BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 9:03:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
when the power goes out, how you gonna charge your car?

when you are on the coast and a hurricane is coming, how far can you get before you run out power?

do you like getting in line to then charge your car for 30 minute at a level 3 charging station?

do you like driving a computer?

do you like becoming a big data provider, including videos. including videos of your home and so forth?

the current EV tech is not the long term answer. there isnt enough power in the country to handle charging eveyrone's car if we all go to EVs.

we are close to market saturation for EVs. there are many situations where an EV simply doesnt work. like you live in the middle of nowhere, wyoming as one example.

hybrid is the correct middle term answer until EV tech evolves to use fuel cells with hydrogen or similar.
View Quote
You do realize that gas pumps need electricity also.

As an only vehicle, I would say fuck no a Tesla is not the answer but as a second or third vehicle perfect for 99% of peoples needs.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 9:04:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Tesla should make Kaneda’s bike.

Link Posted: 12/12/2023 9:10:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I want gauges and knobs. I hate the whole stick a tablet on the dash Infotainment system trend that forces you to take you eyes off the road.
View Quote

Jesus grandpa, knobs?   You just talk to it.  

I suppose you’re still bitching your last truck doesn’t have the dimmer switch in the floorboard and a pushbutton AM radio.
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 9:18:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
can i fit a shit ton of guns and gear, 4 grown ass men and some dead deer in it?
View Quote

I probably had 25 or more rifles in my Model S. It’s not a pickup, so it’s probably not good for hauling deer. I’m not sure any sedan is.
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 9:18:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I suppose you’re still bitching your last truck doesn’t have the dimmer switch in the floorboard and a pushbutton AM radio.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I want gauges and knobs. I hate the whole stick a tablet on the dash Infotainment system trend that forces you to take you eyes off the road.

Listen here sport...you move that damn son of a bitch button one more time and I swear someone will beat the life out of you.....

(turn up the sarcasm meter for that.... )

I hate driving 4 different cars on occasion, some have the wipers here.... others way over there on its own stalk.  Changing the intermittent wiper feature.....

I am sure when I have a cold and my noise is all stopped up and my voice is "off," my car will report it-self as stolen at some point....

Link Posted: 12/12/2023 9:27:01 PM EDT
[#6]
OP, did you watch the documentary, "Leave the World Behind"?
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 9:42:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

when you are on the coast and a hurricane is coming, how far can you get before you run out power?

do you like getting in line to then charge your car for 30 minute at a level 3 charging station?

do you like becoming a big data provider, including videos. including videos of your home and so forth?

the current EV tech is not the long term answer. there isnt enough power in the country to handle charging eveyrone's car if we all go to EVs.

we are close to market saturation for EVs. there are many situations where an EV simply doesnt work. like you live in the middle of nowhere, wyoming as one example.

hybrid is the correct middle term answer until EV tech evolves to use fuel cells with hydrogen or similar.
View Quote

Ideally the car powers your house when there isn't power.

I don't live anywhere near the coast and hurricanes don't happen in Idaho. Even if they did I have more than 1 car.

I wouldn't take the Tesla on a road trip, it's for around town. The 3 row SUV is for road trips.

Yes, I like the tech and I like sentry mode.

Do you have a smart phone? Ring camera? Roomba? Security cameras that are connected to wifi?

EVs work well for day to day driving where your total mileage is less than it's range. Being able to make a 200 mile round trip on a single charge gets you father than most people drive in a day. I'd only have to charge up twice a week to take my kids to school and run all the local errands vs the 17-20 MPG I get in the 3 row SUV.

The grid can be supplemented with solar and batteries to store the excess power but I do like hybrids as well.
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 9:42:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have a whole home generator and 1000 gallon propane tank that can charge the Tesla fine…I normally wouldn’t just because it would be a waste of fuel for a normal outage.

Combined with 2 ICE vehicles I have options if the need arises….something GD normally advocates or is that bad if it involves EV’s?
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 10:24:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Hardly luxury.  I prefer my Audi A8 L diesel.  790 miles per tank and plenty of comfort and power.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 1:07:22 AM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

I'd buy that!

Or the bikes from Priest (2011)

Motorcycles in Movies - Priest bikes.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 11:44:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hardly luxury.  I prefer my Audi A8 L diesel.  790 miles per tank and plenty of comfort and power.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/111848/IMG_0957_jpeg-3058004.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/111848/IMG_2328_jpeg-3058006.JPG
View Quote

Sure it is large, powerful, comfortable, and has many luxury features but is it truly a luxury car if you can't charge it for free at your employer?
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 12:53:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Enjoy your recall. LOL
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 12:56:49 PM EDT
[#13]
I’m straight.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 1:07:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Enjoy your recall. LOL
View Quote

It’s exhausting hitting the “Install” button on the phone app.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 1:16:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:Enjoy your recall. LOL
View Quote

Interesting fact: the Tesla is the only vehicle sold in the United States to be recalled in the last 87-years.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 1:18:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Enjoy that $4.50 Diesel.

