BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 10:55:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well OP I hope you are happy. I picked-up this Rhodesian marked FN A-5 (7+1) POL shotgun yesterday.  

http://oi62.tinypic.com/fder07.jpg

If it was not for this thread I would have not made the RA connection. That shotgun had been moldering at my LGS for at least six years.
View Quote

How much?
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 10:58:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Coming to a neighborhood near you.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 11:16:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
http://i58.tinypic.com/o7lp1d.jpg
View Quote

Impossible.

*There aren't any teenagers that thin left in America....*
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 11:46:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I knew a U.S. Attorney from Rhodesia. Amazing stories from that time.

Our mistake was thinking Communists would play well in the sandbox.

But Mugabe and his ilk were the real cause of Rhodesia's destruction - according to the attorney, Mugabe not only removed all whites from the farm, but all blacks as well, basically handing the farms over to his cronies, who had never farmed in their lives.

Seriously, what else would happen but complete destruction of their agricultural system?  Mugabe didn't care as long as he retained control. F* him and all Commies.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 11:58:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

How much?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well OP I hope you are happy. I picked-up this Rhodesian marked FN A-5 (7+1) POL shotgun yesterday.  

If it was not for this thread I would have not made the RA connection. That shotgun had been moldering at my LGS for at least six years.

How much?

I traded a WW-2 rebuilt M1917 Enfield and a '56 S&W M&P even-up for it....Deal of the Day!
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 12:01:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I traded a WW-2 rebuilt M1917 Enfield and a '56 S&W M&P even-up for it....Deal of the Day!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How much?

Cool but damn shame it didn't have rhodie paint.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 12:12:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How much?

It does but it's just a satin black instead of  baby-poop camo. In fact I consider it a stroke of good luck. Had it the camo I suspect it would have been gone long ago.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 1:21:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have seen that picture a dozen times over the years and this is the first time I have noticed the son has a G3.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 1:54:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

How much do those cost?  If I'm wanting only one rifle, is it worth buying those tools and building myself, or is it easier to just send it out and get it done by someone with the tools and experience?

A couple of your threads coupled with this one have really made me want to look at picking one up, but I'm trying to figure out how much it all would cost.  Is the parts kit complete sans receiver, or would I need to buy a barrel or other parts as well?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FAL's are typically no more difficult than an AR. In some respects, easier. FAL's do need some specific tools and need to be accurately/reliably headspaced but that isn't much of an obstacle.

Drugs; you're on them.

The most 'difficult' part of building an AR is barreling the upper.  I've seen it done with a vice grip and folding chair.  With the right tools (which are fairly inexpensive) it's a 2 minute process that a training monkey can do (and it always headspaces right).

With an FAL it's a more complicated process AND requires you have a set of the locking shoulders to select from after you used your gauge.  That alone puts the FAL into the 'more difficult' category.
What you need.   1.FAL receiver wrench (Locks around the receiver and allows you to twist the barrel on.
2.Blocking bar (Goes into the square so you can torque the barrel down.
3.Headspace gauges (308 go and no go gauges)
4.Pin Gauges (helps identify what size locking shoulder you need)

It seems like a lot but honestly it's not as hard as it seems.

How much do those cost?  If I'm wanting only one rifle, is it worth buying those tools and building myself, or is it easier to just send it out and get it done by someone with the tools and experience?

A couple of your threads coupled with this one have really made me want to look at picking one up, but I'm trying to figure out how much it all would cost.  Is the parts kit complete sans receiver, or would I need to buy a barrel or other parts as well?

I made a receiver wrench out of oak. It was a one use item, broke in the process, but got the job done.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 1:58:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 2:02:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
How much?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

How much?
Very nice!

Btw if any of you are ever up my way Ill gladly let you put some rounds through my Rhodie FN's. It's hard to explain to people how enjoyable they are without someone actually shooting one
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 2:30:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Dunno the story behind it but at some point during the conflict the Rhodesians acquired I believe the number was 6 or 8 of a Huey variant

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 3:21:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Unlike South Africa at the time, Native Africans were part of the Ian Smith government. The Rhodesians themselves were working towards integration of Blacks into a larger segment of politics and the economy. The Tribal Trust Lands were administered and provided for by the government. Ironically, the war would take a higher toll on the Black Rhodesians than the Whites as the Communist Terrorists slaughtered thousands of Shona and Matebele men, women and children. Smith believed it would be disastrous to turn over the government to a people not yet integrated into the work or education necessary to govern a nation.

