Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Posted: 9/26/2019 1:24:10 PM EDT
edit 16 deaths already
Two deaths associated with the nation's outbreak of vaping-related illnesses have been announced in New Jersey and in Virginia on Tuesday, bringing the total death toll to 16.

One victim was an adult female from northern New Jersey while the other victim was an adult from the southwest region of Virginia. Virginia state officials did not release additional information about the victim who died in Greensboro, North Carolina, on Sept. 26.
View Quote
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/vaping/vaping-death-toll-rises-texas-m-bans-vaping-e-cigarettes-n1060991?yptr=yahoo

edit Now up to 15. Retroactively classified a death in May in Nebraska as a vape death.

edit Now a 12th victim, and 805 cases as of 9/29/2019
Pew resurfaced these charts and figures as the death toll stemming from vaping-related breathing illness hit 12 on Thursday, the CDC reported, along with 805 confirmed or probable cases of the mysterious illness that has stricken the nation.
View Quote
OP
-----------
Two more people have died from a severe lung illness linked to vaping, bringing the total number of deaths in the U.S. to 11. The 10th victim was in Georgia and the 11th was in Florida. While the Georgia patient had a history of heavy e-cigarette use, doctors said the patient didn't vape THC, the active ingredient in marijuana.

No information regarding the individual who died in Florida has been made available by the Florida Department of Health.

Out of the 530 cases, the CDC has analyzed 373 and determined that that two-thirds of people with severe lung illnesses, or 67 percent are 18 to 34 years old, and 16 percent are under 18.  The majority, 72 percent, are male. The CDC said symptoms include cough, shortness of breath, fatigue, chest pain, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. These worsen over time.
View Quote
At the business end of things, Altria and Philip Morris International said Wednesday that they were calling off merger talks a month after floating a deal that would have created the world's largest tobacco company.

The makers of Marlboro cigarettes said last month that they were in discussions to become a single company, more than a decade after splitting into two as lawsuits mounted.

Altria has exclusively sold Marlboro cigarettes and other tobacco brands in the US, while Philip Morris has handled international sales.
View Quote
TIMELINE OF THE ELEVEN VAPING DEATHS IN THE US

FIRST VICTIM
An Illinois man said to be using e-cigarettes to smoke THC died on August 24 after his lungs failed when he developed a mystery lung illness.

SECOND VICTIM
The second person to die after vaping was a 'middle-aged' Oregon resident.

They were said to have recently started using an e-cigarette containing cannabis oil from a legal dispensary and passed away sometime at the end of August.

THIRD VICTIM
A third victim in Indiana passed away from the mysterious lung disease in August.

The patient was described only as 'elderly' and little else is known about them.

FOURTH VICTIM
The fourth victim, a 65-year-old man, died sometime in August but his death wasn't confirmed until September 6.

Minnesota officials said the patient had been using the electronic devices to smoke THC.

FIFTH VICTIM
A 55-year-old man from Los Angeles was the fifth person to lose his life after smoking the e-cigarettes. He died on September 7.

SIXTH VICTIM
A woman in her fifties was the sixth person to succumb to vaping-related illnesses.

The Kansas-born woman, who had a history of health problems, passed away on September 12.

SEVENTH VICTIM
A California man became the seventh person to pass away after using the devices. The 40-year-old from Tulare County died on September 17.

EIGHTH VICTIM  
The Missouri man in his forties became the eighth victim to die from vaping.

He had normal lung function until he started using the devices in May.

The victim began experiencing trouble breathing which gradually got worse before he was taken to hospital in St Louis on August 22. He passed away on September 19.

NINTH VICTIM
A man in his fifties became the second Kansas resident to die to the vaping-related illness.

He was said to be a regular vaper who had 'underlying health issues'. He passed on September 24.

TENTH VICTIM
Georgia identified the state's first death from a vaping-associated illness.

The patient had a history of heavy nicotine vaping, but no reported history of vaping THC, the active ingredient in marijuana.

