BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 557
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:34:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

For a long time he was my first choice whenever the Cowboys HC job would open up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bill Cowher hired 1992, lost super bowl in 1995, won a super bowl in 2005

For a long time he was my first choice whenever the Cowboys HC job would open up.

Mine, too.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:36:10 PM EDT
[#2]
What are you guys even talking about? I can't make heads or tails out of this conversation.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:37:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Something something Aaron Rodgers something something 1 SB ring something wasted HoF career
View Quote

It wasn't always because of coaching that Rodgers didn't win another SB.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:38:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Something something Aaron Rodgers something something 1 SB ring something wasted HoF career
View Quote

Post-McCarthy, the Packers haven’t won a Super Bowl despite having a first ballot HoF QB and the #1 seed multiple times.

You should be thanking Mike McCarthy that the Packers had even had ONE Super Bowl with A-a-ron.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:40:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What are you guys even talking about? I can't make heads or tails out of this conversation.
View Quote

The evolution of the market economy in the southern colonies.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:45:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Sigh.

If you think I said it poorly, I'll ask again.  Do you know an example of a team with a coach that is considered an also-ran, who for multiple years can't get over the hump to get to and win a SB but that team sticks with him and they go on to win a SB?  Because McCarthy at GB is not a good example.  He came in and had both QBs injured the first season, then went 13-3 and made the NFC championship game the next season.  Then they changed QBs to Rodgers and it took him a couple more years to win a SB with the new QB.  
I'm talking about a coach like Marty Schottenheimer, who constantly had great regular season records but couldn't get past the first couple rounds of the playoffs except once with Joe Montana and still couldn't make the SB.  Coaching the same team for multiple years and always stalling short of the goal.  Has it ever worked sticking with someone like that?
View Quote

I don't know if you're being facetious or not, but your entire premise is problematic.  

Once they win the super bowl, they are no longer considered an also ran.   So yes, McCarthy does fit.  He struggled and only got one championship out of one of the greatest qb's of all time.  But he did get that one championship.

I would say every coach who has won only one superbowl could fit that description.  Until they win their 2nd.  

Tom Landry wasn't always a legend.  He couldn't win the big game either.   Until he did.   He fits your description.  He was head coach in 1960 and won his first superbowl in 1971.   The faith ownership and Tex Schramm had in him was repayed 11 years after he was hired.

You setup this false litmus test that only someone who has won a superbowl could pass, then give examples of people who didn't win a super bowl.  Why bring them up when they don't fit your scenario?

You need to let us know how many years NOT winning the superbowl counts as an also ran.   I'm sure we'll identify more with a hard number to go on vice "nah he's not what I'm talking about"

sorry, in a lot of pain and your post fucking annoyed me  
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:48:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Tomlin is the new Marty Schottenheimer.
View Quote
? I thought Tomlin had won one?
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:48:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:55:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:58:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tomlin is the new Marty Schottenheimer.
With Cowhers team.

Been to another but his record is poor.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 12:04:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
With Cowhers team.

Been to another but his record is poor.
View Quote

aah so he's yalls Barry Switzer, gotcha
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 12:18:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Let me ask you something.  Can you give me an example of when being patient with an also-ran, always-falls-just-short coaching staff has paid off with championships?
View Quote

Andy Reid prior to having Mahomes?

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 12:20:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Again, that's not what I asked.  The Eagles did NOT stick with him.  I'm talking about a coach who can't get over the hump, the team sticks with him for 5-6 years despite that and he goes on to win a SB.
View Quote

It was year seven in KC when he won a SB.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 12:43:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Pete Carroll won a SB in his 4th year. That was 10 years ago.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 12:44:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bingo. We really missed out on witnessing the true Rodgers experience this year. Next season will be interesting. Particularly to see how many of his guys they drop and other roster moves. Davante to NYJ?
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 12:53:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Took Cowher 13 years to win a SB
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 12:53:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Bingo. We really missed out on witnessing the true Rodgers experience this year. Next season will be interesting. Particularly to see how many of his guys they drop and other roster moves. Davante to NYJ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Jets still don't entirely make sense to me as his landing spot. Poor OL and not a lot of playmakers on offense.

