God bless RPM.
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 11:16:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rip WTF1 and shout out to their family.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAx7uDsXlyc
View Quote

Not going to lie I was looking for a reason to drop WTF1 with the new cast and you just gave me a reason to do it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 2:29:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Not going to lie I was looking for a reason to drop WTF1 with the new cast and you just gave me a reason to do it.
View Quote

I told YouTube not to recommend that channel to me as well.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:14:56 AM EDT
[#5]
2026 is the most important season in modern F1 history. With the influx of new fans and the sport’s rise in popularity, they run an extreme risk of “killing the show” with a new PU formula. Aero changes are easy to regulate, PU changes (to improve the competition) are not. A repeat of 2014-2020 would be a disaster.

All of the weird qualifying “test changes” and proposed design and regulation changes are built for one reason. To allow the FIA and FOM to control the show.

We are quickly moving into an era of pure entertainment with a sprinkling of sport.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/f1-explains-plan-for-active-aero-to-improve-racing-for-2026/10422851/

Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:45:53 AM EDT
[#6]
2022 season recap, is it race week yet?

The Biggest F1 Stories of 2022!
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 3:01:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Let the hype train begin!

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/dont_believe_you_anchorman_zps267e5cbb_GIF-108.gif

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up_zps5c0357b9_GIF-103.gif

Maybe their simulator just sucks and they aren't lying?
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 10:00:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Red Bull is “debuting” the 2023 car in New York. There won’t be an actual car there, but part of the agenda is speaking about 2026.

Rumor floating around is Ford will be announced as the partner.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 10:50:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Red Bull is "debuting" the 2023 car in New York. There won't be an actual car there, but part of the agenda is speaking about 2026.

View Quote
Ford as a partner to RBR? I thought Honda was sticking around?

m
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 11:14:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

m
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Red Bull is "debuting" the 2023 car in New York. There won't be an actual car there, but part of the agenda is speaking about 2026.

m

Power unit “partner”. RBPT was tailor made for a manufacturer to “support” without having to do the work and spending huge amounts of cash.

Honda is providing support on the current PU project through 2025, but they have been waffling around about 2026.

Link Posted: 1/22/2023 9:58:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Power unit “partner”. RBPT was tailor made for a manufacturer to “support” without having to do the work and spending huge amounts of cash.

Honda is providing support on the current PU project through 2025, but they have been waffling around about 2026.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

m

I will laugh so hard if Ford gets in and GM/Caddy doesn’t. I also want to see the steam come off my uncles head. He just retired from an executive level position in GMs vehicle development section.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 5:21:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Red Bull is “debuting” the 2023 car in New York. There won’t be an actual car there, but part of the agenda is speaking about 2026.

View Quote

Wtf??
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 10:03:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Wtf??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wtf??

Somebody was going to take advantage of the RBPT offer. It’s the only deal in town that goes beyond rebadging, but doesn’t require being the sole source for actually designing and building the PU’s.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 6:13:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Somebody was going to take advantage of the RBPT offer. It’s the only deal in town that goes beyond rebadging, but doesn’t require being the sole source for actually designing and building the PU’s.
View Quote

I was hoping it would be Honda. They seem to have a good grasp of the hybrid system.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 2:14:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Some interesting goings on in the FOM vs FIA fight.

As we saw earlier, FIA President Mohammed Ben Suyalem went out of his way to throw the F1 stakeholders under the bus concerning Andretti. FOM and the teams politely told him to STFU and stay in his lane.

Recently, a report came out stating that the Saudi’s had made an offer to buy F1 for $20 billion, which Liberty rejected.

Suyalem tweeted the below in response:

This news is now breaking:

Link Posted: 1/24/2023 7:08:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

As we saw earlier, FIA President Mohammed Ben Suyalem went out of his way to throw the F1 stakeholders under the bus concerning Andretti. FOM and the teams politely told him to STFU and stay in his lane.

Recently, a report came out stating that the Saudi’s had made an offer to buy F1 for $20 billion, which Liberty rejected.

View Quote

What a shit show.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 7:24:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What a shit show.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What a shit show.

I was wondering when things would escalate between MBS and Liberty.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 8:11:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Hamilton on a recent podcast:

You shouldn’t be able to have billions. There should be a limit to how much you can have. Because there’s enough to go around to everyone. So somehow creating a law that creates more equality and equal access for everyone. I don’t know how you would implement that law.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 8:19:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hahahahahah hahahhah hahah
What a stupid oblivious fuck head
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 8:22:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

But nearly 300 million is OK. Fuck that chode.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 8:30:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

He is a legal liability to the FIA at this point.

The below article has excerpts from the FOM letter.

