Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 17
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 11:51:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

In the wake of 2 new 737s crashing, rather than recommitting to engineering excellence, they release this statement:

Boeing aims to increase Black employees by 20%, CEO says in memo
View Quote

That article is from 2020.

It doesn't say they were going to make 20% of the company black, but rather increase their current numbers by 20%. For all we know the company is 3% currently. It also did not say they'd be engineers.

It was a political point scoring memo in 2020 during the Summer of Love when those types of points were desirable to score through noncommital memos.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 11:59:37 AM EDT
[#2]
This has gotten ugly for me. My flight home has been cancelled. I received an email saying so sorry we will get back with you. There's a 25 wait for chat and a two hour hold time by phone. I'm wondering if it would be prudent to go to the ticket counter. Looks like I'm missing the last day of my vacation.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 12:06:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
This has gotten ugly for me. My flight home has been cancelled. I received an email saying so sorry we will get back with you. There's a 25 wait for chat and a two hour hold time by phone. I'm wondering if it would be prudent to go to the ticket counter. Looks like I'm missing the last day of my vacation.
View Quote

Ticket counter may be the worst.  Start the chat and phone call now.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 12:07:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

The wages of wokeness and everybody gets a trophy combined with MBAs focused on stock price instead of output quality. On the bright side at least you didn't get sucked out of a hole in an airplane.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 12:11:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Hell week does not exist in engineering schools, and how would a new student be eliminated after a week of classes that are barely spinning up for the semester.  Besides that, thousands that barely get by receive degrees.  I had a young black female recent hire that was so sorry that I checked to find out if she came from an ABET accredited school.  She had an ME from Tuskegee.  Part of the issue was that she hadn't worked for a lead that could train her, she had been assigned to a glamor spot (an initiative designed to place new hires in jobs that were not where the boring day to day work occurred so they would stay longer than a year or two) working for a manufacturing engineer that was equally clueless and best at assembling PowerPoint charts in any case - saleswoman, not engineer.

Then you would be surprised by the review process.  There is no assessment of airworthiness between drawing sign off and assembly or installation unless an assembly problem crops up that can't be ignored.  On top of that, there are plenty of malicious actors in the shop that will fabricate bad parts strictly according to planning with errors and the parts in front of them to make engineering and planning look bad.

The commercial side has slightly more thorough reviews, but don't count on them to dig deep enough into an analysis to uncover the "analysis looking analysis" that doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

A real problem in Seattle are a few structural practices that are "we always do it this way", and they don't know the reason.  On 747-8 I asked someone if a hinky detail had been tested, the answer was "0n the B-52".  Well, that was a long time ago, the wing sweep was different, and this part crossed a line of incredulity that warranted a closer look.

I also challenged a repeated detail subject to nuisance fatigue cracks, easily fixed at no more cost or weight.  But as usual, it's easy for the designer to draw quickly.  The airworthiness directives and and old design guide full of "do this, don't do that" examples for -200 airplanes backs me up.

Folks should abandon the false notion that Boeing commercial was a once great engineering company.  It was never better than a grade C.
View Quote

So if it WAS a grade C, how much worse is it now with the DEI edicts they seem to be following? Things appear to be getting worse.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 12:11:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The wages of wokeness and everybody gets a trophy combined with MBAs focused on stock price instead of output quality. On the bright side at least you didn't get sucked out of a hole in an airplane.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly my thoughts as I was posting this. The flight to Orlando couldn't have been better. Flight Attendants were so nice, no turbulence, the seats were uncomfortable af but I expected that for a $200 ticket
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 12:23:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Idk usually those are weeded out in hell week. I agree with the above statement that they should be focused on the best engineers possible. If they are committed to hiring anyone then they have a duty to train them as well. The buck doesn't stop on the engineers desk. A lot of eyes had to have seen the designs before it was on the assembly line.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are you implying that you can't have excellent engineers who are also black?

Statistically speaking they are rare as hen's teeth. I knew one that was brilliant but sadly individual achievement means nothing in the world of population statistics. Just going off of numbers it's implied they are going to lower standards to reach their hiring goal.
Hmmm weird-statistics is a weird science. We use statistics in psychology and statistically speaking there's no reason blacks can't make excellent engineers. If I had to guess trauma could factor in. I really don't know what else would explain it.
I know the reason.  Underlying talent compounded by sorry education and unwarranted trophy awards.

