Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:33:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
" I'm OKAY with this "
View Quote
Solves two problems, extra farm food goes somewhere, lower SNAP $$$.

Winning!
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:33:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
It won’t just be the left. Big business will stand to lose a lot from a plan like this and will be all over the Republicans to make sure it never sees the light of day.

I love the idea of this. But it ain’t happening
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This really is the perfect solution to the problem.  Gets back to the root of the issue - providing food - and cuts the opportunity for abuse to near zero.  Not a doubt in my mind that at least half the "needy" people on the program today would suddenly be not so needy within months of implementing the change.

It'll be kinda interesting to hear the left's arguments against it.
It won’t just be the left. Big business will stand to lose a lot from a plan like this and will be all over the Republicans to make sure it never sees the light of day.

I love the idea of this. But it ain’t happening
Oh, no doubt.  But the public's getting a bit more perceptive these days, and the ultra-wealthy CEO of of Pepperidge Farms is going to have a tough time making his case as people connect the dots and recognize that his support for entitlement programs is more about keeping fuel in the corporate Citation than feeding hungry inner-city babies.

I'm not delusional; I know it's probably unlikely that a program like this will get implemented any time soon.  But even planting the thought in people's heads has value and is a step in the right direction.  And once enough people start really turning it over... who knows.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:34:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Welfare reform is going to be a tough nut to crack.  The left will be quick to point out that reducing/removing entitlement programs equates to yanking food from innocent babies' mouths, and manipulating the public's sympathies and emotions is one of their most highly polished skills.  An approach like this is probably the only way it can even start to happen.
View Quote
The left "wins" arguments with how they frame the issue; ie, Obamacare was about saving the lives of little old women and children. Once the question becomes, "do you want old women to die or not?" you've lost. There is only one way to answer that sort of question.

Trump has shown some ability to flip the frame. Americans are dreamers too. Illegal immigration is about whether you will tolerate MS-13 in our streets. There's only one way to answer THAT question, too.

If the republicans can learn from him, maybe they can crack welfare reform. Maybe.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:35:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I can see a lot of businesses, who can now accept the EBT cards would be fighting back HARD against this.

It's a lot easier to pick up a prepared pizza or bucket of chicken that feed your rugrats a wholesome cooked meal. They know it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:40:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks like it won't take the cash part totally out of the picture.

the amount of food a household receives would be scaled to the size of the allotment,
with about half of the assistance coming as food instead of cash
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:40:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I love this idea,  and if they don't like the food given to them they can get  job and buy their own or do without.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:41:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Never happen.  The government will be accused of competing against private "food" industry or picking winners and loses by the Chamber of Commerce.  The Republican party knows where their bread is buttered.  What will be the fallbac, more acceptable solution, that's what I'm interested in.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:44:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Fantastic idea but it'll never happen.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:44:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

can you tell me more about the chicken fucking part?  will that come in the box, or can I redeem that item in-store?  not asking for a friend.
View Quote
This you?

Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:45:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Never happen.  The government will be accused of competing against private "food" industry or picking winners and loses by the Chamber of Commerce.  The Republican party knows where their bread is buttered.  What will be the fallbac, more acceptable solution, that's what I'm interested in.
View Quote
what?  government doesn't grow food they have to buy it from somewhere.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:45:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:48:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Truly MAGA. this will be far cheaper than direct payments.
View Quote
I was wondering about that.  Seems like the logistics would make that plan more expensive.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:49:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You ever see a homeless guy on the street with a sign saying he's hungry, asking for $$ for food?

Ever offer to buy him a sandwich and see what he says? Sometimes they accept. Many times they don't. They just want the money.

This proposal is similarly aimed at seeing what the reaction is.
View Quote
Yea i saw a homeless dude the other day that had a sign that said "Need Money for Weed 'N Feed"
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:49:41 PM EDT
[#14]
100% grown in the US by migrant workers
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:51:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Swipe yo ebt
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:52:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Anything can happen.  All it takes is getting enough of the public to want it.

A little over a year ago Trump was never going to win the election, either.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:52:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Maybe they shouldn't create mouths that they cannot feed!
View Quote
This is often the case too. I have 2 (disowned) aunts that have 8 and 9 kids under 18. Neither of their families come close to supporting themselves and rely on the morman church/government cheese to survive.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:53:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So here's a question. I've seen this more than once when I'm at the grocery store.