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/12794335/f1-sends-incendiary-letter-to-fia-after-mohammed-ben-sulayems-inflated-price-tags-of-20bn-claim
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 8:31:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I hate that stupid fucker and his ####smoking fans more and more every day.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 11:12:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think the key for Ferrari is whether they can get their engine back up to the power level it had at the beginning of the 2022 season.  It’s pretty clear that in the second part of the season they had to drop the engine output for reliability.  If they can get back to full power and be reliable, they could be a real contender.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 11:13:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FmwoVg-XkAANXcE?format=jpg&name=large
View Quote

That’s going to be fun when it rains.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 1:13:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I think the key for Ferrari is whether they can get their engine back up to the power level it had at the beginning of the 2022 season.  It’s pretty clear that in the second part of the season they had to drop the engine output for reliability.  If they can get back to full power and be reliable, they could be a real contender.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Assuming the other engine builders haven't picked up some power.  Frozen is a relative term.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 1:45:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Got my tickets for Miami

And rented a 570s for the week
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 8:51:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/12794335/f1-sends-incendiary-letter-to-fia-after-mohammed-ben-sulayems-inflated-price-tags-of-20bn-claim
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's going to end up being the shortest termed FIA president in history.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:37:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 4:45:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Do you still have both kidneys?

Canada is a relative bargain since I can drive to it.

Miami looks fun but flashy and expensive.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 4:55:31 PM EDT
[#30]
I don't know if this video has been posted or discussed here before, but I'm just seeing it.
Basically just Max doing a lap of Monaco on a simulator, but what I found interesting, if
you skip to about 0:30s, he drops it into N for the hairpin. Is this typical? Do all drivers do this? I would have
thought they'd keep it in 1st.

@Citrix Virtual Lap: Max Verstappen at the Monaco Grand Prix

Link Posted: 1/25/2023 5:54:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Got my tickets for Miami

View Quote

Can you take me for a ride when you’re in town?
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:02:26 PM EDT
[#32]
If ya'll would tolerate another couple of dumb noob question:  

Do they always run a track in the same direction?  I seem to remember seeing pit lanes on either side of the tracks throughout the season, so it's not as though that would be a concern.  Are there other safety/logistical issues I'm not thinking of?  

Tires.  How much rubber (pounds?  tons?) gets deposited on a track during the course of a race?  2 stops each for 20-ish cars is 160 tires thereabouts, so how much of that actually winds up as marbles?  Some portions of some tracks look like gravel roads by the end of a race.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:04:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I don't know if this video has been posted or discussed here before, but I'm just seeing it.
Basically just Max doing a lap of Monaco on a simulator, but what I found interesting, if
you skip to about 0:30s, he drops it into N for the hairpin. Is this typical? Do all drivers do this? I would have

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0g5mgabHXs
View Quote
That's a hell of a gaming rig.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:09:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Not all circuits run the same direction.

@deadtired
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:15:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Do they always run a track in the same direction?  I seem to remember seeing pit lanes on either side of the tracks throughout the season, so it's not as though that would be a concern.  Are there other safety/logistical issues I'm not thinking of?  

Tires.  How much rubber (pounds?  tons?) gets deposited on a track during the course of a race?  2 stops each for 20-ish cars is 160 tires thereabouts, so how much of that actually winds up as marbles?  Some portions of some tracks look like gravel roads by the end of a race.  
View Quote
Keep in mind that there is other on-track racing throughout the weekend from support series.
Maybe F2, Porsche Cup, possibly some others as well. So unless there is a heavy rain somewhere along the way, the track collects a lot of rubber.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:16:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

No they don't all run the same direction, but there are things to consider for the track that are important.  Barrier placement, not only with the soft barrier but also how track entry points for safety crews etc are configured.  Pit lanes can be tricky sometimes with how they would enter or exit the racing line.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:37:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

@deadtired
View Quote
Right, but would it be possible to run them in the opposite direction from "normal"?  

My most immediate frame of reference is COTA, so end with a big downhill into the pit straight (which, now that I think about it, yeah that may be dumb) rather than start the lap going uphill.

EDIT: @racerpk11 answered that one pretty well.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:38:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Keep in mind that there is other on-track racing throughout the weekend from support series.
Maybe F2, Porsche Cup, possibly some others as well. So unless there is a heavy rain somewhere along the way, the track collects a lot of rubber.
View Quote
I forgot about that.  A little rubber already on the track cam improve grip, right?  

I'm more thinking of the fields of marbles that accumulate. Presumably that gets cleaned up between races, right?
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:41:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Right, but would it be possible to run them in the opposite direction from "normal"?  

