Fuck Jon Krakauer.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 9:01:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you think Everest climbers are crazy, check out K2
View Quote
Annapurna. The ratio of 34 deaths per 100 safe returns on Annapurna I is followed by 29 for K2.

Link Posted: 1/28/2018 9:02:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
How much time and money does it take to attempt the climb?
View Quote
About two months and anywhere from $30,000-$100,000 depending on the level of comfort and support.
That doesn't count the expense of equipment and the 12-18 months of training required.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 9:03:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Far more people die on interstate highways every year.
View Quote
Stats, how do they work?
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 9:14:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Fuck Jon Krakauer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Read "Into Thin Air"
Fuck Jon Krakauer.
Because you disagree with something he wrote?
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 9:14:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If I remember right, the reason they got stuck on the way down was because they were late getting to the summit due to a traffic jam of climbers all attempting to summit the same day.  Get-there-itis on the part of the guides/climbers meant they took the risk of summiting too late and getting trapped in the weather.
View Quote
Summit fever is a real phenomenon.  Lack of oxygen and single mindedness lead to really poor, and sometimes deadly, decisions.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 9:16:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The biggest problem in 96 was the incompetence of the tour guides.  There are strict turn around times so you can get back to camp safely, summit achieved or not.  These were completely ignored and people died for it.  The Texas guy that lost body parts also went snow blind early on(one of the first LASIK patients to go high altitude climbing, found some problems) and they just left him on the mountain saying they'd help him down when they return from the summit.  Which didn't happen because they didn't turn around on schedule.
View Quote
Ok.  So, you knew these "tour guides" or climbed with someone who knew or worked with them?
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 9:20:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yup Everest is not even that bad compared to some.  There are a lot of harder climbs out there.

These guys know what they are getting in to when they get involved in the sport of mountaineer and climbing.  Most of us long time climbers know people who paid the price.  I stopped when I got married and had a family.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 9:21:17 PM EDT
[#9]
The main Everest routes are not particularly technical, especially with fixed ropes. Were Everest 3000ft shorter, nobody would consider it especially remarkable beyond the 14K of difference from basecamp to summit. The altitude makes it the challenge that it is.

Quoted:
Anyone want to go up to the top and take a crazy carpet back down
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Anyone want to go up to the top and take a crazy carpet back down
Everest has been skied several times.

Quoted:
This one may be close to that.
Fucking gnarly... made video hot.

Quoted:
Go watch "Meru" on Netflix or Amazon. Those guys are fucking insane.
Welll worth the watch. This is what determination is. And suffering. Fuck high alpine big wall, but mad respect. Meru streams free on Amazon Prime Video
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 9:22:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Who was the noob girl that they dragged her ass up over the top and she only eat Ramon noodles or some shit like that
View Quote
If you are referring to Pitman, she had already accomplished 6 of the 7 summits, and been on Everest twice before - one of those attempts being with Alex Lowe on the Kangshung Face.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 9:22:42 PM EDT
[#11]
A very good friend of mine used to climb with Scott Fischer
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 9:25:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Ok.  So, you knew these "tour guides" or climbed with someone who knew or worked with them?
View Quote
Go read one of the books about the 96 disaster then step back and think about it.  I don't need to have met them to see the blatant and lethal mistakes they made.  They ignored their own rules and people died.  It's likely everyone lives if they held to the turn around time.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 9:26:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Clipping jumars into pre-placed fixed ropes and breathing out of a SCUBA tank is not mountain climbing.

In reality, to the serious alpinist, pre-placed ropes are cheating and O2 bottles are much too heavy to be considered practical for the speeds necessary to move in the mountains safely.

For a more realistic portrayal of what is actually real alpine climbing, check out Mark Twight's books.  He's a hard core badass.

Those fools on Everest are just tourists w/ SCUBA tanks, they are not to be confused with real alpine climbers.  I just thought I should clarify.
View Quote
And Krakauer's not?
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 9:27:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's a ridiculous comparison.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 9:29:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Summit fever is a real phenomenon.  Lack of oxygen and single mindedness lead to really poor, and sometimes deadly, decisions.
View Quote
Yea there was that one guy who got summit fever and kept climbing ahead of his group while they turned back because it was getting late (I think by 2pm you have to turn around before dark sets). The group returned back to camp and they finally gets a call from the guy. They asked where he was at and he said he was on the summit. It was like 8pm or maybe even later and they knew right then he wasn't coming back down. I think it was a general rule that if you're not off the summit by 2pm your pretty much a dead man.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 9:30:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It kinda has to be though.

You can't exactly send clean up crews.

And losing weight is a big deal to those climbers
View Quote
Nepal Will Force Each Everest Climber To Collect 8kg Of Rubbish (2014 article)
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 9:30:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The biggest problem in 96 was the incompetence of the tour guides.  There are strict turn around times so you can get back to camp safely, summit achieved or not.  These were completely ignored and people died for it.  The Texas guy that lost body parts also went snow blind early on(one of the first LASIK patients to go high altitude climbing, found some problems) and they just left him on the mountain saying they'd help him down when they return from the summit.  Which didn't happen because they didn't turn around on schedule.
View Quote
Beck Weathers had RK, Radial Keratotomy. RK is known to have issues at altitudes much lower than Everest.

