Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:20:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Go on. I need a new truck in a few years. I am unsure if I am going to buy or lease. If I buy a truck it will have a v8.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:20:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Interesting!!!!
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:22:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Ford 2015 - "Haha it's not 1961 Grandpa! All anyone could ever want is a little Vee-six!"
Ford 2020 - "WE HEARD YOU LIKE DISPLACEMENT"

Ford F-150 Tremor with a 6.8L V8 in it would be amazing, holy fuck.
Enough so to make me think real hard about trading in my truck that had zero intention on ever selling.
What a time to be alive. So many choices from the truck makers, and a lot of them are really fucking good.

Assuming this is true (And we don't know if it is) - I wonder if Detroit is thinking Orangeman might win this, and thusly CAFE standards might get kneecapped.
They might be responding to that.

Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:25:48 PM EDT
[#4]
That would be cool to have a second v8 option.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:26:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Just wait...pushrods will now be the best thing ever.  Fucking Ford fanboys are a scourge.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:26:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Next stop $4.0 gasoline to match these new engines.  But yea fuck small displacement engines for doing truck things.  Going to keep rocking my 5.0 for awhile longer.  I am sure Ford will fuck with it though and give us lovely features like cylinder deactivation and engine shut off to go with it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:27:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ford 2015 - "Haha it's not 1961 Grandpa! All anyone could ever want is a little Vee-six!"
Ford 2020 - "WE HEARD YOU LIKE DISPLACEMENT"

Ford F-150 Tremor with a 6.8L V8 in it would be amazing, holy fuck.
Enough so to make me think real hard about trading in my truck that had zero intention on ever selling.
What a time to be alive. So many choices from the truck makers, and a lot of them are really fucking good.

Assuming this is true (And we don't know if it is) - I wonder if Detroit is thinking Orangeman might win this, and thusly CAFE standards might get kneecapped.
They might be responding to that.

View Quote

Forced induction version of this engine and coil rear suspension in next get Raptor.  You know Ford has been sitting on plans for 10 years of what to do when someone comes out with a raptor competitor.  Wonder if they would ever do long trailing arm independent rear like sport SxS?

Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:28:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Fords been hitting it out of the park lately.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:30:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Let’s not also forget about Fords recent CEO change. Farley is a car guy;)
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:30:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Next stop $4.0 gasoline to match these new engines.  But yea fuck small displacement engines for doing truck things.  Going to keep rocking my 5.0 for awhile longer.  I am sure Ford will fuck with it though and give us lovely features like cylinder deactivation and engine shut off to go with it.
View Quote

I eliminated start/stop along with a few other undesirable things with a $15 cable and a free program.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:30:31 PM EDT
[#11]
The future is now, ecoboost fanboys.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:31:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Alright...put this in the Expedition...Ford Folks...and we're buying one...(Lord willing of course)...

YeeeeHaaaa!
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:31:34 PM EDT
[#13]
So a downsize Godzilla engine.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:31:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Why 7.3 and 6.8 gas?
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:31:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Fords been hitting it out of the park lately.
View Quote

I bet this puppy will end up in a Bronco down the line...
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:32:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:32:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Just wait...pushrods will now be the best thing ever.  Fucking Ford fanboys are a scourge.
View Quote

People that hate everything are exhausting.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:33:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Large displacement engines with modern heads and injection systems would mean BIG power.  This appeals to me.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:33:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah it sucks when a company gives their customers choices.

ETA:  Also, would you rather they were nearly 100% focused on making oversized Powerwheels like GM, or developing kick-ass new gas engines?
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:33:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Does this mark the end of EcoBoost? If so, that kinda sucks because that's one of the reasons I bought an F150. 2.7 liters is one thing, but just imagine what a 6.8 would make with twin turbos. I bet Ford could get the emissions down to legal levels if they really tried.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:34:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Why 7.3 and 6.8 gas?
View Quote

they are narrow?
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:34:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yes
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes

They could make it aluminum also
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:35:33 PM EDT
[#23]
But why?
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:35:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

they are narrow?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why 7.3 and 6.8 gas?

they are narrow?

Yeah, Coyote's downfall will be how fucking massive it is.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:37:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

The 4.9L (pushrod) inline six, E4OD transmission, manual locking hubs, and limited slip was the best combo I've ever owned in a truck

Love,

Scourge

Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:37:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I eliminated start/stop along with a few other undesirable things with a $15 cable and a free program.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All you had to do was pull a plug under the dash, $0.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:39:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Put a V8 in the new Bronco

Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:43:13 PM EDT
[#28]
But the Coyote is a great engine? What's the reason for going to this new engine?
Also, how awkward it must be after all the smack talk about GM v8's still using pushrods....only to return to them.

P.S. GM = King of pushrod tech.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:43:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yeah it sucks when a company gives their customers choices.
View Quote
I'm all for choices and I think a short stroke godzilla is a great idea...its just like talking to NRA supporters.  Everything they do is the best ever because reasons.

OHC because pushrods are so old. SFA because death wobble isn't a thing and my fteenthousand needs articulation, small displacement turbos because its the future, that fucked up high pressure oil injection system on diesels, now HotV turbo setups....now we're circling back to pushrod engines in sports cars and it will be awesome...

Ok.  I agree. Pushrod V8s are the titties..welcome to always.

Maybe I'm just grumpy today but humanity is making me tired
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:44:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why 7.3 and 6.8 gas?

they are narrow?

