Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 557
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 12:37:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Can’t say I blame Wilson.  Given the option of living in Denver or Philadelphia, it’s a no-brainer.

Hell, living in pretty much any city or town in the US instead of Philly would be a no-brainer.
View Quote

Denver is such a mess I can't imagine how bad Philly is.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 12:38:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So, Mina compares Dak to Drew Brees on stats.  But the big difference of course is style.  Dak is one of several quarterbacks who put up big numbers as dual threat guys.  Then they get older and want to be pocket passers.  The question I have is this: Has anyone actually made the transition?  Off the top of my head, I can't really think of a guy who started as a dual threat guy who you could point to and say "wow, he's turned into a really great pocket passer."  Steve Young maybe?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Last year Dak also led the NFL in INTs thrown that were NOT "turnover-worthy" meaning a lot of the INTs weren't his fault.

Of course many people didn't let a little thing like that get in the way of their Dak narrative.  The most obvious example was when the throw in the pic below resulted in a game-ending pick six and the usual suspects blamed it all on Dak for "throwing a horrible INT," "choking," "costing his team the game," etc.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258158/D8F917AC-2038-4FF7-B2B1-69D6E11D4708_jpe-2837436.JPG
So, Mina compares Dak to Drew Brees on stats.  But the big difference of course is style.  Dak is one of several quarterbacks who put up big numbers as dual threat guys.  Then they get older and want to be pocket passers.  The question I have is this: Has anyone actually made the transition?  Off the top of my head, I can't really think of a guy who started as a dual threat guy who you could point to and say "wow, he's turned into a really great pocket passer."  Steve Young maybe?

Vick?
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 12:40:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 12:51:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Vick?
View Quote
I don't recall him being a great pocket passer, but then again I never really followed his career much.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 12:55:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

They haven’t won a Super Bowl since 1996.

I can’t say I give a shit about simply making it to a Conference Championship game.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 12:57:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Steelers have moved Kendrick Green back to back up center.

Dude is not a center and should have been released.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 2:17:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I can’t speak to that.  I’d bang her, but that’s where my interest in anything regarding that woman ends.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 3:06:17 PM EDT
[#8]

I thought they had a contract that didn't allow this... Things looked like they were almost done, I guess not.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 3:16:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Last year Dak also led the NFL in INTs thrown that were NOT “turnover-worthy” meaning a lot of the INTs weren’t his fault.

Of course many people didn’t let a little thing like that get in the way of their Dak narrative.  The most obvious example was when the throw in the pic below resulted in a game-ending pick six and the usual suspects blamed it all on Dak for “throwing a horrible INT,” “choking,” “costing his team the game,” etc.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258158/D8F917AC-2038-4FF7-B2B1-69D6E11D4708_jpe-2837436.JPG
View Quote

Agreed. That TE that walked, he would smack the ball up into the air instead of catching it. I remember at least 3 INTs because of that last season.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 3:17:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That is because defenses figured out to simply drop back in coverage to force Dak to make reads.
If they continue to do it again this year, I expect his numbers to be the same.
Granted if they can improve the running game even just slightly more, it will help his passing as he can pass in basic coverage.
View Quote

I would say that Daks ability to read defenses could improve.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 3:20:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/2/2023 3:34:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Last year Dak also led the NFL in INTs thrown that were NOT "turnover-worthy" meaning a lot of the INTs weren't his fault.

Of course many people didn't let a little thing like that get in the way of their Dak narrative.  The most obvious example was when the throw in the pic below resulted in a game-ending pick six and the usual suspects blamed it all on Dak for "throwing a horrible INT," "choking," "costing his team the game," etc.

Was Dak ever really a dual threat guy? In 7 seasons, he has two with 300+ rushing yards and his career high was 357 yards.

In 2022, there were 9 QBs with 300+ rushing yards:

Fields - 1,143
LJax - 764
Allen - 762
Hurts - 760
Jones - 708
Mariota - 438
Murray - 418
Geno - 366
Mahomes - 358

All of these guys rushed for more yardage just last year than Dak ever has.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 3:59:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Was Dak ever really a dual threat guy? In 7 seasons, he has two with 300+ rushing yards and his career high was 357 yards.