Read more: http://sofrep.com/11609/the-rhodesian-sas-part-3/#ixzz3BL4Q1IYN

They would have to go to war alone. On a personal note, as I have discussed the war with several veterans of Rhodesia and South Africa, I have marveled at the amount of time being deployed. In many ways it is different than the current War on Terror, in that, they had no place to rotate home to. Many veterans spent over 10 or more years on active duty, enduring hundreds and hundreds of firefights. The answer is always the same, ‘We had no choice, it was our home and we had nowhere to go.’

Read more: http://sofrep.com/11609/the-rhodesian-sas-part-3/#ixzz3BL4VqQ8f

These two combined make me so sad.  Imagine if, instead of buckling under to race baiters and communists, the West had aided Rhodesia.  Could

it be possible that Ian Smith's integration efforts might have paid off, had they not been crushed?  Could we possibly have a successful, integrated,

peaceful Rhodesia as a model for all of Africa?  A functional, capable, bread basket of a nation of black and white Africans living in peace under the

law?  Such a waste.

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 6:18:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Some Rhodie in here.

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 6:20:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Time for a Rhodesian thread?

Cool.

Tag for home.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 6:26:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Nice find

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 6:47:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Awesome thread. Be a man among men.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 6:53:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh how!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lucky!

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 7:01:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Cool
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 8:49:21 PM EDT
[#20]
I always find it interesting to note all the black Africans who were supporting the Republic of Rhodesia.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 9:54:49 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

How much?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

How much?
Chief, Senior Chief or Master Chief in your avatar. You should sendf striker an email and get into the .mil forum.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 12:25:21 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I always find it interesting to note all the black Africans who were supporting the Republic of Rhodesia.
View Quote
Indeed.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 2:12:55 AM EDT
[#23]

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 2:28:23 AM EDT
[#24]

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 2:34:37 AM EDT
[#25]
These threads always make me want a FAL.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 2:35:16 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

These threads always make me want a FAL.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:44:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

One interesting fact is that about 80% of the Rhodesian Army was black.  Whites, Asians, and Coloureds were subject to conscription, but Blacks were not.  All of those Blacks were volunteers.

On the other hand, many blacks refused to participate in the process even when they qualified to vote, which did cause political issues.

There's an interesting episode of The Firing Line with Bill Buckley where he goes to Salisbury to interview Ian Smith.  It's free on Amazon Prime.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:08:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:27:45 AM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

Between the song and the Hueys you could almost swear it was a Vietnam clip. I guess there were similarities, fighting commies and being thrown under the bus by politicians, except it would seem that the Rhodies wernt cowards like most of the ARVNs, they fought back with all they had.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:05:46 AM EDT
[#30]
The BSAP website has some good pictures.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:19:16 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

The Western World really fucked those guys over.

View Quote
And now we are busy screwing ourselves over.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:00:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:04:18 AM EDT
[#33]

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:07:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Selection for the Scouts was rigorous and even tougher than the SAS course. As soon as volunteers arrived at Wafa Wafa, the Scouts’ training camp on the shores of Lake Kariba, they were given a taste of the hardships they would have to endure. On reaching the base, tired and soaked in sweat - the trainers had ordered them to run the final 25kms —they saw no cozy barracks, no welcoming mess tent, but only a few straw huts and the blackened embers of a dying fire. There was no food issued. From this point instructors set out to exhaust, starve and antagonize the recruits. They usually proved so successful that 40 or 50 men out of the original 60 regularly dropped out in the first two days.  

Seventeen days of pure hell was the basic course. Every morning, from first light until 0700 hours recruits were put through a strength-sapping fitness program and barely had time to take a rest before having their basic combat skills sharpened. The day ended with the men having to run a particularly nasty assault course designed to overcome their fear of heights; and then, as soon as darkness fell, night training began.