Teams can change a lot in a year. The Packers WR group is a lot better this year than last year for instance.

I doubt even with Rodgers having a better year than 2022 that the Jets would have won 10 games this season assuming he managed to play all 17 games.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 1:06:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Took Madden 8 years.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 1:09:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Took Landry 11 years.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 1:15:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Post-McCarthy, the Packers haven’t won a Super Bowl despite having a first ballot HoF QB and the #1 seed multiple times.

You should be thanking Mike McCarthy that the Packers had even had ONE Super Bowl with A-a-ron.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So in other words, GB hasn’t won a SB in the last 5 years. Big whoop?

The point is…

Notcalifornialegal (not trying to single you out, just pointing out that you posted the post I was commenting toward) can point at the record or player achievements or playoff appearances as positive examples of McCarthy’s coaching, but at the end of the day the reasons the Cowboys should consider firing McCarthy are the same reasons Rodgers/Packers ended up getting the criticism I posted. BG got it right in his post. McCarthy fucks your team over in the dumbest, most improbable, of ways. Every Packer fan in this thread could fill pages of this thread with the dumb shit McCarthy did himself, or that the team did under his coaching. Cowboys fans have an impressive start to their lists as well. IIRC the last plays of their previous two playoff appearances should be near the top of those lists.

For as much good as McCarthy might do for a team, he gets in the way of success just as much.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 1:15:55 AM EDT
[#21]
So, the most recent example of someone who stayed on one team for several years without progress before finally winning a SB is Bill Cowher, then.  Okay.  That fits because I couldn't remember anyone recent.  I don't think it's a winning strategy in today's NFL.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 1:19:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So, the most recent example of someone who stayed on one team for several years without progress before finally winning a SB is Bill Cowher, then.  Okay.  That fits because I couldn't remember anyone recent.  I don't think it's a winning strategy in today's NFL.
View Quote
Cannot build a team the same way through the draft.

They were built with a great defense  and a great running game.

Cowher was just a QB away from multiple superbowls.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 1:42:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Society has changed, and priorities have shifted. Loyalty, hope, and trust are becoming a memory.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 2:11:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The point is…

Notcalifornialegal (not trying to single you out, just pointing out that you posted the post I was commenting toward) can point at the record or player achievements or playoff appearances as positive examples of McCarthy’s coaching, but at the end of the day the reasons the Cowboys should consider firing McCarthy are the same reasons Rodgers/Packers ended up getting the criticism I posted. BG got it right in his post. McCarthy fucks your team over in the dumbest, most improbable, of ways. Every Packer fan in this thread could fill pages of this thread with the dumb shit McCarthy did himself, or that the team did under his coaching. Cowboys fans have an impressive start to their lists as well. IIRC the last plays of their previous two playoff appearances should be near the top of those lists.

For as much good as McCarthy might do for a team, he gets in the way of success just as much.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The point is…

You can offer up all the rationalizations and denials you want, but the fact is the Packers won a Super Bowl with McCarthy, he left, and the Packers, despite being in much better positions to win another Super Bowl, couldn’t even win a conference championship.

And yet here you sit, trashing the man that’s the reason your franchise didn’t completely piss away the career of “the most talented QB in NFL history.”

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 2:21:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Kenny Pickett skips the last media day.

Something stinks in the Steelers.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 6:54:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Everyone arguing, should Jerry keep McCarthy, should he fire McCarthy, when it doesn't matter. It makes zero difference.

If he fired McCarthy, he isn't hiring anyone that is a big name, high quality coach. He would hire another Jason Garrett/Mike McCarthy/Wade Phillips. He has hired one leader since Jimmy Johnson, and he hated every second of every day while Bill Parcells was there. We ain't getting another Bill Parcells. We will get another Jason Garrett. So it doesn't matter.

