BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 160
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:15:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You can probably refine that somewhat, but it is always interesting to me how some members here will settle on 3-4 rather than 1 or even 2. I guess I don't understand how that is the level that is high enough for them to consider the correct version of "legal" but not low enough that it is superseded by those above that they are at odds with.
View Quote

You see, they settle on 3 and 4 because that’s how the law is enforced. Someone going with 1 or 2 is probably morally and legally correct, but that doesn’t prevent someone from being plowed in the ass by the FAFT. Even if someone has the money to defend themselves, there is no guarantee they won’t go to prison for the rest of their life.

See Hoover case. FAFT bent that man over and each agent took turns. I think the judge also took a turn or two.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:16:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Braces weren’t illegal to ‘skirt’ the NFA anymore than driving 54.9 or 55.1 mph when cop radar detectors only resolve to 1 mph ‘skirts’ a 55 mph speed limit.

The ATF even said braces weren’t stocks and allowed them to be sold for a decade before the scale of the market, a few high visibility murders unrelated to the functionality or even legal aspect of a brace, and a change in political administration made them arbitrarily decide a registration drive makes it all better.  To save face. To show those uppity youbube influencers.

A screw driver can function as a scraper, chisel, pry bar, wedge, shank, burglars tool, and as a screw driver. It’s obvious what it was design-optimized for (um, screws).  

Nobody designs stocks for rifles out of bifurcated, floppy, strap festooned, or with thin blade profiles. Just because a brace functions as a shitty stock doesn’t make it a stock (required for rifle under law). Just because criminals misuse a screwdriver as a shank doesn’t make it a knife.  Loophole is just a short phrase for ‘characteristic of the law’. The law needs to be changed to deal with problems, not twisted. So far the proof that braced pistols are a problem is lacking. The registration drive addresses nothing other than bureaucratic and fanboy egos.  It does perpetuate the bureaucracy.  You seem to like that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your analogy is flawed as donations being tax deductible is an incentive.

I don’t care what anyone else does.

Braces weren’t illegal to ‘skirt’ the NFA anymore than driving 54.9 or 55.1 mph when cop radar detectors only resolve to 1 mph ‘skirts’ a 55 mph speed limit.

The ATF even said braces weren’t stocks and allowed them to be sold for a decade before the scale of the market, a few high visibility murders unrelated to the functionality or even legal aspect of a brace, and a change in political administration made them arbitrarily decide a registration drive makes it all better.  To save face. To show those uppity youbube influencers.

A screw driver can function as a scraper, chisel, pry bar, wedge, shank, burglars tool, and as a screw driver. It’s obvious what it was design-optimized for (um, screws).  

Nobody designs stocks for rifles out of bifurcated, floppy, strap festooned, or with thin blade profiles. Just because a brace functions as a shitty stock doesn’t make it a stock (required for rifle under law). Just because criminals misuse a screwdriver as a shank doesn’t make it a knife.  Loophole is just a short phrase for ‘characteristic of the law’. The law needs to be changed to deal with problems, not twisted. So far the proof that braced pistols are a problem is lacking. The registration drive addresses nothing other than bureaucratic and fanboy egos.  It does perpetuate the bureaucracy.  You seem to like that.

Believe and do what you want....I truly don't care how you live your life.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:26:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If the Republicans were really concerned with the ATF putting this policy in place with out going thru congress, they could and a line in the debt ceiling bill legalizing Arm braces removing SBRs from the NFA
View Quote

FIFY

A clause legalizing arm braces would be nothing more than a "don't do that" to the ATF, and the ATF has already proven they ignore such things if they think they can get away with it.  Removing SBRs from the NFA would be taking one of their toys away as punishment for thinking they could get away with making their own rules, and that punishment might make them hesitate before doing it again in the future.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:33:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My only braced pistol now has a stock and a pined and welded 6 inch xm177 KAK muzzle device making it a rifle. The one pistol I still have never had a brace just a tube. Gonna wait and see what happens in court.
View Quote

We could be waiting a very, very long time for the courts to do anything. But since I registered mine, I am fairly certain an injunction is going to happen. FFS.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 2:38:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your analogy is flawed as donations being tax deductible is an incentive.