PRK and LASIK (and IOLs) do not have these issues at altitude. NASA will even let Astronauts get LASIK. https://www.nasa.gov/pdf/676322main_Kohnen%20JCRS%202012.pdf
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 9:31:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The mountain itself isn't that hard to climb, it's that last 800ft of the Death Zone that gets you.
View Quote
It's more like 3000 feet above the death zone.  In the most easily accessible terms, the nature of the summit day climbing is akin to the Tacul-Maudit-Blanc traverse in the Alps, with a jumar past 5th class terrain thrown in.  I say this is "easily accessible" because just about anyone here can go to Chamonix, rent some gear, and give it a go ... and then imagine trying to do that at ... twice the altitude.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 9:33:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm proud to say my only (non altitude) descent that went poorly was a close call - crampon points ripped all the way through clothing & gaiters but just scratched the skin. That day we had summitted a 4000 footer in New Hampshire in February, while we were on the summit, a storm came in. You could put your foot in the snow, take it out & watch it till with snow almost instantly. Icicles in beard, snow all along one side. Wind howling so you couldn't shout & be heard.I

I miss it.
View Quote
The Whites are no joke.  Bottom line is that storms shut people down.  Strong people.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 9:35:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Read "Into Thin Air"
View Quote
For one inaccurate account of what happened.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 9:42:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The Whites are no joke.  Bottom line is that storms shut people down.  Strong people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm proud to say my only (non altitude) descent that went poorly was a close call - crampon points ripped all the way through clothing & gaiters but just scratched the skin. That day we had summitted a 4000 footer in New Hampshire in February, while we were on the summit, a storm came in. You could put your foot in the snow, take it out & watch it till with snow almost instantly. Icicles in beard, snow all along one side. Wind howling so you couldn't shout & be heard.I

I miss it.
When "sub optimal conditions" occur anywhere, an experienced climber, properly equipped & acting prudently can still die on the mountain.
The Whites can do it - to include 200+ mph winds.
You don't mock the mountain.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 9:45:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

For one inaccurate account of what happened.
View Quote
I'd probably start here :

Link Posted: 1/28/2018 9:46:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Watching the true story about the 96 tragedy it's hard to believe people put themselves in those kind of environments to say " I went where many haven't. "
View Quote

Because it is there, because it is the highest, etc draws many in. Yes the 6.5% fatality rate vs 4000 summits looks bad compared to say, human spaceflight... but the rate is much lower if you include all attempts. That said, I wouldn't climb Everest for many reasons.

However I would totally take a helicopter ride to the top with some O2 cans and ski down on the right day.

Quoted:

I don't even know if that really applies so much anymore.

Problems often arise (including during the '96 tragedy) because so many people are going up at once.
View Quote
Indeed... also the problem in May 2006. It seems like a bit of a carnival at times, the crowds, the trash the price for entry, and misplaced priorities are a bit antithetical to my approach.

Kind of a mircale less than 2 dozen were killed and only a few dozen injured by the 2015 avalanches caused by the earthquake:

Hit by Avalanche in Everest Basecamp 25.04.2015

But literally hundreds of climbers were on the mountain and were stranded.

Quoted:
Those fools on Everest are just tourists w/ SCUBA tanks, they are not to be confused with real alpine climbers.  I just thought I should clarify.
View Quote
Eh... if you are going up that high, O2 is nice if you want to lower the number of brain cells you lose.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 9:47:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Drove a car to the top of a 14’er in Colorado last year

Enjoyed it

I’ll pass on Everest
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 9:50:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Go read one of the books about the 96 disaster then step back and think about it.  I don't need to have met them to see the blatant and lethal mistakes they made.  They ignored their own rules and people died.  It's likely everyone lives if they held to the turn around time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does reading one of Krakauer's books sitting next to a colleague of one of those "tour guides" count?

Link Posted: 1/28/2018 9:52:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah but they don't leave them out there
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 9:59:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Does reading one of Krakauer's books sitting next to a colleague of one of those "tour guides" count?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/203937/_DSC0003Az-434535.jpg
View Quote
Please, please please  be reading " Into the Wild " ...
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 10:01:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
isn't it often edema of some form?

that sounds like fun
View Quote
HAPE (high altitude pulmonary edema) and HACE (cerebral edema). If you get it, those in your climbing party are going to notice, and your climb is over. You have to get as low as you can ASAP. Neither is AMS.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 10:04:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 10:07:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Id like to just see it someday.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 10:07:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Into Thin Air, a year after it was first published.

The bag at the far right of the photo?  Here's that bag about 8 days later ....

Link Posted: 1/28/2018 10:10:01 PM EDT
[#33]
I really claim no wisdom on this subject but have to comment .

The whole thing about most folks getting into trouble on the way down only makes sense .

