Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 557
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 3:22:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm off to NFL Penalties to analyze! BRB.

Week 1: Cardinals vs Washington, Alan Eck, 9 against for 122 yards
Week 2: Cardinals vs Giants, Land Clark, 8 against for 57 yards
Week 3: Cardinals vs Dallas, Alex Kemp, 8 against for 69 yards

Alan Eck: #7 in called penalties, #8 in confirmed penalties, #8 in dismissed penalties, #8 in penalty yards
Land Clark: #10 in called penalties, #7 in confirmed penalties, #14 in dismissed penalties, #7 in penalty yards
Alex Kemp: #1 in called penalties, #1 in confirmed penalties, #1 in dismissed penalties, #3 in penalty yards

So, they had one game under the most flag happy crew in the NFL (thru 3 weeks), but that crew did not flag the Cardinals more than the other two crews. The other two crews are right in the middle of all officials for penalty calls. This leads me to believe that the Cardinals deserved their penalties and their games are not being over officiated.

Reviewing their opponents to keep things even.

Week 1: Washington, 8 against for 69 yards
Week 2: Giants, 9 against for 75 yards
Week 3: Dallas, 13 against for 107 yards

Now... This is getting more interesting. For all 3 of these teams, their games vs the Cardinals resulted in their highest penalty count totals of the season. It was also the highest penalty count game of the season for all three of the individual crews:

Alan Eck: 17 penalties in Cardinals Washington game. 11 in his next, 9 in his 3rd.
Land Clark: 17 penalties in Cardinals Giants game. 14 in his next, 8th in his 3rd.
Alex Kemp: 21 penalties in Cardinals Dallas game. 17 in his next, 13 in his 3rd.

So... The Cardinals appear to have been consistently enforced as a bad penalty team, but for some reason their opponents have ALL had their worst penalty game against the Cardinals, with three different crews... That is very interesting.

Edit: @Hunter-Killer I know you'll be interested in this as well.

Another Edit: These 3 games ranked 1st (Dallas), 8th (Washington) and 13th (Giants) for the most flags thrown in a single game so far this season (out of 48 total games).
View Quote

Thanks.  My biggest gripe with officiating is for them to simply be consistent.  You want to call a tight game?  Fine.  Just make sure you call a tight game for both teams the entire game.  You want to let them play?  Fine.  Just make sure you call a loose game for both teams for the entire game.

The Cowboys/Cardinals game was a prime example with the refs being all over the place.  One drive they are throwing a ticky tack flag for defensive holding.  The next drive they are letting a DB get away with tackling a WR a full second before the ball arrives.  Take the last two Dallas drives.  The refs are flag happy all game, but on BOTH of the Cowboys' last two drives the Cardinals got away with a blatant PI in the end zone.  If the refs don't botch those two calls the Cowboys, despite playing shitty all day, probably win that game.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 3:58:55 PM EDT
[#2]

Signed an extension, got hurt, and he'll never be the same.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 4:05:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

Tyron Smith 2.0.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 4:05:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Waddle cleared concussion protocols today. Clear to play this weekend.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 4:07:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Waddle cleared concussion protocols today. Clear to play this weekend.
View Quote

I wish I was sure Jaelan Phillips was playing.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 5:24:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Amon-Ra St. Brown and Equanimeous St. Brown are obviously brothers and they run a podcast together.

Lions WR Amon-Ra St. Brown: "Do you go out during the season?"
Bears WR Equanimeous St. Brown: "If we win."
Amon: "Really? How does that work?"
Equanimeous: "Hasn't worked in a long time."
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 5:53:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

This one has really hurt us.

Signed a 92M dollar deal Nov 14th 2020. He got hurt at the end of the 2020 season (Dec 31st, 2020).

Since then he has played in 12 games (didn't finish all of those).

In 2021 he was the #4 cap hit on the team, #2 in 2022, and currently #1 in 2023.

The dude not only takes up a roster spot but a significant chunk of cap space despite not being a contributor for 3 seasons now.

I have no clue why they have not tried to dump him yet.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 5:55:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Signed a 92M dollar deal Nov 14th 2020. He got hurt at the end of the 2020 season (Dec 31st, 2020).

In 2021 he was the #4 cap hit on the team, #2 in 2022, and currently #1 in 2023.

