This thread is worth the read.

Shitty video in this tweet.

View Quote

Uh.

Link Posted: 8/14/2022 9:49:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One of the more interesting stories to follow is going to be the development of 2022 draft picks #50-54.

Those are:

#50 Patriots WR Tyquan Thornton
#51 Eagles C Cam Jurgens
#52 Steelers WR George Pickens
#53 Colts WR Alec Pierce
#54 Chiefs WR Skyy Moore

4 of those 5 are WRs, and 2 of those WRs are getting a lot of hype (Pickens and Moore).

Here's where things get spicy:

The Chiefs went into the draft with #50, but they traded with NE to go down four picks. Belichick traded up to take Thornton over Pickens and Moore.

Green Bay originally owned picks #53 and #59. They traded both of those to move all the way up to #34 to take WR Christian Watson.

The trade up to take Christian Watson is probably going to be very hard to justify, and there's a slim chance this will be viewed favorably in the future.

The trade up to take Thornton over Pickens and Moore is also looking iffy.

There was a lot of anger when the Chiefs traded down and missed out on Pickens, and I think some of that is starting to come back with all the Pickens highlight reels, but there's still some optimism about Moore. I think this could be controversial for a while.
View Quote

The non WR in that block, Jurgens, looked exceptional in the Eagles game vs the Jets. Hand picked by Kelce to be his replacement at center, he absolutely looked the part - and that's a damn high bar.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 10:56:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That’s an interesting evaluation of a WR that hasn’t taken a snap yet in a game.

Is there a team out there that would regret trading 2 second round picks for Justin Jefferson?

We’ll see if Watson can play.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
One of the more interesting stories to follow is going to be the development of 2022 draft picks #50-54.

Those are:

#51 Eagles C Cam Jurgens
#53 Colts WR Alec Pierce
#54 Chiefs WR Skyy Moore

4 of those 5 are WRs, and 2 of those WRs are getting a lot of hype (Pickens and Moore).

The Chiefs went into the draft with #50, but they traded with NE to go down four picks. Belichick traded up to take Thornton over Pickens and Moore.

Green Bay originally owned picks #53 and #59. They traded both of those to move all the way up to #34 to take WR Christian Watson.

The trade up to take Christian Watson is probably going to be very hard to justify, and there's a slim chance this will be viewed favorably in the future.

There was a lot of anger when the Chiefs traded down and missed out on Pickens, and I think some of that is starting to come back with all the Pickens highlight reels, but there's still some optimism about Moore. I think this could be controversial for a while.

That’s an interesting evaluation of a WR that hasn’t taken a snap yet in a game.

Is there a team out there that would regret trading 2 second round picks for Justin Jefferson?

Justin Jefferson went straight into the top-5 in the league as a rookie, he's probably going to go in the books as the best WR drafted in a 3-5 year window, and he's on a trajectory that could take him to Canton. Even if we're generous and say there's a 10% chance that Watson will play to JJ's level (there's not), that would mean there's a 90% chance he doesn't.

Obviously, we have the advantage of hindsight while the live draft is dynamic and unpredictable, so it's not really fair, but the only way GB's decision to trade way up and draft Watson is going to be considered a success is if he's clearly better than Thornton, Pickens, Pierce, and Moore.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 11:07:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Justin Jefferson went straight into the top-5 in the league as a rookie, he's probably going to go in the books as the best WR drafted in a 3-5 year window, and he's on a trajectory that could take him to Canton. Even if we're generous and say there's a 10% chance that Watson will play to JJ's level (there's not), that would mean there's a 90% chance he doesn't.

Obviously, we have the advantage of hindsight while the live draft is dynamic and unpredictable, so it's not really fair, but the only way GB's decision to trade way up and draft Watson is going to be considered a success is if he's clearly better than Thornton, Pickens, Pierce, and Moore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those are:

#51 Eagles C Cam Jurgens
#53 Colts WR Alec Pierce
#54 Chiefs WR Skyy Moore

How can you declare categorically that a rookie who hasn’t played a single down in a real game has no chance of playing at Jefferson’s level? Not to mention 4 other receivers?
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 11:12:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

How can you declare categorically that a rookie who hasn’t played a single down in a real game has no chance of playing at Jefferson’s level? Not to mention 4 other receivers?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those are:

#51 Eagles C Cam Jurgens
#53 Colts WR Alec Pierce
#54 Chiefs WR Skyy Moore

The posts you're butthurt about are full of ifs and probablys.

I'm not saying Watson is going to be a bust. What I'm saying is, the #50-54 WRs are going to set the bar by which the GB draft trade is judged. There's a difference.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 11:17:43 AM EDT
[#7]
FWIW, there are other draft trades that will be subject to similar scrutiny.