Wonder if it'll fit into the Ford Warthog?
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:44:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Call me skeptical about the engine going in the 150s and Mustangs in any appreciable fashion. Ford's future is electric, they just broke ground on a gazillion dollar electric plant for '22. It may replace the 5.0, but it won't go in the Raptor. The Raptor is about highlighting the tech and what that is and modernize. Every next gen Raptor they have spotted testing as a distinct V6 sound. Ferrari is going V6 in the F series lineup. With Rivian, GMC and Tesla coming out with pure electric trucks, the Mach E "Mustang", they aren't going backwards. I just cannot see that as a business model
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:47:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Call me skeptical about the engine going in the 150s and Mustangs in any appreciable fashion. Ford's future is electric, they just broke ground on a gazillion dollar electric plant for '22. It may replace the 5.0, but it won't go in the Raptor. The Raptor is about highlighting the tech and what that is and modernize. Every next gen Raptor they have spotted testing as a distinct V6 sound. Ferrari is going V6 in the F series lineup. With Rivian, GMC and Tesla coming out with pure electric trucks, the Mach E "Mustang", they aren't going backwards. I just cannot see that as a business model
View Quote

https://www.thedrive.com/news/35890/2021-ford-f-150-raptor-will-have-700-hp-supercharged-v8-from-mustang-gt500-report

New 2022 Ford Raptor F-150 First Video! V8 Engine Sound Heard?!
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:48:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why 7.3 and 6.8 gas?

they are narrow?

It's the reason GM kept a pushrod engine in the C7.

Lighter weight. (Good for performance)
Simpler engine (tends to be a positive for reliability, though DOHC is totally reliable)
Smaller engine  (also tends to be good for performance)
Lower cost to manufacture (good for everyone?)

Allowed them to have a lower hood line, so that netted them better aero, lower center of gravity, also allowed the engine to be moved back closer to the firewall and that fact plus it weighing less gave the car a better front to rear weight distribution.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:51:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Another example of how ford is killing it. Nothing in that article mentions "short deck" 7.3 block. If it is the same block as the 7.3, sans alloy. You should be able to swap 7.3 rotating assemblies into the aluminum block. Much like the 360,390,427's back in the day. That my friends is amazing. I believe Ford has finally declared war on the "LS swap the world" fanboys.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:51:18 PM EDT
[#35]
An aluminum block 6.8 for the F150, Mustang and new Bronco seems like a logical choice for some folks.

That said, my next truck will be an F250 with the 7.3L.

I have no need for a diesel truck or a gasser with turbo.

I am in no hurry, and want to see how the 7.3L does in the real world after a year or so.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:57:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The 4.9L (pushrod) inline six, E4OD transmission, manual locking hubs, and limited slip was the best combo I've ever owned in a truck

Love,

Scourge

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/43446/f150_2-1492766.jpg

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Right on. 300 ci straight six
Stopped making it because it never dies.   Great torque, power and gas mileage.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:58:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Let me guess...Jeep owner?
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 1:01:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Another example of how ford is killing it. Nothing in that article mentions "short deck" 7.3 block. If it is the same block as the 7.3, sans alloy. You should be able to swap 7.3 rotating assemblies into the aluminum block. Much like the 360,390,427's back in the day. That my friends is amazing. I believe Ford has finally declared war on the "LS swap the world" fanboys.
View Quote

Except with aftermarket support like Holley's Sniper EFI there will never be any war.

I like choices. Ford and Dodge are really leaving GM in the dust with all the configurations that are being brought out.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 1:02:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
An aluminum block 6.8 for the F150, Mustang and new Bronco seems like a logical choice for some folks.

That said, my next truck will be an F250 with the 7.3L.

I have no need for a diesel truck or a gasser with turbo.

I am in no hurry, and want to see how the 7.3L does in the real world after a year or so.
View Quote

Every f450 or 550 up here owned by the utilities are gas. Ups and fedex went to gas.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 1:08:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't disagree, but if it's not going in the Mustang and F150 what's the point of developing the engine?
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 1:09:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The future is now, ecoboost fanboys.
View Quote
Yep, Twin Turbo Ecoboost 6.8
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 1:10:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/341059/Fordstraight6_jpg-1662430.JPG

Right on. 300 ci straight six
Stopped making it because it never dies.   Great torque, power and gas mileage.
View Quote

The 300 straight 6 is my all time favorite in the F150, but great gas mileage was not one of the reasons why at all.

Link Posted: 10/31/2020 1:18:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Why 7.3 and 6.8 gas?
View Quote
7.3 is a cast iron heavy ass engine, this should be aluminum block and weigh 75 lbs less, plus it will be a higher rpm design, obviously this is the new Raptor powerplant

Link Posted: 10/31/2020 1:19:02 PM EDT
[#44]
I am a fan of old school pushrod engines. The mix of better materials and engineering, along with pushrod simplicity, is a win for the buyer.

And V8 power is best power, FTW!!!
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 1:20:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
But why?
View Quote

Because more power is better.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 1:20:49 PM EDT
[#46]
What’s old is new again

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 1:21:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True but there were several other changes I made to the factory programming while I was at it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 1:23:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Woohoo!
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 1:23:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
But the Coyote is a great engine? What's the reason for going to this new engine?
Also, how awkward it must be after all the smack talk about GM v8's still using pushrods....only to return to them.

P.S. GM = King of pushrod tech.
View Quote

Probably no more awkward than GM going to aluminum body panels after all that smack talk against them.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 1:24:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Why 7.3 and 6.8 gas?  
View Quote

Diesel emissions requirements, particularly the DEF portion, are not popular features of vehicle design or ownership.  Gas engines get around that much easier.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top