BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 77
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 3:56:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Most cellular carriers comp the phone if you sign up for a contract, a decent pair of dress shoes costs $200, and a Venti Starbucks is ~$3.00.  For someone with useless luxury consumer goods as a name and an avatar, your reply is shockingly ignorant.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder if they completed the survey on their $1,000+ IPhone wearing $200 shoes while drinking an $8 Starbucks coffe?

Most cellular carriers comp the phone if you sign up for a contract, a decent pair of dress shoes costs $200, and a Venti Starbucks is ~$3.00.  For someone with useless luxury consumer goods as a name and an avatar, your reply is shockingly ignorant.

Pardon the slight correction, but,  Phones don’t cost less if you’re on a plan.    You just pay Monthly.  

Women and soy boys generally don’t just buy regular coffee.  Doesn’t work that way.    Starbucks is a Very profitable enterprise.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 4:01:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Holy fuck, no wonder you don't understand money.

Wealth IS income. It fucking prints it.
View Quote

This too.  There is a threshold where once you have a certain amount of money, it grows faster than you can spend it.  This threshold differs for different people's circumstances.  How much time and effort you want to spend managing it, how much do you want to be able to spend every month, etc.  

But there is definitely a certain amount of starter money where you can live comfortably your whole live without ever working, as long as you put the money to work instead of spending it.

Lotto winners go broke because they treat their winnings like a giant Chrismas bonus instead of a way to generate a consistent investment income.  

Hell if I had like 50 million I would dabble in recreational real estate development.  If I only had 5 million I would just buy a bunch of rentals while interest rates are low.  Then as inflation takes its inexorable toll, sell a couple in 10 years for much more than I paid, and then pay off a few so I get to pocket more of the rent.

It really is super easy to be rich if you already have a nice seed money bankroll.  Without it, we all just have to waste our lives toiling away.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 4:04:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I guess Millenials never figured out that their expectations are not realistic, and the secret to a good life is not being completely materialistic.
View Quote

About half of boomers have nothing saved for retirement and the median balance for those that have something saved is ~300k, which leaves them with ~12k yearly without social security.  That’s a completely realistic amount to retire on.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 4:19:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

About half of boomers have nothing saved for retirement and the median balance for those that have something saved is ~300k, which leaves them with ~12k yearly without social security.  That's a completely realistic amount to retire on.
View Quote
Live for today, and don't worry about tomorrow!

The Grass Roots - Let's Live For Today - [STEREO]

Link Posted: 2/6/2022 4:30:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Pardon the slight correction, but,  Phones don’t cost less if you’re on a plan.    You just pay Monthly.  

Women and soy boys generally don’t just buy regular coffee.  Doesn’t work that way.    Starbucks is a Very profitable enterprise.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder if they completed the survey on their $1,000+ IPhone wearing $200 shoes while drinking an $8 Starbucks coffe?

They do if you factor zero percent interest and inflation.  You may come out ahead in the long run if you pay the upfront price and use a cheaper carrier.  It depends how you work the math.

Either way, the entire post is stupid.  The average upgrade timeline is 25 months, good shoes are a necessity and last about that long, and a 3 dollar coffee every day costs you 1k a year.  500+500+1000=2000.  The annual inflation rate is 7% right now.  7% of 30k is $2,100.  Even if someone didn’t fritter away their paycheck on frivolous consumer bullshit, the economy just effectively added those expenses to their budget.  You can only tighten the budget so much before there’s nothing else left.

I say this as someone that’s benefited greatly from ballooning asset prices.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 6:06:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It really is super easy to be rich if...
View Quote

Lol. A wise old man once told me to never take financial advice from a poor man.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 7:02:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Right...gtfoh. Couldn’t think of a better group of füch-stains that need some suffering in their lives.