Check this one out:

Put another way that's ignorant of salary cap issues:

Link Posted: 8/14/2022 11:32:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't know how far the Chargers were down their depth chart with 5 minutes left in the first half, but their S horse-collaring their CB to give the Rams a TD is some funny stuff.

Link Posted: 8/14/2022 11:44:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm not saying Watson is going to be a bust. What I'm saying is, the #50-54 WRs are going to set the bar by which the GB draft trade is judged. There's a difference.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those are:

#51 Eagles C Cam Jurgens
#53 Colts WR Alec Pierce
#54 Chiefs WR Skyy Moore

Butthurt? Either I very badly stated my point, or you very badly misinterpreted it.

There is absolutely no butthurt on my end. I’m just baffled by pre judging a player and predicting his and the front office’s legacy before a player has single snap under his belt, and picking 4 of the other 200 odd draftees to measure him against.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 12:01:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ummmmmm…

Uh.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/219476/Screenshot_20220814-082651_Chrome-2488697.jpg

Link Posted: 8/14/2022 12:10:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Butthurt? Either I very badly stated my point, or you very badly misinterpreted it.

There is absolutely no butthurt on my end. I’m just baffled by pre judging a player and predicting his and the front office’s legacy before a player has single snap under his belt, and picking 4 of the other 200 odd draftees to measure him against.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those are:

#51 Eagles C Cam Jurgens
#53 Colts WR Alec Pierce
#54 Chiefs WR Skyy Moore

There is nothing arbitrary or random about this comparison.

The core of the 2nd round WRs went from 50-54. The Packers had #53. They traded #53 and #59 to go up and get Watson.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 12:14:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The core of the 2nd round WRs went from 50-54. The Packers had #53. They traded #53 and #59 to go up and get Watson.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those are:

#51 Eagles C Cam Jurgens
#53 Colts WR Alec Pierce
#54 Chiefs WR Skyy Moore

I’m reasonably familiar with the second round draft with regard to WRs…
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 12:44:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ummmmmm…

Uh.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/219476/Screenshot_20220814-082651_Chrome-2488697.jpg

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 12:55:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those are:

#51 Eagles C Cam Jurgens
#53 Colts WR Alec Pierce
#54 Chiefs WR Skyy Moore

The players? Or the pick values?

There are several different draft pick value charts out there, and I think most NFL front offices have their own in-house calculations, lets start with the Jason Fitzgerald chart as referenced by OTC: https://overthecap.com/examining-nfl-draft-capital-in-2019-looking-ahead-to-2020

Here are the values involved in the trade:

#53 - 909
#59 - 853

#53 + #59 = 1,762

#34 = 1143

According to this chart, the 1,762 points GB gave up was the equivalent of #11 overall, and they took a 35% loss in the trade. Getting from #53 to #49 (the top of this WR run) could have cost them a 7th rounder.

How about ye olde Jimmy Johnson chart?

#53 - 370
#59 - 310

#53 + #59 = 680

#34 = 560

According to this chart, the 680 points GB gave up was the equivalent of #27 overall, and they took an 18% loss in the trade. Getting from #53 to #49 could have cost them pick #132, a late 4th round pick the team actually had.

How good a player is only tells part of the story. What the team gave up to bring that player in matters.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 1:39:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Check this one out:

View Quote

This tweet reads weird to me, B - E is the player and picks each team got?
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 1:48:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Check this one out:

It's a bit convoluted, but I think scenarios B-E are what the Saints would have had after making the trades that were used to send those players to their new homes.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 4:26:35 PM EDT
[#17]
I don’t read much into preseason games, but 17 fucking penalties is just asinine.

McCarthy is a zero.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 6:40:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Re-reading our conversations during the draft (pages 54-60) is kinda amusing...

Nobody knew where the veteran QBs were going to go.

Everything Belichick did fueled confusion.

I was baffled by the Chiefs decision to trade up for CB McDuffie, and I'm still not sure I like it.

I didn't think Pickens, Moore, or Watson would make it to #50.

Pickens was always my guy for R2, and I remember being pretty frustrated about it when the Steelers got him.

The rumor was GB was going after Pickens when they traded up to 34.

I was happy and surprised the Chiefs got Moore at 54.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 8:26:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Jameis Winston is apparently playing two pro sports now.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 9:29:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Fuck, Dolphins lost their number 4 CB for the year with an ACL tear.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 9:29:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Is it just me or do injuries seem FAR more common this year?
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 9:37:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I bet Ravens fans will disagree with you completely. This time last year, they had a straight up bus crash worth of major injuries.

We might see more concrete math done around cut-down day, but I'd say this year isn't really abnormal.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 10:24:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think last season seemed even worse.  I’d be curious to see any data on it though.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 10:57:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I don’t read much into preseason games, but 17 fucking penalties is just asinine.