Idk usually those are weeded out in hell week. I agree with the above statement that they should be focused on the best engineers possible. If they are committed to hiring anyone then they have a duty to train them as well. The buck doesn't stop on the engineers desk. A lot of eyes had to have seen the designs before it was on the assembly line.

What, exactly, is hell week?
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 12:27:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Question about the stop fittings.  How do these things work?
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 12:27:40 PM EDT
[#9]
double post
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 12:30:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Statistically speaking they are rare as hen's teeth. I knew one that was brilliant but sadly individual achievement means nothing in the world of population statistics. Just going off of numbers it's implied they are going to lower standards to reach their hiring goal.
Hmmm weird-statistics is a weird science. We use statistics in psychology and statistically speaking there's no reason blacks can't make excellent engineers. If I had to guess trauma could factor in. I really don't know what else would explain it.
I know the reason.  Underlying talent compounded by sorry education and unwarranted trophy awards.

Link Posted: 1/7/2024 12:32:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 12:39:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

VC-25 was in work when Trump was elected.  He negotiated a lower cost, Boeing signed on, and hasn't delivered either airplane.

Both were existing airplanes, so the delay is not due to elves with hacksaws, files, and chisels making the parts for the airplanes.  Or supply chain excuses for frames, skins, landing gear and the rest.

There is an excuse that security slows the work, but that is a weak excuse that sounds great to the outside world
View Quote

I have a friend who is intimately close to the new VC-25s on the USAF side, and by his telling there are _a lot_ of issues with the build quality on those airframes that are causing numerous ripple effects with their outfitting for duty.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 12:53:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

@Chokey

I wonder if they have primary radar return data on the door itself in free fall.
View Quote

ATC surveillance radar does not have the resolution nor update speed to track a falling door.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 1:10:20 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

AeroE said: "The photo in an earlier post shows thick lugs on both sides of the joints.  We can't see the details of the backup for the lugs in the door beams or the airframe side.  Or the sill details to understand how the bending loads in the door are transferred to the airframe."

That's a pretty stout door.

With every single one of the airframe attachment points appearing intact, what are the odds that 1) someone used substitute hardware of a much lower grade, or 2) was using an out-of-calibration or improper gun to run the fasteners down and badly overtorqued them? Held through the first hundred pressure cycles, but stretching and weakening until one failed and the others cascaded.

We weren't allowed to use guns in the Air Force, but I saw plenty of failures from both of those causes. An open bench stock and a torque wrench checked out "in case of QA" was an ongoing problem.

I guess out of spec bolts from the manufacturer would be a probability as well, but if that were the case why haven't "older" models failed?
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 1:12:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

With every single one of the airframe attachment points appearing intact, what are the odds that 1) someone used substitute hardware of a much lower grade, or 2) was using an out-of-calibration or improper gun to run the fasteners down and badly overtorqued them? Held through the first hundred pressure cycles, but stretching and weakening until one failed and the others cascaded.

I guess out of spec bolts from the manufacturer would be a probability as well, but if that were the case why haven't "older" models failed?
View Quote

How do we know all the attach points are intact at this point?
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 1:17:29 PM EDT
[#16]

That was Pilot Bob Schornstheimer's plane.

He and I were air traffic controllers at MCAS Kaneohe Bay before he was picked up as a pilot with Aloha Airlines sometime around 1977-78.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 1:19:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 1:30:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

We don't, that's why I phrased it "appearing intact". Spitballing before the investigation, and worth every penny

However, as most appear intact, and given the number of lugs and their spacing I'd bet that structure and installation is engineered under proper maintenance to survive a single failure, maybe even two or three depending on location (air load side and consecutive fasteners).

It was long ago, and I'm making these numbers up just to illustrate...but after that firefighting C-130 wing fold we started doing rainbow fitting inspections on the entire fleet. Those fitting have "teeth" that determine their structural integrity. After they found a couple of problems, an engineer got up in front of the wing commander and started explaining the probability of failure from a single tooth through consecutive teeth. One tooth was a 1 in 10,000,000 chance of catastrophic failure. Two consecutive teeth didn't double the risk...it went to 1 in 100,000. At three teeth when the odds of a crash hit 1 in 1,000 missions everybody in the room got really quiet. We inspected those damn fittings for a LONG time after that.