No rations were issued for the first five days at the camp and recruits had to live off the land. On the third day a dead baboon would be hung up and left to rot in the blazing sun. Two days later it was cut down, gutted and (maggots and all) cooked. Reid Daly explained why:

‘Few people are aware that rotten meat is edible if thoroughly boiled - although if reheated a deadly botulism could kill you. Scouts on a reconnaissance mission, where supply might not always be possible, could survive on a rotting carcass, but they had to be made aware of this by practical experience, otherwise they would never have eaten it.’
View Quote

http://selousscouts.tripod.com/Scouting_%20for_danger.htm
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:09:49 AM EDT
[#35]

From left to right: Andre Rabie, Stretch Franklin and Pete Clemence from the Selous Scouts.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:12:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
don't give a fuck how hot it is, not walking through the bush without long pants.
View Quote

Most brits during WW2 in northern Africa said they were miserable wearing their shorts in the desert.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:43:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I have seen that picture a dozen times over the years and this is the first time I have noticed the son has a G3.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A G3 or a Spanish CETME Modelo C?  Rear sight looks more like a CETME rear sight with the rotating apetures.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:20:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:24:35 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

A G3 or a Spanish CETME Modelo C?  Rear sight looks more like a CETME rear sight with the rotating apetures.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you zoom in it's got the angles for the H&K Diopter sight, not the triangle of the CETME.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:33:58 AM EDT
[#40]
As I understand it the G3s were primarily from Portuguese stocks.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 11:21:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

One interesting fact is that about 80% of the Rhodesian Army was black.  Whites, Asians, and Coloureds were subject to conscription, but Blacks were not.  All of those Blacks were volunteers.

On the other hand, many blacks refused to participate in the process even when they qualified to vote, which did cause political issues.

There's an interesting episode of The Firing Line with Bill Buckley where he goes to Salisbury to interview Ian Smith.  It's free on Amazon Prime.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is very informative.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 12:27:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Yeah !!!!! 4 pages so far.... Let's see if I can't send the OP what an original enlistment package looks like...I'll just change the name at the top...... Still chicken about posting that stuff. It is the inter-net... Hope he can post my 30RD G3 mag. That's coming soon.

The place was never like SA, the TTL's (Tribal Trust Lands) belonged to the Shona and Matabele tribes. Not unlike American Indian reservations. It was never apartheid-like.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 1:08:07 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View Quote
Yup. As the Portuguese were leaving the Rhodesians got a supply of weapons from them.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 1:35:56 PM EDT
[#44]
http://www.amazon.com/Saints-Rhodesian-Light-Infantry/dp/1920143874/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1408988060&sr=1-2&keywords=The+Saints%3A+The+Rhodesian+Light+Infantry

If you want a must have book on the subject pick this one up when it's available. The hardcover is out of print and sells for over 200.00
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 2:48:53 PM EDT
[#45]

Time for a Guessing Game !

Name all the Rhodie Units, that at one time of another, were commanded by Americans.
  And who were they ? Your going to be surprised....

Yes, everybody can use the inter-net or any other source.......
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:39:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Here are some Terrs, I think the mix of equipment is always cool among 60-70s guirilla armies.

There was no challenge to air dominance, but there was a challenge finding CAS aircraft Here is an O2

Here is a Vampire well paster her prime

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:46:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Time for a Guessing Game !

Name all the Rhodie Units, that at one time of another, were commanded by Americans.
  And who were they ? Your going to be surprised....

Yes, everybody can use the inter-net or any other source.......
View Quote

The Armored Corps was commanded by an American, Daren Winkler

Robert MacKenzie commanded the SAS

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:51:05 PM EDT
[#48]
The Chicom Model 22 with the Russian slabside mag is quite nice in the "glum" picture.

It's funny how the west stepped away from Africa, apologizing the whole way, while the real rapists, the Russians, Chinese and just about the entire Warsaw Pact went in and quietly (or not so quietly, as the case may be) helped the local commies loot everything they could find while squealing "western imperialism!"

Irony. How does it work?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:27:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Yup. As the Portuguese were leaving the Rhodesians got a supply of weapons from them.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They also supplied Rhodesia with FALs.

There are also some interesting examples of FALs from when the Katangese government and military remnants fled to Portuguese territory and Northern Rhodesia as the UN invasion finished its conquest in 1963, including some very early examples of FALs which ended up with Southern Rhodesia when the Federation of Rhodesia and Nyasaland broke up shortly afterwards.  Later, FALs from the ANC also ended up in Rhodesia.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:37:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

They have to wear those shorts to cool their giant balls.

ETA: we will have to fight that way in FL during the summer too..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
WHO LIKES SHORT-SHORTS?!

I'm not gonna lie, you gotta be real comfortable with yourself to wear booty shorts into the fuckin jungle.  

They have to wear those shorts to cool their giant balls.

ETA: we will have to fight that way in FL during the summer too..

I ain't!
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top