McCarthy is a zero.
View Quote

Burrow is out for now from appendix surgery, #2 is on concussion protocol, and they had 11 penalties. The 3rd string line looked like a chain link fence trying to stop mosquitos in both the run and pass. A tight end had two holding calls, one bringing back a 60yd run.
It's the Bengals. You take what you get, and every decade or so they throw you a bone.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 11:03:42 PM EDT
[#25]
They're running the NFL Top-100 now.

Mac Jones is the guy triggering the "what are we doing here" responses.

Either positional value matters or it doesn't. If positional value matters, most of the league's starting QBs should be in the top 25 just because they're QBs. If positional value doesn't matter, dudes like Tucker should be in or near the top-10, and a guy like Mac Jones should be nowhere near this list.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 11:08:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 1:04:37 AM EDT
[#27]

Link Posted: 8/15/2022 1:42:58 AM EDT
[#28]
I can never remember: what exactly is that list supposed to be based on?  Just the past season?  The past few years?  How they think they'll do in the upcoming season?
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 3:28:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I think last season seemed even worse.  I’d be curious to see any data on it though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Every year people speculate the injuries are worse than before. I’m not even sure data exists to figure that out.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 3:29:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Also L OH FUCKING L

The question asked:

Link Posted: 8/15/2022 6:27:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I can never remember: what exactly is that list supposed to be based on?  Just the past season?  The past few years?  How they think they'll do in the upcoming season?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

From google.
For the 12th consecutive year, current NFL players have voted to determine the Top 100 players in the NFL.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 6:29:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

McCarthy is a zero.
View Quote

Per the article....

The last time we saw the Cowboys they were losing to the San Francisco 49ers in the playoffs while committing 14 penalties at home in front of their very frustrated fans last January. It was a fitting end, really, because Dallas led the league in penalties last season with 141 calls against them.

Well, Mike McCarthy’s team was back on the field last night in Denver and they picked up right where they left off – committing an insane amount of penalties. The Cowboys were flagged 17 times in their loss to the Broncos, the most any team has been called for in the preseason since 2019.

They ended the season with 14 and had 17 in the preseason game.
McCarthy is probably thinking since 17 > 14 then isn't than an improvement?

ETA:

Then I read this at the end of the article : Fans, meanwhile crushed McCarthy and are already talking about Sean Payton:
and was
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 7:08:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I think last season seemed even worse.  I'd be curious to see any data on it though.
View Quote
John Clayton used to do the week by week number for injuries and what kind of injuries every season...

RIP Professor.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 7:22:31 AM EDT
[#34]
The Seahawks offensive line had the highest pass block grade in the NFL in pre-season week 1.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:54:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The Seahawks offensive line had the highest pass block grade in the NFL in pre-season week 1.
View Quote

Didn't work for 'em.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 12:16:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

From google.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From google.
For the 12th consecutive year, current NFL players have voted to determine the Top 100 players in the NFL.

That doesn’t answer the question though.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 12:17:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Graded from who?
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 12:40:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Graded from who?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Graded from who?
Who else is there when we discuss player/position grades? PFF.

I just love the conversation surrounding this bit this morning. Wilson complains about line, Wilson leaves, line grades #1 (preseason wk1, I know, but still).

You have people jumping to the conclusions already saying it's easier for the line to protect without Wilson holding the ball forever, you have people who are suggesting the line only improved because they traded Wilson and got the draft picks in order to take the lineman (one selected 9th overall with Broncos pick), and you have people reminding those guys that they would have had the 10th pick anyways if they didn't trade for Adams.

I just enjoy the Seahawks fans' overall commentary in general right now. People who love/hate Russ. People who love/hate Pete. People who love/hate the Hawks. They are a very volatile and mixed group.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 12:43:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Rap on Pat's show, discussing whether the Browns might bring in Jimmy G if Deshaun is suspended for the full season: "I've checked with everyone, maybe something will surprise me, but I just do not get the sense that there's much interest there."

As everyone living in reality already knew, in opposition to the Cleveland(dot)com "sources".
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 12:46:50 PM EDT
[#40]
From Peter King's Football Morning in America:

Andy Reid and his wife, Tammy, took a vacation to Italy this offseason. When they got there, Andy Reid had a conversation with one of the locals at the start of the trip.

Local: "What kind of wine do you like?"

Reid: "I don't drink wine."

Local: "Coffee ... what about coffee?"

Reid: "I don't drink coffee."

Local: "YOU DON'T LIKE WINE OR COFFEE ... WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN ITALY?"