Fields - 1,143
LJax - 764
Allen - 762
Hurts - 760
Jones - 708
Mariota - 438
Murray - 418
Geno - 366
Mahomes - 358

View Quote
Just going off memory, he tended to have at least one or two big runs a game. It was enough that you had to respect it, which opened up passing lanes.  He's probably more Steve Young than Michael Vick.  He never needed the kind of laser accuracy that a Brees or Rodgers had.  But for very understandable reasons Dak wants to run less.  

The question I have is more philosophical.  A lot of commentators seem to take it for granted that you can transition to a pocket passer.  I'm not sure we've actually seen it though.  I think they're underestimating the skill set needed to be a pocket passer.  It's more than just big arm, which Dak clearly has.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 4:04:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You will always have americancake_queen
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 4:11:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Agreed. That TE that walked, he would smack the ball up into the air instead of catching it. I remember at least 3 INTs because of that last season.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Last year Dak also led the NFL in INTs thrown that were NOT “turnover-worthy” meaning a lot of the INTs weren’t his fault.

Of course many people didn’t let a little thing like that get in the way of their Dak narrative.  The most obvious example was when the throw in the pic below resulted in a game-ending pick six and the usual suspects blamed it all on Dak for “throwing a horrible INT,” “choking,” “costing his team the game,” etc.

Haha, yeah one of them in particular was so bad it almost seemed like he did it intentionally.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 5:06:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just going off memory, he tended to have at least one or two big runs a game. It was enough that you had to respect it, which opened up passing lanes.  He's probably more Steve Young than Michael Vick.  He never needed the kind of laser accuracy that a Brees or Rodgers had.  But for very understandable reasons Dak wants to run less.  

The question I have is more philosophical.  A lot of commentators seem to take it for granted that you can transition to a pocket passer.  I'm not sure we've actually seen it though.  I think they're underestimating the skill set needed to be a pocket passer.  It's more than just big arm, which Dak clearly has.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fields - 1,143
LJax - 764
Allen - 762
Hurts - 760
Jones - 708
Mariota - 438
Murray - 418
Geno - 366
Mahomes - 358

FWIW, statistically his running stats are marginally better than a young Rodgers. That's not a bad thing IMO.

As far as the transition between scrambler/dual threat QB and pocket passing QB, I don't think anyone has been elite at both. I think you have guys like Mahomes or a young Rodgers who have elite arm talent while in the pocket or scrambling, plus just enough wheels to opportunistically break off a good run. Then you have guys like Brady who are elite pocket passers and look like a liability when they do run. Then you have guys like Vick or Groot that are RB's with an arm.

I only mentioned Vick because in the 2nd half of his career he wasn't as reliant on his legs. He wasn't really a pocket passer though, more like the Rodgers/Mahomes kind of QB but with less arm talent.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 5:28:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Bills gave Ed Oliver a 4 year/$68M/$45M extension.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 5:38:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You will always have americancake_queen
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 5:40:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Haha, yeah one of them in particular was so bad it almost seemed like he did it intentionally.
View Quote

I am sure it wasn't on purpose. But a couple, it looked like the fucker was playing volleyball.

I also think that with Amari gone, there were a few instances of recievers running the wrong routes. But, Dak does need to cut back on INTs this year, no question.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 7:53:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Gotta love the offseason.  "STOP THE PRESSES!  HE SHOOK HIS HEAD IN A DISRESPECTFUL MANNER!"

The Office:Michael Scott-Stay Calm

Link Posted: 6/4/2023 8:12:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Seems like they are speculating on the reason he shook his head????

Maybe he shook his head because he was think, "Damn bro...I want to win a Super Bowl before I retire."
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 8:14:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah , the JJ vs JJ feud really fucked us Cowboys fans over . They maybe could have had success like Belichik and Kraft  had . We will never know .  
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 9:35:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yeah , the JJ vs JJ feud really fucked us Cowboys fans over . They maybe could have had success like Belichik and Kraft  had . We will never know .  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I very, very much doubt it.

For his entire 35 year coaching career Jimmy Johnson was never in the same place for more than 5 seasons.  I don't think Jimmy was going to stick around for much longer (damn sure not 15+ years) regardless of what Jerry did.