Mmmm...”feel the bern,” as they like to say. Payback’s a b.itch muh.ther.phüchers.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 7:45:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Queue The Rolling Stones “You can’t always get what you want”
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 8:50:18 AM EDT
[#9]
It is interesting how some people (here included, obviously) parrot the lie that all can achieve the same level of objective success. This simply isn't true. Ignoring individual chance and circumstance, the next limiting factor (and the true limiting factor) is simply that, for society to function as it does, there must be individuals who occupy roles in society that will not lead them to said level of objective success. As a correlate, in nature proper, there will always be those that are consumed due to no moral fault of their own; e.g., the fawn consumed by a predator. Man is not so far removed from pure nature that his existence is not an extension of "survival of the fittest" in jockeying for limited resources.

Nonetheless, the advice from otherwise-intelligent folks, is for every person to - essentially - "continually switch to better jobs", "gain knowledge", and "invest", as if such a mental thread is alone a lodestone for success for all individuals. Of course, it isn't, because - at a minimum - perseverance, chance, and ability are required to realize it. Obviously, some people are not capable of same (they do not possess the fortitude, abilities, or personality traits conducive to and/or required); in truth, this is simply natural selection at the level of human society - and it is seemingly unavoidable.

Moreover, on a more practical and basic level, constantly seeking a higher-paying job is only workable for certain occupations and can actually be quite detrimental to others (truly, some of those same people who parrot the line would denigrate others for doing so in another light). And, of course, the ultimate caveat is that life is finite; an individual has specific prime years for all sorts of things, such as physical ability, earning ability, etc.

However, most importantly - and to reiterate the true point made here - is that not everyone can be the "chief" and not everyone can be a medical doctor; there needs to be someone driving the garbage truck. Similarly, not everyone can be the successful investor, landlord, etc.; someone must be the unsuccessful consumer that the investment hinges on and someone must be the tenant.

Does any of this mean that there is an economic and/or governmental scheme that will lead to equal objective success for everyone? No. It is simply reality, the same reality that results in one organism consuming another for sustenance. The only possible respite is human altruism, of which is not necessarily the purpose of government, but of which the government is most assuredly poor at executing. Such a thing is best left to the community to provide to its own, on its own (e.g., the church, everyday human kindness, etc.).
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 8:53:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That’s only stocks.

There’s many other ways to develop wealth.

Real estate is one of those that goes directly counter to what you’re saying.  You only gain income off say, raw property by selling it.  In the meantime it’s simply costing you money via taxes and up keep.

This is literally business 101. Assets don’t always build income. But they can build wealth. My trucks for example, do nothing but burn money. I have over 100 CDL vehicles. They cost me millions of dollars a year to keep running, between fuel, maintenance, drivers wages, etc.

They, are not income producing assets. Otherwise, they would be taxed accordingly.

I make money off the goods I sell. If I could hire FedEx to deliver my shit, I would.  But they won’t / can’t do what I do. Thus, I have my own fleet that does it.

However, if I were to sell my company: they’re part of my net worth because they’re worth tens of millions of dollars.

Another example is your house. If you live in your house: it costs you money every day you live there. Taxes, utilities, up keep, etc.  you only make money on your house if you sell it properly. Otherwise, it’s your asset that could deprecate or appreciate depending on market conditions.
View Quote

Side note, I appreciate your posts.  You're one of the most contributory and pleasant posters on this site.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 9:00:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It is interesting how some people (here included, obviously) parrot the lie that all can achieve the same level of objective success.
View Quote

What would you consider objective success?
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 9:06:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It is interesting how some people (here included, obviously) parrot the lie that all can achieve the same level of objective success.

Slyfox never got the memo on "equality of outcome" vs. "equality of opportunity".  It's clear he doesn't have what it will take.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 9:08:27 AM EDT
[#13]
This montage, taken 100% from the first page explain everything we needed to know

Nothing is their fault, it’s everyone else’s fault.

Millennial is the generation that somehow, for whatever reason, was never taught any personal responsibility.

By the way…… I’m the oldest possible millennial, depending on whose definition you use. My generation is completely screwed, but I’m afraid it will only get worse.