I have had three diesel sedans. Love the range, love the torque curve, hate having to wait to fill up because the only asshole at the pump pulled up to the only diesel pump at the place, and hate paying a premium for fuel. And on newer ones, hate DEF, and above all, hate repair bills for their overly complicated BS mandated emissions systems.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 1:33:12 PM EDT
[#17]
You couldn’t give me an EV
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 1:45:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I assume most of the EV hate is by people that don’t own or know much about EVs.

Pretty nuts considering the way EV prices were going a few years ago. Although I wouldn’t own one as a sole vehicle, it’s the perfect DD.
View Quote

Don't forget that those boomers love OPEC and making them wealthy.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 1:50:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Interesting fact: the Tesla is the only vehicle sold in the United States to be recalled in the last 87-years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Enjoy your recall. LOL

Of course not. I just thought it was surprising that "nearly all Teslas sold in the US" were being recalled.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 2:07:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

An EV will keep you warm for the rest of your life...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/397309/TWXTe8o_0gC-S_vjhF516w_r-2778213-2778305.gif
View Quote
The battery packs are under your arse, not your feet.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 2:48:20 PM EDT
[#21]
You need to take it to the shop

Two Million Tesla's recalled
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 2:51:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You need to take it to the shop

Two Million Tesla's recalled
View Quote

Reading is hard….

“…said it would send a software update "over the air" to fix the issue”
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 9:26:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Reading is hard….

“…said it would send a software update "over the air" to fix the issue”
View Quote

That won't fix the moronic Tesla drivers who believe the car can really drive itself.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 4:22:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Enjoy that $4.50 Diesel.

I have had three diesel sedans. Love the range, love the torque curve, hate having to wait to fill up because the only asshole at the pump pulled up to the only diesel pump at the place, and hate paying a premium for fuel. And on newer ones, hate DEF, and above all, hate repair bills for their overly complicated BS mandated emissions systems.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Enjoy that $4.50 Diesel.

I'd love to see what a modern non or low emissions car could be. I think you could easily do a turbo 4 cylinder that got 40-45mpg in a full sized car or suv. You could probably go 50+ in something like a Rav 4 sized rig.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 5:50:07 PM EDT
[#25]
No government regulation for cars has not been a thing since 1958, sadly.

I know some will chime in and say the safety regulations were a good thing. That may be, but I will take liberty over government mandated security any day.

Link Posted: 12/16/2023 11:30:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'd love to see what a modern non or low emissions car could be. I think you could easily do a turbo 4 cylinder that got 40-45mpg in a full sized car or suv. You could probably go 50+ in something like a Rav 4 sized rig.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Enjoy that $4.50 Diesel.

For some reason the EPA extra hates diesel and does everything it can to prevent it from being the overwhelming success it would otherwise be on the consumer market. There is so much cost built into every product in our everyday live just to pay for their insane mandates just on the things it's impossible not to use diesel for like commercial trucking, heavy mining and construction that I have to believe most people would be pissed to see how much that one government agency has cost every one of them.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 2:58:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

When the power goes out for any length of time, I have trouble getting gas because there’s lines.

If you run out of gas on the Florida evacuation routes, you are just as stuck.

EVs do take longer to fill up, but a level 3 charger should get you from 20-80% in less than 30 minutes. That might be 10-15 more minutes than I need if I stop to fill up my CR-V and eat something, but in a 500 mile drive it’s not a big deal. Level 4 chargers are being installed now. That will speed things up.

Every modern car is a series of computers. Ford has 150 modules in their trucks, from dozens of suppliers who all use their own software. Tesla controls all of their software and does hundreds of OTA updates, like you do for your cell phone. Most other cars have to be flashed at the dealer. The infotainment module of one of my ICE cars died, and we replaced it for a “mere” $800. That car is burning oil and it’s going into the shop on Tuesday to figure it out. It had a vacuum leak so we had no power brakes. Fixing that cost $500.

Your cell phone is feeding data to Google (if you use any of their stuff like Google search, or Maps), I looked into it and they had 5 gigabytes of my stuff, including texts, emails, photos, everything. Facebook takes your stuff but to a lesser extent. Amazon is a data thief. If you have a Ring camera, it’s piped to Amazon, and to the police as needed. Microsoft will use your data to “improve” their software, unless you tell them not to.Your cell phone data is piped through the NSA.

I agree there isn’t enough power and the grid sucks, but that’s been true for a long time. A freeze in Texas showed us that. All the electricity does no good when the distribution system collapses. Rolling blackouts in California are routine.