Less dramatic, there are TO standards for missing or stripped fasteners on simple aircraft panels. Leading edge fasteners are more critical than trailing edge, and there are definite limits for total and/or consecutive bolts. Aircraft still shed panels in flight...'cause you get airload up under a surface like that and all bets are off.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 1:32:54 PM EDT
[#19]
How would the door (presumably) fold in the middle?  That just shouldn't happen, no matter how you slice the apple.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 1:35:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Images taken by passengers show no damage to the frame around the neat rectangular hole. It appears that the plug, which is fastened to the airframe with just four bolts, came loose and fell away.

On Saturday, Alaska Airlines said that in the days before Friday's in-flight incident pilots had filed several reports of intermittent warning lights that indicated some loss of cabin pressure on the jet.

Jason Lai, Alaska's managing director of engineering, said these pressurization warnings were written up and "resolved per approved maintenance procedures."

As a result of those write-ups, the plane was then restricted from long-distance flying out over water, he said, but otherwise allowed to fly.

There is no immediate explanation as to why the plug blew out.

Photos and videos made by passengers inside the jet show clean metal brackets where the plug would be fastened, with no visible breaks, structural damage, deformations or tears in the metal.

In an interview Saturday, independent airline industry consultant Bob Mann said, "that makes me wonder if it was ever properly fastened."

If not, he said, repeated pressurizations and depressurizations each time the jet flew could have gradually loosened it.

Chris Brady, an experienced pilot who runs the "Boeing 737 Technical Site" website, on Saturday posted a video showing a photo of the door plug and describing how it is installed. Brady's technical assessments were cited in the U.S. House report into the two fatal MAX crashes.

His video, citing the 737 maintenance manual, states that the door plug is fastened with just four bolts to fittings inside the fuselage. The Seattle Times confirmed with an industry source that this is accurate.

"For this incident to have happened, something must have been amiss with at least one of those bolts, probably more," Brady states in the video.

The entire fuselage of the jet, including this plugged door, is assembled in Wichita, Kan., by Spirit AeroSystems and arrives by train at Boeing's Renton plant.

In Renton, Boeing mechanics and quality inspectors complete the cabin interior, adding the wiring, insulation and sidewalls that would cover the plug before adding the seats, galley, lavatories and other interior elements.

Investigators will hope to find the piece that fell somewhere south of Portland and will comb the manufacturing assembly and inspection records.

Mann said the lack of any deformation around the hole in the fuselage makes it look like the initial cause may be "a Spirit quality control issue."

However Boeing has ultimate responsibility for the aircraft. The plug should have been inspected in Renton before the sidewall was installed to cover it.

And Alaska Airlines will also face questions about how it handled the indications of depressurization the days before, allowing the plane to continue to fly.

News of the depressurization warnings was first reported late Friday on The Air Current website.

Lai, Alaska's managing director of engineering, said via email that "these types of aircraft pressurization system write ups are typical in large aircraft commercial aviation operations."

"In every case, the write up was fully evaluated and resolved per approved maintenance procedures and in full compliance with all applicable FAA regulations," he added.

Nevertheless, he said, "out of an abundance of caution," Alaska Airlines has an internal policy to restrict aircraft with multiple maintenance write ups on certain systems from flying long distances over water, even when the reported faults are resolved.

That was the case for this aircraft. It was restricted from flying to Hawaii but cleared to fly to California.

"This internal policy is not required by any FAA regulation but is an additional 'above and beyond' safety precaution," Lai said.

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/boeing-aerospace/boeing-737-max-9s-grounded-after-alaska-airlines-in-flight-blowout/
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 1:51:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Could this plane ever fly in service again?
View Quote

If it was Spirit airlines they would have taped a garbage bag over the opening and it back up in the air in an hour.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 2:15:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Several root causes there. The percentage of blacks in the population, the percentage that go to college, the percentage that are engineering majors, the percentage that graduate, and the percentage that are any good even if they do graduate.

Less than half of black college entrants complete their degree in 6 years. Then look at total degree numbers: 19% of blacks over 25 have a college degree (not engineering, any degree at all) compared to 33% of whites. So you have 12% of the population, of which only about 20% of which 25 or older has a degree. So that gives us less than 2.4% of the population is made up of blacks with a college degree. Let's pretend that a third of those are engineers ( which is way too high) and that only a quarter of those are great engineers instead of marginal or just ok. That's less than a few hundred thousand people for the entire country giving a huge margin of leeway. No way can Boeing hire that many great black engineers because they don't exist to hire in the first place.