Quoted:
Stop turning the economy off to save 85 years olds from a cold.
View Quote

Quoted:
Meanwhile, a bunch of boomers want to cap my pay…clearing poor decisions and planning..
View Quote

Quoted:
We grew up watching the boomer yuppies thinking that was normal and we'd get ours too when I'm actuality they were an anomaly.
View Quote

Quoted:
That is literally the more ignorant response that could possibly be posted.
Fitting for arfcom I guess.
View Quote

Quoted:
Ok boomer.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/6/2022 9:10:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

The actual measure is not important; the point is that not all can achieve the same level.

Perhaps the same level could be achieved if the level is set so low as to be undesirable; i.e., that the failed forms of government that are despised here beget. The best choice is the capitalist constitutional republic, of which will result in disparity, but nonetheless offers an overall higher quality of living than the alternative, for even those at the most disparate low end of the spectrum.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 9:10:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

"things" are much easier now than they ever were.

[...]

Ironically, if I could be born tomorrow, I do it.
View Quote
@KILLERB6, as you point out, the internet has indeed brought about technological advancement that has greatly improved nearly everybody's standard of living.

The thing you fail to point out is that it has also provided propagandists a conduit into the minds of smart phone users, most of whom are young and lack a) the ability to recognize propaganda, and b) the perspective to compare their experience of what goes on out in the world with what they're being told by the propagandists.  So, when they read stories from a propaganda campaign about how they'll never be able to own a home and achieve financial independence, they believe it and become demoralized (as are many in this thread).

I would argue that if you were born tomorrow, you might also fall prey to the propagandists.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 9:10:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Yes and no.
As a "millennial" I do see your point about wasting money on stupid expensive shit, which I avoid (except guns/ammo). But also the price of other things is killing us too.

Year over year inflation goes up, but my paycheck has not.
Alot of my coworkers (older and on 2nd jobs) hassle me for not having bought a house yet (trust me, we are trying).

But when I finally show them the market, the lack of homes for sale, and the ridiculously high prices for a house that's not completely trashed they start to get it.

I don't want much at this point in my life. I'd like a reasonable house in an acre or 2, and a 4dr truck that has under 100K miles.
I looked at a truck the other day for $30k. It had 100K miles and wholes I'm the body from rust.
The reality is we (millennials) cannot afford to live the same life styles that our parents lived (assuming same income levels adjusted for inflation).

That's just my thoughts on.
View Quote

My grandfather was able to raise a family of 8 on a single low skilled workers wage. They were definitely poor, but that would be impossible today.

The jobs available today to someone without a college degree are pretty shitty.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 9:11:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Slyfox never got the memo on "equality of outcome" vs. "equality of opportunity".  It's clear he doesn't have what it will take.
View Quote

You're wrong, in regards to both statements, as well as the point that was to be made.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 9:20:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This too.  There is a threshold where once you have a certain amount of money, it grows faster than you can spend it.  This threshold differs for different people's circumstances.  How much time and effort you want to spend managing it, how much do you want to be able to spend every month, etc.  

But there is definitely a certain amount of starter money where you can live comfortably your whole live without ever working, as long as you put the money to work instead of spending it.

Lotto winners go broke because they treat their winnings like a giant Chrismas bonus instead of a way to generate a consistent investment income.  

Hell if I had like 50 million I would dabble in recreational real estate development.  If I only had 5 million I would just buy a bunch of rentals while interest rates are low.  Then as inflation takes its inexorable toll, sell a couple in 10 years for much more than I paid, and then pay off a few so I get to pocket more of the rent.

It really is super easy to be rich if you already have a nice seed money bankroll.  Without it, we all just have to waste our lives toiling away.
View Quote

You mean like a getting small $1,000,000 loan from your Dad like Donald?
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 9:21:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This montage, taken 100% from the first page explain everything we needed to know

Millennial is the generation that somehow, for whatever reason, was never taught any personal responsibility.

By the way…… I’m the oldest possible millennial, depending on whose definition you use. My generation is completely screwed, but I’m afraid it will only get worse.
View Quote

You're right, we need more lock downs. Hopefully you volunteer to give up your job or business first.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 9:32:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Interesting!  I know at least three (3) millennials:  one graduated from Air Force academy and is now a V22 pilot, one has a Master degree in Data science thing and is making 6 figures income,  one is a doctor with his own practice now.