I don’t care what anyone else does.

I care how others live their lives because I participate in the market. As an SBR guy I benefitted from the growth of pistols that catered to that market. Made so many things abundant, cheaper, and easier. I remember when you couldn’t buy a short AR upper without showing the uptight sellers a Form-4.  

This current flip-flop on braced pistols is intended to restrain trade. Fear and rationalization of arbitrary rules wins the battle of mind and spirit preemptively.

The approved inventor of the brace concept admitted he’d have never invented the prototype if he knew anything about the NFA.  Once informed he got ostensible permission. The entire firearm industry benefitted from the innovation of touching the line rather than shying from it. Now the control freaks want to move the line.

Pistol braced guns are the gas-stoves of the gun appliance market. Somebody else knows what’s better for you.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 10:49:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I love how congress grills ATF, (said sarcastically)

But nothing changes….they stick to the BS story.

Thomas Massie Mercilessly Grills ATF Director About New Stabilizing Brace Rule
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 7:53:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

BINGO

ETA: This one makes me laugh everytime I see it.

I'm just taking the opportunity to get a free stamp on items I was going to SBR anyways.
View Quote

This confuses me a bit, and brings up a couple of questions...

Question #1
If I take advantage of this free thingie the ATF is doing now, after I am approved, can I then remove the brace from my pistol and put on a rifle stock? In other words, with this free registration, has my braced-pistol magically become an SBR, so I can now treat it as such?

Question #2
Is there a video, forum thread, website, etc. summarizing this stuff so I don't have to weed through 136 pages of irrelevant info and infighting and other superfluous stuff? I'd really like to have all the info in one place so I can make an informed decision.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 8:10:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Question #1
If I take advantage of this free thingie the ATF is doing now, after I am approved, can I then remove the brace from my pistol and put on a rifle stock? In other words, with this free registration, has my braced-pistol magically become an SBR, so I can now treat it as such?

Question #2
Is there a video, forum thread, website, etc. summarizing this stuff so I don't have to weed through 136 pages of irrelevant info and infighting and other superfluous stuff? I'd really like to have all the info in one place so I can make an informed decision.
View Quote

Atf is treating them like if they were always sbr’s.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 8:21:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Question #1

Question #2
View Quote

q1 - yes

It's been answered 87 times which leads to

q2 - no
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 8:48:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Question #1

Question #2
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BINGO

ETA: This one makes me laugh everytime I see it.

I'm just taking the opportunity to get a free stamp on items I was going to SBR anyways.

Question #1

Question #2

For #2...

Read the words in the rule. It's only a few hours of reading. I've not seen a succinct and accurate summary or video that covers all I would want/need to know. Most of the videos and summaries are missing key elements, or just plain wrong about things. Probably because the rule contradicts itself several times, and at it's root, it purely illogical and illegal.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 9:04:04 PM EDT
[#11]
so i'm getting close to my Zero hour (vacation, I won't be able to file while gone) about registering the guns I bought configured as pistols. I really thought we'd see an injunction by now. Anyone else in this situation?
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 9:05:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
so i'm getting close to my Zero hour (vacation, I won't be able to file while gone) about registering the guns I bought configured as pistols. I really thought we'd see an injunction by now. Anyone else in this situation?
View Quote
An injunction before the cutoff date has always been unlikely.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 9:17:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
An injunction before the cutoff date has always been unlikely.
View Quote

shame on me for believing the FPC hype train
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 9:31:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

AFT director said just take the brace piece off and set it aside, all legal.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 9:54:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 11:51:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I did not take into account states with pistol registries.

I forget that's a thing in some places.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would you like the option to remove your stock from your registered SBR, and legally travel with it as a pistol? If so, you HAVE to pay $200.