My most immediate frame of reference is COTA, so end with a big downhill into the pit straight (which, now that I think about it, yeah that may be dumb) rather than start the lap going uphill.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@deadtired

here's an article that goes into detail bout that.

https://racer.com/2020/04/23/medland-could-any-circuit-really-run-an-f1-race-backwards/

United States – COTA

Shock: Another one that actually looks like it could do it. OK, you’d ideally have a bit more run-off for the new Turn 1, but it’s a slow corner so it’s almost passable. Maybe. Most other areas appear to have enough space, and like Silverstone the high-speed sector (the first sector when run in the normal direction) would be just as good either way.

but for most current F1 tracks, no.  the layouts just don't support it.  that doesn't even take into account the stuff racerpk11 talked about.

And of course, none of this takes into account the logistics of things like the angle of certain barriers, pit entries and exits, marshal posts, starting grids etc, but that would really have ruined the fun.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:58:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Got my tickets for Miami

Happy to, shoot me a pm.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 8:57:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Assuming the other engine builders haven't picked up some power.  Frozen is a relative term.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True, but getting back at least to where they were is a start.  If they can’t even get back there, they’re done.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:02:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Maybe the cornering speed for the hairpin is so slow that the engine will stall in first (or anti-stall will kick in),  Minimum revs on a F1 car are a lot higher than on a road car.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:13:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

True, but getting back at least to where they were is a start.  If they can’t even get back there, they’re done.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

F1 has been very quiet about PU upgrades over the last year, but all the producers have to sign off on any change. I.E., it’s an open secret on what everyone is doing.

That said, Renault/Alpine head of PU’s Bruno Famin has been making noise recently and even mentioned that there were up to 70 submitted change requests last year. Going forward, he expects it to get significantly harder to make changes (which could be as easy as Renault vetoing the requests).
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:14:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Maybe the cornering speed for the hairpin is so slow that the engine will stall in first (or anti-stall will kick in),  Minimum revs on a F1 car are a lot higher than on a road car.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That or neutral unlocks the rear diff.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:19:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And then there is this:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formula-1/max-verstappen-simulator-private-jet-29052693
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:33:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I forgot about that.  A little rubber already on the track cam improve grip, right?  

I'm more thinking of the fields of marbles that accumulate. Presumably that gets cleaned up between races, right?
View Quote

Rubber on track will generally improve grip yes. It’s a bit more involved than that though as different manufacturers/compounds can feel very different on the first few laps. Like a Porsche or Ferrari Challenge support race will have a difference in feel behind the wheel for a few laps.

Marbles can cause quite problem but honestly I don’t know how often they police them. I would imagine at the end of the day they run the big sweepers to get them off the track. Everyone wants them there at the end of the race on Sunday though to pick up as much “free” weight as possible before hitting the scales.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:34:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

No they don't all run the same direction, but there are things to consider for the track that are important.  Barrier placement, not only with the soft barrier but also how track entry points for safety crews etc are configured.  Pit lanes can be tricky sometimes with how they would enter or exit the racing line.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Crazy y'all are talking about this now because earlier today this incident popped into my head.

https://www.courthousenews.com/widow-sues-richard-petty-firm-over-disney-world-track-death/

Besides allowing untrained drivers to take the wheel behind some of the world’s fastest cars, the lawsuit also takes aim at the decision to allow cars to move the wrong way on the track, where the ends of the guardrails were exposed to traffic and not cushioned.

This is a HUGE consideration in the ability to run backwards. Many tracks have concrete walls and they're only designed with the track being used in one direction. Going backwards can leave the ends of walls and guard rails exposed.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:58:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Crazy y'all are talking about this now because earlier today this incident popped into my head.

https://www.courthousenews.com/widow-sues-richard-petty-firm-over-disney-world-track-death/

This is a HUGE consideration in the ability to run backwards. Many tracks have concrete walls and they're only designed with the track being used in one direction. Going backwards can leave the ends of walls and guard rails exposed.
View Quote

Really surprised something like RPDE would allow cars to run backward on track. Shows it’s a bunch of suits running things and not the folks that have lost their grandchildren to big hits. Never mind the offset cars they run…probably shouldn’t comment much on that before learning more about the incident you posed though.

Edit never mind. Thought this was something new not the 2016 Lambo deal. That was a bad deal all around and part of the risk of being in the passenger seat as an instructor.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 10:13:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both of those answers are plausible. The hairpin at Monaco is so not suited for modern F1 cars, but I was still
surprised that N would be the fastest or most efficient way around it. It was an interesting revelation.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 11:12:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Rubber on track will generally improve grip yes. It’s a bit more involved than that though as different manufacturers/compounds can feel very different on the first few laps. Like a Porsche or Ferrari Challenge support race will have a difference in feel behind the wheel for a few laps.

Marbles can cause quite problem but honestly I don’t know how often they police them. I would imagine at the end of the day they run the big sweepers to get them off the track. Everyone wants them there at the end of the race on Sunday though to pick up as much “free” weight as possible before hitting the scales.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The sweepers come out after each session if time allows. For example, after a cup race before FP2, or after an F2 race before Quali.
Page / 248
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top