They might be an exception, but for sure , NO ONE handed them anything....!
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 9:40:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Skipped the generational food fight for the past 15 pages.

There is no denying that the purchasing power of a boomers dollar went much farther then than it does now. Wage and inflation unhooked from each other around the early 70’s. By mid eighties the massive suburban growth and rise of the McMansions was in full swing.

Now, a family’s second or third home (after selling starter home) costs 500k-700k new construction.

Half million ain’t what it used to be.

I agree, as a younger gen xer, millennials are pissing away money through consumerism, although a 1,000 iPhone doesn’t compare to the cost of a 4,000 home pc in 80’s early 90’s. At least iPhone goes with you and doesn’t take much power.

Basically if a young person now could save about 27-28 dollars a day on average, in 4 years they would have enough for a 10-20% down payment on a respectable home in a good school district.

Link Posted: 2/6/2022 9:42:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Interesting!  I know at least three (3) millennials:  one graduated from Air Force academy and is now a V22 pilot, one has a Master degree in Data science thing and is making 6 figures income,  one is a doctor with his own practice now.

View Quote

They did get handed the intelligence to be able to become pilots and doctors, a natural ability that many people weren’t lucky enough to be given. I’m sure they worked hard for it, but I doubt they were testing in the 50% range on standardized tests.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 9:43:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You're wrong, in regards to both statements, as well as the point that was to be made.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, you're wrong.  Nobody is saying everyone "can" achieve that supposed objective level of success. The opportunity is there, however, for everyone to try.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 9:45:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

They did get handed the intelligence to be able to become pilots and doctors, a natural ability that many people weren’t lucky enough to be given.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They did get handed the intelligence to be able to become pilots and doctors, a natural ability that many people weren’t lucky enough to be given.

So, no one should have to live a below average lifestyle?
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 9:46:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

In 8 years of making 7 figures, I would have a lot more than 2 million.  And as I said, it would be in rental properties that generate passive income, along with stocks that pay well.

You are assuming that someone with 5 million dollars has to join the country club and buy a 100k truck every 3 years.  I'm talking about staying in a modest house and not increasing my expenditures, just quitting my job after I have enough passive income to do so.  I figure 8 years of a million dollar + income would be enough to set me up with enough rentals to stop working and spend more time pursuing my hobbies and still cover my living expenses.
View Quote

The problem with that statement is that the studies that have been done show that most people spend what they make. If your making 7 figures your not living in a modest house. You are buying new vehicles.  All because you can.  It's easy to say I wouldn't until your in that position.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 9:47:22 AM EDT
[#26]
My fervent prayer is that I’ll live to see the day that media will ignore the Millennial generation no matter how much they drama queen their way into the limelight whining about how unfair life has been to them.

Yes there are stellar examples of Millennials out there, I know several examples. I also know a bunch that think Netflix, Starbucks, and dinner and drinks with the friends three times a week are Basic Human Rights and it’s just not fair that older generations are keeping them from fulfilling their destiny to do nothing and be richly rewarded for it.

We can debate on who made them this way, but reality should have provided a wake-up call that got them motivated… yet whenever they have had an opportunity to wake up, they dig in deeper.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 9:47:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The problem with that statement is that the studies that have been done show that most people spend what they make. If your making 7 figures your not living in a modest house. You are buying new vehicles.  All because you can.  It's easy to say I wouldn't until your in that position.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In 8 years of making 7 figures, I would have a lot more than 2 million.  And as I said, it would be in rental properties that generate passive income, along with stocks that pay well.

You are assuming that someone with 5 million dollars has to join the country club and buy a 100k truck every 3 years.  I'm talking about staying in a modest house and not increasing my expenditures, just quitting my job after I have enough passive income to do so.  I figure 8 years of a million dollar + income would be enough to set me up with enough rentals to stop working and spend more time pursuing my hobbies and still cover my living expenses.