If you take the free option, you acknowledge the gun you built/bought was always a rifle, and this goes back to FIRST a rifle, ALWAYS a rifle. In order to take it out of the state at all, proper travel paperwork has to be filed.

Both are valid approved form 1's, but the free option is more restrictive. Legally speaking.

Michigan has registration. The 3 ar pistols I have built are registered as pistols. I didn't put a brace on any of them until years later.

I did not take into account states with pistol registries.

I forget that's a thing in some places.

So far California has not passed legislation or regulations to treat braces as stocks, so for State law purposes they are still pistols as long as you don't shoulder them (that rule doesn't apply to braced AOWs with stamps, though). Shouldn't affect the registry, although not all pistols are or have to be registered to be legally possessed.

ATF won't issue Form 1s for braced pistols there despite that, so debates on the wisdom of doing it in that case are moot.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 11:53:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Here's a question to all. Is it morally wrong NOT to register? I am being sincere.
View Quote

Why would it be immoral? If the law is wrong on the basis of moral and philosophical principle, disobedience cannot really be immoral. Disobedience of a law that itself iss unlawful is even cleaner in this respect.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 2:22:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 2:35:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Wouldn't it be morally wrong for me not to turn over the Jews hiding in my attic to the Gestapo?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's a question to all. Is it morally wrong NOT to register? I am being sincere.

Wouldn't it be morally wrong for me not to turn over the Jews hiding in my attic to the Gestapo?

Ok I didn’t play it that far. I’ve been the guy saying don’t do it from the get go but had a momentary fear I was wrong morally. I don’t care about legally.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 2:36:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok I didn’t play it that far. I’ve been the guy saying don’t do it from the get go but had a momentary fear I was wrong morally. I don’t care about legally.

From a moral standpoint alone I wouldn't worry about it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 2:46:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Maybe a husband/father would be morally wrong to put himself at unnecessary risk of felony prosecution?
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 2:47:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Maybe a husband/father would be morally wrong to put himself at unnecessary risk of felony prosecution?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's an argument for slaves. Any rule would fit that criteria.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 3:11:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

You have to decide yourself whether or not you are a free man or a free stamp man. The courts will likely eventually block the rule, but as you know, it will be too late.

On one hand, you will be (for the time being) allowed to keep your setup as is. I assume you know the ramifications - you're on the registry, need permission slip to travel, some states have more restrictions on rifles, etc.

On the other hand, you can rest fairly easily for now, knowing that you are relatively safe should the aft come raid your home. However, once this suit settles down and pistol braces are found to be included in the second amendment, are in common use, etc- you will have voluntarily already registered. Sure, you can likely have it "removed", but that doesn't mean they'll leave you alone about it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 3:37:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Everyone uses that excuse. as far as I know, people can still pay the 200 tax.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 3:41:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Been a while...

Link Posted: 5/17/2023 3:58:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Free SBR person here.

Filed my first e-file F1 ever 4/25 with my  brand spanking new ATF login.  Amnesty registered 9.  Got my first conditional approval for one of them back today.  So, like 23 days for the first one.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 4:58:35 PM EDT
[#27]

You're right, it has been a while.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 5:37:16 PM EDT
[#28]
It’s a good thing they would never look at a 4473 or any of the 5 stamps I’ve done. That’s all super secret.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 7:21:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Everyone uses that excuse. as far as I know, people can still pay the 200 tax.
View Quote

Or just remove the brace
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 7:28:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Or just remove the brace
View Quote

But I was going to sbr it anyways.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 7:31:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

But I was going to sbr it anyways.
View Quote

But your children!
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 7:57:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, only because I didn't expect a timely injunction. I am an admitted pessimist.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 11:19:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 11:24:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Free SBR person here.

