BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 1:56:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 1:57:42 PM EDT
[#2]
You just need to understand, and leverage, your company’s Hoshin OP.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 1:58:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Unfortunately this concept is biting us all in the ass right now.

View Quote
JIT + Globalism have boned us.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 1:59:02 PM EDT
[#4]
The only thing worse than not doing lean is doing lean poorly. I do this kinda thing for a living. It's easy to fuck it up and spend a dollar to save a penny.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 1:59:43 PM EDT
[#5]
It’s just a fancy name for forecasting.

It’s stupid becasue there isn’t a hard rule for a lot of this stuff that you can copy/paste to every business so why play the dog and pony show?
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 2:01:10 PM EDT
[#6]
US:  You wanna help us?  We need X.
THEM: No worries.  The program that will eliminate your need for X is planned to start next Quarter.

(Next Quarter)

US: You wanna help us?  We still need X.
THEM: Sorry, but that program was supposed to eliminate any need for X.  Nothing I can do for you here & now, Bud.

Link Posted: 1/28/2022 2:01:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
We call it OpEx - Operational Excellence - and just in case any corporate flunkies of my peers are on this board OpEx is providing REAL VALUE to our customers and I fully embrace it.  I enjoy creating synergies as well as rooting out TIMWOOD wherever it can be found.  
View Quote

Why are you looking for Tim's wood? More importantly do you feel it was necessary to tell us???
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 2:04:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
They brought that crew through here years ago.

The engineers aren't allowed to talk to the consultants anymore. I guess we hurt some feelings.
View Quote

Engineers are like that...
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 2:05:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been in manufacturing and logistics for 30 years.

It's a $50 word heavy way of saying "hey let's find the most efficient way of actively managing this process to be as efficient as possible, while giving all the workers a say in the process and the outcome".  

The issue I have with "Lean" etc. is all the work and meetings and bullshit it takes to essentially get to where you would naturally go if everyone was doing their fucking job right in the first place, i.e. looking for the best and most efficient ways to get each part and the sum total of the operation working smoothly and well.  All that extra work, reading, meetings, and bullshit doubles your workload, and puts the focus on theory instead of execution.

And this is just my opinion, but execution is where the rubber meets the road.  

In my mind the best thing about Lean (and probably the most commonly left out item) is the concept of the "Andon Cord".  The idea is to empower every worker to call a halt to the process when they see something not right, so you can stop production when a quality issue arises and fix it immediately rather than shipping a crapload of defective product.  The problem with it is that in most big shops there is some agreement protected slug churning out 10,000 defective widgets over two days, they might see it but they don't pull the cord and stop it because they don't give a fuck.  And that problem doesn't go away by waving a magic "lean" wand.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 2:07:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Clearly, the LEAN roll-out at your Company was not done correctly, at all.

Tony

View Quote

95% of the time, even with "professional" guidance.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 2:08:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Six Sigma green belt and Lean Systems green belt checking in

Have you completed your GEMBA and MUDA walks?  I'm going to need you to send me that Ishakawa diagram, STAT

Don't forget, we need a VSM for your process as well.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 2:09:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It's like our daily scrum meetings and how we tell people we follow scrum, but there is nothing scrum-like about our development process at all. (If anything, our development process is best defined as anarchy.)
View Quote

Scrum works very well in software development, but one must have competent architects.  That's where most companies that fail at scrum, do so.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 2:11:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I and my coworkers still have no fucking idea what it does or how it does anything. It’s kinda hilarious that it gets brought up in meetings occasionally, I.e. “well we’re gonna keep doing this according to the Lean principles” but we don’t do anything different than two years ago.

We basically had a one hour training on it back then, the supervisors don’t seem to give a shit about it, and you only hear upper management really reference it.

Anyone else work for big corporations who roll out shit like this on occasion? It always seems to be forgotten about eventually.

If you don’t know what lean is, it’s this system that was primarily intended for manufacturing processes…my company isn’t even a manufacturing company whatsoever which makes it even more inane.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lean_manufacturing

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lean_Six_Sigma

View Quote

LoL….they are trying to replicate the Toyota Production System like a, “Cargo Cult”.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 2:12:00 PM EDT
[#14]
With all of the supply shortages, LEAN is biting these short sighted corporate fucks in the ass.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 2:12:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yeah my company did this too. They had a class where you had to read the book. A chapter a week or something. it was connected to the personal development of your bonus.

