BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 9:01:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Not the plumbers fault.

Framers can move floor joists, plumbers can't move toilets.
View Quote
You know the framers don't give a shit about the plumbing.  Benefit of being first on the job.

how are you going to properly box it in with the pipe installed?

plumber should of told the GC to get it boxed in ASAP so he can do the job correctly.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 9:12:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Spouse and I were looking to buy new custom construction some years back in a new subdivision. Went for a spin through the area to see the crews working.

Studs that weren't the right length being toe nailed into place anyway. Guys using caulk instead of grout on tile floors. Drywallers drywalling in a closet so that it had no doorway.

That was a hard pass. People we knew that bought into that subdivision were fixing problems for years after buying.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 9:13:04 AM EDT
[#3]
That's a hard no, there....
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 9:16:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Not on the topic, but why you Americans are so obsesed of wood constructed houses ?
Regular two story home with a basement, 1500 sq ft each floor , build by reinforced concrete frame [ columns, load-bearing walls, floors ] and brick walls costs 100k-150k euros [ $115k-$170k ] over here .  Isn't it similar in the US ? What's the cons of this type of constructions in the USA ?

Something like this , for example :

Link Posted: 6/28/2020 9:16:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Who runs abs in new construction?

And that looks like a 2” line, not a toilet.
View Quote

I was thinking the same thing. They should use PB water lines to complement the ABS throwback.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 9:20:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Particle board subfloor.....LOL

Might as well go cheap on everything else.

Edit: Excuse me....."engineered wood"
View Quote

I've never seen actual plywood used as subfloor in new construction. I use 3/4 OSB that has tongue and groove joints.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 9:28:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I was thinking the same thing. They should use PB water lines to complement the ABS throwback.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who runs abs in new construction?

And that looks like a 2" line, not a toilet.

Pretty sure its not the toilet exhaust but tub's or bathroom floor's siphon  .
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 9:30:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I've never seen actual plywood used as subfloor in new construction. I use 3/4 OSB that has tongue and groove joints.
View Quote

I’ll take 3/4” osb subfloor any day over plywood. Stiffer, stronger, waterproof, it’s tongue and groove and it’s actually flat and square.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 9:32:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don’t see s stack anywhere for a toilet.

I’m betting it’s a kitchen sink in. An island that was added in by the customer after Framing was completed.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 9:34:48 AM EDT
[#10]

Hell, thats how ive done it on old single wide mobile home where i fixed rotted floor. Gotta have supports.

Cant believe plumber / contractor thought it was ok to leave it in OP’s pic
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 9:38:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Got paid to sister a joist in a basement this week. 8" of its 9" depth had been cut out for the p-trap of the tub above. It was a big tub, and the homeowners were big people.

I can understand a plumber saying, not my problem, architect and framers screwed up. It's a crappy move, but hey, they're plumbers. But were was the builder? How do you walk through, see what the plumber did and not care or do anything about it?
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 9:41:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I don't see s stack anywhere for a toilet.

I'm betting it's a kitchen sink in. An island that was added in by the customer after Framing was completed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm betting it's a kitchen sink in. An island that was added in by the customer after Framing was completed.
Hmmm how I see it -left pipe is bathroom sink, the right one bathroom floor's siphon. Both goes in the biggest , perpendicular pipe . Somewhere at the ends of that pipe is the toilet connection, it's no shown on the pic. .
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 9:43:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You know the framers don't give a shit about the plumbing.  Benefit of being first on the job.

plumber should of told the GC to get it boxed in ASAP so he can do the job correctly.
View Quote

The framer will just cut the pipe and the plumbers will fix it when the framer is done.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 9:44:04 AM EDT
[#14]
These are the sorts of things Ahmad Arbery was trying to investigate.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 9:44:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Looks a lot like my work
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 9:46:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Has anyone mentioned the plywood edge is 1" past the cut in the joist?
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 9:49:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Not on the topic, but why you Americans are so obsesed of wood constructed houses ?
Regular two story home with a basement, 1500 sq ft each floor , build by reinforced concrete frame [ columns, load-bearing walls, floors ] and brick walls costs 100k-150k euros [ $115k-$170k ] over here .  Isn't it similar in the US ? What's the cons of this type of constructions in the USA ?

http://www.mybgagent.com/images/pi_100769_2.jpg
http://www.mybgagent.com/images/pi_100771_4.jpg
View Quote

Because it's quick, cheap, and can be constructed by relatively unskilled labor. I'd rather have a house built like the one in that picture, but something similar would probably cost $300-500k to build here with all the specialized skilled labor required, vs 200k or so for something stick built.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 9:52:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Concrete construction is not rare in many parts of the US but wood frame is generally cheaper. I don't think you'd do new construction in the US for a house like that for that amount.