Cite please. What study shows that people making 7 figures spend most of what they make? Besides which, a person making 7 figures could spend most of what they bring home, and still save way more than most people would ever be able to.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 9:51:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

And you agree with th govt capping someone's pay?  That's the hill you want to die on?  
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/6/2022 9:52:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Basically if a young person now could save about 27-28 dollars a day on average, in 4 years they would have enough for a 10-20% down payment on a respectable home in a good school district.

View Quote

I have just used my time machine to travel back to 2018 to tell young people planning to do just this what is about to happen and they’re not too happy.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 9:54:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

So, no one should have to live a below average lifestyle?
View Quote

Americans are correctly fearful that for the first time in a long time, their kids standard of living is going to be lower than theirs. I think that’s a major problem, and that doesn’t change just because there are successful millennials.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 9:55:02 AM EDT
[#31]
My dad and I had a conversation not too long ago about the push for a $15 minimum wage. He said it was ridiculous that “burger flippers and baristas” wanted $15 an hour, and started talking about how much more that was than when he started working.

So I asked him how much he made and what year it was when he got his first job, plugged it into an inflation calculator, and guess what: he was making over $18 an hour in today’s money.

Don’t get me wrong, the average millennial is insufferable, but the math doesn’t lie. Wages today don’t provide people with the same purchasing power that previous generations had, it’s not even close. Wages are stagnant, but housing prices, education, even food and other basic goods cost much more now than they did even 20 years ago.

The average GD poster is pretty bad at math other than “get both” and “87” though, which explains the cookie-cutter “muh Starbucks” “muh iPhone” “muh avocado toast” comments from the geezers.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 9:58:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Nobody is saying everyone "can" achieve that supposed objective level of success.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Nobody is saying everyone "can" achieve that supposed objective level of success.

That may be true here in this topic (I must admit I did not read all 15 pages). However, my post was specifically about such an assertion.

Quoted:
The opportunity is there, however, for everyone to try.

Which is why American society (as intended) is/was the best to date.

Regardless, that does not negate anything I stated, in that the reality is the results will be as they are.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 9:59:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The average American treats moving like some unobtainable or impossible task. Move somewhere more affordable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes and no.
As a "millennial" I do see your point about wasting money on stupid expensive shit, which I avoid (except guns/ammo). But also the price of other things is killing us too.

Year over year inflation goes up, but my paycheck has not.
Alot of my coworkers (older and on 2nd jobs) hassle me for not having bought a house yet (trust me, we are trying).

But when I finally show them the market, the lack of homes for sale, and the ridiculously high prices for a house that's not completely trashed they start to get it.

I don't want much at this point in my life. I'd like a reasonable house in an acre or 2, and a 4dr truck that has under 100K miles.
I looked at a truck the other day for $30k. It had 100K miles and wholes I'm the body from rust.
The reality is we (millennials) cannot afford to live the same life styles that our parents lived (assuming same income levels adjusted for inflation).

That's just my thoughts on.

The average American treats moving like some unobtainable or impossible task. Move somewhere more affordable.

I moved 600 miles across state lines last year. It was expensive and difficult to coordinate even despite selling off a sizable portion of our furniture and possessions. Our children were (still are) little so we felt if we didn’t just pull the plug and go, we never would.

It’s been hell in a new place with a minimal family support network. Getting better as we meet people and explore the area but it’s been tough.

I can see why people hesitate to move and it isn’t just about the money.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 10:07:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It is interesting how some people (here included, obviously) parrot the lie that all can achieve the same level of objective success. This simply isn't true. Ignoring individual chance and circumstance, the next limiting factor (and the true limiting factor) is simply that, for society to function as it does, there must be individuals who occupy roles in society that will not lead them to said level of objective success. As a correlate, in nature proper, there will always be those that are consumed due to no moral fault of their own; e.g., the fawn consumed by a predator. Man is not so far removed from pure nature that his existence is not an extension of "survival of the fittest" in jockeying for limited resources.

