Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 4:54:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Y’all need to watch the alternate ending.  Much better.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Law Abiding Citizen.

Y’all need to watch the alternate ending.  Much better.

Link?

Didn't realize there was one.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 4:56:21 PM EDT
[#2]
The Empire Strikes Back.  You have to understand, that in the context of its original release, there were only two Star Wars movies.  People hadn't "gotten it" yet that all the episodes really add up to one huge story, and some of the episodes aren't going to "end" per se.  I remember people were fucking livid that after the great feel good ending of the 1977 Star Wars movie, Empire just sorta "stopped" and left  you hanging.  A lot of folks, including me, were so pissed that we swore off the rest of the movies.  I didn't even see Return of the Jedi until some friends dragged me to the dollar movie one Saturday afternoon.  With that release, of course, it was well known that the movies were meant to be episodic and not stand-alone movies, but the audience didn't start out knowing that.   The 1977 Star Wars and Empire weren't retitled with the episode numbers until much later.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 4:58:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
“Law Abiding Citizen”
View Quote

Exactly!  The wrong guy won in the end.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 4:59:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Might as well get this out of the way now…
No Country for Old Men.
View Quote

The ending doesn't suck. Lol....
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 5:07:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Earliest, worst let down ending i recall was 2001: A Space Odyssey. I was a kid when it came out, so there is that. Saw it again in adulthood. Reconsidered after figuring it out. The end was perfect.

Gran Torino's ending bummed me out, but i thought it out. The character was already on Death's door. He chose his way out to help those close to him that needed it.  He was old, but still had a soldier's protective heart. To quote another movie character, the samurai Katsumoto: "It was a good death."
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 5:34:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The Empire Strikes Back.  You have to understand, that in the context of its original release, there were only two Star Wars movies.  People hadn't "gotten it" yet that all the episodes really add up to one huge story, and some of the episodes aren't going to "end" per se.  I remember people were fucking livid that after the great feel good ending of the 1977 Star Wars movie, Empire just sorta "stopped" and left  you hanging.  A lot of folks, including me, were so pissed that we swore off the rest of the movies.  I didn't even see Return of the Jedi until some friends dragged me to the dollar movie one Saturday afternoon.  With that release, of course, it was well known that the movies were meant to be episodic and not stand-alone movies, but the audience didn't start out knowing that.   The 1977 Star Wars and Empire weren't retitled with the episode numbers until much later.
View Quote

Really?

I saw that in the theaters, and although we were all bummed at the cliffhanger, we were all aware that Lucas already had the next one planned. What sucked was having to wait 3 years to get closure. Most other movie series where the next is a continuation are released within 12-18 months.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 5:41:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Really?

I saw that in the theaters, and although we were all bummed at the cliffhanger, we were all aware that Lucas already had the next one planned. What sucked was having to wait 3 years to get closure. Most other movie series where the next is a continuation are released within 12-18 months.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?

I remember it well.  People thought the idea of Vader being Luke's dad sucked too.  My best friend said, "Fuck that.  I'll never pay to see another one."  I do think most people were aware that Lucas planned to make three movies, but they were still pissed at Empire's cliffhanger.  I'll never forget that.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 6:10:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Roots
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 8:55:56 PM EDT
[#9]
The Revenant.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 8:57:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The Revenant.
View Quote

Watch Man in the Wilderness, same story, better ending
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 8:58:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Blazing Saddles.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 11:01:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Seraphim Falls
View Quote

That's a good choice for this thread.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 11:02:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The Mule.  Not a great movie by any means, but..........
View Quote

I didn't think it was that bad.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 11:04:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The Prestige.

I wanted to drive to Hollywood and punch the screenwriter in the face.
View Quote

That movie was outstanding, ending included.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 11:10:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Deathly Hallows pt 2.  Horrible ending and no where near the book ending.
View Quote

Beat it nerd
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 11:14:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Man on fire should have gone with the alternate ending.
View Quote

I don’t know what the alternate ending was, but I always hated the ending of that movie
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 11:19:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Avengers Endgame
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 11:22:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Layer Cake
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 11:48:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Uncut Gems. The frantic panic attack inducing plot of bad choices to FINALLY win and got shot in the fucking face.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 8:37:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The Prestige.