People also like new more here, and as styles of design in houses get outdated they are hard to sell. You can date a neighborhood in the US by the predominant home style, and there are tons of neighborhoods around here for instance that are almost nothing but mid 70s split levels that are really hard to sell.

"Open concept" has been a big thing here for a while but I'm sure it will change before long too.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 9:55:17 AM EDT
[#19]
N/M... pic got me looking all wonky
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 9:56:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Woah lol

maybe they're coming back to head it off?
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 9:57:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Plumbers should know better
View Quote

Apartment complex in grand haven we wired had 30 somthing hit or cut up by the plumbers

They had to cut holes in the building and slide in new joists
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 10:00:48 AM EDT
[#22]

Ideally, the architect would be paying attention and not put a toilet or shower drain directly on top of a joist though.

Some have mentioned it could have been a change order though, that would explain it.

Link Posted: 6/28/2020 10:06:36 AM EDT
[#23]
That's going to be one noisy/squeaky floor in about 6 months.

Those joists look to be white-wood, not even Doug fir, which is
bad enough for floor joists.

When all those joists dry and shrink, that floor is going to be very
substandard. Maybe they use really thick carpet.

Or maybe they are using some type of gyp-crete on the floor.
That might buy them some forgiveness for cheap joists.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 10:07:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Concrete construction is not rare in many parts of the US but wood frame is generally cheaper. I don't think you'd do new construction in the US for a house like that for that amount.

People also like new more here, and as styles of design in houses get outdated they are hard to sell. You can date a neighborhood in the US by the predominant home style, and there are tons of neighborhoods around here for instance that are almost nothing but mid 70s split levels that are really hard to sell.

"Open concept" has been a big thing here for a while but I'm sure it will change before long too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hah interesting. The same house build by the american style will cost equal or even more over here . Reinforced concrete is cheaper over here than a good wooden elements . 1 cubic meter concrete is $70 roughly , the steel is $0.7-$0.8 per kg.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 10:25:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

So I'm building a home next year and I'll be spec'ing it.

I want to do my floors like this...

i-joists (sized for the span) with glue in the hangers or on the ledger depending on how it ends up getting built
Huber advantech 23/32" decking glued and screwed
uponor radiant heating
maxxon thermafloor
tile or engineered hardwood

Is that going to get me a pretty good floor or should I got to the 7/8 or 1" decking?

this i MY HOUSE, so cheap or fast and get to the next job are not considerations.

Link Posted: 6/28/2020 10:27:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

"Not my job"
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 10:28:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Not the plumbers fault.

Framers can move floor joists, plumbers can't move toilets.
View Quote

See?
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 11:00:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
I was standing in the kitchen (Or near to it) when I took the pic. Thats the 2nd floor that I'm looking at so has to be bathroom or laundry room.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 11:04:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Thats a perfect example of how it should be done. I'm half tempted to keep an eye on this one house to see if they fix it up before drywalling over it and walking off.....

The house is north of 400k so I'd expect better to be honest.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Thats a perfect example of how it should be done. I'm half tempted to keep an eye on this one house to see if they fix it up before drywalling over it and walking off.....

The house is north of 400k so I'd expect better to be honest.

$400k here gets you a fucking shack that's a piece of shit from day 1.  

lowest quality materials, lowest bidders, etc.  

Link Posted: 6/28/2020 11:10:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Just bridge it with a few strips of scrap load bearing plywood
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 12:14:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Yea, That needs to be boxed
View Quote
PSSSHHH!!! It'll be aight.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 12:16:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Wait.  So you just walked into a new construction house?  Were you just jogging by?  
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 12:26:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Particle board subfloor.....LOL

Might as well go cheap on everything else.

Edit: Excuse me....."engineered wood"

We used to do it where actual tile was to be used. Not sure exactly why for that builder.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 12:28:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I’m betting it’s a kitchen sink in. An island that was added in by the customer after Framing was completed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They could have missed the joist then
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 12:32:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Has anyone mentioned the plywood edge is 1" past the cut in the joist?
View Quote

That is the tongue and groove connection. Floor sheathing seams run parallel with the joists.

