Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 12:52:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Love my 509T. Even though the trigger leaves a lot to be desired.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 1:03:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I suppose it's boring if you LIKE all the other polymer 10mm offerings, but I don't.  I love my FNX Tactical 45 and I really like my FN 509 Tactical as well.  I don't particularly care for the Glock 10mm's or the SIG polymer 10mm.  
As for support, I stand by what I said.  I have owned many guns that didn't offer warranty support.  In fact, there've only been two guns I've ever owned that I actually GOT warranty support for.  Ironically, one of them was a SIG 10mm.  But neither of those guns was something I'd had lying around for years.  If a gun breaks right after I buy it and I'm not satisfied with the factory response, it's gone.  Sold or traded.  If it doesn't break in the initial period, I've always considered repair my own responsibility.  It's a non-issue.
View Quote
I have a Gen 3 GLOCK 20 and GLOCK 29, both were before those whole SF thing too. Other than that, I don't have 10mm pistols. I had a FNP-45 USG and it was a festering pile of failure. If I want to shoot magnum loads, I'll stick with revolvers. I can get a heck of a lot more out of a wheel gun than an automatic can handle. .41 Magnum, .44 Magnum, .45 Colt, .454 Casull, and .460 S&W Magnum.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 1:10:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have a Gen 3 GLOCK 20 and GLOCK 29, both were before those whole SF thing too. Other than that, I don't have 10mm pistols. I had a FNP-45 USG and it was a festering pile of failure. If I want to shoot magnum loads, I'll stick with revolvers. I can get a heck of a lot more out of a wheel gun than an automatic can handle. .41 Magnum, .44 Magnum, .45 Colt, .454 Casull, and .460 S&W Magnum.
View Quote

Good for you.  I don't like revolvers that much and the whole matter has no bearing on my desire to try the FN 510.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 1:16:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Good for you.  I don't like revolvers that much and the whole matter has no bearing on my desire to try the FN 510.
View Quote
The 510 is FN entering into a crowded market and playing catch-up. I wish them luck, but in the end, they're just another polymer framed striker fired gun in a crowded market and they have a poor history of dumping support for products that don't sell well. Will the 510 sell well? That's the question.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 1:19:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The 510 is FN entering into a crowded market and playing catch-up. I wish them luck, but in the end, they're just another polymer framed striker fired gun in a crowded market and they have a poor history of dumping support for products that don't sell well. Will the 510 sell well? That's the question.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not my question though.  To be honest, I couldn't give a shit less if it sells well.  I'm only interested in the one example they sell to me.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 1:45:59 PM EDT
[#6]
At least FN is using a model naming scheme that makes sense
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 1:54:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That's not my question though.  To be honest, I couldn't give a shit less if it sells well.  I'm only interested in the one example they sell to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nooooo you can't buy things based on what you like noooooo

Think about the market wide impact
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 2:11:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Folks can gladly buy it.... I just know FN's history and that will be a detractor to some buyers.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 2:13:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yup...

Barracuda dead
HP-DA dead
BDM dead
Forty-Nine dead
Five-seveN life support
FNP dead
FNX dying
FNS dying
509/510/545
High-Power
HiPer

FN Herstal has a new striker fired design already out in Europe, the HiPer.

https://www.gunsweek.com/sites/default/files/archive/contents/pistols/news/fn-hiper-9mm-semiautomatic-service-pistol/FN-HiPer-2.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The FNP was a POS and replaced by the FNX.
The FNX had its own issues.

Modern FN has a history of short runs and model changes on their handgun designs.

Yup...

Barracuda dead
HP-DA dead
BDM dead
Forty-Nine dead
Five-seveN life support
FNP dead
FNX dying
FNS dying
509/510/545
High-Power
HiPer

https://www.gunsweek.com/sites/default/files/archive/contents/pistols/news/fn-hiper-9mm-semiautomatic-service-pistol/FN-HiPer-2.jpg

That’s the shit I do want.

The ergonomics look great. Especially for me with my jacked up right thumb, American style button mag release are impossible for me to operate without dramatically changing my grip.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 2:37:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I predict these new models will be reliable, will sell great, will shoot well, and people will mostly be happy with them.  I say mostly because I wonder if the trigger will be any good.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 3:14:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Folks can gladly buy it.... I just know FN's history and that will be a detractor to some buyers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me. Between product support and the dramatic price increases on parts and mags as of late, I find it a detractor.

Sucks, because I’m a fan of the 509CC Edge. But I’m not going to shell out $1400 for a pistol FN might pretend doesn’t exist in five years.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 3:21:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
And just like that, the FNX is pretty much dead. (It already had one foot in the grave.)
View Quote

I’ve made the mistake twice of buying new FN pistols only to have their obsolescence arrive incredibly quickly, which meant that mags and guns were no longer supported.

Fool me once…
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 3:24:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yup...