The dude not only takes up a roster spot but a significant chunk of cap space despite not being a contributor for 3 seasons now.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He needs to retire instead of wasting the Packer's money and time.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 5:58:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's no move left to make with Bak.

Link Posted: 9/28/2023 6:00:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude ain't going to retire when he has a dead cap of 40M this year and 19M next year. The time to trade him was last year when he at least played 10 games. Nobody is going to take him now when we're in season 3 after he got injured and he cannot play.

Yeah he's wasting the teams time and money but thats a lot of cash to leave on the table. He can be a cheerleader on the sideline for basically 20 million a year
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 6:00:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Has any team had 3 Thursday games before?
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 6:05:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Dude ain't going to retire when he has a dead cap of 40M this year and 19M next year. The time to trade him was last year when he at least played 10 games. Nobody is going to take him now when we're in season 3 after he got injured and he cannot play.

Yeah he's wasting the teams time and money but thats a lot of cash to leave on the table. He can be a cheerleader on the sideline for basically 20 million a year
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Make him haul water instead of sitting at home watching football games and drinking beer. His crap is getting old but you are correct.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 6:12:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How many players age 31 or younger ever retired and walked away from $50M+ guaranteed money?

All I can think of is Andrew Luck.  I'm not sure what his guaranteed money was on his contract when he retired, but he definitely would have gotten $50M+ guaranteed if he pushed for a new contract that season (if he wasn't already getting it).
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 6:16:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

How many players age 31 or younger ever retired and walked away from $50M+ guaranteed money?

All I can think of is Andrew Luck.  I'm not sure what his guaranteed money was on his contract when he retired, but he definitely would have gotten $50M+ guaranteed if he pushed for a new contract that season (if he wasn't already getting it).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Send him to the Jets.

To late now but he doesn't do any good not playing at the most important lineman postilion for the better part of the last  2-3 years. He has the knees of a 41 year old lineman and yet the guaranteed contract of a 28 year old.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 6:19:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

There's no move left to make with Bak.

View Quote
Shit, the Packers already paid him all his money for the season (besides the vet minimum) with the 3rd restructure they did in the off-season. He's already been paid for, might as well try and put him to use in the tail half of the season before they make a decision this off-season.

Edit: They also have already paid him more than $10M over his initial guaranteed total with all these restructures. Which also gave him his full money before the season began in 2021, 2022 and now 2023.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 6:20:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
According to NFL flex rules, no team can play more than 2 TNF games, and they can only be flexed into it once per season.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 6:24:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By David_ESM:
According to NFL flex rules, no team can play more than 2 TNF games, and they can only be flexed into it once per season.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By David_ESM:
Quoted:

So the Lions own another record for competitive disadvantage
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 6:30:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

So the Lions own another record for competitive disadvantage
View Quote
Nope. Because the Lions are only playing ONE TNF game this year.

Week 1 was the season opener. Not a TNF game.
Week 12 is Thanksgiving on FOX. Not a TNF game.

They are only scheduled to play one TNF game this season, tonight. They are still eligible to flexed into another one. Which would make them play on Thursday 4 times within the rules.

Anyways, since the season opener didn't have a game before it, technically they had an advantage by playing in that game because it gave them extended rest before Week 2 with no short week before hand.

Edit: Looked it up, because I was reminded of another team that always plays on Thanksgiving that played the Thursday night opener recently. Cowboys, 2021. Wk1 Thursday, Wk 12 Thanksgiving, Wk 13 TNF.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 6:32:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Nope. Because the Lions are only playing ONE TNF game this year.

Week 1 was the season opener. Not a TNF game.
Week 12 is Thanksgiving on FOX. Not a TNF game.

They are only scheduled to play one TNF game this season, tonight. They are still eligible to flexed into another one. Which would make them play on Thursday 4 times within the rules.

Anyways, since the season opener didn't have a game before it, technically they had an advantage by playing in that game because it gave them extended rest before Week 2 with no short week before hand.
View Quote

Is TNF defined by being on Prime?
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 6:36:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Is TNF defined by being on Prime?
View Quote
TNF is exclusive to whoever holds the contract. So right now Amazon Prime is the only host of TNF. All the other Thursday games are on other channels and branded differently and are under different team/game limit/flex restrictions/rules.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 6:38:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
TNF is exclusive to whoever holds the contract. So right now Amazon Prime is the only host of TNF. All the other Thursday games are on other channels and branded differently and are under different team/game limit/flex restrictions/rules.
View Quote

Has any other team played 3 games on Thursday during an NFL regular season?
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 6:40:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
I edited it in to my previous post, no big deal you missed it.