The name will be different, but they will be shat out from the same womb. It. Doesn't. Matter. Frankly, McCarthy is probably the best coach of that variation that Jerry could find, keep him. Why not?
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 7:26:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 7:49:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Remember the Dave Campo years

As I recall, he was coach 3 years, went 5-11,5-11,5-11. That's what it took for Jerry to swallow his ego and hire a leader, after he ran the organization into the ditch. He ain't hiring another Parcells after 12-4,12-5 and 12-5. In his mind, Jerry thinks he is close. He thinks he has the right combination, all it needs is tweaked a little, to get over the hump.

Never mind that as soon as you get to the playoffs, there are no more average, marginal teams. There is only well run, buttoned up leaders of men that get every ounce possible out of their teams.

That's why Dallas got their asses kicked by a team with I would argue, inferior talent. The Packers may have a more talented player here or there, but overall Dallas has much more talent. But, Green Bay is led by a leader. They were buttoned up, ready to play. Dallas acted like they wanted to be anywhere but playing football.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 7:50:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Everyone arguing, should Jerry keep McCarthy, should he fire McCarthy, when it doesn't matter. It makes zero difference.

If he fired McCarthy, he isn't hiring anyone that is a big name, high quality coach. He would hire another Jason Garrett/Mike McCarthy/Wade Phillips. He has hired one leader since Jimmy Johnson, and he hated every second of every day while Bill Parcells was there. We ain't getting another Bill Parcells. We will get another Jason Garrett. So it doesn't matter.

The name will be different, but they will be shat out from the same womb. It. Doesn't. Matter. Frankly, McCarthy is probably the best coach of that variation that Jerry could find, keep him. Why not?
View Quote

Dude, don't depress me this early in the morning

I keep hoping his son will be able to influence him to go more hands off, but you're probably right.

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 7:51:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Took Cowher 13 years to win a SB
View Quote

Sure, but his teams were typically contenders to reach the Super Bowl year in and year out. Seems like they nearly always won a playoff game or two each season.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 7:55:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Dude, don't depress me this early in the morning

I keep hoping his son will be able to influence him to go more hands off, but you're probably right.

View Quote

I go back to early 80s as a fan. 12-5 seasons are actually, not a high spot, but not a low either. Of course early 90s was the high spot, we are never hitting that again. Being consistently competitive is the best we can hope for.

And, say whatever you want about McCarthy, he has been consistently competitive. I would have been shocked if Jerry had fired him. In fact, don't be surprised to see him get a contract extension in the off-season.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 7:57:02 AM EDT
[#32]

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/patriots/2024/01/17/jerod-mayo-new-england-patriots-coach-bill-belichick/72255673007/

"Mayo is the franchise's first Black head coach, a distinction he said "means a lot to me." Kraft referred to himself as "colorblind" when making decisions for the team.

Mayo says he sees it differently.

“I do see color. If you don't see color, you can't see racism," Mayo said."

The eyerolling has started already in New England with the new coach's comments.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 8:00:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/patriots/2024/01/17/jerod-mayo-new-england-patriots-coach-bill-belichick/72255673007/

"Mayo is the franchise's first Black head coach, a distinction he said "means a lot to me." Kraft referred to himself as "colorblind" when making decisions for the team.

The eyerolling has started already in New England with the new coach's comments.
View Quote

Affirmative action hires gonna affirmative action.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 9:44:28 AM EDT
[#34]
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/jerry-jones-releases-statement-on-mccarthy-s-return

I could have fucking written that for Jerry

His ego is such that reality and facts have zero meaning. In order to win a championship, all that is required is to continue doing what he is doing, except a little harder

It's like if you laid your dick on the table and smacked it with a book 10 times, and 10 times it hurt like hell. But you convince yourself it will feel good if you smack it the 11th time.

I don't think Jerry is a stupid man, I think his narcissism has over riden his ability for critical, logical thinking. He is guilty of one of the worst things a human being can do, he lies to himself. Sometimes it's necessary to lie to the world, to practice deception. But you never deceive yourself. And Jerry is deceiving himself big time.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 9:49:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ahhhh. Racism. The boogyman who's always at fault...for everything.

