Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 12:31:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 12:35:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It has happened before.  I watched a video earlier (Viva Frei with attorney Robert Barnes) where it was mentioned that judicial history is not all that great an indicator of how a judge will rule upon gaining the Supreme Court (after all, one of the things a judge has to consider when at the district or appellate level is precedent and being overruled by a higher court, neither of which hold any weight once you get to the Supreme Court).  Barnes suggested that "life history," such as whether they grew up in "old money" etc., were much more reliable in predicting philosophy once on the Supreme Court, at least as far as previously "conservative" justices went (it seems to me that very few conservatives would suppress that tendency throughout a career of wildly liberal rulings, while the opposite appears to be more widespread).

Mike
ETA:  This is for new appointees - while a justice might shift their philosophy over a career on the Supreme Court, I wouldn't expect a sudden reversal (except for Roberts, who seems to flip a coin at times to decide which side of a case to come down on, and even contradict his own previous opinions).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bets on what lifelong conservative justice will suddenly become a reliable leftist vote?

It has happened before.  I watched a video earlier (Viva Frei with attorney Robert Barnes) where it was mentioned that judicial history is not all that great an indicator of how a judge will rule upon gaining the Supreme Court (after all, one of the things a judge has to consider when at the district or appellate level is precedent and being overruled by a higher court, neither of which hold any weight once you get to the Supreme Court).  Barnes suggested that "life history," such as whether they grew up in "old money" etc., were much more reliable in predicting philosophy once on the Supreme Court, at least as far as previously "conservative" justices went (it seems to me that very few conservatives would suppress that tendency throughout a career of wildly liberal rulings, while the opposite appears to be more widespread).

Mike
ETA:  This is for new appointees - while a justice might shift their philosophy over a career on the Supreme Court, I wouldn't expect a sudden reversal (except for Roberts, who seems to flip a coin at times to decide which side of a case to come down on, and even contradict his own previous opinions).

Barnes is right. And consider the degree of selection bias we're up against;
-Harvard education generally required (leftist indoctrination, and either wealthy or beholden to backers)
-Lifetime of judicial service generally required (government worker from cradle to grave)
-Must appeal to individual politicians to achieve office, for many positions (favors pandering dick suckers)
-"Conservative" district courts will tend to not have as many opportunities to weigh in on conservative issues (no AWBs in Texas to strike down, for example) so determining their mindset is harder
-Must live, work, and appeal to senators in DC to serve on SCOTUS; this is perhaps even more leftist peer pressure than they felt in Hah-vahd.

It's a damn miracle we EVER find a guy like Thomas who is stubborn enough to resist.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 12:40:15 PM EDT
[#3]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Breyer is also 82.

If we get ANOTHER nomination?

Oh boy hang on to your tits.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/temp-96.gif

Thomas & Sotomayor could go any day.  Imagine if Joe manages to take office with two immediate appointments, or Trump with a DNC senate to contend with?

I should think we're learning lessons all over, about justices staying past their expiration date.  There needs to be an age limit of 75 or something.  If for no other reason we may be on the cusp of clinical immortality where justices could serve for a century or more.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 12:41:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Kennedy could do that as the swing vote.  Without a swing his moderation efforts are not required to maintain the majority opinion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He'll begin siding with the majority but attempting to moderate the opinion to reduce its impact.

Just. Like. Kennedy.  Never forget how he fucked us with his contributions to Heller.

Kennedy could do that as the swing vote.  Without a swing his moderation efforts are not required to maintain the majority opinion.

The justices all collaborate on their opinions, that's why.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 12:43:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Roberts is terrified of making lasting decisions and loves being the 'swing' vote.

After the current vacancy is filled, 5-1-3 is more accurate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
6/3? You think Roberts is on the right?

Roberts is terrified of making lasting decisions and loves being the 'swing' vote.

After the current vacancy is filled, 5-1-3 is more accurate.

Something "swing" is probably what the Dems have on him.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 12:47:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Aka cunt nugget who got his peepee slapped by biden in the debates
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who the heck is mr. Ryan you refer to

Aka cunt nugget who got his peepee slapped by biden in the debates

Not really.  Ryan's a tool, but Biden was fucking transparent as an arrogant idiot to anyone with a brain.  He giggled and interrupted like a class clown the entire time.  Some may see that as "alpha" behavior but I see those tactics as indicative of cowardly incompetence; otherwise he'd refute his opponent like a man.  Trump was a crass asshole, but he did generally address his opponent's points and the moderator's questions between taunts.

Especially when Ryan is a fitness nut who could dropkick Joe's geezer ass for such rudeness if it weren't for the restrictions they'd agreed to.  The bully act Joe always uses is just pathetic, and the Ryan debate was no different.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 12:49:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Over 200 judges confirmed.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/22/2020 12:50:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If he gets this done he will forever be remembered for it, actual legacy that my kids will be taught in school about.
View Quote

Not in public school.  The Communists control that.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 1:18:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Breyer is also 82.

If we get ANOTHER nomination?

Oh boy hang on to your tits.
View Quote

Ooo, what if we can replace Breyer, allow Thomas to retire and influence the choice of his replacement, then find the blackmail that’s being used against Roberts and instead use it to force him to retire.  That sounds like an appropriately solid 7-2!
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 1:21:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Not really.  Ryan's a tool, but Biden was fucking transparent as an arrogant idiot to anyone with a brain.  He giggled and interrupted like a class clown the entire time.  Some may see that as "alpha" behavior but I see those tactics as indicative of cowardly incompetence; otherwise he'd refute his opponent like a man.  Trump was a crass asshole, but he did generally address his opponent's points and the moderator's questions between taunts.

Especially when Ryan is a fitness nut who could dropkick Joe's geezer ass for such rudeness if it weren't for the restrictions they'd agreed to.  The bully act Joe always uses is just pathetic, and the Ryan debate was no different.
View Quote

Oh 100%. He did the same shit to Thomas Sowell a decade or two before.

Ryan should have taken that to the bank when the house senate and wh were under R control but he squandered it and retired.

Link Posted: 9/22/2020 3:15:13 PM EDT
[#11]
If Trump nominated a man, there'd be such a delay in the confirmation as the Dems (I'm sure) already have a legion of willing parties ready to come forth with claims of sexual harassment much like they did to Kavanaugh.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 3:25:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If Trump nominated a man, there'd be such a delay in the confirmation as the Dems (I'm sure) already have a legion of willing parties ready to come forth with claims of sexual harassment much like they did to Kavanaugh.
View Quote

That’s why you take it right to the floor for the vote....don’t hold stupid committee hearings
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 3:30:19 PM EDT
[#13]

I'll take 5/4 all day long if that's the vote.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 3:39:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 4:03:16 PM EDT
[#15]

That's a huge mitch!
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top