Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:38:48 PM EDT
[#1]
place i worked at had same policy for helping .... i always said screw it i can find another job if something happens.... he cant just find another life...
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:40:26 PM EDT
[#2]
While I hope the guy is ok and pulls through all right, he is a fucking retard for buying that garbage shit.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:40:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Hope the guy will be alright and that Vulcan will take care of the since it was factory ammo.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:42:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hope the guy skill be alright and that Vulcan will take care of the since it was factory ammo.

Good luck...

If they took responsibility for all the crap they sell that fails, they would be so deep in debt, they would be upside down in a rice paddy...
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:43:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow. Hope the shooter is goibg to be ok.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:43:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Must have been bad steel or poor heat treatment for those bolt lugs to shear off.  I hope he makes a quick recovery.

Note to self:  Do not buy Vulcan.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:44:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm glad he's okay.

I've never actually seen any first hand Vulcan use.

I'm getting the impression that you don't want to now!
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:44:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I was an RO for a county-operated range.  We were all Red Cross certified First Aid, CPR, and AED.  We were also forbidden from using our training on any of the public for fear of lawsuits.  We were told to bring out a first aid kit and let the injured party or bystanders provide care.  I treated a GSW at our range and was almost fired for it.

If it was a life or death situation, I hope you would be willing to sacrifice your job to save a life.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:45:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Yikes!  Hope he is ok.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:46:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Fuck me! I just took my CHL renewal there at Hot Wells a week ago!  That is some crazy shit.  I'll have to ask about it next time head over to go shooting.

Glad Vulcan was never on any list of shit to buy.  Never will be.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:46:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was an RO for a county-operated range.  We were all Red Cross certified First Aid, CPR, and AED.  We were also forbidden from using our training on any of the public for fear of lawsuits.  We were told to bring out a first aid kit and let the injured party or bystanders provide care.  I treated a GSW at our range and was almost fired for it.

If it was a life or death situation, I hope you would be willing to sacrifice your job to save a life.

Judging by the fact he "treated a GSW at our range and was almost fired for it." I am sure he would.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:47:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:47:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Don't Good Samaritan laws protect individuals who render first aid regardless of their affiliation to a range??
I know in Colorado this covers them regardless of a person being an employee or customer of gun ranges or anywhere for that matter.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:47:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow.  This is why it's so important for RO's to have at least ACLS certifications.

Did the guy have a heart attack?

Lutz
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:48:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Hope the dudes ok. He's going go be looking at a lot of these in the future.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:49:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Wonder if the bolt looked like the 3rd one pictured here.

http://www.outlawperformance.com/myhessearms50bmgrifle_files/image012.jpg

First thought I had seeing one of these advertised in SGN was "damn that is going to kill someone"
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:50:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't Good Samaritan laws protect individuals who render first aid regardless of their affiliation to a range??
I know in Colorado this covers them regardless of a person being an employee or customer of gun ranges or anywhere for that matter.

Why take the chance?  People will sue for anything and everything, trying to get that easy pay day.

Call 911 and watch/walk away.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:50:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I were a resident of that county, I would work hard to fire whoever wrote that asinine policy.

The problems happen when people that are trained and certified provide care "above their certification".   When they fuck something up, the org they work for gets to pay up.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:50:48 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

story from his buddy was that he traded an automatic saiga 12 gauge for it....any time you can trade a saiga for a 50, you should know youre f*cked

He traded his gun for a brand new unfired 50 CAL?

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:50:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Hope he sues the shit out of them and wins

Normally I hate lawsuits but in this instance it would seem worthwhile.

FIRST shot? Yeah.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:51:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Vulcan,they make Tier products.

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:51:50 PM EDT
[#22]
OP said it was a 3 lug. Of those three options I would take the 2 lug, it looks the strongest.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:51:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why take the chance?  People will sue for anything and everything, trying to get that easy pay day.

If it's holding pressure on a bleeder, that's one thing
If it's trying to dig a bullet out with a pocket knife or botching a trach, that's another.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:52:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
to be fair to all involved...it was American Eagle Black box ammo....funny thing i went to the gun store right after leaving the range, and as i walked up, a guy had about 10 boxes of the stuff he had just paid for with his wife carrying his brand new 50....almost said something, but didn't want to screw the guy out of a chance to see a bolt lodged in his wife....

joking....about the ammo

no really, real story, joking about bolt in wife

WTF?