Reid: "I like to eat."
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 12:55:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Andrew Whitworth, responding to a Tweet about the top 100 list being a joke/popularity contest:

Link Posted: 8/15/2022 1:01:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Teams just waiting for him to be released and hit the open market. Then he will get multiple offers. 49ers are trying not to do so because they know his most likely landing spot will be with Seattle, a divisional rival. But are they willing to pay the man another $25.6M in cash (and cap) this year to prevent that from happening? Don't think so. They'll hang on to the last minute and then cut him right before the regular season. Which is also fucking Jimmy over.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Teams just waiting for him to be released and hit the open market. Then he will get multiple offers. 49ers are trying not to do so because they know his most likely landing spot will be with Seattle, a divisional rival. But are they willing to pay the man another $25.6M in cash (and cap) this year to prevent that from happening? Don't think so. They'll hang on to the last minute and then cut him right before the regular season. Which is also fucking Jimmy over.

Peter King saying the same thing this morning:

The Niners have two weeks to cut the roster to 53. Theoretically, they would want to make a decision on Garoppolo by then, because in an ideal world they don’t want a guy they have no intention of keeping count against their 53. But that’s out of their hands unless Cleveland or Seattle figures it would be smart to trade something for him. If they keep Garoppolo, they’d have to expose a make-it player on cutdown day and they could lose a valuable special-teams performer, let’s say. The next landmark is the week before the Sept. 11 opener. If Garoppolo is on the roster then, the club would have to guarantee his $24.2-million salary for the season.

The reality is that the Niners likely won’t keep Garoppolo with the big salary. But then there’s the danger of releasing Jimmy G before the season, and a motivated Garoppolo going to Seattle, for example (San Francisco’s week two foe), and interfering with the Niners’ contention plans.

Link Posted: 8/15/2022 1:02:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 1:18:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I don't read much into preseason games, but 17 fucking penalties is just asinine.

McCarthy is a zero.
View Quote
Peter King this morning: "I think only one thing in the preseason meant anything much this weekend: 17 penalties by the Cowboys. That has to stop, and it has to stop now. Ridiculous."
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 1:36:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Niners have two weeks to cut the roster to 53. Theoretically, they would want to make a decision on Garoppolo by then, because in an ideal world they don’t want a guy they have no intention of keeping count against their 53. But that’s out of their hands unless Cleveland or Seattle figures it would be smart to trade something for him. If they keep Garoppolo, they’d have to expose a make-it player on cutdown day and they could lose a valuable special-teams performer, let’s say. The next landmark is the week before the Sept. 11 opener. If Garoppolo is on the roster then, the club would have to guarantee his $24.2-million salary for the season.

The reality is that the Niners likely won’t keep Garoppolo with the big salary. But then there’s the danger of releasing Jimmy G before the season, and a motivated Garoppolo going to Seattle, for example (San Francisco’s week two foe), and interfering with the Niners’ contention plans.

At some point, you can’t let “don’t wanna let him play for a rival” go. If he’s that much of a threat, why did you trade up to get his replacement?
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 3:05:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 3:30:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Bud Dupree has plead guilty to a lesser assault charge and received six months of probation for his assault of a man in a Walgreens in January.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 3:41:58 PM EDT
[#48]
PFT reporting that a settlement between the NFL and Deshaun is still possible, and that is the reason for the delay in Peter Harvey's decision.

"Watson's sudden turn toward remorse is surely part of the effort to negotiate a better outcome than the one he'd otherwise experience. It's hard to regard this belated awakening as authentic, given the months of doubling down and reciting talking points about never harassing, assaulting, or disrespecting any woman."

As we have discussed, I still believe a settlement is impossible due to the contract tolling issue. The NFL won't settle for less than 12, and that's 1 more than Watson can afford to agree to.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 3:54:54 PM EDT
[#49]

Sucks for Barner, but to be brutally honest about it... He probably wasn't even making the team. He was 5th string. Edit: And he is a 32 year old career back up RB.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 4:54:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Sports Illustrated : Steelers QB Mason Rudolph Becomes Trade Option for Jets

The New York Jets have found themselves in an untimely situation as they now try to find a replacement at quarterback.

Zach Wilson limped to the sideline in the Jets' preseason opener and while the team hopes it's not an ACL tear, there's some worry it's a significant knee injury.

Meanwhile, the Pittsburgh Steelers are keeping their quarterback competition alive, but giving the answers to the test before it's handed out. Mitch Trubisky seems to be the starter, with Mason Rudolph working as the backup with Kenny Pickett.

All offseason, the rumor has been that Rudolph could find himself being traded during the preseason to a team in need of a quarterback. His asking price is rather low, and maybe, the Jets are the team that will be looking.

Rudolph adds to a group to allow New York to operate with less fear of replacing Wilson. If their second-year QB needs most of the season to recover, they could give the job to White, but predicting solid results is a guess and nothing more.
View Quote
Page / 647
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top