winds right through Maui.  Had some friends lose absolutely everything except their lives.  It’s going to take a while to figure how how many lives were lost and the full extend of the damage.  It looks like the town is gone though…
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 1:43:38 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

This thread, and many other previous threads like it, is one of many reasons why I have not renewed my membership.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hopefully the membership will not be renewed for the leadership of Maui either.  Those dumbasses placed all kind of restrictions on short term rentals that paid for ADUs.  Now the dumbasses are begging for people to open up their rental and ADU properties to shelter the dispossessed, after they went out of their way to make it hell for people to have such accommodations in the first place.  It is very low IQ thinking to hamstring the housing you need to provide for your people during catastrophe, but the imbeciles in their government managed to do it.  "Must preserve the character of muh community, regulate the airbnbs!  Wait wait nevermind all our shit burned down, open up the rentals that we tried to fuck you over on!"  Fucking clowns should refund all the permitting and taxing fees they extorted out of the locals and apologize.

Hopefully this is a lesson to places with wildfire issues in general.  The sorry ass "character" of your community doesn't mean dick if your residents have nowhere to go when half the county burns down.  Y'all were so busy fucking over your fellow man you forgot him having an extra rental property on the side meant the senior citizen who's house was engulfed in flames may have a roof to sleep under and doesn't just mean you have to suffer the intolerable effect of gasp some haole taking a rest in your neighbor's ADU.
Page / 28
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top