Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/11/2023 2:14:17 PM EDT
We have about 100 people where I work.  There are at least 5 who have said they're retiring "in 6 months" for years.  Work is all they have. No wife, no kids, nothing.

How the hell do people hit this point?
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 2:16:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Most people are smart enough to realize that if they don't have a plan, sitting in a rocking chair waiting to die is not a good one.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 2:19:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Most people are smart enough to realize that if they don't have a plan, sitting in a rocking chair waiting to die is not a good one.
View Quote

If those people sat at home during covid at all, they really recognize it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 2:24:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah....

The one guy says at least if he dies at work someone will find him.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 2:25:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
We have about 100 people where I work.  There are at least 5 who have said they're retiring "in 6 months" for years.  Work is all they have. No wife, no kids, nothing.

View Quote

I lost my family at 20. I'm 55 now shit happens and time passes.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 2:26:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I've decided it's really none of my business what other people choose to live for.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 2:26:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah. That would fucking suck. I can’t wait till I retire. Then again I have a woman who I’m going to share that with. We love traveling.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 2:26:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Lots of them like this.  Once they finally retire, they are dead in six months.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 2:26:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I think those "work till I die" types must be a little dull and or simple.  I would NEVER run out of things to do in retirement.  Too many hobbies.  Too many toys.  Too many places to go.  Problem is, I'll probably be stuck working till death anyway the way things are going.

ETA I HATE work.  Feels like being in jail.  Yes, I'm speaking from experience.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 2:28:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a wife and a kid - and I love them both - but there are many times when I wish I was one of those life-long bachelors who get to do whatever they want and come home to a clean house that stays clean.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 2:28:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Be nice to those folks.
They might pass you up when they show up on their off day and “have to get it on”
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 2:30:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yeah....

View Quote
WTF, who cares? You are dead dude, you don't have to worry about such things.

I'd be happy to never leave my property again, I'd never run out of shit to keep me entertained and busy. A fucking job is sure as hell the last damn thing I need to fulfill my life.

It's a sad, sorry individual who lives for or needs their job outside of paying for shit.

Link Posted: 2/11/2023 2:33:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Be nice to those folks.
They might pass you up when they show up on their off day and “have to get it on”
View Quote

I'm nice to everyone I work with regardless of how insane I think they are.

Honestly I feel bad for those people. I feel like I need to introduce them to a hobby or something.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 2:34:25 PM EDT
[#13]
This does not apply to people who mentally NEED to be productive.  That's not the type I'm talking about.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 2:36:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 2:38:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm divorced and retired.  I quit working a couple of years ago as I am doing OK financially.  My 90 year old mom who still swims three days a week says you cannot stop moving.  If you do, you are dead.  

I travel a little, play golf, go to the gym 5-6 days per week, go to happy hour with friends and stay busy. I may even start going to the gun range again soon.  Stay out of the recliner and keep active guys.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 2:39:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've decided it's really none of my business what other people choose to live for.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/11/2023 2:45:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Two sayings I saw somewhere and saved

You are totally replaceable at work. You're not replaceable at home. Home is your real life. Keep that perspective. Always.

You are killing yourself for a job that would replace you within a week if you dropped dead. Take Care Of Yourself!

People who are consumed with their job should have spent more time thinking about what they are working for. I've had work till I die coworkers, for the most part they were well off, they just never developed a life outside of work. The irony is they hated their job, most of us did, it was in a healthcare field and changed from what it was in the beginning to something stressful and life sucking.

Link Posted: 2/11/2023 2:45:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Life has a way of throwing curve balls. Some people for reasons unknown to us have lost financially or their family and their at that point where they need work for human interaction. No kids, lost a spouse, kids live far away and they never see them, there are 100’s of reasons.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 2:46:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

some people love to work.

Why is Warren Buffet still working?  He doesn't need to make anymore money
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 2:46:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm divorced and retired.  I quit working a couple of years ago as I am doing OK financially.  My 90 year old mom who still swims three days a week says you cannot stop moving.  If you do, you are dead.  

I travel a little, play golf, go to the gym 5-6 days per week, go to happy hour with friends and stay busy. I may even start going to the gun range again soon.  Stay out of the recliner and keep active guys.
View Quote

Work isn't the only way to stay active. On the contrary, some jobs are stressful and make a person too tired to be active or take care of themselves.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 2:47:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Kids leave.  Wives are neither immortal nor immutable.  

I used to be confused by it too, but,
The older I get, the more I understand it.   Co-workers are people that get paid to hang out with you.  

In addition, human beings must have a Purpose.   A life without purpose is a life without meaning.   We can endure almost any hardship, so long as there is a purpose.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 2:53:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yeah....

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah....

My thoughts.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 2:55:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have a wife and a kid - and I love them both - but there are many times when I wish I was one of those life-long bachelors who get to do whatever they want and come home to a clean house that stays clean.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 2:57:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Some people don't have anything else. Usually those people are miserably fucking cunts that have alienated themselves from their whole family. Or they were just socially inept (on the spectrum?) and never had a family to begin with.

Idle hands are the devils playground.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 3:00:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Family isn't the only thing bigger than oneself to live for. All sorts of charity work brings meaning to life.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 3:03:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I knew two people like that. Cancer killed one within 6 months and my brother in-law in less than a year.

The guy that created the conditions for my hiring almost 36 years ago retired two weeks ago and yeah, I'm already worrying about him.