You have gravity working more or less with you but everything else is worse. A climber would be much more tired , hungry and O2 starved on the way down than earlier in the day on the way up
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 10:14:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Those climbers are brave as hell. It’s a thrill. But gambling with you life is not something I’d prefer to mess with.
Weather changes in a heartbeat. Then your trying to travel light on low supplies and equipment to beat a storm. It’s such a fine line.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 10:16:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Anyone on arf been to everest or k2?
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 10:18:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Anyone on arf been to everest or k2?
View Quote
Not that I am aware of. The one guy I know personally had to be brought down by chopper from above the ice fall. Won't even talk about it. The mountain broke him.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 10:18:41 PM EDT
[#37]
You just have to understand. If you don't you never will.

Lord Huron - Ends of the Earth (Official Music Video)
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 10:19:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Not that I am aware of. The one guy I know personally had to be brought down by chopper from above the ice fall. Won't even talk about it. The mountain broke him.
View Quote
Damn.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 10:20:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/203937/climbing_027Cz-434566.jpg
View Quote
Fair enough.  We'll have address Jon Krakauer as a hack across his whole
body of work in another thread.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 10:22:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Clipping jumars into pre-placed fixed ropes and breathing out of a SCUBA tank is not mountain climbing.

In reality, to the serious alpinist, pre-placed ropes are cheating and O2 bottles are much too heavy to be considered practical for the speeds necessary to move in the mountains safely.

For a more realistic portrayal of what is actually real alpine climbing, check out Mark Twight's books.  He's a hard core badass.

View Quote
You didn't clarify shit.

Supplemental O2 is not SCUBA or SCBA gas or tanks, and they are pretty fucking necessary above 26,000 ft.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 10:23:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
You think K2 climbers are crazy, check out Annapurna.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 10:24:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
And here is why Arfcom is awesome.

Such amazing people here.  

We just watched Meru last week.  Incredible .   Those guys are crazy.   Seems to make Everest look like a morning walk the park.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 10:30:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It kinda has to be though.

You can't exactly send clean up crews.

And losing weight is a big deal to those climbers
Nepal Will Force Each Everest Climber To Collect 8kg Of Rubbish (2014 article)
Interesting. Didn't know that.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 10:48:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/203937/climbing_027Cz-434566.jpg
What most people don't understand about Krakauer is that he's a hell of a climber in his own right.  None of this conveys in his writing, even when he's writing about climbing, to an audience of climbers.

Krakauer probably despised Pitman with every ounce of his being.

Pitman was a competent climber, but she was very structured in her climbing - for all of her major climbs, she used guide services, and for damn good reason.  She wasn't "a real climber".  She wasn't a real climber because she didn't pay her dues as a climbing bumb.  Sitting around a campfire it would be obvious that she didn't stick her neck out on her own - and why would she?  She didn't have time for that.  She had a work schedule and life completely alien to most in the climbing community.  She was competent, but she certainly wasn't a leader, not around those campfires.

Basecamps are an amazing leadership crucible.  4 million years of human evolution playing into the guy feelings of everyone trying to size up everyone else.  Who's going to team up with whom?  Who's going to dare follow so and so?  Who's on a fools errand?  It's some pretty intangible stuff.  It's a book in of itself.

Krakauer was an outstanding climber - someone other climbers would have written about if he hadn't been the one writing about them.  Krakauer would most likely be described as a reckless climber by most outsiders.

Krakauer pushed his limits by himself.  Pitman pushed her limits in the presence of professional guides.

That Krakauer was being guided up Everest, well, that probably burned him up.  Not being able to tackle the mountain on his own merits went against ever grain of his own being.  It wasn't who he was as a climber, but it was how he paid the bills.

He writes from his perspective.  Everyone does.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 10:54:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
We just watched Meru last week.  Incredible .   Those guys are crazy.   Seems to make Everest look like a morning walk the park.
View Quote
I loved the Meru film.  But, that's understandable.  What I didn't realize was how many, outside of the climbing community, would see it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 10:55:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The main Everest routes are not particularly technical, especially with fixed ropes. Were Everest 3000ft shorter, nobody would consider it especially remarkable beyond the 14K of difference from basecamp to summit. The altitude makes it the challenge that it is.

Everest has been skied several times.

Fucking gnarly... made video hot.

Welll worth the watch. This is what determination is. And suffering. Fuck high alpine big wall, but mad respect. Meru streams free on Amazon Prime Video
View Quote
Lol. Dudes ripping butts...
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 11:17:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Yup Everest is not even that bad compared to some.  There are a lot of harder climbs out there.

These guys know what they are getting in to when they get involved in the sport of mountaineer and climbing.  Most of us long time climbers know people who paid the price.  I stopped when I got married and had a family.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's an unfortunate aspect of the sport as a whole. Spend enough time in the mountains and eventually you'll have friends who never make it home. High altitude mountaineering is a different beast entirely. Much more dangerous and consequential.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 11:45:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I miss it.
View Quote
lol

There are fields in Kansas at 4000ft.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 11:51:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

If it was easy, everyone would do it.
View Quote
If it was a lot less than $45,000 more would definately try it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 11:59:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Holy shit, Meru was good. Arfcom wins again.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top