Yay Patriots.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 9:57:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Absolutely sick and disgusted that McCarthy is coming back for more of the same. Only difference next season is there will be no more cupcake games. They’ll have a brutal schedule next year and will be lucky to win 6-8 games tops. Life long second generation fan/season ticket holder here too but I’m boycotting next season. IF they resign Dak “The Long Con” Prescott to some ludicrous contract extension I will be opting out too for however long he’s on the roster. The madness has reached epic proportions with thinking this QB and coach can win in the playoffs or even big games during the regular season. Its ridiculous.
View Quote

On paper, he is better than Brady. There are some in this thread who actually feel that way.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 9:59:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Yay Patriots.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yay Patriots.

He is being brought in to fail.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 10:00:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
On paper, he is better than Brady. There are some in this thread who actually feel that way.
View Quote

Brady's super power wasn't his arm. It wasn't his legs. It was his mind and his iron will.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 10:02:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Save for one Thanksgiving game a few years back, I’ve seen every Cowboys game going back over a decade.

Taking everything into account, that was THE worst defensive performance I have seen from a Cowboys team in that time.  If you want to shit all over the offense, have at it, but the vast majority of the blame for that game goes on defense, IMO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it was the offense that royally shit the bed turning in their worst performance of the season, I’d be pissed at keeping McCarthy.

However, with it being the defense that royally shit the bed turning in their worst performance of the season, I’m indifferent.  Realistically, there aren’t any viable candidates that are a “wow, that guy would DEFINITELY be better and would be willing to put up with Jerry” choice.

Also, I’m not as high as others on the prospect of a HC that is 5 years away from the average US male life expectancy and requires the greatest QB in NFL history to be successful.  

This really isn't a bad take.

If he blows it next year then yeah, shitcan him.

I don't mean to be a dick to you or him, but it kind of is a bad take.

First up, the Cowboys offense struggled against an infamously sketchy Joe Barry defense. That defense was so problematic, it was a weekly meme in the U-Tree videos. While I can name every HC in the league, there aren't that many DCs I know off the top of my head, and Joe Barry is one I do know of, and for all the wrong reasons. When you have what is arguably the #2 offense in the NFL, and you come out flat and struggle against those guys, it's a problem.

Second thing is, the Cowboys offense didn't really play with a sense of urgency when they needed to, and they seem to fail a lot at situational football things. If you look at a "you have X yards to go and Y seconds to do it" type scenarios, the Cowboys seem to get that wrong a lot, and I'm not really talking about a lack of talent or bad execution. They're slow to the line and they run plays that are wrong for the situation. Need a TD with the clock about to run out? Let's take forever to snap the ball, then throw it to a guy outside the end zone! This was an established criticism of them last season, and while I'm not in the habit of watching the Cowboys play often, I don't get the sense that this has improved.

And a big one is, this the opportunity cost of keeping McCarthy is real. This is a uniquely interesting year in the coaching cycle. There are a lot of interesting names out there, both veterans and young guns. I don't think Vrabel is the solution to the Cowboys problem, but Belichick and Harbaugh? Johnson and Slowik? All of those guys have the potential to be better than what McCarthy is. Keeping McCarthy and not bringing those guys in for interviews and discussions seems like a really big mistake. HC isn't like QB. We only get a few elite QBs per decade in the league, but solid coaches aren't THAT hard to find, and you don't need a top 5 draft pick or $200M+ in fully guaranteed cap space money to bring one in. Yes, you can get it wrong. But after four seasons, we know (or should know) McCarthy ain't it. And next year's pool probably won't be as good.

I can't really speculate about a lot of the hypothetical relationship issues between Jerry and prospective coaches. I'm sure it comes from somewhere, but a lot of that sounds like urban legends and wife's tales.

Save for one Thanksgiving game a few years back, I’ve seen every Cowboys game going back over a decade.

Taking everything into account, that was THE worst defensive performance I have seen from a Cowboys team in that time.  If you want to shit all over the offense, have at it, but the vast majority of the blame for that game goes on defense, IMO.