You just seen a guy almost die with a gun exploding in his face and your cracking jokes about?

WTF? 13r

I'm going to assume you've lead a very sheltered life..

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:53:03 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Depends on certs held. First responders and up if IIRC can be sued here. Both if you fuck up treatment or if you refuse to help.

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:53:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow.  This is why it's so important for RO's to have at least ACLS certifications.

May I just re, you don't know what ACLS is or what the training entails, do you?

ACLS isn't/wouldn't of helped. Some BLS/first responder training (about as low and basic as you can go, one day course) would be a good level of training for ROs.

My range medic bag looks like I am about to invade Fallujah when I go to the range. Thank god all I have ever had to pass out is bandaids.

BLS/FR "one day training" would be about as useful as ACLS for a GSW or a 50 cal bolt stuck in your neck.  All they reall teach in BLS is "CALL 911!!!!!!!!  Somebody give me the number for 911!!!!!!!"
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:54:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Why is it that when a Glock asplodes, everyone immediately suspects handloads?

I have a couple vulcan uppers... and yes, their finish and fit is the suck, but I didn't buy them for representative examples.  They do work, yet you get what you pay for, and I did have to file off rough spots and other QC things.  They shoot just fine after tuning though.  

Kinda like a 1980's 1911.  

Nonetheless... I am curious of the outpouring of hatred toward a company that I daresay nary a poster before me has ever owned a product bearing their logo.  (Certainly not suggesting that you do, unless you are a least a certified tinkerer and aren't afraid of getting burned.)
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:54:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I were a resident of that county, I would work hard to fire whoever wrote that asinine policy.

The problems happen when people that are trained and certified provide care "above their certification".   When they fuck something up, the org they work for gets to pay up.

Yeah, how about its impossible to go above your certification with a first aid kit and a BVM!!!

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:54:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

May I just re, you don't know what ACLS is or what the training entails, do you?

ACLS isn't/wouldn't of helped. Some BLS/first responder training (about as low and basic as you can go, one day course) would be a good level of training for ROs.

My range medic bag looks like I am about to invade Fallujah when I go to the range. Thank god all I have ever had to pass out is bandaids.

BLS/FR "one day training" would be about as useful as ACLS for a GSW or a 50 cal bolt stuck in your neck.  All they reall teach in BLS is "CALL 911!!!!!!!!  Somebody give me the number for 911!!!!!!!"

and Push hard..push fast.

High Quality CPR of the High Quality Type.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:55:08 PM EDT
[#30]
In before Vulcan changes their name - again
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:55:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Fucking nuts. I've never heard of Vulcan or the previous names. Obviously a company to stay away from. Hope for a speedy recovery.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:55:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who the hell wears sandals while shooting?

I was gonna post this.

I do.  
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:57:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hope the guy skill be alright and that Vulcan will take care of the since it was factory ammo.

Good luck...

If they took responsibility for all the crap they sell that fails, they would be so deep in debt, they would be upside down in a rice paddy...

I know this and was tying to be positive.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:58:05 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Why is it that when a Glock asplodes, everyone immediately suspects handloads?

Not everyone does.

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:58:06 PM EDT
[#35]
I hope the shooter is okay. Out of a brand new weapon I would never expect that. Have never heard of Vulcan before this and never intend to spend a dollar there. Going to check headspace on all guns immediately.

This is scary stuff. Only guns I have ever heard of blowing up are trap guns with handloads that squib or double charge
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:59:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The county was being smart.  There are a lot of hungry lawyers out there.
County`s have deep taxpayer funded pockets.  You dont have to be in the wrong to lose a lawsuit.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:02:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Nonetheless... I am curious of the outpouring of hatred toward a company that I daresay nary a poster before me has ever owned a product bearing their logo

Here's a good reason:

link
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:04:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Nonetheless... I am curious of the outpouring of hatred toward a company that I daresay nary a poster before me has ever owned a product bearing their logo.  (Certainly not suggesting that you do, unless you are a least a certified tinkerer and aren't afraid of getting burned.)

And you're not even new here?