I didn't have to do it because I'm a consultant.

But yeah, I had trouble figuring out how this got incorporated into daily job duties.

Funny but one reason for all the shortages during the lockdown was because lean manufacturing processes caused zero inventory and factories running at max capacity. (We run ours 24/7 even on Christmas.)
View Quote

It is funny.  I find it humorous that Toyota, one of the inspirations behind the widespread lean manufacturing, had managed to stockpile more microchips (and other parts) than most other auto manufacturers.  That is decidedly *not* very 'lean'.  

I worked for an educational institution a few years back and they were sending managers to classes to transition to a 'lean business model'.  How that could apply to what we did, I have no idea.  Of course, as a member of the unwashed masses, most of that crap just comes off as gobbledygook.  I'd much rather dig ditches than listen to that kind of stuff everyday.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 2:12:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
To be honest, six sigma will appropriately generate reliable vortals. It will also let you enthusiastically synergize front-end niche markets. While also proving rapidiously architect real-time expertise. This will inturn cause your workforce to dramatically incubate innovative sprints. The benefit of that will be to ungibly innovate multidisciplinary virtualization.
View Quote

I give you a LinkedIn heart.

You just now need to work in a story of success or empowerment of a you African American who was repeatedly told he would never amount to anything.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 2:12:30 PM EDT
[#17]
About a year before I retired management came up with everything in it's place the same way on everyone's desk mandate. Came in one morning and everything on the desk was outlined in tape. Stapler, keyboard, phone, inbox/outbox - everything.
I ignored it and moved my things where I wanted them but every night after we left the office some management idiot came in and put everything inside the tape outline. Kept it up for a couple weeks but finally they dropped the whole thing. I was pretty sure of who came up the idea and that she orgasmed over taping everything the first night. Pretty sure she had a suggestion in and was trying hard to make some extra money by pushing it out.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 2:16:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Last company did that and I was involved in one of the processes. It wasted so much time and energy on something that could have been figured out in 2 15 minute meetings a week apart.

The people running the processes that got certified during that time were very proud of their certifications.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 2:22:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
To be honest, six sigma will appropriately generate reliable vortals. It will also let you enthusiastically synergize front-end niche markets. While also proving rapidiously architect real-time expertise. This will inturn cause your workforce to dramatically incubate innovative sprints. The benefit of that will be to ungibly innovate multidisciplinary virtualization.
View Quote

@midcap

You just made me spit out my coffee. I may need you to write my next resume with all of that intellectually buzz wordy bs you typed. I am a "Six Sigma Black Belt" and what I realize the most is companies love their new Jargon and all to often don't really need or want to implement any of the systems.

Link Posted: 1/28/2022 2:23:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Yes, JUST Culture and LEAN for an ambulance company.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 2:25:02 PM EDT
[#21]
My employer has been "switching to agile" for the entire 7 years I've worked there.

So far, basically no one does it.  Occasionally one or two hardcharger PMs will run a project that way while bitching about how its not working right because the organization all around them just isn't set up that way..lol

I'm just glad everyone finally dropped 90% of the corporate jargon bullshit that used to infect this place.  For the most part we all just talk like people again.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 2:25:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
sounds like another company trying to use process and buzzwords as a substitute for intelligence and competency.

My current employer has done the same with an Agile/Scrum/Kanban word salad for a few years. We were making progress up until a year ago when new projects and new upper management shoved us right back to blind chaos and endlessly dropping everything to chase the latest whim of senior leadership.
View Quote

Are you sure we don't work together?

I loved my one project management class instructor...."The first person who uses that mindless agile phrase we fail first gets kicked out of my class"
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 2:33:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Scrum works very well in software development, but one must have competent architects.  That's where most companies that fail at scrum, do so.
View Quote

It fails due to bad management much moreso in my experience.

A for instance is that the meetings in which the managers are supposed to only listen and not talk turns into an endless circle that only gets broken when they "understand" it all.

I used to fucking LOVE pointing out that we're not really embracing scrum if we're corrupting it by altering its core tenets.