ELEVENTH VICTIM
No information regarding the individual who died in Florida has been made available by the Florida Department of Health
View Quote
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7505835/Tenth-vaping-death-reported-U-S-latest-fatality-revealed-nicotine-vaper.html
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 1:26:29 PM EDT
[#1]
11!

Link Posted: 9/26/2019 1:30:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm gonna make a prediction here. I'm thinking its because the less than whole smoke is worse than whole smoke. As bad as smoking pot and tobacco are, vaping it appears worse. It does not activate the same genetic expressions

Shown are the expression levels of HMOX1 and CYP1A1, two biomarkers of smoke exposure, in HBE cells under different exposure treatments and times. AT, air treated control, MSS, mainstream smoke treated, EV0, e-vapor (0?mg/ml nicotine)-treated, EV16, e-vapor (16?mg/ml nicotine)-treated. Values presented are FPKM.
View Quote
https://www.nature.com/articles/srep23984

and with marijuana whole vs partial (ie could extrapolate to vape), I addressed it here https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Vaping-criminal-probe-launched-as-mystery-illness-reaches-530/5-2256873/&r=81117506&dlnk=1#i81117506

edit probably a failure of p53 activation in vape, that activates in whole smoke. p53 repairs dna damage and causes cell apoptosis if needed.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 1:32:41 PM EDT
[#3]
So 2 people out of millions. I dont count the old people that died as they probably smoked already for 30 years before vaping.

Still less than tobacco and alcohol. I don't see 4 month bans on those; I wonder why.

Edit: I have never used tobacco in my life.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 1:35:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I still think this is directly related to people using oils instead of glycol.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 1:37:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 1:38:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Up to eleven? Is this over the last 30 minutes, or...?
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 1:38:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm gonna make a prediction here. I'm thinking its because the less than whole smoke is worse than whole smoke. As bad as smoking pot and tobacco are, vaping it appears worse. It does not activate the same genetic expressions

https://i.postimg.cc/c4R5X3fP/41598-2016-Article-BFsrep23984-Fig4-HTML.jpg

and with marijuana whole vs partial (ie could extrapolate to vape), I addressed it here https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Vaping-criminal-probe-launched-as-mystery-illness-reaches-530/5-2256873/&r=81117506&dlnk=1#i81117506

edit probably a failure of p53 activation in vape, that activates in whole smoke. p53 repairs dna damage and causes cell apoptosis if needed.
View Quote
Mind explaining the other millions of vape users that have been vaping for years without issue?

This is for posterity, fairly sure hes got me on ignore.

Kinda funny that just now suddenly cases appear. What changed? Explain that with the scientific method, hint it involves another variable

In one of the other threads 84% of those that died had admitted to using thc vape. Bets on the other 16% did use it but didn't admit to it?

Eta: there is no smoke in vape, no combustion= no smoke= none of your quoted crap
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 1:38:48 PM EDT
[#9]
How many people, usually kids, drown in pools everyday?
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 1:38:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Cigarette smoking is responsible for more than 480,000 deaths per year in the United States

LET'S BAN VAPING!
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 1:39:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
I think this is also likely.  The amount of detailed forensic information being disclosed is pathetically low.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 1:40:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Just saying, based on sample size alone compared to total vape users 11 deaths is meaningless. Tell me when it gets to a statistically significant number. And that’s assuming these 11 are even due to vapes and not any other myriad of possible illnesses.

ETA never have a never will vape or smoke but I don’t care if someone does and think this is silly.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 1:40:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Falling coconuts kill 150 people each year. Just sayin, coconuts are at least 10x worse than vaping.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 1:41:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Cigarette smoking is responsible for more than 480,000 deaths per year in the United States

LET'S BAN VAPING!
View Quote
Whoa now, that won't solve the problem.

We ought to just ban and confiscate lungs. No lungs, no lung issues.

