BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 14
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 4:55:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Remember, the timeframe nuclear winter was being pushed was also the same timeframe the .gov was pushing hole in the ozone and acid rain.

Nuclear war would be the biggest disaster man has known but nuclear winter is lower on the scale for me in threats, behind economic collapse, civil unrest and disease that would inevitably come from it.
View Quote

Don't forget the end of any space based enabler to modern society.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 4:57:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

High uncertainty and high risk.
View Quote

If only there was some way to remove uncertainty.  Like with honest, unbiased research or something.

Someday, we may have a method.  Hopefully.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 4:57:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Again the whole idea is to not be predictable. The president has the flexibility to respond as he pleases. If Putin knows the response and views it acceptable loss, you kill the element of deterrence. You want him to consider all the possibilities. To be predictable is to be no deterrence at all. By your thinking, why not trade a list of targets and let him pick our response so he doesn't get butt hurt.
View Quote

I’m not giving you my way of thinking. You simply do not put them in a use it or lose it scenario unless you are pushing all your chips in the middle. Even if Putin DID know the response, it wouldn’t matter.

You don’t respond to a single nuke strike with an overwhelming response. That’s not tactics, that madness and a childish understanding of nuclear planning and response. The movie The Day After was propaganda, not reality.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 4:57:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Don't forget the end of any space based enabler to modern society.
View Quote

Grumbles like Sideshow Bob...

That's how you control the masses it seems. Keep them scared shitless that the world is going to end before the next commercial break.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 4:59:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Grumbles like Sideshow Bob...

That's how you control the masses it seems. Keep them scared shitless that the world is going to end before the next commercial break.
View Quote

AOc predicted we have 12 years to live, that’s been a few years ago.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 5:07:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I’m not giving you my way of thinking. You simply do not put them in a use it or lose it scenario unless you are pushing all your chips in the middle. Even if Putin DID know the response, it wouldn’t matter.

You don’t respond to a single nuke strike with an overwhelming response. That’s not tactics, that madness and a childish understanding of nuclear planning and response. The movie The Day After was propaganda, not reality.
View Quote

So you don't think MAD is a deterrent? Great. You want to be predictable but that is not how the system works. They must have no idea what we will do. You are saying we shouldn't fire everything we have. I agree. However, you don't want Putin to think we won't or he will use them. What is one city if it wins the war, right? That is mad thinking. We trained for all options not just the predictable one.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 5:09:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

So you don't think MAD is a deterrent? Great. You want to be predictable but that is not how the system works. They must have no idea what we will do. You are saying we shouldn't fire everything we have. I agree. However, you don't want Putin to think that or he will use them. What is one city if it wins the war, right? That is mad thinking. We trained for all options not just the predictable one.
View Quote

So if you were president and we bumbled our way into committing Ground forces in Ukraine. Not a far fetched scenario. We push their shit in and are on the Russian border within a week. Putin says fuck you and launches a single ICBM targeting a single silo in Montana as a warning. What do you do?
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 5:12:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Let the interceptors do their thing then call up Putin and laugh maniacally and then hang up.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 5:13:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Let the interceptors do their thing then call up Putin and laugh maniacally and then hang up.
View Quote

For the sake of this exercise let’s pretend the decoys and maneuvers worked.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 5:19:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

So if you were president and we bumbled our way into committing Ground forces in Ukraine. Not a far fetched scenario. We push their shit in and are on the Russian border within a week. Putin says fuck you and launches a single ICBM targeting a single silo in Montana as a warning. What do you do?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you don't think MAD is a deterrent? Great. You want to be predictable but that is not how the system works. They must have no idea what we will do. You are saying we shouldn't fire everything we have. I agree. However, you don't want Putin to think that or he will use them. What is one city if it wins the war, right? That is mad thinking. We trained for all options not just the predictable one.

I think if Putin launched an attack on US soil the President would have no choice but respond in kind --  assuming of course he's lucid enough to respond -- which would then cause the Russians to reply, setting off a tit-for-tat exchange that would lead to full nuclear counterstrike.