And it always degenerates into more pressure at the front edge of the project, leaving maintenance, bugfixes and other critical things unhandled, and blamed on others for not finding "workarounds" because the team is "really busy on their sprint."

Link Posted: 1/28/2022 2:34:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
implementing lean manufacturing during a global supply chain collapse is fucking retarded
View Quote

Actually, it is brilliant.  With all the supply chain issues, companies are already running lean, lowering inventories, etc.

Implementation done with no effort.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 2:40:11 PM EDT
[#25]
You obviously aren't paying attention at the morning scrum
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 2:47:56 PM EDT
[#26]
If you go back to the 1940's it was basically what allowed our industrial base to turn into a war supply machine staffed with women and old men.  

The fact that it is so poorly implemented in a lot of organizations speaks to poor leadership.  You can't hire some consultants and put up some banners with buzzwords on them and expect instant change.  In fact, you're probably better off launching small improvement projects with no fan fare.  Just work to make the people that actually create value for your company more efficient.

How many of you guys complaining have ideas that would make your job easier and more efficient by eliminating some corporate BS from your life?  All it takes is strong leadership to come in and listen to the guys putting in the work and implementing the right changes.  The biggest hang up that I see today is that most of those changes mean creating a "lean" management structure.  Which means cutting out a lot of the middle management companies carry with no real benefit.

Link Posted: 1/28/2022 2:52:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I loved my one project management class instructor...."The first person who uses that mindless agile phrase we fail first gets kicked out of my class"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
sounds like another company trying to use process and buzzwords as a substitute for intelligence and competency.

My current employer has done the same with an Agile/Scrum/Kanban word salad for a few years. We were making progress up until a year ago when new projects and new upper management shoved us right back to blind chaos and endlessly dropping everything to chase the latest whim of senior leadership.

Pretty sure, I know you're in project management, and not with a bank. Plus I don't think any of our PMs are arfcom material.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 2:54:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Lean is a great system when correctly applied to a process, such as manufacturing, that would benefit from it.  If you have to struggle to apply Lean principles to your process, you’re probably misapplying Lean.

Lean is a corporate fashion statement, unfortunately.  We are going Lean!  Great things! Much Efficiency!  Savings! Wow!  Ain’t I smart!  Don’t I deserve a career achievement award for installing Lean in our facility!  Now I’ll quit before anyone still at the facility figures out Lean will never work for them.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 2:54:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

It is funny.  I find it humorous that Toyota, one of the inspirations behind the widespread lean manufacturing, had managed to stockpile more microchips (and other parts) than most other auto manufacturers.  That is decidedly *not* very 'lean'.
View Quote

It is if they adapted their processes to a foreseeable need and shortages. Rather than waiting for someone to say... "hey we're out of these widgets, you better order some."
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 2:59:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Federal agencies and even the post office are ass deep in this shit.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 2:59:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
s just my opinion, but execution is where the rubber meets the road.  

In my mind the best thing about Lean (and probably the most commonly left out item) is the concept of the "Andon Cord".  The idea is to empower every worker to call a halt to the process when they see something not right, so you can stop production when a quality issue arises and fix it immediately rather than shipping a crapload of defective product.  The problem with it is that in most big shops there is some agreement protected slug churning out 10,000 defective widgets over two days, they might see it but they don't pull the cord and stop it because they don't give a fuck.  And that problem doesn't go away by waving a magic "lean" wand.
View Quote

If there's no benefit to them why would they? So how do you create a benefit that makes them care... in a union environment.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 2:59:46 PM EDT
[#32]
I don't want to get in the weeds on this OP, but...

You may have to manage up, and double click on some of your pain points. I would recommend you get the team in a swim lane together, and put some ideas to paper. If you can get enough brain power to drill down on a few core solutions, I would expect you would find things copacetic in your wheel house.