Problem solved, problem staying solved.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 1:41:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Self regulating problem.  Like heroin/fentynal users.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 1:43:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Self regulating problem.  Like heroin/fentynal users.
View Quote
Yep. Totally the same thing.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 1:44:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Coincidence, a bad batch of an ingredient from somewhere, a specific food grade flavoring that doesn't react well to being vaporized and inhaled, a previously unknown allergy to a specific food grade flavoring or something along those lines maybe?

Given how many use these devices, one would think if there was a major issue you would have thousands, if not tens of thousands of people sick or dead.

Reading the very basic details reminds me of how the media reports on influenza deaths. The number is the sizzle but when you dig into the facts you find things like age, pre-existing health issues and the like behind the majority.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 1:44:26 PM EDT
[#18]
So say we only get 100 deaths per year, isn't that an acceptable risk?

Look at alcohol, tobacco, and even owning deadly fists and feet!
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 1:44:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Mind explaining the other millions of vape users that have been vaping for years without issue?

This is for posterity, fairly sure hes got me on ignore.

Kinda funny that just now suddenly cases appear. What changed? Explain that with the scientific method, hint it involves another variable

In one of the other threads 84% of those that died had admitted to using thc vape. Bets on the other 16% did use it but didn't admit to it?

Eta: there is no smoke in vape, no combustion= no smoke= none of your quoted crap
View Quote
Widespread use of vape, and people switching entirely over to vape products and cutting out smoking. That's why we're seeing all these cases all of the sudden IMO

I'm saying the lack of whole smoke is the problem with vape. See how its not triggering the "smoke" genes in the graph I posted? Diid you check out the link to the study where it shows vape nicotine has a different genetic profile reaction than "mainstream smoke" (what the study calls it aka regular cigarette smoke).
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 1:45:48 PM EDT
[#20]
I would like to know how they differentiated people that died from vaping and people that vape who died.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 1:47:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Falling coconuts kill 150 people each year. Just sayin, coconuts are at least 10x worse than vaping.
View Quote
Coconuts aren't causing tobacco tax revenues to plummet, settlement bonds to be underfunded and leading millions down a path to permanently ending their tobacco addiction.

That is why vaping is a crisis and govt will move with unusual swiftness and in a heavy handed fashion.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 1:48:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Remember when eating raw cookie dough was banned because one person died?  Me too
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 1:48:54 PM EDT
[#23]
0.0000036% of the US population died of vaping.

Oh teh noes
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 1:49:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Remember when an entire industry had to retool to add tamper resistant seals to their products when seven people dies in Chicago from poisoned Tylenol? Me too
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 1:49:51 PM EDT
[#25]
its sad how big of a deal they are really trying to make this.

its on every local news channel, morning evening and night.

freaking 11 people, give me a break.....
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 1:50:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Remember when Al Capone got sick from unpasteurized milk and got the government to mandate pasteurization? Me too
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 1:51:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
its sad how big of a deal they are really trying to make this.

its on every local news channel, morning evening and night.

freaking 11 people, give me a break.....
View Quote
What a joke!
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 1:56:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

LET'S BAN VAPING!
View Quote
There's tax on cigarettes and big tobacco knows who to bribe .
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 1:56:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Follow the money.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 1:58:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
Possibly

Or it’s the gross overuse (and misuse) of the product. A product that was never intended to be used by people who didn’t have a nicotine habit, but introduced an a cessation aid. Starting vaping is about as retarded as taking up chewing nicotine gum or slapping a bunch of nic patches all of your body.

And then there are the “mod boxes” and such which produce a lot more vapor than was ever intended. And people sit there and take drags off these things every 2-3 breaths and then complain about health problems.