A lady on welfare will have the food on the conveyor belt at the checkout line but broken out into different piles of food and they will have a check on top of each pile.  I hope I explained that well enough.

Anyone have any idea what's going on there?
View Quote
Wic.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:53:55 PM EDT
[#19]
This is kind of a stupid idea. There are better places to save money or generate jobs by far than something like this.
But whatever, I always love how many of the "Muh freedom!!!" guys on here want to decide what food people eat lol

Does that mean I get a vote on small arms acquisition just cause I pay taxes towards them too?
M27s for all branches just to piss off joglee!!!!
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:54:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I was wondering about that.  Seems like the logistics would make that plan more expensive.  
View Quote
The food banks around here prefer cash donations over food. Through bulk buying they can get much more value. They can get a day's worth of food for like $1. This would be similar but much larger bulk purchases.

Then they can leverage the USPS for delivery.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:55:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
100% grown in the US by migrant workers
View Quote
*20% chance of Listeria infection.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:57:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
No, most of the problem is too many hoes getting the seed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seeds and a hoe.
No, most of the problem is too many hoes getting the seed.
You win the internet on this day.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:57:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This is kind of a stupid idea. There are better places to save money or generate jobs by far than something like this.
But whatever, I always love how many of the "Muh freedom!!!" guys on here want to decide what food people eat lol

Does that mean I get a vote on small arms acquisition just cause I pay taxes towards them too?
View Quote
defense of the citizenry is constitutionally mandated, taxing the citizenry (taking money from one) in order to feed another (federal support/state support of slackers)is not.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:58:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yep, it's like they're reading my mind!

(I still want them to use Firefly style food bars though:  https://www.yourprops.com/movieprops/original/yp4f9c7267d77c11.98271761/Firefly-Alliance-Food-Bar-1.jpg)
View Quote
You ment Spnowpiercer right?
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:58:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's not a matter of deciding what food people eat.  It's a matter of controlling where my money gets spent.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:59:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Bill it as blue apron for poor people. Look gourmet food delivered directly to your door.
View Quote
And we know they are going to be home to accept the delivery.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 7:00:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Let's wait till it actually passes into being before celebrating. I don't see this happening. Do you know how many riots there will be.....
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 7:00:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Now the thing is shelf stable milk. It's irradiated and basically biologically inert. Used to get that stuff in the field when I was a soldier. It didn't suck.
View Quote
We drank a ton of UHT milk while living overseas. It was fine. Did not require refrigeration. Made by Parmalat, IIRC.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 7:02:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Let's wait till it actually passes into being before celebrating. I don't see this happening. Do you know how many riots there will be.....
View Quote
Yeah, the pols prefer to buy off the barbarians at the gate
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 7:02:33 PM EDT
[#30]
This is a brilliant idea, but you have to present it properly.

(1) Highlight obesity and type 2 diabetes rates in people on SNAP.

(2) Show the rate jumped when SNAP was loosed to allow for convenience store/junk food purchases.

(3) State that we are changing the system to insure that recipients have access to healthy food.

This is a legitimate issue and these are very valid points.  If you don't properly educate people about eating healthy or give them the skills to cook healthy food for themselves (public inner city schools); then you give them a credit card that you can take to the Circle K and get potato chips, candy bars and pop and you'll end up with obese, unhealthy people.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 7:02:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Fucking awesome. This is what the program should have been all along.
View Quote
Yep. I applaud this news.

Do it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 7:04:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
We'll let Walmart handle logistics and distribution. They in turn can sub contract out local distribution to mom & pop corner stores to serve the transportationally disadvantaged.  Amazon can handle home delivery for the handicapped.

Private/Public partnerships baby! Get your daily calorie allowance here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Make government cheese great again !!

(Makes awesome grilled cheese sammitches BTW).
Aint no cheese like government cheese

5-10 dollars for 5 pound on the black "no pun intended" market.

Damn I miss government cheese

Walmart stock does not approve this message.  Let them eat beans
We'll let Walmart handle logistics and distribution. They in turn can sub contract out local distribution to mom & pop corner stores to serve the transportationally disadvantaged.  Amazon can handle home delivery for the handicapped.

Private/Public partnerships baby! Get your daily calorie allowance here.
Gotta have a big PA system on the truck that drives through the ghetto so everyone knows to come out, scan their card, and get their free food box for the next week. The grown up ice cream truck, better not be too high or busy watching Maury, or you'll have to run after it.  

