Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:51:21 PM EDT
[#1]
To all you supposed "SME's" aka garage kit builders here...LISTEN UP!

Heckler & Koch 416 with Larry Vickers...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L73NzKdWAHw

Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:52:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Then why can't you design and build a gun that's no better than the random garage builder?  lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol. You think snake eaters know more about firearms than gunsmiths?

I suppose you think cops are gun experts too?
Then why can't you design and build a gun that's no better than the random garage builder?  lol
Meh. Guns aren't where the money is.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:53:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:56:30 PM EDT
[#4]
KEWL!!  Next time I clog my toilet you can bring over that metal poky thing·a·ma·jig.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:59:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
There's one idea that OP hasn't thought of yet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm still mad at you for shitting on my idea to make barrels from diamond
Plasma vapor deposition of diamond barrel liners/coating
Micron thick only
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 8:06:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Lol. The middle one will buy me a GAP rifle. The bottom is part of an instrument that'll buy two of 'em
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 8:09:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Micron thick only
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm still mad at you for shitting on my idea to make barrels from diamond
Micron thick only
I thought about doing some DLC on wear parts but if the substrate isnt hard enough it's not going to really shine. Plus many of the coating processes exceed the tempering temperature of commonly used ordnance steels.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 8:55:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Kudos to the guys who had the patience to offer some wisdom early on.  The OCD replies sound like hog molars grinding nacre.
View Quote
It started in a tech forum so there was some forced restraint, somehow made 2ish pages before finally moving here.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 8:59:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Larry is the MAN!
View Quote
People like you are the reason people like him no longer participate on this site
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 9:06:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Inconel is exceptional for use in high pressure, high temp (absolute temp and temp delta) applications...but it's pricey and a massive pain to work with.
View Quote
Another vote for Inconel.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 9:14:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol. You think snake eaters know more about firearms than gunsmiths?

I suppose you think cops are gun experts too?
Meh. Guns aren't where the money is.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/206831/20190404_155956_jpg-1152590.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/206831/20190108_110944_jpg-1152594.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/206831/20180403_172243_jpg-1152607.JPG
No they’re not. Escalator parts are pretty lucrative too.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 9:14:54 PM EDT
[#12]
It seems beyond unlikely that OP isn’t a retread.

For the record OP “know it all” people, that actually know nothing, and do nothing but argue and insult actual SME’s are the reason less of them post here.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 9:22:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm interested in the science/engineering of firearms, automobiles, aero etc in general like a lot of us are and always looking for the next best thing to "make it better."   I watched some YouTube videos of people torture testing their AR's and AK's and the only gun I saw survive the test of 2,300+ rounds of full auto was the POF P416 from Iraqveteran8888.  It seemed in those videos the barrel was the weakest link and heat was the culprit.  Also, the links of Battlefield Las Vegas here at this forum on reading about guns with 200,000 rounds fired through them got me thinking on ways to increase the lifespan and longevity of firearms that are put through extreme abuse.

I Googled up "Heat resistant steel alloys" and first link I saw this...
https://www.hpalloy.com/Alloys/hightemperature.aspx

HASTELLOY ® Alloy X (HX)
(UNS N06002) Ni 47.5, Cr 21.8, Fe 18.5, Mo 9.0
"Excellent high temperature strength and oxidation resistance to 2200°F. Excellent forming and welding characteristics. Resistance to oxidizing, reducing, and neutral atmospheres. Resistant to SCC in petrochemical applications. Good ductility after prolonged service temperatures of 1200, through 1600°F for 16,000 hours. Gas turbine combustion cans and ducting, heat-treating equipment, spray bars, flame holders, furnace rolls, furnace baffles, and flash drier components."

Hastelloy X is a nickel-chromium-iron-molybdenum superalloy with outstanding high temperature strength, oxidation resistance, and fabricability. Alloy X’s oxidation resistance is excellent up to 2200° F...
http://megamex.com/hastelloy_x.htm

Could that some day be used in firearms like barrels for fully automatic fire for prolonged periods of time?