Not to mention, the primary reason the Patriots dynasty happened was, IMO, because they had the GOAT for nearly two decades.  Whereas the Cowboys had a QB who needed the best O-line in NFL history, the NFL career rushing leader, a Hall of Fame WR, an All Pro TE, a top 5 defense, and a Hall of Fame coach just so he could be above average - good.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 9:58:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

For his entire 35 year coaching career Jimmy Johnson was never in the same place for more than 5 seasons.  I don't think Jimmy was going to stick around for much longer (damn sure not 15+ years) regardless of what Jerry did.

Not to mention, the primary reason the Patriots dynasty happened was, IMO, because they had the GOAT for nearly two decades.  Whereas the Cowboys had a QB who needed the best O-line in NFL history, the NFL career rushing leader, a Hall of Fame WR, an All Pro TE, a top 5 defense, and a Hall of Fame coach just so he could be above average - good.
View Quote

Yes , you are correct , but damnit if they weren’t fucking great during those years ! I was a fan of the ‘boys back during the Tom Landry’s 70’s years .
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 10:06:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jimmy secretly interviewed with Jacksonville during the 93 season. He had a date in his calendar as to when he was leaving Dallas. He was never staying put.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 12:26:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Stop.  Just stop.  I'll tolerate many things from a Cowboys fan, but this is beyond the pale.  There is only one acceptable answer.  Jerruh Jones is the sole cause of everything wrong with the Cowboys . . . and America.  

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/5/2023 1:29:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Stop.  Just stop.  I'll tolerate many things from a Cowboys fan, but this is beyond the pale.  There is only one acceptable answer.  Jerruh Jones is the sole cause of everything wrong with the Cowboys . . . and America.  

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/temp-95.gif
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/temp-95.gif

Oh, you done it now. He just went to make a pot of coffee...
(I suffer from JDS as well)
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:09:07 AM EDT
[#29]

Was arrested in 2018 for driving on a suspended license and possession (with the Browns).
Has been suspended for 18 total games for substance abuse.
Signed on with the XFL in 2020 but was injured and dropped.
Hasn't played in a game since 2020 when he had 2 receptions for the Dolphins playing 56 snaps in 4 games.
Signed to the Cowboys practice squad last season.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:24:07 AM EDT
[#30]

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:39:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/1zvslystz4-7.gif
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/5/2023 12:04:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Bills biggest weakness right now is roster spots.

They're going to cut about 6 guys they really don't want to

On the other hand they still don't have a starter at MLB or ROT
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 12:10:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Implementation of the salary cap ended the Cowboy dynasty more than Jimmy’s frustration with Jerry.  It meant that payroll was no longer the pathway to success.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 12:18:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I only mentioned Vick because in the 2nd half of his career he wasn't as reliant on his legs. He wasn't really a pocket passer though, more like the Rodgers/Mahomes kind of QB but with less arm talent.
View Quote

Mahomes and Rodgers are both a million times the QB that Vick was for a lot of reasons, but I contend that nobody has ever had more arm talent than he did.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 1:37:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Implementation of the salary cap ended the Cowboy dynasty more than Jimmy’s frustration with Jerry.  It meant that payroll was no longer the pathway to success.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The salary cap actually would’ve helped the Cowboys, which is why Jerry was the one pushing for it.

For an NFL owner, Jerry Jones really isn’t all that rich.  Jerry knew if other, far wealthier, owners started to REALLY open up their checkbooks there would be no way for Jerry to compete.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 1:40:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Mahomes and Rodgers are both a million times the QB that Vick was for a lot of reasons, but I contend that nobody has ever had more arm talent than he did.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Including Marino and Elway?
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 1:49:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The salary cap actually would’ve helped the Cowboys, which is why Jerry was the one pushing for it.

For an NFL owner, Jerry Jones really isn’t all that rich.  Jerry knew if other, far wealthier, owners started to REALLY open up their checkbooks there would be no way for Jerry to compete.
View Quote

I don’t remember it happening that way, at all.  I remember Eddie DeBartolo, Jr., and Jerry in an arms race for about 5-6 years with two teams loaded with Hall of Famers that they couldn’t monopolize once the cap was implemented.  Regardless, if Jerry did want the cap, do you think it has worked out as he intended?  The Cowboys are valuable, he didn’t go broke on All Pros….but he hasn’t won anything since, either.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 1:51:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Including Marino and Elway?
View Quote

Yes, and they were both also a million times better as QBs.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 4:36:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Via The Athletic: NFL players on gambling policy, suspensions: 'That could have been any one of us'

Both agents [Peter Schaffer + anonymous agent] said that since the April suspensions, they have heard from players confessing they now know they’ve violated the league’s gambling policy.