I would setup a meeting to discuss, or circle the wagons off-line.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 3:00:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Federal agencies and even the post office are ass deep in this shit.
View Quote

Maybe that explains the AFT's 2022 program.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 3:09:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
If you are not in manufacturing or more specifically if you are in a service industry, when you hear the words Lean 6 Sigma, Lean 6 ,6 Sigma or Lean Anyfuckingthing just start looking for a job because before it is all over you will need it. If you hear it from a 32 year old in cotton dockers, boat shoes and a Hitler youth haircut then take vacation time and go find one NOW.
View Quote

That…. Is very spot on. If office space were remade this would need to be a scene.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 3:13:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Yeah we used to be big into the Lean, 5S, Kaizen stuff then about 4-5 years ago all that shit fell by the wayside and things haven't really changed. We had some upper management / executive level changes so I am guessing it was related to that.

Less busywork and bullshit to worry about.
View Quote

Where you at in SD?  sounds like my job...
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 3:20:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

I mean the words all look like English , i think
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 3:23:54 PM EDT
[#37]
They rolled out lean 6s and things git all fucky. The only thing left now is the damn shadow boards we spent hours and hours designing only now 87% of the tools are missing.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 3:27:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
If you go back to the 1940's it was basically what allowed our industrial base to turn into a war supply machine staffed with women and old men.  

The fact that it is so poorly implemented in a lot of organizations speaks to poor leadership.  You can't hire some consultants and put up some banners with buzzwords on them and expect instant change.  In fact, you're probably better off launching small improvement projects with no fan fare.  Just work to make the people that actually create value for your company more efficient.

How many of you guys complaining have ideas that would make your job easier and more efficient by eliminating some corporate BS from your life?  All it takes is strong leadership to come in and listen to the guys putting in the work and implementing the right changes.  The biggest hang up that I see today is that most of those changes mean creating a "lean" management structure.  Which means cutting out a lot of the middle management companies carry with no real benefit.

View Quote

That’s a bingo.  Lean or six sigma is cool right up until it optimizes away a layer or two of middle management.  Then there is a mad dash to justify the FTE.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 3:31:22 PM EDT
[#39]
LEAN is from Japan.

From my experiences US companies use CLEAN - Cheap LEAN. They totally ignore all the real stuff that needs to be changed and only do all the quick/easy/cheap stuff.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 3:33:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I actually really like 5S for workspaces that are used by multiple shifts/different people.

Not the gay ass tape on your desk for where your keyboard and coffee mug goes, but actual organization and standardization.
View Quote

Agree.  If I had been one of the aircraft assemblers, I would have had a hard time giving up my personal tool box - but it was good in the long run.  The product should be built to the engineering and if the engineering does not support build, it must be changed.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 3:38:05 PM EDT
[#41]
I worked at a place that totally eliminated it’s own warehouse…assuming it would contract out all delivery and could order items directly at the point of need.  Assembly could be contracted and you only needed minor oversight from a handful of employees.  

That’s going well during a global supply chain meltdown.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 3:41:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Just make sure you use the new cover page for your TPS reports. That'd be great.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 3:48:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Unleash the Kaizan!
View Quote

I was part of a Kaizan event some years ago. For a while it seemed a little different than some of the other BS streamlining programs I had been through. It seemed like they wanted everyone involved to be bought in and share their opinions on how things could best be done.

Midway through the second day it became apparent that there were too many middle managers in the room and not enough people who were actually going to be using their implemented changes. The take charge upper middle manager started just ramming through his ideas because that’s what he was used to. His underling managers were backing whatever he said because they’re used to doing that. And all the boots on the ground were rolling their eyes and preparing to endure the 2 months of being forced to implement the changes before things went back to the way they were.

In the end it just widened the chasm between the people who needed to be bought in to make it work and the people who wanted to make it work but couldn’t make it happen on their own.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 3:49:17 PM EDT
[#44]
"mumbo jumbo" to keep the lower level employees oppressed and staying in line
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 4:00:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

That’s a bingo.  Lean or six sigma is cool right up until it optimizes away a layer or two of middle management.  Then there is a mad dash to justify the FTE.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is really what it boils down to. There are different systems, different approaches, different sets of terms and ways to organize and measure efficiency. But it all comes down to competent management being able to implement a given system competently. I think most of us have seen where metrics are developed, and decisions are made based in those metrics, while painfully little is dine to make sure those metrics are really measuring what people think they are, or if there aren't perhaps better metrics that should be driving decisions.