Barracuda dead
HP-DA dead
BDM dead
Forty-Nine dead
Five-seveN life support
FNP dead
FNX dying
FNS dying
509/510/545
High-Power
HiPer

View Quote

As a consumer who appreciates longer lived designs and intermodel magazine compatibility, FN pistols are a hard pass. Why waste your money on something that will be replaced tomorrow?
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 3:32:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

As a consumer who appreciates longer lived designs and intermodel magazine compatibility, FN pistols are a hard pass. Why waste your money on something that will be replaced tomorrow?
View Quote

Yeah, I mean everyone knows that guns stop shooting and magazines stop working after the model is replaced.  You may as well go ahead and throw them away at that point...

Link Posted: 1/11/2023 3:46:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yeah, I mean everyone knows that guns stop shooting and magazines stop working after the model is replaced.  You may as well go ahead and throw them away at that point...

View Quote

Of course they don’t but that’s not the point.

You don’t find FN’s frequency of obsolescence to be unreasonable as a consumer?
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 3:51:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. Because I like continuous improvement.

Most of you don’t even shoot enough for this to be a realistic concern.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 3:57:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.  Why the hell would I?  I judge a gun by how it shoots for me, not whether it's still in production.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 4:10:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Given your proclivity for obsolete firearms such as revolvers and 3rd generation Smiths, I'm not sure we should turn to you for advice on where the firearms market is headed.

There is a seeming resurgence in 10mm Auto, polymer framed, striker fired handguns. If you are a manufacturer, it would be a bit silly not to take advantage of that.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 4:14:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Given your proclivity for obsolete firearms such as revolvers and 3rd generation Smiths, I'm not sure we should turn to you for advice on where the firearms market is headed.

There is a seeming resurgence in 10mm Auto, polymer framed, striker fired handguns. If you are a manufacturer, it would be a bit silly not to take advantage of that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have over thirty GLOCKs.... My collection isn't just limited to Wheel Guns and 3rd Gen Autos. The market is fully going with polymer framed striker fired guns and yes, 10mm is gaining popularity. The thing is.... FN has a history of doing poorly in supporting their products. S&W supports their products, GLOCK supports their products, SIG supports their products (to a degree). FN has a history of pumping and dumping.

I can send GLOCK a pistol made in 1988 and they'd still support it. I can't go that with something FN made less than a decade ago.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 4:15:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
There comes a point in handgun size where I'd rather just have a rifle.

*shrug*

View Quote

The EXACT thought I just had.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 4:22:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There comes a point in handgun size where I'd rather just have a rifle.

*shrug*

It's about the size of a Glock 20, which isn't hard to conceal carry.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 5:14:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Are they squishy too?
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 5:27:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 5:44:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have over thirty GLOCKs.... My collection isn't just limited to Wheel Guns and 3rd Gen Autos. The market is fully going with polymer framed striker fired guns and yes, 10mm is gaining popularity. The thing is.... FN has a history of doing poorly in supporting their products. S&W supports their products, GLOCK supports their products, SIG supports their products (to a degree). FN has a history of pumping and dumping.

I can send GLOCK a pistol made in 1988 and they'd still support it. I can't go that with something FN made less than a decade ago.
View Quote

The market seems to be going to hammer fired SAOs. Numerous 2011s have either come out recently or are planned, and there's the DWX as well.

Poly/strikers are a saturated market with little differentiation aside from maybe the P99AS.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 5:51:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The market seems to be going to hammer fired SAOs. Numerous 2011s have either come out recently or are planned, and there's the DWX as well.

Poly/strikers are a saturated market with little differentiation aside from maybe the P99AS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hammer fired SAOs are a fad for gun golf. Every major manufacturer has a polymer frame striker fired pistols.

GLOCK, HK, SIG, S&W, Ruger, Beretta, Walther, Steyr, FN, SA/HS, IWI, etc...
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 5:54:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The question isn't whether or not a manufacturer should update their product portfolio.

The question is the extent to which a manufacturer should continue to provide parts, accessories, and service support to outgoing models.

Some companies, like Ruger, will help customers with old used guns they haven't manufactured in decades.

Other companies, like Sig Sauer, will suddenly discontinue modern/recent guns, and then tell their customers to piss up a rope.

FN seems to be pretty close to the latter.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 6:00:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The question isn't whether or not a manufacturer should update their product portfolio.

The question is the extent to which a manufacturer should continue to provide parts, accessories, and service support to outgoing models.

Some companies, like Ruger, will help customers with old used guns they haven't manufactured in decades.

Other companies, like Sig Sauer, will suddenly discontinue modern/recent guns, and then tell their customers to piss up a rope.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course they don't but that's not the point.

You don't find FN's frequency of obsolescence to be unreasonable as a consumer?

Most of you don't even shoot enough for this to be a realistic concern.

Exactly.