No shit, Sherlock
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 2:03:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Widespread use of vape, and people switching entirely over to vape products and cutting out smoking. That's why we're seeing all these cases all of the sudden IMO

I'm saying the lack of whole smoke is the problem with vape. See how its not triggering the "smoke" genes in the graph I posted? Diid you check out the link to the study where it shows vape nicotine has a different genetic profile reaction than "mainstream smoke" (what the study calls it aka regular cigarette smoke).
View Quote
Quite surprised I'm not on ignore yet.

The point years ago was to stop smoking and switch exclusively to vaping. That's literally the point. Are you saying all of those people were/are closeted cigarette smokers, and all of these dead kids are vaping exclusively?

Your being intellectually dishonest not admitting theres another variable. Bad batch of oil possibly, but theirs no oil in nic juice, that's strictly a thc thing. Thc must be suspended in something for it to be a liquid.

Edit to add epiphany: now that I think of it isn't thc a crystalline substance. Its suspended in oil to hit. Smoking a crystalline substance changes its form to vapor through combustion, literally smoke. Vaping is not combustion, what happens when you heat a crystalline substance to liquid or gaseous form, and recool it? Returns to crystalline form. There ya go theres your answer.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 2:05:29 PM EDT
[#32]
So we have 11 people in A month - with roughly -0- people in the preceding 120 months.  Seems like something new happened - so it makes entire sense to ban what was used for the 120 months without problems.

There should be no oil in vape juice.  That does not rule out a contaminate oil (say a new machine that did not have tooling oil cleaned first)..
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 2:06:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Even taking your whole smoke/partial smoke thing as plausible into consideration, 11 dead out of 600 cases among a population of however many millions using thousands of different products represents a very low chance of adverse affects. Assuming (and this is a big assumption since it's the market leader but hasn't been implicated) that something like a Juul would cause this lung disease, the likelihood of developing problems is remarkably low.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 2:11:18 PM EDT
[#34]
What a gift to the tobacco companies these stories are. . .

My question is, how have they not identified the specific node in the supply chain which is responsible for this? Marijuana is incredibly regulated in WA state. If there was a specific supplier adding some component which is the catalyst for this, then I can promise you they'd know where it came from.

If this is an instance where people are buying some unknown vape ingredient, from behind the counter at a 7/11, which is coming straight from China, and then loading up their vape at home. . . . then they should disseminate that information.

Just my .02 but I'd wager this is some rogue supplier which is trying to stretch their product and profits. . . or this is some street level poison going around. .. . . or a mix of the two.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 2:11:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Did I make in on page 1 of a MrYar sky is falling thread? Edit, I did!

So far, vaping is still safer than buckets.

Unfortunately, about 20 children die in the U.S. every year because they drown in buckets. Children love water. When a child sees a bucket of water, it is an instant attraction.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 2:12:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Coincidence, a bad batch of an ingredient from somewhere, a specific food grade flavoring that doesn't react well to being vaporized and inhaled, a previously unknown allergy to a specific food grade flavoring or something along those lines maybe?

Given how many use these devices, one would think if there was a major issue you would have thousands, if not tens of thousands of people sick or dead.

Reading the very basic details reminds me of how the media reports on influenza deaths. The number is the sizzle but when you dig into the facts you find things like age, pre-existing health issues and the like behind the majority.
View Quote
This.

If actual vaping was hazardous, they would have to run the snowplows every night to get the bodies out of the street so people could get to work in the morning.

It's media hype - since "muh Russia, muh whistleblower, muh Ukraine, muh impeach" is going no where they DAMNED sure don't want to talk about Biden, Epstein, or Hillary.  Gotta feed the 24 hour news cycle something.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 2:12:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
11!

View Quote
I suspect there have been other deaths related to vaping that were classified as something else.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 2:14:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Cumulative effect? Maybe, like tobacco, it takes years to become ill from it? So just now been around long enough to see the onset of long term health consequences?
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 2:16:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Cumulative effect? Maybe, like tobacco, it takes years to become ill from it? So just now been around long enough to see the onset of long term health consequences?
View Quote
Ok let's say that true. Wheres the cases of the multi year user? All of the ones I've bothered to look at have been adolescent to young adults that had been vaping less than a year.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 2:17:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Remember when an entire industry had to retool to add tamper resistant seals to their products when seven people dies in Chicago from poisoned Tylenol? Me too
View Quote
Probably have to be pretty high up the supply chain for this to be a case of tampering but it is not impossible.