Nonetheless, the advice from otherwise-intelligent folks, is for every person to - essentially - "continually switch to better jobs", "gain knowledge", and "invest", as if such a mental thread is alone a lodestone for success for all individuals. Of course, it isn't, because - at a minimum - perseverance, chance, and ability are required to realize it. Obviously, some people are not capable of same (they do not possess the fortitude, abilities, or personality traits conducive to and/or required); in truth, this is simply natural selection at the level of human society - and it is seemingly unavoidable.

Moreover, on a more practical and basic level, constantly seeking a higher-paying job is only workable for certain occupations and can actually be quite detrimental to others (truly, some of those same people who parrot the line would denigrate others for doing so in another light). And, of course, the ultimate caveat is that life is finite; an individual has specific prime years for all sorts of things, such as physical ability, earning ability, etc.

However, most importantly - and to reiterate the true point made here - is that not everyone can be the "chief" and not everyone can be a medical doctor; there needs to be someone driving the garbage truck. Similarly, not everyone can be the successful investor, landlord, etc.; someone must be the unsuccessful consumer that the investment hinges on and someone must be the tenant.

Does any of this mean that there is an economic and/or governmental scheme that will lead to equal objective success for everyone? No. It is simply reality, the same reality that results in one organism consuming another for sustenance. The only possible respite is human altruism, of which is not necessarily the purpose of government, but of which the government is most assuredly poor at executing. Such a thing is best left to the community to provide to its own, on its own (e.g., the church, everyday human kindness, etc.).
View Quote

Quite true. My boomer parents had a common saying for that, "life is not fair, get over it" and  "if you dont like it, do something about it".

I am blessed to be a part of a generation that said "fuck you". I always thought that was a bad attitude. But it did reflect independence and the anger that would drive some to success DESPITE THE CHALLENGES.

There will always be winners and losers, some of that you cant control. But by God at least have the balls to control what you can.

Link Posted: 2/6/2022 10:11:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Americans are correctly fearful that for the first time in a long time, their kids standard of living is going to be lower than theirs. I think that’s a major problem, and that doesn’t change just because there are successful millennials.
View Quote

What it shows is that it might not be the environment. Milennials that made good choices and pursued quality decisions have the highest quality of life that any generation has ever had.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 10:11:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My dad and I had a conversation not too long ago about the push for a $15 minimum wage. He said it was ridiculous that “burger flippers and baristas” wanted $15 an hour, and started talking about how much more that was than when he started working.

So I asked him how much he made and what year it was when he got his first job, plugged it into an inflation calculator, and guess what: he was making over $18 an hour in today’s money.

Don’t get me wrong, the average millennial is insufferable, but the math doesn’t lie. Wages today don’t provide people with the same purchasing power that previous generations had, it’s not even close. Wages are stagnant, but housing prices, education, even food and other basic goods cost much more now than they did even 20 years ago.

The average GD poster is pretty bad at math other than “get both” and “87” though, which explains the cookie-cutter “muh Starbucks” “muh iPhone” “muh avocado toast” comments from the geezers.
View Quote

The major difference is, in those days those wages were considered starter jobs or jobs for college kids. Now (not just a Millennial thing) we have people who think mashing picture buttons on a register at Burger King is a “front line worker job” and deserves to be able to make a career and house/car/college/boat payments out of it.

That’s got to be recognized in all this. The “but I work suuuuuper hard at my shit job, I should make as much as you do!” Mentality is another straw that will break our backs.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 10:15:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
No, you're wrong.
View Quote

I am hesitant to address this, as it will likely cause you to be more antagonistic than you already were, but I nonetheless believe it important to make it clear what I meant by the post you responded to with the statement above.

While I may be wrong in regards to my post, the reasons you were wrong in your response to my post are quite different. On a factual level, you incorrectly stated that I do not understand the difference between the two concepts you mentioned - but I do. You also stated I am an incapable individual in the vein of the topic at hand - yet I am. Moreover, you were wrong "morally" (if that is the proper term) for the way in which you replied, by way of making pretentious presumptions. This is no big deal of course - I just thought I should clarify what I meant by "you're wrong."
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 10:21:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The major difference is, in those days those wages were considered starter jobs or jobs for college kids. Now (not just a Millennial thing) we have people who think mashing picture buttons on a register at Burger King is a “front line worker job” and deserves to be able to make a career and house/car/college/boat payments out of it.