The real test would be if Putin used tactical nukes on US or NATO troop formations or bases in Ukraine.  Or just nuked Ukrainian troops and bases.  A full counterstrike at that point would be suicidal.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 5:21:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I think if Putin launched an attack on US soil the President would have no choice but respond in kind --  assuming of course he's lucid enough to respond -- which would then cause the Russians to reply, setting off a tit-for-tat exchange that would lead to full nuclear counterstrike.

The real test would be if Putin used tactical nukes on US or NATO troop formations or bases in Ukraine.  Or just nuked Ukrainian troops and bases.  A full counterstrike at that point would be suicidal.
View Quote

See, that’s the point. You can turn off a tit for tat exchange (in theory). You can’t turn off a full exchange.

I suspect the response to your scenario would be a massive NATO conventional air response but who knows. Miscalculation is what makes the entire exercise so dangerous and why we should never get to that point.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 5:25:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SLBM depressed trajectory shot at perimeter.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 5:25:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

SLBM depressed trajectory shot at perimeter.
View Quote

Likely correct.

Depends who is best at convincing POTUS.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 5:27:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Assuming we can't just kidnap him with a tictac in front of his full security entourage. Land him on a random New York skyscraper and have a serious talk about his decisions going forward.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 5:29:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Assuming we can't just kidnap him with a tictac in front of his full security entourage. Land him on a random New York skyscraper and have a serious talk about his decisions going forward.
View Quote

You really think you can fly that thing?
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 5:30:16 PM EDT
[#16]
We have toys we'll never acknowledge. A nuclear attack is as good as any reason to bring them out to play.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 5:31:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
We have toys we'll never acknowledge. A nuclear attack is as good as any reason to bring them out to play.
View Quote

So is misgendering someone
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 5:31:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Me? No. US? Absolutely.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 5:32:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Me? No. US? Absolutely.
View Quote

Sorry it was a movie quote.

The response should have been “you really think you can do all that bullshit you just said”
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 5:36:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Say less. I just want to see them officially.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 5:40:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do you want to win or do the Cut & Run Turkey Trot? I don't believe in dancing in a war. If Putin uses a tactical nuke the Patriot system has a decent chance of taking it out. Because of that, Putin won't use just one. If he is striking the front lines he is killing his own troops as well. That won't play well at home. If he goes after Kyiv, then Russia will have three fewer major cities on the map. I do expect if he is willing to go nuclear he is betting we don't have the balls to respond. That would be because we showed weakness. My presidency would make it clear that is a really bad assumption. It would be healthier if he just packed it up and went home. Under no circumstances does he get one sq. inch of Ukraine if we send in troops.

If you go tit for tat you are playing his game and public opinion will crush you. In Russia, he is public opinion for the moment.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 5:43:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Do you want to win or do the Cut & Run Turkey Trot? I don't believe in dancing in a war. If Putin uses a tactical nuke the Patriot system has a decent chance of taking it out. Because of that, Putin won't use just one. If he is striking the front lines he is killing his own troops as well. That won't play well at home. If he goes after Kyiv, then Russia will have three fewer major cities on the map. I do expect if he is willing to go nuclear he is betting we don't have the balls to respond. That would be because we showed weakness. My presidency would make it clear that is a really bad assumption. It would be healthier if he just packed it up and went home. Under no circumstances does he get one sq. inch of Ukraine if we send in troops.

If you go tit for tat you are playing his game and public opinion will crush you. In Russia, he is public opinion for the moment.
View Quote

You didn’t answer the question.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 5:47:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

China is almost an impossible problem to solve militarily now. A lot of people equate Russias ineptitude to what is thought to be Chinese ineptitude. That’s a mistake.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are we though, peer on peer? I mean, we do have Deid a Zidor or however it's spelled off the top of my head---JDAM Arc Light, Lol---but we haven't fought a war in the last 50 years where we haven't had air supremacy, fires supremacy if it was really important to us, complete signals freedom to emit and communicate how and where we want, etc
..   None of that will likely be true with China.

I dunno.  Naval combat with missiles has a way of having really bad surprises come up in the first blows:  Eliat, Sheffield  Moskva, LOFL...  Guess we'll see.

China is almost an impossible problem to solve militarily now. A lot of people equate Russias ineptitude to what is thought to be Chinese ineptitude. That’s a mistake.