The THC stuff in legal states is produced locally AFAIK, naturally the bootleg stuff in illegal states is made in somebody's basement.

The liquid industry has had a big push to rely on legitimate labs to produce their product. For the most part the DIY mix thing is gone from the retail end.

Juul carts are produced in a factory and have several tamper seals, on case packaging, "pack" purchase packaging and individual pods.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 2:19:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Probably have to be pretty high up the supply chain for this to be a case of tampering but it is not impossible.

The THC stuff in legal states is produced locally AFAIK, naturally the bootleg stuff in illegal states is made in somebody's basement.

The liquid industry has had a big push to rely on legitimate labs to produce their product. For the most part the DIY mix thing is gone from the retail end.

Juul carts are produced in a factory and have several tamper seals, on case packaging, "pack" purchase packaging and individual pods.
View Quote
You are correct in that marijuana produced would have to be produced locally.

Marijuana is still illegal federally, hence the interstate commerce clause would apply for individuals who transport it over state lines (even where it is legal from OR to WA)

This adds a bit to the mystery as from a legally supply chain stand point.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 2:23:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Niece was hospitalized last week. Gave her a huge dose of prednisone to calm her lungs down.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 2:24:14 PM EDT
[#43]
When 1 person gets deaded by eating some e-coli lettuce or strawberries..........they pull that shit off the shelves INSTANTLY to sort it out.

Vapors dying after doing what they do?  I guess nobody really gives a shit.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 2:25:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Also from the other thread

Quoted:
From link above:

Dr. Sean Jorgensen Callahan is a pulmonologist and University of Utah professor who treated two of the six patients with vaping-induced lung illness whose cases were reported in the New England Journal of Medicine. He said his "suspicion is this is not cumulative, (but) something new that people are being exposed to."
BINGO!
Looking for the link hes referencing.

Link added

Referencing link
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 2:28:34 PM EDT
[#45]
For someone who doesn't vape, you spend a LOT of time and energy thinking and talking about it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 2:28:54 PM EDT
[#46]
There’s an agenda being rolled out here. Be interesting to see where exactly it’s heading.

Say what you want but there’s something fishy going on.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 2:33:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Shown are the expression levels of HMOX1 and CYP1A1, two biomarkers of smoke exposure, in HBE cells under different exposure treatments and times. AT, air treated control, MSS, mainstream smoke treated, EV0, e-vapor (0?mg/ml nicotine)-treated, EV16, e-vapor (16?mg/ml nicotine)-treated. Values presented are FPKM.

So if you smoke AND vape you're good?
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 2:34:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
More than likely.
And THC wouldn't show up if that person was vaping the CBD oil right? That's a thing now apparently. Why I have no idea
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 2:35:04 PM EDT
[#49]
11 is statistically insignificant compared to the number of vape users.

Considering legislation based on 11 deaths caused by a substitute product for cigarettes (which kill hundreds daily) is just inane. Fucking clown world.

Tobacco lobbyists HAVE to be behind this. No other explanation. I would be astounded if they weren’t behind the push to ban the competing product.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 2:36:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Marijuana is still illegal federally, hence the interstate commerce clause would apply for individuals who transport it over state lines (even where it is legal from OR to WA)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Might be something WAY up the chain that isn't even in the liquids of either.
Wonder if they test for lead?

Vaping (thc/nic, DIY or pod) uses a heated wire element to vaporize the product. Those elements are made out of nichrome, kanthal, stainless or nickel.
Maybe some shittastic Chinese wire made out of metals that aren't supposed to be in there is a factor.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top