“I have a player who has said to me, I bet from the facility, $3 or $5 bets on other sports,” said the second veteran agent, who asked for and was granted anonymity so his client could not be identified.

“He said, ‘What do I do?’ I said, ‘Don’t volunteer anything. But if somebody asks you, you have to be honest. They likely have evidence.'”

Article says, from the players they interviewed, 80% didn't know it was illegal to gamble from work/team facilities on their phones.

7 year veteran player: “I had no idea. I don’t think any player knows about that. That’s so specific. If players know about that, kudos to them.”

9 year veteran player: “I thought that you couldn’t bet on anything during the NFL season." (Incorrect)

10 year veteran player: “I don’t even know what the rule is, or when the rule changed or the fine print on what you can or can’t gamble on."

Article has some Q&A with anonymous players about gambling.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 5:07:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 5:16:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I don’t remember it happening that way, at all.  I remember Eddie DeBartolo, Jr., and Jerry in an arms race for about 5-6 years with two teams loaded with Hall of Famers that they couldn’t monopolize once the cap was implemented.  Regardless, if Jerry did want the cap, do you think it has worked out as he intended?  The Cowboys are valuable, he didn’t go broke on All Pros….but he hasn’t won anything since, either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m talking about your claim of “implementation of the salary cap ended the Cowboy dynasty more than Jimmy’s frustration with Jerry.”

What did or didn’t happen over a decade after that is a different conversation.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 5:16:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Via Brandon Beane, the new Bills stadium will be natural gas with heated coils underneath to keep it from freezing up. The Bills have not used natural gas since 1972 at War Memorial stadium.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 5:19:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Via Brandon Beane, the new Bills stadium will be natural gas with heated coils underneath to keep it from freezing up. The Bills have not used natural gas since 1972 at War Memorial stadium.
View Quote

They should have went with propane, I tell you what.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 6:12:34 PM EDT
[#44]

6th round pick in 2020, so entering his 4th season. He's their kick returner. 61 returns in 45 game appearances. 1,645 yards (27.0 per return), 1 run back for a TD.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 7:46:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Was arrested in 2018 for driving on a suspended license and possession (with the Browns).
Has been suspended for 18 total games for substance abuse.
Signed on with the XFL in 2020 but was injured and dropped.
Hasn't played in a game since 2020 when he had 2 receptions for the Dolphins playing 56 snaps in 4 games.
Signed to the Cowboys practice squad last season.
View Quote

And he’s gone.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 7:49:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I’m talking about your claim of “implementation of the salary cap ended the Cowboy dynasty more than Jimmy’s frustration with Jerry.”

View Quote

???

The salary cap was implemented between the 1993 and 1994 seasons?  Dallas and San Fran both won one more, but it was the end of the era.  Only SF has made it back to a NFCCG or SB since, and they didn’t win.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 7:54:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'll take that bet for $1.

Bert Jones (Colts) & Sonny Jurgensen (Redskins) are two that come to mind with as good as or better arms than Vick. Terry Bradshaw is another that might be as good as well. Bobby Layne is another QB I could list.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 7:57:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I guess I don't understand the big deal, as long as they don't bet on themselves to lose and take a dive.
View Quote

Suggest you read up on the 1919 Chicago White Sox.

What would a player say when he's $3-400,000 in debt to the bookies & they "politely suggest" he drop a critical pass here & there?
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 8:39:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

???

The salary cap was implemented between the 1993 and 1994 seasons?  Dallas and San Fran both won one more, but it was the end of the era.  Only SF has made it back to a NFCCG or SB since, and they didn’t win.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

???

I'm talking specifically about the 90s Cowboys' dynasty and what was the primary reason it ended.  You started talking about what happened over the next quarter of a century after it ended and I'm just saying that's a different conversation from what I'm talking about.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:02:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

What would a player say when he's $3-400,000 in debt to the bookies & they "politely suggest" he drop a critical pass here & there?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess I don't understand the big deal, as long as they don't bet on themselves to lose and take a dive.

There is a huge difference between betting on sports in 1919 with a bookie/mobster and betting on sports in 2023 with FanDuel/Draftkings.
Page / 557
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top