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 7:07:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Trump can create enough jobs for full employment, but if .gov benefits to those without jobs are sufficient they won't take the job.

Benefits need to be cut to the bare minimum to encourage those on the dole to get back to work. See Clinton's (really Gingrich's) workfare and welfare reform from the 1990's it friggin' worked!!!

One way to cut benefits is to provide food, which was the primary goal to begin wit. But the EBT funds are to fungible, and can be sold for $0.50/$1. Or, for example, an EBT recipient goes and buys a box of shrimp, and then seels the box for about 1/2 cost to the local corner market, which then has a shrimp special deal. I have seen this first hand on many occasions, within sight of the US Capital. Actual food like flour or bread, veggies and meat, would not have the street value that the EBT card purchasing power has, or the delicacies like shrimp, steak or lobster that the EBT card can buy.

And yes, you get to vote for your favorite small arms acquisition, via your Representative and Senator.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 7:08:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It's not a matter of deciding what food people eat.  It's a matter of controlling where my money gets spent.
View Quote
Right. I remember when I decided where a highway was built or a airforce base constructed because my money paid for it.
Cause that's how things work...

Honestly I care less about Javentee and his baby momma or slow Clarence that works at the gas station for $200 a week getting SNAP that the fucking hundreds of billions a year for the millions of illegals for school/healthcare/benefits/uninsured motorist accidents/ lowered wages ect than any of this shit.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 7:09:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
taught in Western Cook county for 12 years. None of my students appeared to have even a passing knowledge of what constituted healthy eating. A balanced meal for them started out with massive bag a of flaming hot cheese curls, half a six pack of Pepsi or Tab, and rounded off with little chocolate donuts for fiber.........The healthy meals given to them through the lunch program all ended up in the trash except the chocolate milk and potato chips.
View Quote
I went to Hersey.  Class of '75.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 7:09:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Yeah, there is an underground black market in EBT.  As I understand it, and I could be wrong, people get their EBT card recharged by Uncle Sugar every month. They go to some shady store in the hood where they get maybe $50 cash in return for $100 EBT credit.  They then take that $40 and buy beer, cigarettes and a $10 bag of pot.  
Not no mo'.  Here's your box of groceries, see ya next month. Maybe the dope dealer on the corner will accept a package of pasta and a can of chicken meat as acceptable payment, but I doubt it.  How would they jump fences running from the cops with a ruck sack full of spaghetti- o's and Trix?
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 7:09:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
They could gain some economies of scale if they couple it with the state school lunch programs in terms of ordering, pricing and packaging vs the consumer retail costs at the supermarket the current SNAP recipient buys at.

Possible (more like probable) additional cost savings can be seen if there is less abuse of the system (either resulting in less enrollees or less $ needed/recipient). Further downstream cost savings may be with lower healthcare costs associated with healthier eating (99% sure most all are on some form of Medicaid or state/federal funded plan insurance).
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 7:11:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's a matter of virtue signalling for tribal politics. It's nice if food stamps get fixed, but it's not about frugality. Ghetto welfare is budget dust compared to Medicaid/Medicare/SS Boomer welfare.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 7:11:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Right. I remember when I decided where a highway was built or a airforce base constructed because my money paid for it.
Cause that's how things work...

Honestly I care less about Javentee and his baby momma or slow Clarence that works at the gas station for $200 a week getting SNAP that the fucking hundreds of billions a year for the millions of illegals for school/healthcare/benefits/uninsured motorist accidents/ lowered wages ect than any of this shit.
View Quote
You had your say when you voted for your Congressmen and Senator. We are a representative republic, remember?

There are many problems that need fixed, not just immigration...
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 7:11:55 PM EDT
[#40]
should have been done long ago.

Anyone who thinks there is not rampant fraud and waste in the current system is a fool
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 7:13:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep

I quit underestimating the President a while ago.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 7:13:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
In what would be one of the biggest shakeups of the U.S. food-stamp program in its five-decade history, President Donald Trump is proposing to slash cash payments and substitute them with "100 percent American grown food" given to recipients.

The changes, outlined Monday in Trump’s budget proposal, would reshape the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP, which supports roughly one in eight Americans, by reducing cash spending by about one-third from current levels.