China has to be learning a LOT in Ukraine about what works, what doesn't and major how to against western weapons. Knowledge that would have cost them time and blood to learn in a war and we're give it to them. No, actually we're paying for their learning.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 5:50:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 5:51:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
I assume it has some type of brain probe deal like in the Matrix....I just need to think what I want it to do. I mean the greys have always been kinda proby.  Plus it must have some type of isolation field for the pilot cause those damn things pull some Gs.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 5:51:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 5:52:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The response should have been "you really think you can do all that bullshit you just said"
View Quote
Keep my wife's name out cho damn mouf!
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 5:58:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 6:01:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The response should have been “you really think you can do all that bullshit you just said”
View Quote

Always a good question to ask in a military context.

"We are now in year 4 of what was supposed to be a one week long police action."
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 6:05:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 6:07:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

China has to be learning a LOT in Ukraine about what works, what doesn't and major how to against western weapons. Knowledge that would have cost them time and blood to learn in a war and we're give it to them. No, actually we're paying for their learning.
View Quote

We are in the beginning stages of the drone wars. Or clone wars for the SW people
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 6:07:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You didn’t answer the question.
View Quote

If he targets American soil, you can bet your ass it won't be tit-for-tat. He will be missing three cities. Again as I said you play the tit-for-tat you are playing his game. He has mobile launchers. He won't go for just one silo. His missiles aren't that accurate. He can't guarantee a hit. We can't miss.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 6:08:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

And their missiles can target whatever they want and we can’t stop it. Hence the MAD doctrine. If you respond to a single nuclear event with an all out nuclear response then you assure yourself of being on the receiving end of one.

A single nuclear event would likely be responded to with either a large conventional response or a single nuclear response. Certainly not an all out one. Jesus, I’m glad our planners are more sane than that. This isn’t an 80s movie with a thousand warheads coming down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@ FlyNavy75
We can launch one or all or anything in between. The idea is to make Putin understand whatever our response is, Russia is going to pay dearly. He can not be allowed to gamble it will be tit for tat. The fear of the unpredictable is part of how it works.  We can target whatever we want and he can't stop it. The primary goal is deterrence. If everyone is convinced the consequences are not worth the cost, we did our job.

And their missiles can target whatever they want and we can’t stop it. Hence the MAD doctrine. If you respond to a single nuclear event with an all out nuclear response then you assure yourself of being on the receiving end of one.

A single nuclear event would likely be responded to with either a large conventional response or a single nuclear response. Certainly not an all out one. Jesus, I’m glad our planners are more sane than that. This isn’t an 80s movie with a thousand warheads coming down.

That's the problem with where it looks like Ukraine is going and the US/NATO involved driving Russia back towards the Russian border. I think there's a good a tactical nuke or two, maybe more would be used. Now what?
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 6:08:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

If he targets American soil, you can bet your ass it won't be tit-for-tat. He will be missing three cities. Again as I said you play the tit-for-tat you are playing his game. He has mobile launchers. He won't go for just one silo. His missiles aren't that accurate. He can't guarantee a hit. We can't miss.
View Quote

Ok great, he is missing three cities. Now so are we. Now what? What’s next?
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 6:12:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Again the whole idea is to not be predictable. The president has the flexibility to respond as he pleases. If Putin knows the response and views it acceptable loss, you kill the element of deterrence. You want him to consider all the possibilities. To be predictable is to be no deterrence at all. By your thinking, why not trade a list of targets and let him pick our response so he doesn't get butt hurt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You do know who our president is, done you?
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 6:15:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You do know who we have in the White House, right?
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 6:21:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Putin threatens us with nukes less often than some of our elected representatives.  Maybe they'll put one up Swalwells' backside.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 6:24:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You do know who our president is, done you?
View Quote

Yes, but he asked if I was president.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 6:29:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Good. Let’s settle this once and for all.
View Quote

let's build something we can overload moscows abm defense with first. if they fafo I want that town glassed so you can see the reflection from the moon.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 6:31:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Ok great, he is missing three cities. Now so are we. Now what? What’s next?
View Quote

So you want to cut and run? I told you I fight to win. Putin can not be allowed to win or you give him all of Europe. If you cave he won't stop.

