Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 1/28/2018 7:23:04 PM EDT
Watching the true story about the 96 tragedy it's hard to believe people put themselves in those kind of environments to say " I went where many haven't. "

The guy from TX that survived lost his nose and both hands. Hell of a price to pay to come back home
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 7:24:37 PM EDT
[#1]
In before the pictures of Rainbow Valley
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 7:32:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Doesn't seem like a tragedy, seems to be expected
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 7:38:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
People do lose their lives up there but the story goes they were on the way back down when a fast moving storm came in and that combined with lack of oxygen did them in.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 7:40:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Coming down is what gets most of the victims.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 7:40:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Tag
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 7:40:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I was listening to a Joe Rogan podcast in which he had a guest who rescues climbers. He summited Everest in 2001, and said that most deaths happen on the way down.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 7:41:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Far more people die on interstate highways every year.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 7:42:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I think those people would rather go out doing what they love.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 7:43:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
People do lose their lives up there but the story goes they were on the way back down when a fast moving storm came in and that combined with lack of oxygen did them in.
View Quote
I've read about it, I just figure that you should be prepared for a undertaking such as Everest to be your last. That's serious badass/foolish. Not really making light of it, and I would hope everyone makes it back every time, but its not a normal hiking trip
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 7:46:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
But 6.5% of those who drive them don't die from doing so.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 7:47:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Read "Into Thin Air"
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 7:49:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 7:49:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Read "Into Thin Air"
View Quote
Fuck Jon Krakauer.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 7:50:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 7:51:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 7:53:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Stupidity is the human way .
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 7:53:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYMXjYRDAjc  Sounds like an interesting one.
View Quote
That's the one..
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 7:54:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Read "Into Thin Air"
View Quote
Good read without a doubt,

What I didn't realize how that's been turned into a garbage can up there too...
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 7:54:46 PM EDT
[#19]
The biggest problem in 96 was the incompetence of the tour guides.  There are strict turn around times so you can get back to camp safely, summit achieved or not.  These were completely ignored and people died for it.  The Texas guy that lost body parts also went snow blind early on(one of the first LASIK patients to go high altitude climbing, found some problems) and they just left him on the mountain saying they'd help him down when they return from the summit.  Which didn't happen because they didn't turn around on schedule.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 7:58:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Anyone want to go up to the top and take a crazy carpet back down
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 7:58:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If I remember right, the reason they got stuck on the way down was because they were late getting to the summit due to a traffic jam of climbers all attempting to summit the same day.  Get-there-itis on the part of the guides/climbers meant they took the risk of summiting too late and getting trapped in the weather.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 7:59:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Who was the noob girl that they dragged her ass up over the top and she only eat Ramon noodles or some shit like that
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 8:00:23 PM EDT
[#23]
If it was easy, everyone would do it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 8:02:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The biggest problem in 96 was the incompetence of the tour guides.  There are strict turn around times so you can get back to camp safely, summit achieved or not.  These were completely ignored and people died for it.  The Texas guy that lost body parts also went snow blind early on(one of the first LASIK patients to go high altitude climbing, found some problems) and they just left him on the mountain saying they'd help him down when they return from the summit.  Which didn't happen because they didn't turn around on schedule.
View Quote
wow... that's fucked up

some peoples ambition huh...
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 8:03:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Watching the true story about the 96 tragedy it's hard to believe people put themselves in those kind of environments to say " I went where many haven't. "

The guy from TX that survived lost his nose and both hands. Hell of a price to pay to come back home
View Quote
I don't even know if that really applies so much anymore.

Problems often arise (including during the '96 tragedy) because so many people are going up at once.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 8:04:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If I remember right, the reason they got stuck on the way down was because they were late getting to the summit due to a traffic jam of climbers all attempting to summit the same day.  Get-there-itis on the part of the guides/climbers meant they took the risk of summiting too late and getting trapped in the weather.
View Quote
Yep, those ppl paid 40-50k plus to summit and to hell with safety and anybody else
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 8:04:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Coming down is what gets most of the victims.
View Quote
It's because most people who pay $80-100k to be guided up fail to realize, even after being told relentlessly, that getting to the top is only 50% of the climb. Accidents happen when clients get careless, rush, are exhausted, etc. on the way down. They spend all their energy getting to the top without realizing they need almost as much time and energy for the trip down.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 8:06:17 PM EDT
[#28]
If you think Everest climbers are crazy, check out K2
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 8:08:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Anyone want to go up to the top and take a crazy carpet back down
View Quote
This one may be close to that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4e5_W9k-4A
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 8:10:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
Go watch "Meru" on Netflix or Amazon. Those guys are fucking insane.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 8:16:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Everybody dies, som choose the time and place.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 8:16:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

This one may be close to that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4e5_W9k-4A
View Quote
That guy had a Gurkha patch on his hat....may explain his big brass balls
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 8:16:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

It's because most people who pay $80-100k to be guided up fail to realize, even after being told relentlessly, that getting to the top is only 50% of the climb. Accidents happen when clients get careless, rush, are exhausted, etc. on the way down. They spend all their energy getting to the top without realizing they need almost as much time and energy for the trip down.
View Quote
Yeah.. I hate to make the comparison, but anyone that hikes and does some strenuous stuff knows that coming down is an entirely different workout, and can be worse than going up... often you're at your very limit near the end, and there's just a much greater chance of losing your footing on the way down, so the combination with exhaustion makes it dicey..
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 8:20:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I think those people would rather go out doing what they love.
View Quote
Hypoxia and freezing to death is probably very peaceful.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 8:23:10 PM EDT
[#35]
isn't it often edema of some form?

that sounds like fun
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 8:34:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
isn't it often edema of some form?

that sounds like fun
View Quote
HACE and HAPE- High Altitude Cerebral Edema and High Altitude Pulmonary Edema
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 8:35:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Clipping jumars into pre-placed fixed ropes and breathing out of a SCUBA tank is not mountain climbing.