Filed my first e-file F1 ever 4/25 with my  brand spanking new ATF login.  Amnesty registered 9.  Got my first conditional approval for one of them back today.  So, like 23 days for the first one.
View Quote

“Amnesty?”  Where was that stated?  It wasn’t and the fact that it wasn’t was not an oversight.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 11:30:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 11:31:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Maybe a husband/father would be morally wrong to risk unnecessarily dying by enlisting in WWII to fight Germans and Japanese that presented no immediate threat to his family in Iowa?
View Quote

The millions killed by Communists in China and the USSR after the allies handed them Eastern Europe and China after WW2 would probably agree.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 11:34:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I mean, I agree with you in part - i have a bunch of NFA stuff, and it is all properly registered. That said, if I possessed one, I'd have a hard to bringing myself to register a braced pistol when ATF just decided to change the rules. Kind of like I refused to let them have my grenade when they unilaterally changed the rules.
View Quote

Its definitely bs. I find it funny that people on this forum and many others are putting faith in them after they decided that braced pistols were sbr’s after all and just register it and it’ll be fine.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 6:54:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

No, only because I didn't expect a timely injunction. I am an admitted pessimist.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FPC apparently just filed for an emergency one.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 7:21:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Do you actually believe that 99.9% of the braces sold weren’t solely purchased in order to skirt the NFA?

They were designed for the disabled, however, that’s not why they became popular and you know that just as well as I do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nothing wrong with hoping they lose in court, while also taking action to save some money in the meantime.  
Will you still feel that way after Brandon says something along the lines of: "The majority of gun owners WANT registration; I mean, just look at the millions of gun owners that have already voluntarily registered their assault weapons with the AFT in just the last few months!"

When you're a useful tool for Joe and Kamala, what then?

Do you actually believe that 99.9% of the braces sold weren’t solely purchased in order to skirt the NFA?

They were designed for the disabled, however, that’s not why they became popular and you know that just as well as I do.

Do you actually believe that the NFA “tax” isn’t a way to skirt Congress’ lack of authority to restrict the sale of firearms and require their registration?  What’s good for the goose is good for the gander.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 7:27:54 AM EDT
[#40]
The funny part is what all you register bros gonna do when they tell you to register your AR15?

Or your semiauto whatever?

Is the rational gonna be "they already have my fingerprints and I've registered my brace, what does it matter now?".
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 7:41:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The funny part is what all you register bros gonna do when they tell you to register your AR15?

Is the rational gonna be "they already have my fingerprints and I've registered my brace, what does it matter now?".
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/18/2023 8:06:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 8:21:30 AM EDT
[#43]
All these people shitting on registering, while I'm over here playing with my sbr glock 19 with a legal stock on it that I didn't have to pay another $200 for.

Laws and rulings change over time, frequently for the worse, take advantage where you can, learn to live with the rest.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 8:24:12 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Doesn't matter. Law says "designed and intended". Doesn't say "purchased solely to skirt the nfa".
View Quote

Basically every new gun restriction is a game where manufacturers push the limits and look for loopholes.  It has to be this way because gun owners simply don't want these restrictions.  People who don't want or care about guns don't care if they are restricted, and frankly shouldn't have a say in the laws.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 8:29:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/18/2023 8:30:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
All these people shitting on registering, while I'm over here playing with my sbr glock 19 with a legal stock on it that I didn't have to pay another $200 for.

Laws and rulings change over time, frequently for the worse, take advantage where you can, learn to live with the rest.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 8:31:51 AM EDT
[#47]
One of the biggest reasons I didn't register my three and just removed the braces, doing the registration is admitting to the BATF that you had what they considered to be unregistered SBRs. I know they have done NFA amnestys before, but I don't trust them to not prosecute people down the road
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 8:51:30 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 9:06:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Congrats….you’ve helped the ATF learn they can get gun owners to register their guns as long as they offer a little free candy in exchange.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 9:07:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

My personal cutoff for waiting on injunction was in April. I decided to form 1 a few, because I already have NFA items, and for a few of my configurations, that was the best option.

On a related note, CMMG banshee is stupid and I pretty much regret buying it at this point.
Page / 160
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top