The plan is part of an effort to reform SNAP and save a projected $214 billion over a decade. It would give all households receiving more than $90 a month in cash a food-aid package that would "include items such as shelf-stable milk, ready to eat cereals, pasta, peanut butter, beans and canned fruit, vegetables, and meat, poultry or fish," according to the proposal.

The so-called USDA America’s Harvest Box "is a bold, innovative approach to providing nutritious food to people who need assistance feeding themselves and their families -- and all of it is home grown by American farmers and producers," Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue said in a statement. The program would provide food-stamp recipients with "the same level of food value" as the current system, Perdue added.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-02-12/trump-budget-swaps-food-stamps-for-100-percent-american-food
View Quote
That's what is was before 1973 and all teh legislation that shifted farm subsidies to big agriculture.
The big tobacco companies, er, I mean the big food companies are not gonna like this one bit.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 7:14:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
taught in Western Cook county for 12 years. None of my students appeared to have even a passing knowledge of what constituted healthy eating. A balanced meal for them started out with massive bag a of flaming hot cheese curls, half a six pack of Pepsi or Tab, and rounded off with little chocolate donuts for fiber.........The healthy meals given to them through the lunch program all ended up in the trash except the chocolate milk and potato chips.
We played against you guys in football (GBN) in the early '70s. Our school was brand new (finished in 68) our bench was not very deep at that time. If you had an older brother I most likely played across from him.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 7:15:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Baby formula is on WIC so it would require changing that also but WIC is ran a hell of a lot better than food stamps.
There should audits done on it.
Honestly it's 2018. No real reason a query can't be done on the system to see what is being bought. You spend all your money on junk food. You're cut off.
If you're young and fit you should have to do some type of community service. It doesn't have to be picking up trash either. It could be tending the gates at a local HS football game or something and the school admin signs off on it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Am I missing something? Sounds like they still would be able to get the good stuff, steak, chicken, fish.
Hard to trade canned chicken for drugs though.  Baby formula is always a hot commodity.  Wonder if that will be in the box.
Baby formula is on WIC so it would require changing that also but WIC is ran a hell of a lot better than food stamps.
There should audits done on it.
Honestly it's 2018. No real reason a query can't be done on the system to see what is being bought. You spend all your money on junk food. You're cut off.
If you're young and fit you should have to do some type of community service. It doesn't have to be picking up trash either. It could be tending the gates at a local HS football game or something and the school admin signs off on it.
I just want you to know that I read all of your posts in Denzel's voice from training day.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 7:16:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Truly MAGA. this will be far cheaper than direct payments.
View Quote
cuts the fraud right out of the system, gets food to people who actually need food and not doritos and mountain dew.

I wouldn't be surprised if the system results in saving more then expected... we can build two walls with the savings!
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 7:18:05 PM EDT
[#46]
As someone who donates and volunteers for a charity who fills backpacks, with shelf stable no prep foods, that are given to students on Friday so they can eat over the weekend... I approve.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 7:20:02 PM EDT
[#47]
As much as I'd love to see it happen, too many business interests will oppose it.... unless they're the suppliers and distributors.

Not only stop-n-robs, but grocery stores... who get a huge number of EBT sales.
But also the big food companies that have a seriously vested interest in stupid fat poor people continuing to subsist entirely on heavily processed packaged foods.

I'd love to see it, but I would guess there is a higher chance we'll see FHRC, FBHO and FEH perp-walked into Gitmo.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 7:20:48 PM EDT
[#48]

Link
In addition to being the nation’s largest retailer, Walmart likely takes in the most food stamp dollars—an estimated 18 percent last year, according to leaked comments from a company vice president at a private dinner last fall, which Walmart later confirmed. That sum would amount to $13 billion, or about 4 percent of Walmart’s total U.S. sales.

This is big business here people, never gonna happen.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 7:21:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
We played against you guys in football (GBN) in the early '70s. Our school was brand new (finished in 68) our bench was not very deep at that time. If you had an older brother I most likely played across from him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
School District 87.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 7:25:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
LOL.

Yes you can vote for a representative that has your same opinion about small arms acquisitions, just like we voted for a guy that wants to eliminate giving cash for things that are counterproductive to society (ie Out of wedlock children to get $$, Black market trade for EBT dollars, etc).  This is how shit used to be and it worked much better. Its a great fucking idea.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top