That’s got to be recognized in all this. The “but I work suuuuuper hard at my shit job, I should make as much as you do!” Mentality is another straw that will break our backs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don’t know, I’m torn on that one. On the one hand yeah, I agree with you that Burger King isn’t exactly a super lucrative career and you shouldn’t expect to buy a 3 bedroom house while you’re working there.

On the other hand, just because it isn’t being a rocket scientist or a doctor or whatever doesn’t mean the job or the worker is useless. I very much enjoy being able to get a burger, fries, and coke in under 5 minutes when I’m in a rush. Even when I’m not in a rush I appreciate being able to get that food without having to do all the labor involved myself. There’s lots of little hidden luxuries like that: being served at a restaurant or bar, being helped at a store to find something so I don’t waste an hour looking for it myself, having coffee made for me with high end espresso machines I’d never personally invest in for my home using recipes I’d never memorize. All of that is valuable work that directly elevates my quality of life, and I think it’s weird that our government (and by result, corporations) can say with a straight face that $7.25 is the same amount of money now as it was almost 20 years ago when the minimum wage was last updated.

“Society needs ditch diggers” is the simplest way to put it. Just because it’s a shit job doesn’t mean it deserves shit pay intrinsically.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 10:22:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Right...gtfoh. Couldn’t think of a better group of füch-stains that need some suffering in their lives.

Mmmm...”feel the bern,” as they like to say. Payback’s a b.itch muh.ther.phüchers.
View Quote

I think you're missing why so many in the Millennial generation were feeling the Bern, and why many more will be heading in that direction.

The popularity of Bernie Sanders among Millennials is in no small part due to his promises to cancel student loan debt, which is crippling the Millennial generation. There's an entire generation that thinks they got the shaft by following the advice of those who went before them. Right or wrong, perception is reality and it will inform their voting behavior going forward. There will be a large percentage of the Millennial generation who will easily be bought off by any charismatic politician who promises to solve one of their biggest issues, student loan debt.s Ignore their complaints to your own peril, because this is an issue that isn't going to go away and it will only get worse.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 10:22:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 10:24:02 AM EDT
[#41]
??????
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 10:26:03 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 10:28:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
i'd say that at least a part of that is because millenials have been taught from birth that happiness is the result of consumption.
View Quote

And the answer to how much is enough, is always more…
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 10:30:29 AM EDT
[#44]
What a crock of shit. Fucking troll. All because  boomers got social security rammed down their throat, whether they wanted it or not. Amirite?
Of course the generation s that came after are the most fiscally responsible on the planet.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 10:30:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You're right, we need more lock downs. Hopefully you volunteer to give up your job or business first.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My job (I’m the owner) is lockdown proof. In fact revenue went up during the “lockdowns”. Plus I live in a free state, so we never were really locked down.

You’re not a tree. If where you are isn’t working for you, move.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 10:33:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

My job (I’m the owner) is lockdown proof. In fact revenue went up during the “lockdowns”. Plus I live in a free state, so we never were really locked down.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I consider myself fortunate in that, while they cut some of the work or delayed it, the government can't just shut down utilities and kill electricity and gas. THAT would have caused a revolt in about the time it takes for everyone's cell phone to die.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 10:33:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

You forgot to include while finishing their masters degree in modern interpretive dance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You forgot to include while finishing their masters degree in modern interpretive dance.

I think you were going for Masters degree in Art studies with a minor in ancient clay pottery.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 10:38:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 10:40:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My job is lockdown proof as well, but the industries that support us aren't. I don't really think moving will stock the warehouses with truck parts, if I'm wrong let me know.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 10:50:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Might as well when a pick up is $90,000, an acre of land is tens of thousands dollars more than it was a few years ago, snd a house is absolutely out of reach.
View Quote

Just don't buy the $1,000 iphone and your problems are solved.  $1,000 is the same amount of money as $90,000.
Page / 77
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top