In reality, to the serious alpinist, pre-placed ropes are cheating and O2 bottles are much too heavy to be considered practical for the speeds necessary to move in the mountains safely.

For a more realistic portrayal of what is actually real alpine climbing, check out Mark Twight's books.  He's a hard core badass.

Those fools on Everest are just tourists w/ SCUBA tanks, they are not to be confused with real alpine climbers.  I just thought I should clarify.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 8:37:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
K2 has about a 23% death/summit rate.  Everest is around 9%.
One of these days a surprise storm is going to catch the huge column of climbers stuck in the "traffic jam" between the summit and high camp on Everest.  It'll kill many more than in 1996.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 8:37:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Who was the noob girl that they dragged her ass up over the top and she only eat Ramon noodles or some shit like that
View Quote
Sandy Pittman, but complete misconception.  Accomplished mountaineer who finished the Seven Summits that day and survived without any real injury.  Her 3rd attempt at Everest, hardly a noob.  All the clients and Sherpas in her group survived, and one of her guides died while trying to rescue the idiots from another agency that didn't turn around on time.  She did have a customized stove but it was basically a fancy lightweight climbing stove, which is required equipment anyway.  Some media hack turned it into a complete tea set that was hauled up by Sherpas.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 8:39:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Clipping jumars into pre-placed fixed ropes and breathing out of a SCUBA tank is not mountain climbing.

In reality, to the serious alpinist, pre-placed ropes are cheating and O2 bottles are much too heavy to be considered practical for the speeds necessary to move in the mountains safely.

For a more realistic portrayal of what is actually real alpine climbing, check out Mark Twight's books.  He's a hard core badass.

Those fools on Everest are just tourists w/ SCUBA tanks, they are not to be confused with real alpine climbers.  I just thought I should clarify.
View Quote
I'm sure all of those guys before Reinhold Messner feel like they were complete and utter failures for their use of oxygen, probably the Sherpas who've used it as well even though some of them have summited multiple times.  Yeah, I get what you're trying to say, but it really doesn't apply to a lot of the people who've been.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 8:41:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Are you a real alpine climber?  Not a call out, just curious if you have some good stories to tell.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 8:44:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I was listening to a Joe Rogan podcast in which he had a guest who rescues climbers. He summited Everest in 2001, and said that most deaths happen on the way down.
View Quote
Most of the Mallory recovery expedition believed he had summited (making him the first to summit Everest) but died on the way down.
Coming down is tough & dangerous - get tired, get sloppy, make a misstep & put crampon points into your calf, then you really have a tough time walking down!

ETA "Touching the Void" is a good movie: 2 experienced climbers summit Siula Grande in the Peruvian Andes. It goes as you might expect. Strange movie about a true event.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 8:44:12 PM EDT
[#43]
I wouldn't piss on Kathy O'dowd and Ian Woodall if they were on the ground in front of me on fire.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 8:46:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Most of the Mallory recovery expedition believed he had summited (making him the first to summit Everest) but died on the way down.
Coming down is tough & dangerous - get tired, get sloppy, make a misstep & out cramping points into your calf, then you really have a tough time walking down!
View Quote
That's what happened to the guy in the Joe Rogan podcast. He said that he clipped-in almost as an afterthought, and then stumbled or tripped on the way down. The ropes saved him from a potentially deadly fall that day.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 8:48:01 PM EDT
[#45]
How much time and money does it take to attempt the climb?
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 8:48:36 PM EDT
[#46]
The mountain itself isn't that hard to climb, it's that last 800ft of the Death Zone that gets you.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 8:49:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Exactly, how many drive interstates verse climb Everest?
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 8:56:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Sandy Pittman, but complete misconception.  Accomplished mountaineer who finished the Seven Summits that day and survived without any real injury.  Her 3rd attempt at Everest, hardly a noob.  All the clients and Sherpas in her group survived, and one of her guides died while trying to rescue the idiots from another agency that didn't turn around on time.  She did have a customized stove but it was basically a fancy lightweight climbing stove, which is required equipment anyway.  Some media hack turned it into a complete tea set that was hauled up by Sherpas.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I stand corrected on her accomplishments.. It's been several years since I read " into thin air".. I do remember the author chastising her for the noodles only diet.

Authors gotta hype to make the sale.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 8:58:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Good read without a doubt,

What I didn't realize how that's been turned into a garbage can up there too...
View Quote
It kinda has to be though.

You can't exactly send clean up crews.

And losing weight is a big deal to those climbers
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 9:00:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
That's what happened to the guy in the Joe Rogan podcast. He said that he clipped-in almost as an afterthought, and then stumbled or tripped on the way down. The ropes saved him from a potentially deadly fall that day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Coming down is tough & dangerous - get tired, get sloppy, make a misstep & out cramping points into your calf, then you really have a tough time walking down!
I'm proud to say my only (non altitude) descent that went poorly was a close call - crampon points ripped all the way through clothing & gaiters but just scratched the skin. That day we had summitted a 4000 footer in New Hampshire in February, while we were on the summit, a storm came in. You could put your foot in the snow, take it out & watch it till with snow almost instantly. Icicles in beard, snow all along one side. Wind howling so you couldn't shout & be heard.I

I miss it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top