@youngandfree
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 12:38:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
What does plumber rhyme with?

Dumb ass can't even steer a Sawzall
View Quote

Guys who make 6 figures with a high school diploma....
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 12:42:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Who uses ABS pipe anymore?
View Quote

It's pretty common in the spokane/Seattle area. Farther you get from there the less common it becomes..
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 12:49:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Hmmm how I see it -left pipe is bathroom sink, the right one bathroom floor's siphon. Both goes in the biggest , perpendicular pipe . Somewhere at the ends of that pipe is the toilet connection, it's no shown on the pic. .
View Quote

Pipe thru the joist is 3" and you can see the toilet flange is already glued on with about 1/4" between fittings.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 12:54:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I think it's standard out west...by code.
View Quote

All of my plastic lines are ABS and my house was built in then late 1990s.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 1:15:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Shitty framers don't. Framers like me do.

We don't work for shitty builders though, since they only seem to want to hire shitty framers.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 1:15:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

i-joists (sized for the span) with glue in the hangers or on the ledger depending on how it ends up getting built
uponor radiant heating
maxxon thermafloor

Is that going to get me a pretty good floor or should I got to the 7/8 or 1" decking?

this i MY HOUSE, so cheap or fast and get to the next job are not considerations.

View Quote

What I found out in my many years of being a builder, is you want to give yourself
a margin of error regarding the spans of your I-joists. Don't run them to the max.
If you are getting close to the maximum rated span, I would upsize.

You are correct in using glue everywhere you can, that is in contact with the joists.
Hangars, beams, etc.

Around here 3/4 T&G OSB was the standard for the subfloor. They also make an 1-1/8
T&G OSB, but I never used it. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea, though.

Carpet would go directly over the OSB. Wherever there was tile, an underlayment, such
as Denshield, would be used.

My floors were always quiet and solid. You didn't get that springy feeling as you walked.

I've actually been in houses under construction, that were built by mass-production builders.
As you walked across the floor, the vibration made the ductwork in the ceiling rattle!
Not my idea of a quality floor.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 1:18:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
For the uneducated, why is that bad/wrong?

Thanks
View Quote

They cut the floor joist, hence the floor will not have sufficient support there, and will flex/warp, and do other things that a solid joist is supposed to prevent.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 1:19:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

uponor radiant heating
maxxon thermafloor

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

uponor radiant heating
maxxon thermafloor

I know you weren't asking me, but 3/4" T&G is fine for a 16" OC floor.

A drop of glue on the bottom of the hanger and the top sides is proper installation for BCIs or TJIs, depending on what your local lot sells. Might want to go a size up, at least on the chords.

There are some other things I do other builders don't, but loose lips and all.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 2:10:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I know you weren't asking me, but 3/4" T&G is fine for a 16" OC floor.

A drop of glue on the bottom of the hanger and the top sides is proper installation for BCIs or TJIs, depending on what your local lot sells. Might want to go a size up, at least on the chords.

There are some other things I do other builders don't, but loose lips and all.
View Quote

Yeah, I was going to do that depending on where the ended up. I can always add 2" in my basement if I know in advance.

I may want to chat with you soon about your secret tips... Can you be bribed?

Yeah, definitely 16". 24" is from the devil!  

My sister had a house with 24" joists.  Walking down the hall made all the knic-nacs in the master bedroom, which was over the garage, rattle!

Link Posted: 6/28/2020 2:15:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Should double joist on either side . Blocks between and hangers on all connections.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 2:46:38 PM EDT
[#46]
When I was remodeling my bathroom some hack did something similar. Cut the stud to put an elbow to the waste pipe.

I'm still not 100% sure why they did that, because he didn't need to at all.

I had to sister a stud there, but luckily there wasn't any structural issues.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 3:52:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

They do know better, but they're the worst offenders when it comes to cutting joists. Most of them just figure it ain't their problem - they need to run drain lines and they cut out any shit that's in their way. Job done.

It should be illegal for plumbers to own saws.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 3:58:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

You can get 3/4 inch plywood that is t&g as well it just cost twice as much.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 4:01:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Fucking plumbers, boy! They just dont give a fuck.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 4:03:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Wait.  So you just walked into a new construction house?  Were you just jogging by?  
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top