It takes 30 seconds to find out everything you need to know about Vulcan/Hesse/Blackthorne.  They're all the same company and they peddle cheap, dangerous crap to unsuspecting shooters looking for a good deal.

As soon as their rep gets too bad, they'll change their name and keep on trucking.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:04:35 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nonetheless... I am curious of the outpouring of hatred toward a company that I daresay nary a poster before me has ever owned a product bearing their logo

Here's a good reason:

link
uh wat, you linked to this thread.

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:04:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

RO's should have an unnecessary certification in an irrelavent area to provide safe gun handling supervision for an extrordinarily safe sport because of a defective product? That makes sense in your corner of Pluto? It would make more sense for little league umpires to have ACLS certs.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:05:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I don't think I've ever been to a range with a automated external defibrillator much less a cardiac monitor (some AEDs can be used as a crude cardiac monitor), IV set ups or cardiac medications.  If your ranges have those things, kudos to them that is awesome.  Trauma experience or training and a comprehensive trauma  may be more beneficial though. YMMV.

Hope the guy is alright and makes a full recovery, neck wounds are no joke.  Incidents like this are the reason I carry a trauma kit  with me in vehicle at all times and maintain my Paramedic license. Sometimes bad things happen.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:05:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Wow they claim "The Best-Built Firearms in the World!"
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:06:01 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Who the hell wears sandals while shooting?

I do.

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:06:10 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, how about its impossible to go above your certification with a first aid kit and a BVM!!!

Moving a fall victim instead of maintaining c-spine till the big boys show up? Tourniquet? It's been awhile since I've held any certs but there were plenty of horror stories of first responders trying to be paramedics. My personal favorite was a responder trying to remove the boot of someone that just got their foot crushed by a forklift. I still wonder what the fuck he would have done once he got the boot off and saw the guys foot.

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:06:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Damn. That's some scary shit. Hope they guy is okay
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:07:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's a good reason:

link
uh wat, you linked to this thread.

That was the joke.
But seriously, don't buy Vulcan/Hesse/Blackthorne...
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:09:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well lets hope I'm not at the same range as you and I'm seriously injured and your the only one there as then I am sure I will die while waiting for an ambulance. This  is pure chicken shit excuse if your state has Good Samaritan laws that prevent being sued from a person you gave first aid etc in good faith and not intentionally trying to further injure them.  
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:11:03 PM EDT
[#48]
In before the name change.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:13:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
So I went out today with a vendor to shoot my rifle for the last time (sadly had to part it out).

All things going great and we hear a EXTREMELY LOUD BOOM.   Screaming ensues. "CEASE FIRE!!! CEASE FIRE!!! CALL 911!!! CALL 911!!" and all the RO's are running to this one guy..

Well come to find out this was the FIRST SHOT FIRED from a Brand new Vulcan 50cal using factory ammo.  The bolt lugs disintigrated, the charging handle sheared from the bolt, and the bolt exploded backwards and lodged into the guys neck area.  They found the charging handle about 30 feet behind him in the grass while the paramedics were tending to him.  Ambulance arrived quickly, and im no doctor, but it looked like the guy was going to be alright based on the fact they didn't seem to be too worried while tending to him.

Look at the RIGHT HAND PURPLE GLOVE
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa220/generesweber/boltinneck_zps46ab12b9.png
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa220/generesweber/WP_20130601_005_zps5ddc53de.jpg

What range?
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:13:40 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And you're not even new here?

It takes 30 seconds to find out everything you need to know about Vulcan/Hesse/Blackthorne.  They're all the same company and they peddle cheap, dangerous crap to unsuspecting shooters looking for a good deal.

As soon as their rep gets too bad, they'll change their name and keep on trucking.

What do you personally know about this company and their products?  

Seriously?

I know because I bought one of their Hesse receivers back in 1998.  It needed tuning as there was proud metal and the holes weren't exactly right.  I fixed them.

I bought an upper half on a dare.  I replaced the fucked up rear sight, cleaned up some sprue on the BFA hole, and turned the dust cover spring around as it was backwards/upside down.  

I bought a stripped upper receiver later, and the only thing I needed to to was turn that spring around again on the dust cover, and clean up the out of spec metal parts (fitting, for anyone who doesn't know).  

YUp... shitty QC and Shitty people to deal with.  

If you know the road that you are taking though... sometimes that short cut works.  
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top