View Quote

I’ll drive, get in.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 8:59:53 AM EDT
[#21]
The Equalizer.  Seriously.  A fucking hardware store??
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 9:07:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Blazing Saddles.

After an hour of greatness, Mel Brooks ran out of material and tacked on the studio sequence.
View Quote

Absolutely this.  WTF was he thinking?

Look at the flipped ending of Young Frankenstein to see that he knew how to do it.  He just failed miserably with Blazing Saddles.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 9:15:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The Revenant.
View Quote

The real life end of the story was an even bigger let down.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 9:35:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Titanic. There was plenty of room for Jack. Bitch let him freeze.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 9:38:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Kind of like life, huh?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Might as well get this out of the way now…
No Country for Old Men.
Came here just to post this.
After all that build up what a let down.
Kind of like life, huh?

Maybe yours, but not mine. I'm riding a rocket-sled all the way to the end.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 9:42:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Yeah, but in that case it was a great FIRST 20 minutes followed by a whole lot of WTF.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
From Dusk Till Dawn
Yeah, but in that case it was a great FIRST 20 minutes followed by a whole lot of WTF.
FDTD was great until it became a vampire movie. Then, it was silly.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 9:45:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's not how I remember things at all. I saw it not long after it opened, and the ending was no surprise to anyone. Everyone knew there would be at least one more.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 9:46:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Another vote for:

Law Abiding Citizen
Collateral

Amazing movies up until the last 5 minutes of each one.
View Quote

Yup.  Was happy to see in this thread that LAC was the first one mentioned.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 9:48:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Anything involving that fuckwad Stephen King.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 10:14:35 AM EDT
[#30]
True Romance
Click To View Spoiler

Heat
Click To View Spoiler

No Country for Old Men
Click To View Spoiler

Collateral
Click To View Spoiler

Django Unchained
Click To View Spoiler

Law Abiding Citizen
Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 10:16:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Anything involving that fuckwad Stephen King.
View Quote

No way! Jordy Verrell in Creepshow, He suck starts a shotgun
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 11:15:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Under the dome

I know it's a book not a movie, but the ending was trash.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 11:23:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Law Abiding Citizen Of The most egregious.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 11:23:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Ghostbusters Afterlife

Oh boo boo. We miss you, Egon.  We’ll stretch out the ending for your horrible cgi ghost.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 11:25:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 11:27:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yep, the bad guys won.

Cabin by the Lake (2000) was decent until the final few scenes. Those scenes had so much WTF that it ruins the whole movie.

I was pissed off that I wasted an hour and a half on it.

DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME ON THIS MOVIE

View Quote
From imdb:
A screenwriter, who lives in a cabin by the lake near Los Angeles, drowns young women, then goes back to visit their bodies and do their laundry.

I'm not the first to stray intoTV. The first thing I thought of was battle star Galactica
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 11:40:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Silverado, huh???
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Natural
History of the World part 1
Silverado

Silverado, huh???
No shit, Silverado's ending was classic western.  Every good guy gets to cap their own personal nemesis in a cinematic way and they ride off in to the sunset.

The only thing that would have made it better is if there was a threesome scene with Kevin Kline, Rosanna Arquette and Linda Hunt.

(Movie would have been better if there was a mid movie scene of Jake nailing Phoebe in a hay loft, but we're talking endings)
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 11:51:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Das Boot (The Boat)

Aguirre, Wrath of the Gods

Both long and drawn out with bummer endings (i.e.: German)
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 12:17:52 PM EDT
[#39]
I guess I misunderstood the post. There are movies that have endings that are plausible or make sense within the context of the story, but they aren't the best or most logical ending. The endings of both Law Abiding Citizen and Collateral were bad because they didn't really fit the spirit of the characters and plot to that point. But at the same time they weren't out of left field.