He fell out of a tree stand 20+ years ago, doesn't walk so good, and isn't in the best health. I hope he can stay active.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 3:04:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 3:13:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 3:14:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

I do.  My wife, my kids, and my home.  The truly important things.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 3:18:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I do.  My wife, my kids, and my home.  The truly important things.
View Quote

In Altman's case, it's so we can have the wonder that is ChatGPT
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 3:29:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

VERY true. Many years ago my dad showed me the Hughes News. "So-and-so passed away after retiring 6 months ago." A half dozen such notices per issue.

Seems that if you make it to 18 months you are good for the long haul. But those who have nothing just don't make it. Family, travel, even golf or swimming or camping/hunting will do it.

But these guys are the ones who never took vacation, or cashed out their time off. Retire- then die.

I retired in February 2018, so I'm good for the long haul.

I guess.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 8:46:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

VERY true. Many years ago my dad showed me the Hughes News. "So-and-so passed away after retiring 6 months ago." A half dozen such notices per issue.

Seems that if you make it to 18 months you are good for the long haul. But those who have nothing just don't make it. Family, travel, even golf or swimming or camping/hunting will do it.

But these guys are the ones who never took vacation, or cashed out their time off. Retire- then die.

I guess.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess.

You will be fine.  

I think it's more about being able to put it behind you and move on with your life.

The guys that die like this - they BECAME the job.

They let it utterly overcome their entire self, and define who they are.

That's why they die.  I can think of at least eight that I saw go like this.

Link Posted: 2/11/2023 8:48:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

That IS what retirement is for most people.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 8:51:44 PM EDT
[#34]
My paternal grand parents never had any children, always were DINKs, they just kept working nothing else to do really. Towards the end they scaled it back to part time consulting.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 8:55:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
My paternal grand parents never had any children, always were DINKs, they just kept working nothing else to do really. Towards the end they scaled it back to part time consulting.
View Quote

How are they your grandparents then? Adopted your pop?
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 8:56:22 PM EDT
[#36]
We could all be a little more compassionate in our daily lives. You never know what someone else is going through or how close to Falling Down they really are. I try not to question others choices.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:00:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Even people with families often find their life lacks purpose without a career. Particularly those who had careers that identified who they were as people. I find this more common in men.

You meet a stranger on a plane and ask about them. Women might say they are a mother, or artist. Men will usually lead off with their job title
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:02:04 PM EDT
[#38]
I'll be working until I die. Child support got me and I only make around 50k a year driving trucks to begin with.  I try not to think about it though. I live in the present and I'm generally in good spirits.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:05:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Some people live for work.

My dad is like that in a way. Retired from first career and now has a new one. He can’t stand sitting around the house.

Also many people fear once they stop working they will just sit at home and wait to die.

I guess I can see some of those traits in me. I am not currently married, although in a long term relationship. If for some reason that didn’t work out, I would end up with no wife and no kids and not a lot to do besides work.

Although I’d probably retire, sell everything and slow travel around the world.

Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:10:08 PM EDT
[#40]
I enjoy my job and love the traveling. Going to suck for the hotel housekeeper that finds my dead ass someday.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:11:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Some people like routine.  Some people like what they do well enough.  When those things line up...well there you go.

I've got a guy who works for me who was planning on retiring a couple years ago.  He's got a million bucks in his 401k which at his pay grade is absolutely a retirement worthy stash when combined with SS.  

I put him in a new position two years ago which I knew he'd be good at and is important to the company.  He's liking it so much that I'm not sure I'll be able to get rid of him at this point which is fine by me.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:12:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Most men live lives of quiet desperation…
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:13:56 PM EDT
[#43]
I worked with a more than a few people that died within a year of them retiring. Totally sucks to work your whole life and not be able to enjoy retirement.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:15:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Kids leave.  Wives are neither immortal nor immutable.  

I used to be confused by it too, but,
The older I get, the more I understand it.   Co-workers are people that get paid to hang out with you.  

In addition, human beings must have a Purpose.   A life without purpose is a life without meaning.   We can endure almost any hardship, so long as there is a purpose.
View Quote

This. Get out there and live your life. Otherwise, you're merely existing, and that would be worse than death.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:16:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am confused here.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:16:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was trying to figure that out too.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:19:40 PM EDT
[#47]
For some types of people I imagine the clearly defined roles and relationships that come from work are far more comfortable than the far messier ones to be found outside of work.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:30:12 PM EDT
[#48]
I know someone in that position now.  No family nearby, never married or had kids. Work is where she socializes and chats it up with everyone about their lives.  She is all set to retire financially but is putting it off.  If she leaves I can see her getting some low responsibility job somewhere she likes so she can stay busy.  She is in her 60s but in great shape.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:40:20 PM EDT
[#49]
I dread the day I'm not able to work full time because I don't know what I'll do. I have hobbies but they are expensive and I can't do them everyday. I'd be fine during bow season but the rest of the year I'd be climbing the walls after a few days off, right now I get crabby after a long weekend lol.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:43:43 PM EDT
[#50]
I live for work.

I have no kids and no plans for kids. My wife and I get home at the same time every day.

I go in on my days off, cuz if I don’t I’d just spend the day drinking and playing video games. I go in early and leave late. I pick up every shift I can and am the hardest working, most flexible, most tireless worker they have.

Every gun I sell is one more potentially pointed at my enemies. This is my revenge for what was done to me and my family.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top