Cowboys in 2021. They played the season opener against the defending Super Bowl champing Buccaneers on Thursday. They played a Thanksgiving game as they do every year just like the Lions. Then they played on Thursday Night Football in Week 13 right after Thanksgiving.

There may certainly be more, but I thought to go check the Cowboys because I knew they played the opener and Thanksgiving that year so figured they might have had one more.'

Edit: Looking back at the Cowboys further, curiously noticing that they seem to always play a Thursday game right after Thanksgiving... Some sort of tradition I didn't notice before? Was scheduled that way for 8 of the last 10 seasons including this year.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 6:46:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Cowboys in 2021. They played the season opener against the defending Super Bowl champing Buccaneers on Thursday. They played a Thanksgiving game as they do every year just like the Lions. Then they played on Thursday Night Football in Week 13 right after Thanksgiving.

There may certainly be more, but I thought to go check the Cowboys because I knew they played the opener and Thanksgiving that year so figured they might have had one more.'

Edit: Looking back at the Cowboys further, curiously noticing that they seem to always play a Thursday game right after Thanksgiving... Some sort of tradition I didn't notice before? Was scheduled that way for 8 of the last 10 seasons including this year.
View Quote

League conspiracy to help them gain a better playoff seed
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 6:49:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And then they are forced to play 3 games in 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 7:31:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Bakhtiari going under the knife again...done for the year rumor has it
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 8:03:15 PM EDT
[#26]
My usual bullshit never right prediction.dolphins 43 bills 32
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 8:09:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

All of the last three meetings have been decided by 3 points or less.  I'd say 32-30.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 8:09:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Barry Sanders?
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 8:11:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

That would be awesome.

I'm thinking Bills 24-21
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 8:12:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Let's go lions !
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 8:18:10 PM EDT
[#31]
The Lions used #12 overall to take a RB, and they're still starting Montgomery.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 8:19:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Gibbs isn't a between the tackles guy he's just too damn small.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 8:26:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then why the hell did they draft him?

And why did I draft him?
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 8:27:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That would be awesome.

I'm thinking Bills 24-21
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be awesome.

I'm thinking Bills 24-21

I hope not.  That sounds like a boring game.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 8:28:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

And why did I draft him?
View Quote

To be a "weapon" whatever the hell that means.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 8:29:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Nice !
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 8:31:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

And why did I draft him?
View Quote

Because no one needs more help on the D line and a pass catching running back is more impactful to winning games
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 8:32:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Let's go lions !
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/28/2023 8:33:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Let's go lions !

Yes Sir
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 8:36:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Love is looking rough tonight.

Does he know he's supposed to throw the ball?
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 8:42:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Is this game worth watching ?  We do have prime but have no dog in this fight, other than hoping the Lions beat the Packers just for shits and giggles.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 8:42:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Is this game worth watching ?  We do have prime but have no dog in this fight, other than hoping the Lions beat the Packers just for shits and giggles.
View Quote

So far so good.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 8:44:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

And why did I draft him?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And why did I draft him?

Listening on the radio but that sounded like a nice run up the guts.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 8:45:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's football.

I'd take a bad NFL matchup over just about everything else on broadcast TV.

I also find it pretty nice watching games between teams I'm not invested in one way or the other.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 8:45:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, they're currently beating them, though I couldn't swear that they're doing it for shits and giggles.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 8:46:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And why did I draft him?

Big hole, run was kinda normal
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 8:47:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And why did I draft him?

Montgomery has 8 carries and a TD.

Gibbs has 2 carries.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 8:49:19 PM EDT
[#48]
These fucking announcers are stupid as shit.
Trying to come up with a comparison to Rodgers succeeding Favre and they can't fucking think of Joe Montana followed by Steve Young?
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 8:49:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Gibbs has 2 carries.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And why did I draft him?

Gibbs has 2 carries.

Touchdown Lions.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 8:50:59 PM EDT
[#50]
It's quiet in Lambeau field right now.
Page / 557
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top