Also, your opinions on lithium alloys 2055 and 2099 for receivers compared to 7075 T6.
View Quote
I've welded on that stuff before.  Exhaust for turbine engines/  MD500 helicopters.

Stuff was super thin sheet metal and super duper pricey.  I can't imagine what a bar of that shit costs.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 9:22:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Probably not the same place but I remember doing a couple test shots like that for DoD.

We were supplied with a piece of metal 12"x12"x1" and told that they wanted it bonded to some grade III Ti with no interlayer. They wouldnt say what it was or really give the engineers any specs for it other than hardness, ductility/heat info.

We ended up doing a "hot shot" with it, it got put it in the heat treat oven and the rest of the shot was set up out in the site. It was removed from the oven, raced out to the site in a pickup, set, and shot within 2 minutes.

It somewhat stuck to the Ti, but the bond was shit and it shattered like a safety glass window. Whatever it was could not take the pressures and angles involved.

.Gov still paid though  
View Quote
Not my project but has similarities. We had to produce a big piece. 72x36x0.5 finished. It was all experimental. Like your example, the plate shattered like glass when shot and the bond attained was never very good. It was a total failure but I got paid. All I really did was subcontract everything.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 9:27:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

For the record OP “know it all” people, that actually know nothing, and do nothing but argue and insult actual SME’s are the reason less of them post here.
View Quote
It's why I mostly stopped posting about armor. That and the occasional heated discussion with one or two bottom feeding liars in the armor industry who were endangering people's lives.

Whether guns, tac gear, armor, or whatever, one thing I discovered is that fan boys who have purchased shit gear will white knight it, even when shown direct, documented evidence of flaws and deception.

(Not trying to sidetrack.)
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 9:28:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Fail on both counts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're not an engineer, nor do you know mathematics.
Fail on both counts.
Holy shit.  Did he really direct that comment towards you?
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 9:39:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think that he might even be a current Industry Partner.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 9:50:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It's why I mostly stopped posting about armor. That and the occasional heated discussion with one or two bottom feeding liars in the armor industry who were endangering people's lives.

Whether guns, tac gear, armor, or whatever, one thing I discovered is that fan boys who have purchased shit gear will white knight it, even when shown direct, documented evidence of flaws and deception.

(Not trying to sidetrack.)
View Quote
My first boss in engineering taught me the best lesson I’ve ever learned.....be smart enough to know when your not smart enough.

We have a remarkable amount of knowledge on this site....some people should learn to read more, post less and thank the legit SME who are willing to share their knowledge.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 10:01:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 11:04:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're not an engineer, nor do you know mathematics.
Fail on both counts.
He’s been pushing some good ones out.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 11:10:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Uh, ya..

So, how are you going to rifle the tube? And ream the chamber? Ya a hastaloy/inconell barrel would be tits in an overbored cartridge. But how ya going to make it? Once all said and done your going to have a $2K+ barrel, that's before fitting and final install. Out of the realm of most shooters.

I've machined both materials in Question and both suck balls.
View Quote
With some of the new techniques available you can rifle just about any material pretty easily, and as far as reaming the chamber is concerned, the easiest way to do it is ending your high performance liner at the case neck so you only have minimal material to remove .
Waterjet Rifling Contracts
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 11:11:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
He is in IA...
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 11:24:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
He is in IA...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He is in IA...
Sure he is.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 12:13:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
And what is it that you do that requires you to work with some special ops guys?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I work with some special ops guys... and no just because they were/are special forces does not automatically make them "Firearm Experts"...
And what is it that you do that requires you to work with some special ops guys?
Gunsmith and firearms instructor for a .gov
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 12:25:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
This thread I created is fun and I learned about...

So what have we learned on this thread??

Everyone on here besides me is a engineer and mathematician that has either a glorious career in engineering or currently doing all sorts of top level secret govt work.

The "SME's" on here like BURN know more about guns than Navy Seals and Delta Force do.