Statistical data from: https://uncf.org/the-latest/the-numbers-dont-lie-hbcus-are-changing-the-college-landscape
View Quote

Excellent summary.  Kelly Johnson was confronted by something similar for the SR-71 program.  He was pointedly asked by a Department of Labor bureaucrat, "Why don't you have any Hispanic engineers"?  His answer was, "They don't exist!"
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 2:18:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Photo from page 1.  There is at least one from the outside that I have not looked at zoomed in.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/348/1000000527-3085271.jpg

A bolt in all of the lugs we can see. If every door side lug failed by tear out and departed, that is remarkable.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Photo from page 1.  There is at least one from the outside that I have not looked at zoomed in.

A bolt in all of the lugs we can see. If every door side lug failed by tear out and departed, that is remarkable.

Looks as though the 2 parts that guide the door up and off of the retention pads are gone. That is the location that have the upper 2 "lock" bolts in the door

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

ETA for clarification, there is most likely a roller on the ship side and a track on the door with the lock bolt in it keeping the door from moving up and out if that makes any sense
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 2:20:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Images taken by passengers show no damage to the frame around the neat rectangular hole. It appears that the plug, which is fastened to the airframe with just four bolts, came loose and fell away.

On Saturday, Alaska Airlines said that in the days before Friday's in-flight incident pilots had filed several reports of intermittent warning lights that indicated some loss of cabin pressure on the jet.

Jason Lai, Alaska's managing director of engineering, said these pressurization warnings were written up and "resolved per approved maintenance procedures."

As a result of those write-ups, the plane was then restricted from long-distance flying out over water, he said, but otherwise allowed to fly.

Alaska on Saturday initially said that inspections on 18 MAXs had already been completed and those jets cleared to fly. That later proved too hasty. The FAA was not satisfied that Alaska's inspections complied with the detailed requirements of the AD.

Photos and videos made by passengers inside the jet show clean metal brackets where the plug would be fastened, with no visible breaks, structural damage, deformations or tears in the metal.

In an interview Saturday, independent airline industry consultant Bob Mann said, “that makes me wonder if it was ever properly fastened.”

If not, he said, repeated pressurizations and depressurizations each time the jet flew could have gradually loosened it.

Chris Brady, an experienced pilot who runs the “Boeing 737 Technical Site” website, on Saturday posted a video showing a photo of the door plug and describing how it is installed. Brady’s technical assessments were cited in the U.S. House report into the two fatal MAX crashes.

His video, citing the 737 maintenance manual, states that the door plug is fastened with just four bolts to fittings inside the fuselage. The Seattle Times confirmed with an industry source that this is accurate.

“For this incident to have happened, something must have been amiss with at least one of those bolts, probably more,” Brady states in the video.

The entire fuselage of the jet, including this plugged door, is assembled in Wichita, Kan., by Spirit AeroSystems and arrives by train at Boeing’s Renton plant.

In Renton, Boeing mechanics and quality inspectors complete the cabin interior, adding the wiring, insulation and sidewalls that would cover the plug before adding the seats, galley, lavatories and other interior elements.

Investigators will hope to find the piece that fell somewhere south of Portland and will comb the manufacturing assembly and inspection records.

Mann said the lack of any deformation around the hole in the fuselage makes it look like the initial cause may be “a Spirit quality control issue.”

However Boeing has ultimate responsibility for the aircraft. The plug should have been inspected in Renton before the sidewall was installed to cover it.

And Alaska Airlines will also face questions about how it handled the indications of depressurization the days before, allowing the plane to continue to fly.

News of the depressurization warnings was first reported late Friday on The Air Current website.

Lai, Alaska’s managing director of engineering, said via email that “these types of aircraft pressurization system write ups are typical in large aircraft commercial aviation operations.”

“In every case, the write up was fully evaluated and resolved per approved maintenance procedures and in full compliance with all applicable FAA regulations,” he added.

Nevertheless, he said, “out of an abundance of caution,” Alaska Airlines has an internal policy to restrict aircraft with multiple maintenance write ups on certain systems from flying long distances over water, even when the reported faults are resolved.

That was the case for this aircraft. It was restricted from flying to Hawaii but cleared to fly to California.

“This internal policy is not required by any FAA regulation but is an additional ‘above and beyond’ safety precaution,” Lai said.

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/boeing-aerospace/boeing-737-max-9s-grounded-after-alaska-airlines-in-flight-blowout/
View Quote

Well that certainly puts the cat amongst the pigeons.

I'm trying to reconcile the "held in place by just four bolts" quote. Four bolts where? Is there a hinge assembly at the bottom of that door?  