I've been plenty critical of the Cowboys defense in that game. The Packers had 9 real possessions in that game, and they scored TDs on 6 of them. That's obviously a problem.  

Meanwhile, on offense, the Cowboys first four possessions went:
Punt
INT
Punt
Pick 6

And just like that, the game started with the Cowboys in the hole 27-0.

Sure, the Cowboys eventually scored 32 points, but it was never less than a 3 score game, and that changes the flow of the game and how the Packers play them.

We can talk about how the Cowboys eventually racked up 510 yards of offense and all those points, but the context matters.

It's kind of like pointing out Dak had an 89.8 passer rating game (insert Brady joke here lol) without acknowledging that he also had a 43.4 QBR game.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 10:17:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Brady's super power wasn't his arm. It wasn't his legs. It was his mind and his iron will.
View Quote

I agree. It wasn't padding stats against shitty teams only to lose when it matters.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 10:26:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yay Patriots.

Still haven't seen much in the way of staffing talks.

GM likely from within the org.

Belichik's kids are invited to stay.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 10:37:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Dallas is keeping McCarthy.
View Quote

Maybe Jerry is fed up and is going to sell the franchise and let the new owners deal with the constant bullshit.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 10:48:38 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Buffalo's defense is now using 3rd stringers. That's not ideal in any circumstance, let alone in the playoffs against the defending Super Bowl champs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Chiefs are going to have a hard time against the Bills in Buffalo.

Buffalo's defense is now using 3rd stringers. That's not ideal in any circumstance, let alone in the playoffs against the defending Super Bowl champs.

This

I want my Bills to win…..but Defense Circumstances……and against Mahomes……gonna be interesting
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 10:50:29 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

If it was the offense that royally shit the bed turning in their worst performance of the season, I’d be pissed at keeping McCarthy.

However, with it being the defense that royally shit the bed turning in their worst performance of the season, I’m indifferent.  Realistically, there aren’t any viable candidates that are a “wow, that guy would DEFINITELY be better and would be willing to put up with Jerry” choice.

Also, I’m not as high as others on the prospect of a HC that is 5 years away from the average US male life expectancy and requires the greatest QB in NFL history to be successful.  
View Quote

What were the first half offense stats for that game again ???
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 10:51:18 AM EDT
[#45]
At my Sons house just outside of Buffalo got 64” of snow
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:06:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Everything you said is accurate, and if they were 9-8 or barely squeaking into the playoffs I'd be on the fire him bandwagon.

But the regular season did happen where they put up and prevented a shitload of points with Dak being a MVP candidate, Daron Bland tying the pick 6 record, Micah Parsons being a DPOY candidate and CeeDee Lamb for OPOY.  The team straight up performed exceedingly well during the regular season using whatever metric you like.  This year though with the NFL being a a one and done league, a game that they probably win 9/10 came up 1. I'd hate to risk losing that level of performance over one game.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't mean to be a dick to you or him, but it kind of is a bad take.

First up, the Cowboys offense struggled against an infamously sketchy Joe Barry defense. That defense was so problematic, it was a weekly meme in the U-Tree videos. While I can name every HC in the league, there aren't that many DCs I know off the top of my head, and Joe Barry is one I do know of, and for all the wrong reasons. When you have what is arguably the #2 offense in the NFL, and you come out flat and struggle against those guys, it's a problem.

Second thing is, the Cowboys offense didn't really play with a sense of urgency when they needed to, and they seem to fail a lot at situational football things. If you look at a "you have X yards to go and Y seconds to do it" type scenarios, the Cowboys seem to get that wrong a lot, and I'm not really talking about a lack of talent or bad execution. They're slow to the line and they run plays that are wrong for the situation. Need a TD with the clock about to run out? Let's take forever to snap the ball, then throw it to a guy outside the end zone! This was an established criticism of them last season, and while I'm not in the habit of watching the Cowboys play often, I don't get the sense that this has improved.