Often, the self interest of one person or subsection of an organization, based on the what the organization itself rewards and punished, is contrary to the overall interests of an organization. It is very, very easy to create situations like this with a half-assed (and, they all are to some degree) implementation of a new management doctrine.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 4:01:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Agree.  If I had been one of the aircraft assemblers, I would have had a hard time giving up my personal tool box - but it was good in the long run.  The product should be built to the engineering and if the engineering does not support build, it must be changed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I actually really like 5S for workspaces that are used by multiple shifts/different people.

Not the gay ass tape on your desk for where your keyboard and coffee mug goes, but actual organization and standardization.

I saw Lean/6 Smegma instituted both really well and really awful.

Well:
Dude was given carte blanche to revitalize a warehouse that used to be a railroad warehouse. Thus, the ramps were parallel to the building and made 90 degree turns into and out of the warehouse. He did stopwatch and spaghetti track models only. Spend something like 10k on two straight metal ramps for the mighty mite trucks to enter on one and exit the other. It saved something like an hour and a half man-hours per day. No backing up, no additional movement. He adjusted some shelving and bulk storage to eliminate bottlenecks and allow for increased foot and forklift traffic.

Same dude did a big project on a helicopter part that had a very high man hour demand. Tracked replacement parts, tool usage, and hours. Found out that the tools were in different tool boxes and the publications were torn and worn out. Put together a plan that would have cost something like $2k for two additional sets of tools, two dedicated carts, and printed and laminated instruction manuals. The boss flipped out, screaming about how he was saying his guys didn't know how to fix stuff, and how they needed toughbooks for the pubs. 6S dude gives up, they buy toughbooks, which quickly broke and couldn't be used with gloves on or in the bright sun.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 4:27:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I was part of a Kaizan event some years ago. For a while it seemed a little different than some of the other BS streamlining programs I had been through. It seemed like they wanted everyone involved to be bought in and share their opinions on how things could best be done.

Midway through the second day it became apparent that there were too many middle managers in the room and not enough people who were actually going to be using their implemented changes. The take charge upper middle manager started just ramming through his ideas because that’s what he was used to. His underling managers were backing whatever he said because they’re used to doing that. And all the boots on the ground were rolling their eyes and preparing to endure the 2 months of being forced to implement the changes before things went back to the way they were.

In the end it just widened the chasm between the people who needed to be bought in to make it work and the people who wanted to make it work but couldn’t make it happen on their own.
View Quote

A former employer instituted Kaizan as well.  The mfg employess actually came up with a good plan that was far superior to what mfg management was doing.  "That's a great idea guys but we already have a process in place and we're goint to stick with that."  Genius.  They spent nearly a $1M on this Kaizan stuff, including flying the Kaizan guru in from Japan to give a speach.  The funny part is he doesn't speak English and nobody hired a translator.  The had all of the mfg people in the big conference room listening to this guy babble on in Japanese for a couple of hours.  Not a single manager or director had the the guts to say anything because this was some VP's idea(former GE guy).  Add in 5S, Lean and 6Sigma simultaneously and the whole company was a cluster for years.  You wouldn't believe how many tools were thrown out for 5S.  Many of them custom for specific products.  What a shit show that place turned into.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 4:27:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was on a call with management and some developers, and the developers said they can't deliver something within a certain time frame because of xyz reasons, and instead it would take 3 times as long.

One of the managers said "can't we just be more agile?"

Eventually, they cut every corner they could, and the project collapsed under the weight of incompetency.

I don't know what some people are thinking. Oh we can't deliver something with our resources in this time frame. I know, let's be more agile!

It's like some kind of magic word that overcomes reality, I guess.

Meanwhile, people who do understand what agile is are setting reasonable goals, and then adjusting them as they learn more.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 4:32:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
implementing lean manufacturing during a global supply chain collapse is fucking retarded
View Quote

Maybe the global supply chain can just become more lean?
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 5:16:33 PM EDT
[#50]
This is how management adds value to an organization. Convincing those above them that they are implementing the latest wonderfad from whatever CEO magazine they read while waiting at the dentist office.

A big roll out then zero resources applied to actually making the solution work as designed (particularly bad with things like ITIL and Agile/Scrum that actually require dedicated resources to make them function as designed.

Give it a year, two at the outside and no one will even mention  the old fad and a new one will take it's place.

Wash, rinse, repeat.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top