The pressurization writeups from recent flights says something progressively stretched until it failed. That's either one hell of a sensitive pressure sensor or that was a big damn leak. I've done dozens of ground pressurization checkouts (electro-environmental, just lucky that way) and all aircraft bleed down ( hopefully slowly) with the pressure outflow valves closed and the AC shut off...they aren't air tight vessels, but damn...

Back in the day we did the toilet paper check for leaks. Dangle a foot of TP around the seams and watch to see where the pressure was being blown out. I remember when that Hawaiian flight unwrapped itself, and one structural mechanic was lamenting the rule against smoking in the cabin. It left black streaks down the outside of the fuselage at the seam leaks. Darker the streak, worse the leak.

I noticed someone corrected me, on Alaska that seat did have a window. Was it empty because the back end crew or the passengers didn't like the screeching next to that seat? Not kidding...I remember AF crews wetting a wad of toilet paper and stuffing it into leaks to stop the noise.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 2:27:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 2:29:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is what almost killed Mark Watney.

Maybe a bad box of bolts that hadn't been hardened properly?
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 2:30:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 2:33:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 2:40:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Why not?  A lightweight door doesn't need to support pressure loads on its own, part of the load is passed to the fuselage via membrane loads.

View Quote

Why not as in it's OK to have a door that folds in the middle and blows out?
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 2:43:43 PM EDT
[#30]
I always wear my seat belt when flying.  Not gonna stop
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 2:46:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I always wear my seat belt when flying.  Not gonna stop
View Quote

Same.

One of my fears is being in the bathroom with the door closed during a rapid depress event and being blown out (hopefully only into the cabin) when the bathroom equalizes.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 2:48:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

first week of classes. What did you call it?

Link Posted: 1/7/2024 2:49:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

We can't see behind the trim panel.

View Quote

The wallpaper trim is gone and entire door frame is visible. The roller under the top retention pads fwd and aft appear to be missing.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 2:53:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 2:58:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 3:04:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The fuselage side fitting has a short nub shown in the assembly photo   That nub is visible on the right hand side in the accident photo.

The rest is attached to the door.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We can't see behind the trim panel.

The wallpaper trim is gone and entire door frame is visible. The roller under the top retention pads fwd and aft appear to be missing.

The fuselage side fitting has a short nub shown in the assembly photo   That nub is visible on the right hand side in the accident photo.

The rest is attached to the door.

That little bit on the fwd side I'll agree it's possible it's still there, with the lock bolt location placement I'd believe that piece to be bigger though. On the aft side l, that piece is gone.

Eta the fwd piece looks to be there with the roller assy gone. That would be in line with the lock bolt.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 3:07:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

In an interview Saturday, independent airline industry consultant Bob Mann said, "that makes me wonder if it was ever properly fastened."

Chris Brady, an experienced pilot who runs the "Boeing 737 Technical Site" website, on Saturday posted a video showing a photo of the door plug and describing how it is installed. Brady's technical assessments were cited in the U.S. House report into the two fatal MAX crashes.

"For this incident to have happened, something must have been amiss with at least one of those bolts, probably more," Brady states in the video.

The entire fuselage of the jet, including this plugged door, is assembled in Wichita, Kan., by Spirit AeroSystems and arrives by train at Boeing's Renton plant.

Mann said the lack of any deformation around the hole in the fuselage makes it look like the initial cause may be "a Spirit quality control issue."

Lai, Alaska's managing director of engineering, said via email that "these types of aircraft pressurization system write ups are typical in large aircraft commercial aviation operations."

"In every case, the write up was fully evaluated and resolved per approved maintenance procedures and in full compliance with all applicable FAA regulations," he added.

Nevertheless, he said, "out of an abundance of caution," Alaska Airlines has an internal policy to restrict aircraft with multiple maintenance write ups on certain systems from flying long distances over water, even when the reported faults are resolved.

"This internal policy is not required by any FAA regulation but is an additional 'above and beyond' safety precaution," Lai said.

View Quote

Interesting. I really hope they find the door.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 3:07:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Same.

One of my fears is being in the bathroom with the door closed during a rapid depress event and being blown out (hopefully only into the cabin) when the bathroom equalizes.
View Quote

Honestly with the odds being what they are that you’re pushing a deuce and the cabin structure has a catastrophic failure… it was just your time
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 3:08:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The first week of class.