And a big one is, the opportunity cost of keeping McCarthy is real. This is a uniquely interesting year in the coaching cycle. There are a lot of interesting names out there, both veterans and young guns. I don't think Vrabel is the solution to the Cowboys problem, but Belichick and Harbaugh? Johnson and Slowik? All of those guys have the potential to be better than what McCarthy is. Keeping McCarthy and not bringing those guys in for interviews and discussions seems like a really big mistake. HC isn't like QB. We only get a few elite QBs per decade in the league, but solid coaches aren't THAT hard to find, and you don't need a top 5 draft pick or $200M+ in fully guaranteed cap space money to bring one in. Yes, you can get it wrong. But after four seasons, we know (or should know) McCarthy ain't it. And next year's pool probably won't be as good.

I can't really speculate about a lot of the hypothetical relationship issues between Jerry and prospective coaches. I'm sure it comes from somewhere, but a lot of that sounds like urban legends and wife's tales.

Everything you said is accurate, and if they were 9-8 or barely squeaking into the playoffs I'd be on the fire him bandwagon.

But the regular season did happen where they put up and prevented a shitload of points with Dak being a MVP candidate, Daron Bland tying the pick 6 record, Micah Parsons being a DPOY candidate and CeeDee Lamb for OPOY.  The team straight up performed exceedingly well during the regular season using whatever metric you like.  This year though with the NFL being a a one and done league, a game that they probably win 9/10 came up 1. I'd hate to risk losing that level of performance over one game.

This seems like a reasonable argument.

But, in four years of Mike McCarthy, the Cowboys have 3 playoff appearances, and they are 1-3 in those games with the sole win being against a dysfunctional NFC South team.

There was one season where his team was riddled by injuries and he gets a pass. The rest? I'm not so sure.

You're down 23-17, there's 14 second on the clock, you're out of timeouts, and you're on your opponent's 40 yard line. What do you call in that situation? Probably not this:

Dak Prescott STUPIDLY runs on final play of Cowboys-49ers game, killing clock with no time left

And for no reason in particular, here's Zeke's infamous last play as a Cowboy (also in a 1 score situation at the desperate end of a playoff game):

Who Knew Ezekiel Elliott at Center Wouldn’t Work ???? | Cowboys vs 49ers | 2023 NFC Divisional

Does a properly coached team do these things?
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:07:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

I see your point. He's gone 12-5 every year now for the past 3 years. They've been relevant in discussions about the playoffs and superbowl during the regular season. Many fanbases around the country would love to be in a position every year where they playoffs are meaningful to them.

Also you're 100% right the kind of coach Jerry would hire. It's Jerry's team and he's not letting someone come in there that can 'take ownership' of his team and get the credit for helming the ship instead of Jerry.

He was just saying there's 10,000 coaches out there. He thinks good coaches are a dime a dozen.

Playing devils advocate though.... Jerry is in his 80s. I can see him being all "man, I don't want to go through all the headaches of hiring all these new coaches and having a whole new football system. We're in the playoffs every year. If it aint broke; don't fix it."
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:07:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

So a Deonte Hartys worth?
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:11:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Damn.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:16:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Absolutely sick and disgusted that McCarthy is coming back for more of the same. Only difference next season is there will be no more cupcake games. They’ll have a brutal schedule next year and will be lucky to win 6-8 games tops. Life long second generation fan/season ticket holder here too but I’m boycotting next season. IF they resign Dak “The Long Con” Prescott to some ludicrous contract extension I will be opting out too for however long he’s on the roster. The madness has reached epic proportions with thinking this QB and coach can win in the playoffs or even big games during the regular season. Its ridiculous.
View Quote

There's a huge difference in the QB and HC situations.

At QB, there's a near 0% chance Dallas will have the opportunity to acquire a QB better than Dak. There won't be any in FA, nobody trades QBs like that, and Dallas picking at #24 with as many as 15 QB needy teams in front of them.

Meanwhile, there's a six pack of HC candidates on the market right now with at least the potential to be better than McCarthy.
Page / 557
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top