The self proclaimed "SME's" on here who supposedly work in high tech industries a top level engineering firms build random guns in their garages like the next guy down the street who doesn't have a engineering degree and their garage home builds as just as random and ordinary as the random guy's is down the street.  
View Quote
Thank you...

I do work for a National Laboratory and yes they do acknowledge me as a firearm sme.

I do have a degree in gunsmithing (as do a few other posters in this thread) (also the Engineers, machinists, fabricators)

Some of my fellow coworkers on our training staff are former special ops.
We also get to work directly with spec ops at times.

I have worked as an R&D gunsmith in the firearms industry.

I also have a part time job doing r&d work and firearms consultant.

I dont know everything about firearms (no one does)

But I know more than most in this subject.

there are plenty in this thread that i reach out to for their knowledge. (They know who they are and I hope they know they are appreciated)

As for proof I am not going to post all that PII on here.I

Have a wonderful day.

ETA: I am an idiot for posting this in a trolling thread....but fuck Im bored right now.....
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 12:27:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If you guys are gun "experts" do you have any patents?  What firearms manufacturers have you worked for?

Did any of you come up with LMT's patents?  Or Colt's patents?
View Quote
I have some patent pendings....so soon...yes...
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 12:37:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Thank you...

I do work for a National Laboratory and yes they do acknowledge me as a firearm sme.

I do have a degree in gunsmithing (as do a few other posters in this thread) (also the Engineers, machinists, fabricators)

there are plenty in this thread that i reach out to for their knowledge. (They know who they are and I hope they know they are appreciated)

Have a wonderful day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everyone on here besides me is a engineer and mathematician that has either a glorious career in engineering or currently doing all sorts of top level secret govt work.

The "SME's" on here like BURN know more about guns than Navy Seals and Delta Force do.

The self proclaimed "SME's" on here who supposedly work in high tech industries a top level engineering firms build random guns in their garages like the next guy down the street who doesn't have a engineering degree and their garage home builds as just as random and ordinary as the random guy's is down the street.  
Thank you...

Have a wonderful day.
Yeah, well all that and $1.50 will buy you a cup of coffee, Mr. "SME".  Your bona fides don't mean nuthin round here
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 12:45:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yeah, well all that and $1.50 will buy you a cup of coffee, Mr. "SME".  Your bona fides don't mean nuthin round here
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you...

Have a wonderful day.
Your so right...

Never been much of nothing...

I pass the butter

Rick & Morty - Pass the Butter

Link Posted: 11/8/2019 12:52:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Not my project but has similarities. We had to produce a big piece. 72x36x0.5 finished. It was all experimental. Like your example, the plate shattered like glass when shot and the bond attained was never very good. It was a total failure but I got paid. All I really did was subcontract everything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably not the same place but I remember doing a couple test shots like that for DoD.

We were supplied with a piece of metal 12"x12"x1" and told that they wanted it bonded to some grade III Ti with no interlayer. They wouldnt say what it was or really give the engineers any specs for it other than hardness, ductility/heat info.

We ended up doing a "hot shot" with it, it got put it in the heat treat oven and the rest of the shot was set up out in the site. It was removed from the oven, raced out to the site in a pickup, set, and shot within 2 minutes.

It somewhat stuck to the Ti, but the bond was shit and it shattered like a safety glass window. Whatever it was could not take the pressures and angles involved.

.Gov still paid though  
@Layer60

PMed you, box is full
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 3:54:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I have some patent pendings....so soon...yes...
View Quote
Good luck. It's a massive, expensive, pain in the dick ime.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 4:02:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Those super alloys aren't necessarily good in every possible role. Steel is quite good in many applications. Even if it is inferior in certain ways to other metals, steel is still the best all around metal for many different applications. The harder a metal is the more brittle it is. There is no wonder metal that is as resilient as steel (ie different alloys give so they don't crack as fast due to repeated exposure to violent forces), as hard and wear resistant as inconel, etc.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 9:16:41 AM EDT
[#32]
trolling
Page / 8
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top