Edit-not being snarky.  It’s been a long time, but I don’t remember the beginning of classes being that big a deal.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 3:09:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Honestly with the odds being what they are that you’re pushing a deuce and the cabin structure has a catastrophic failure… it was just your time
View Quote

I piss a lot.  It's a nervous thing or something.  Not just on aeroplanes.  It has nothing to do with flying.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 3:14:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

That little bit on the fwd side I'll agree it's possible it's still there, with the lock bolt location placement I'd believe that piece to be bigger though. On the aft side l, that piece is gone.

Eta the fwd piece looks to be there with the roller assy gone. That would be in line with the lock bolt.
View Quote

well the real question is do they install the mechanism in a blank door or just bolt it closed?
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 3:24:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

well the real question is do they install the mechanism in a blank door or just bolt it closed?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It really isn't bolted closed if you're thinking that way. The track has a bolt through it to keep it down on the door frame pads. I haven't figured out how the lower hinge lock bolts work yet.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 3:25:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I piss a lot.  It's a nervous thing or something.  Not just on aeroplanes.  It has nothing to do with flying.
View Quote

I do too actually.  My bladder is undersize according to the doctor.

It actually sucks and can be embarrassing sometimes.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 3:27:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I do too actually.  My bladder is undersize according to the doctor.

It actually sucks and can be embarrassing sometimes.
View Quote

At times, it gets in the way of life.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 3:27:59 PM EDT
[#45]
2019 - https://www.heraldnet.com/business/citing-audit-boeing-quality-inspectors-question-job-cuts/

Boeing plans to eliminate up to 900 quality-control inspector positions as part of a sweeping transformation of its manufacturing system over the next two years. The idea is to move away from reliance on inspections by a second set of eyes to find any defects after a mechanic does a job. Instead, Boeing is redesigning tasks to make it easier for mechanics to get things right first time, and deploying smart tools and digital technology to track and monitor quality.
View Quote

2021 - https://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/congress-demands-records-from-boeing-to-investigate-production-quality/article_3a5338cc-b89f-11eb-b126-bb0d2d70d678.html

SEATTLE   Spurred by Boeing's recent litany of quality defects in production of the 787 Dreamliner, the 737 MAX and the 767-based KC-46 tanker, a congressional committee sent letters Tuesday to both Boeing and the Federal Aviation Administration seeking pertinent manufacturing and quality control records.

The move, yet another setback for Boeing, signals a loss of confidence from the repeated quality lapses and comes after a drastic shift in Boeing's system of production quality control that since 2019 cut out thousands of quality inspection checks formerly performed after work was completed.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/7/2024 3:34:13 PM EDT
[#46]
I liked it better when doors and plugs had to come inside, then shrink, then go out the aircraft.  

Yea, heavier and harder to rig, but kind of fool proof once installed.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 3:38:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oof.  Ops check good huh?  That gonna be ugly
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 3:46:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I'm trying to reconcile the "held in place by just four bolts" quote. Four bolts where? Is there a hinge assembly at the bottom of that door?  

View Quote
This is just an educated guess, but it is based on similar looking fuselage doorways that I still see often.

The picture of the hole in the Alaska Airlines plane shows a bunch of lugs with "bolts" in them. There are likely a matching set of lugs and "bolts" in the door itself. Those bolts don't attach the door to the fuselage. They are a load bearing surface, like the lugs on an AR bolt. Match them up and they are incredibly strong. Mis-match them and they pass right by. My guess is that the "four bolts" are just there to hold the door in the correct position, so that the stop bolts in the lugs can hold the door in against the cabin pressure. A flexible seal around the perimeter keeps air from blowing out around the edge of the door.

This next part is also an educated guess, but I believe it to be true. Those stop bolts in the lugs in the doorway, or the ones on the door itself, or maybe both, need to be adjusted individually in order to properly rig the door. The doors and the fuselage won't be an exact fit until those fine-tuned adjustments are made. It could be that this particular door was rigged "good enough" in the eyes of the installer and any inspector that was involved, but not in reality. It held for its tests at the factory, and for another hundred pressure cycles, but those loads were not distributed evenly. I believe a cascading failure occurred, resulting in the door shifting out of position and blowing off of the aircraft.

Again, the above is just an educated guess, but I believe that it will be shown to be correct.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 3:46:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Will be interesting to see how much Boeing stock takes a hit on Monday
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 4:09:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But, this what I don't get.  The stop fittings of the door sit inboard of the respective fuselage stop fittings.  The door has to move up the whole height of the frame/fuselage stop fitting before it can translate outboard.

Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top