I had a Camry hybrid. It was efficient, but a boring (and slow) appliance, like a toaster. It got me from point A to point B, but I’d never buy another. It couldn’t get out of its own way. Plus it’s an ICE vehicle with a layer of EV added to it. More maintenance than an ICE car.

You can do you and buy your ICE vehicles as long as you want. But the EV is the future. Even here in the U.S., growth in EVs is more than 50% in the past year. ICE vehicles are on the decline. In 10 years, they’ll be harder to get than a Blackberry. The model Y is on track to become the most popular car in the world this year. It’s trails only the Ford F150 here in the U.S.

But I’m going to get an EV for my next vehicle. I’ve kind of had my fill of ICE cars.

Link Posted: 12/23/2023 8:35:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Every modern car is a series of computers

View Quote

Who says you have to buy a modern car? I love vintage cars that have no computers.Even for a daily driver. I don't need "infotainment".

Link Posted: 12/23/2023 9:04:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Funny seeing all the posts about how great their EVs are, deep down they are regretting it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 9:36:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Who says you have to buy a modern car? I love vintage cars that have no computers.Even for a daily driver. I don't need "infotainment".

View Quote

Great: you love them. You probably wrench on them and do your own service. Interesting that you are either using a computer or a cellphone to post on Arfcom.

There are people who won’t use a digital camera, they’re still developing their own film and prints in a darkroom.

Some people love vinyl records. There might even be a few who still use a dial telephone.

But most don’t want to drive a vintage car: parts are not being made anymore, they’re not efficient. They have no modern safety features.

I used to do much more on my old cars, but those days are over.

Link Posted: 12/23/2023 9:44:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I thought you loved EVs. Or do you just play for both teams to piss everyone off?
View Quote

I’m thinking it’s sarcasm.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 9:45:49 PM EDT
[#32]
I think the lack of maintenance needed for them is interesting.  That makes me want one if it’s just for that.

I’ve got a buddy that did solar panels at the house and a battery backup.  He can get around just fine when the power goes out since he can make his own
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 10:00:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Of course not. I just thought it was surprising that "nearly all Teslas sold in the US" were being recalled.
View Quote

Autopilot software update.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 10:06:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

But most don’t want to drive a vintage car: parts are not being made anymore,  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But most don’t want to drive a vintage car: parts are not being made anymore,  

And you would be wrong! Many of the classic cars can be built from aftermarket parts without a original car available. There are that many places making parts.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 10:14:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Not if they were $0.01.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 10:22:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Autopilot software update.
View Quote

Probably over the air update.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 10:37:05 PM EDT
[#37]
the credit is a credit toward income tax.

so you’re still paying full price, whether the one payment plan or xx-months loan.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 10:45:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
You do realize that gas pumps need electricity also.

As an only vehicle, I would say fuck no a Tesla is not the answer but as a second or third vehicle perfect for 99% of peoples needs.  
View Quote
Takes a lot less electricity to pump 20 gallons of fuel while on generator power than recharge a Tesla. Sure, Tesla makes sense as an addition or replacement to the old hotrod in the garage fun car, but the subsidy is as baseless as it gets, and its practicality is even worse.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 11:32:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
the credit is a credit toward income tax.

so you’re still paying full price, whether the one payment plan or xx-months loan.
View Quote

Yeah I definitely don't like how they market it on their website. Someone on here mentioned that starting next year there was going to be a new way of handling it. I think they said it could come off at the dealer at the time of sale so I don't know if it's a different program or what.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 11:57:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

But most don’t want to drive a vintage car: parts are not being made anymore, they’re not efficient. They have no modern safety features.

View Quote

While it is true that modern cars are safer, efficiency can be measured in different ways, and in actuality many of the needed parts are still available from places like Rockauto, even for cars made in the 1940s and 1950s.

Link Posted: 12/24/2023 10:34:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Funny seeing all the posts about how great their EVs are, deep down they are regretting it.
View Quote

Wrong
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 10:36:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
That's a luxury level car for upper $20s.  Crazy.
View Quote

lol. A Kia is better quality. A Tesla Model 3 is not luxury.
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 12:19:47 PM EDT
[#43]
C'mon guys you got only 5 days left to buy your Energizer roller skate with U.S. taxpayers involuntarily subsiding your cost. After that, its all you!

"Customers who take delivery of a qualified new Tesla vehicle and meet all federal requirements are eligible for a tax credit up to $7,500. Tax credit will end for Model 3 Rear-Wheel Drive and Model 3 Long Range on December 31, 2023 based on current view of new IRA guidance. Take delivery by December 31 to qualify for full tax credit."

Electric Vehicle & Energy Incentives

I'm gonna buy a new vehicle soon, probably before the end of January. But it will be a gasser, and it will have a V8. I have my carbon footprint to think about after all.
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 1:31:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
How much to replace the battery?
View Quote

Inside of 8yrs = $0.00
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top