The concept of MAD is to be so unpredictable and so convincing, that Putin believes he can't win in the end.  If you can't do that, you are the wrong man for the job. This is like a game of poker where everyone has a shitty hand. We can not respond conventionally. We have proven we can't sustain that and he now knows it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 6:32:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Such a war on a large scale would almost certainly kill civilization in its current form. Humanity would continue in places like Argentina and New Zealand. But it would be a very harsh existence for the survivors.

Where things get really fucked up is when you have people who believe that civilization in it's current form deserves to die. Mostly these are the most insane of environmentalists. But not all of them...
View Quote

Well just great, the Nazis will out live us and get their 1000 year reich after all
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 6:34:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

@ FlyNavy75
We can launch one or all or anything in between. The idea is to make Putin understand whatever our response is, Russia is going to pay dearly. He can not be allowed to gamble it will be tit for tat. The fear of the unpredictable is part of how it works.  We can target whatever we want and he can't stop it. The primary goal is deterrence. If everyone is convinced the consequences are not worth the cost, we did our job.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn’t work that way. Our doctrine isn’t to respond to one nuke with an all out launch.

@ FlyNavy75

Will they be able to wake up Joe or get him off the beach to allow a launch?
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 6:34:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

What the war itself didn’t kill, the follow on economic collapse, starvation and plagues will.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Such a war on a large scale would almost certainly kill civilization in it's current form. Humanity would continue in places like Argentina and New Zealand. But it would be a very harsh existence for the survivors.

Where things get really fucked up is when you have people who believe that civilization in it's current form deserves to die. Mostly these are the most insane of environmentalists. But not all of them...

What the war itself didn’t kill, the follow on economic collapse, starvation and plagues will.

Everything I have read about a nuclear exchange says the ones killed first are the lucky ones.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 6:39:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I assume it has some type of brain probe deal like in the Matrix....I just need to think what I want it to do. I mean the greys have always been kinda proby.  Plus it must have some type of isolation field for the pilot cause those damn things pull some Gs.
View Quote

What could cause water to boil at sea level without heat?
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 6:39:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

From Russia? Nope. Aegis hitting some shit NK ICBM as it’s goes up is much different than targeting maneuvering warheads with decoys from different trajectories. There is nothing we could do to stop a Russian nuclear attack if Putin pushed that button right now. Not a thing. Unless there is something we don’t know about, which obviously wouldn’t be posted here. Maybe we have sharks with laser beams.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

MAD is dead and we can and will stop individual launches.

From Russia? Nope. Aegis hitting some shit NK ICBM as it’s goes up is much different than targeting maneuvering warheads with decoys from different trajectories. There is nothing we could do to stop a Russian nuclear attack if Putin pushed that button right now. Not a thing. Unless there is something we don’t know about, which obviously wouldn’t be posted here. Maybe we have sharks with laser beams.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 6:43:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

We are in the beginning stages of the drone wars. Or clone wars for the SW people
View Quote

Until the war happens to be over the source of ICs.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 6:44:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

A rail based system, some tunnels, some improved MIRVs and improved reliability and accuracy. If I were king that’s what I’d push for.
View Quote

I like semi trailers more. about 500 scattered on the interstate system. plain white trailers refer and dry van. change tractors now and then and switch routes.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 6:46:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

So you want to cut and run? I told you I fight to win. Putin can not be allowed to win or you give him all of Europe. If you cave he won't stop.

The concept of MAD is to be so unpredictable and so convincing, that Putin believes he can't win in the end.  If you can't do that, you are the wrong man for the job. This is like a game of poker where everyone has a shitty hand. We can not respond conventionally. We have proven we can't sustain that and he now knows it.
View Quote

MAD is dead. (Mostly their) Ballistic is dead. How does that change your calculus?
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 6:48:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Everything I have read about a nuclear exchange says the ones killed first are the lucky ones.
View Quote

I have a manual can opener. I'll be Just. Fine.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 6:49:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

let's build something we can overload moscows abm defense with first. if they fafo I want that town glassed so you can see the reflection from the moon.
View Quote

The Russian ABM systems are busy right now with Ukrainian drones
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top