I have a 1989 production Mini-14GB. Ruger sent me a work authorization order and is working on my rifle as we speak. The stock for my SIG 522 strangely melted and SIG has said "Oh well, so sad."
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 6:04:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Can't see myself buying one (either one.)

Grabbed some FNS pistols a few years back.   FNS in 4" and 5" and FNS-C, all in .40 S&W.

I can get used to the triggers, on those.  Mine were factory.  A buddy had a couple and put Apex triggers in his and said they were awesome.  Then he sold them.

The FNS could have been an awesome pistol for me.  All kinds of neat features you have to dig into the find/understand the value of.  The issue was groups (yeah, I know I bitch about groups all the time, my old Colt Combat Commander and my CZ pistols spoiled me)  The FNS Longslide begins to shine with the Win. 180 grain hollow points.  That ammo did not help the 4" or Compact models.

Just can't afford to keep buying guns hoping they'll shoot better groups than they do.

Good luck to you guys that buy these.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 6:14:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Hammer fired SAOs are a fad for gun golf. Every major manufacturer has a polymer frame striker fired pistols.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The polymer striker thing was at full force and nearing saturation a decade ago. Everyone wants to make one because they have the best margins in the industry, but half of the companies you list have failed repeatedly, and they're just throwing crap at the wall to see what sticks.

I wouldn't consider Ruger, Beretta, Steyr, FN, or IWI to be successful in the polymer striker segment, and most of those companies have made at least 2 major attempts.

HK and Walther are kind of dubious. The VP9 and PPQ are good guns, but they have a very low market share, and they mostly sell to people who favor those brands. You can probably add CZ and their P10 to that list, too.

People who want polymer striker guns are either buying from the big 4 (Glock, S&W, SA, and Sig) or patent expired clones thereof like the Dagger or Shadow Systems guns. People shopping outside that group are looking for something that is nice, more fun, or more interesting than another McPistol from a different brand.

This is the reason the revolver market is blossoming.

This is the reason 1911 and 2011 variants are seeing yet another renaissance.

This is the reason companies like Beretta and Sig are doubling down on legacy designs like the 92 and P210 despite having striker guns in their catalog.

Repeat consumers in the firearms market are very much bored with ARs and polymer striker guns. New polymer striker pistols will continue to fail on the market unless they do something interesting to differentiate themselves from the Big 4.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 6:18:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Press X to doubt.

X

People liked SAOs since the 1911 bro. I'm sure plenty thought striker fired was a fad.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 6:19:41 PM EDT
[#31]

That's what she said
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 6:21:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the 509 is staying. LAPD got a bit contract as did some other LE agencies. FNS is going to be discontinued if it wasn't already.

FNX line is probably on life support. Unlike the USP it never caught on and keeping a non-striker pistol that has no previous widespread institutional use or nostalgia (like the Beretta 92 or P226) is probably a money looser.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 6:24:26 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm still not impressed.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 6:29:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I think the 509 is staying. LAPD got a bit contract as did some other LE agencies. FNS is going to be discontinued if it wasn't already.

FNX line is probably on life support. Unlike the USP it never caught on and keeping a non-striker pistol that has no previous widespread institutional use or nostalgia (like the Beretta 92 or P226) is probably a money looser.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The FNS is pretty much dead. Especially after it had its own fiasco with being able to fire without the trigger being pulled.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 6:31:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Neat, but the 'stendos need to go.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 6:31:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Press X to doubt.

X

People liked SAOs since the 1911 bro. I'm sure plenty thought striker fired was a fad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Press X to doubt.

X

Yep.

And expect most companies that make 1911s to make optics ready 1911s in the next year or two if they haven't done so already.

There's another trend worth mentioning: internal hammer SAOs. Because that seems to be happening, too.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 7:28:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because the market was going that way 20-30 years ago.

How many new ones are coming out that aren't updates/replacements for a previously existing product line?
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 8:17:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

How many new ones are coming out that aren't updates/replacements for a previously existing product line?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FN apparently doesn't just update their line. They start from scratch. First they had the Forty-Nine, followed by the FNS, now the 509/510/545 line, while concurrently, in Europe, they have the HiPer line. So, it appears that FN is already looking at ditching the 509/510/545 line for European contracts since it hasn't sold well there. I'm curious at how long before they bring the HiPer over to the US market.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 8:49:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

FN apparently doesn't just update their line. They start from scratch. First they had the Forty-Nine, followed by the FNS, now the 509/510/545 line, while concurrently, in Europe, they have the HiPer line. So, it appears that FN is already looking at ditching the 509/510/545 line for European contracts since it hasn't sold well there. I'm curious at how long before they bring the HiPer over to the US market.
View Quote

Yeah and that, along with their pricing-to include on parts they do offer support for-are pretty shitty, but when is the last time they were really a player in the handgun market?
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 8:58:11 PM EDT
[#40]
FN convinced me to give them another chance with the 509, they won’t fool me again.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top