I love Falling Down and the movie gets better and more relevant every year. The interpretations get more in depth every year. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if there are college courses on the themes. Its ending followed the spirit of the movie. It would have been plausible to have a bubblegum ending where D-FENS reunited with his family, but it wouldn't have been a good one. This was the problem with LAC and Collateral - bubblegum endings to relatively dark and heavy movies. They made some sense but made the movie worse.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 12:28:02 PM EDT
[#40]
On the other hand, there are endings that seem almost completely random. Some are cheap deus ex machina and some just don't really make sense. Sunshine is a prime example of a great movie that went way off the rails. Shutter Island, Fight Club, Ex Machina (appropriately), The Mist, The Prestige, AI, and I'm sure plenty of others had "twist endings" that were way out of left field and ruined an otherwise decent movie.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 12:32:18 PM EDT
[#41]
The Departed.

Who was Dignam (Wahlberg) really working for and what was the real reason for Sullivan’s (Damon) murder?
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 12:46:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The Prestige.

View Quote

Why? Is a teleporter any more satisfying than a duplicator?

The Prestige was good.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 3:20:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
No shit, Silverado's ending was classic western.  Every good guy gets to cap their own personal nemesis in a cinematic way and they ride off in to the sunset.

The only thing that would have made it better is if there was a threesome scene with Kevin Kline, Rosanna Arquette and Linda Hunt.

(Movie would have been better if there was a mid movie scene of Jake nailing Phoebe in a hay loft, but we're talking endings)
View Quote

Exactly, "classic". I was expecting more & I got let down. Not every movie needs a happy ending to make it "great"
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 3:23:57 PM EDT
[#44]
I wouldn't call it a good movie. But if one were to ignore the post credits scene in Black Widow and chop off the part after the cops show up to arrest Natascha at the end. The part where she's talking to her fixer that adds nothing to the story, it would have been a much better movie in my opinion.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 3:43:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Collateral
Sucker Punch
The Equalizer
Man on Fire

No Time to Die - holy shit that ending sucked.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 3:45:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 3:49:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
In Charelton Heston's autobiography he talks about the movie "Will Penny".  It was a great western and he said that there were two possible endings and they didn't decide until almost the end of filming which to use.  

One was a "happy ending" and the other were a "sad ending".  They decided to go with the sad ending.

Heston said he opposed that decision but was over ruled.  He said it cost them millions in income from the movie doing poorly and probably cost him an Academy Award for his part.

People like happy endings.

View Quote

That is 1 of the best westerns, & The Wild Bunch, & Nevada Smith.
Life isn't fair or just.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 4:01:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

They gave us what we needed, not what we wanted, and we didn't know we needed it until many years later.  Sometimes the audience isn't ready and Empire is definitely one of those cases.  

It's too bad they botched ROTJ because Star Wars was headed in an awesome direction at that point.  ROTJ is where the fan service started in earnest with Star Wars and it hasn't let up since.  "Throw in another Death Star for the rebels to blow up because people love that crap and maybe some space teddy bears because we will sell the shit out of that merch."

At the end of the day, nearly everything in the Star Wars universe is directly derivative of ANH and ESB.  There's very little in the way of new ideas in subsequent Star Wars movies that isn't firmly grounded in things that were introduced in those two movies.

Link Posted: 2/26/2022 4:05:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Once apon a time in Hollywood.  Enjoyed the movie, and the ending wasnt really bad, just felt ….. rushed.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 4:11:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Look at the flipped ending of Young Frankenstein to see that he knew how to do it.  He just failed miserably with Blazing Saddles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Blazing Saddles.

After an hour of greatness, Mel Brooks ran out of material and tacked on the studio sequence.

Spaceballs kind of dances around that area too. Once they hit the evacuation sequence and you have the Bearded Lady and the Bear it's kind of like "Well, we're done here."

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top