Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 15
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:46:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do people here not understand war or something? In war... the assets of the person attacking you are generally legit targets...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The ship was a completely legitimate target, and reasonable action for Ukraine. But that said I also was concerned about the reaction from Russia when I saw this. I get his point. I'm not even saying they shouldn't have done it, but it might have consequences. That is all I think you can assume from his post.

Then again if they are trying to play it off as an accidental fire and not an attack from missiles maybe they'll shrug it off to avoid the embarrassment of admitting what happened.

Do people here not understand war or something? In war... the assets of the person attacking you are generally legit targets...

A lot of handwringing around here.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:49:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

That would depend on the missile warhead size and type, and the attack profile, and where exactly it hit.  Modern ASMs aren't built to hit 18 inch hardened cemented armor such as the conning tower of an Iowa class and still function.  Similar story for the belt and face of the turrets.  Superstructure, anywhere not in the armored citidel, and to a lesser degree the decks, tops and sides of turrets are more vulnerable, and things like optics, antennas are still fragile.

Short answer is an Iowa is probably the most resistant exisitng hull against ASMs but I still wouldn't volunteer to get hit by one.  Still could get a mobility kill, firepower kill, or mission kill on it.  They could probably shrug off an Exocet, but a Shipwreck might be another kettle of fish.
View Quote

Good assessment.  And one thing U.S. warships seemed to always prioritize during the modern era was structural integrity to withstand punishment and fire suppression when struck by an enemy.  During WWII that was a lesson not learned by the Japanese carriers vs. U.S. carriers...as well as most combat ships in the Pacific war.  Even our destroyers when hit by kamikazis had an amazing survival rate back then.

On this Russian missle cruiser, having those missiles in tubes out on the deck seems a bit vulnerable to me.  I don't know how volatile those missiles are when hit by some kind of ordnance, but I notice in all the pics of U.S. missile cruisers I see, the missiles appear to be below deck.  Any naval guys know how that shakes out?
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:50:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Are they not doing that now ???
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It could be bad.  The Russians could start indiscriminately shelling cities, killing civilians, and raping the population.

Are they not doing that now ???

That's the joke.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 12:13:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Why no pictures?  Someone should be able and willing to confirm definitively whether it has sunk or not.
View Quote
I mean it's one thing to provide a non nato member with ISR and targeting data on the sly....it's another to take pictures of the strike and publish them.

That might be going a little far.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 12:16:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

They have a carrier  -  it just isn't feeling well right now.

View Quote
They "have" a "carrier" is kind of like saying they have a space shuttle.   They do...but the hanger it is in collapsed on it 2 decades ago and it's currently in another country.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 12:17:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c9/Project_1164_Moskva_2009_G1.jpg/1024px-Project_1164_Moskva_2009_G1.jpg

Moskva (Formerly the SLAVA), is the Cruiser that demanded the Ukrainian Snake Island Garrison surrender - that then received the Fuck You reply back...

Now they received something more than just some "Harsh Language" ...    LOL!!!

BIGGER_HAMMER

View Quote

Cool looking ship though, ngl.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 12:17:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I mean it's one thing to provide a non nato member with ISR and targeting data on the sly....it's another to take pictures of the strike and publish them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why no pictures?  Someone should be able and willing to confirm definitively whether it has sunk or not.

Agreed.  Currently we have "Plausible Deniability" to having given any overt assistance to the Ukrainians in the strike against the Moskva.  

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 12:18:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Two RC-135V's at once is pretty common the last month in the area. The British have one too joining in.
Plus there is an E=8C from time to time.

What is not so usual is that there is a Boeing WC-135 Constant Phoenix airborne over the UK now.
View Quote
It's just sniffing for the dust from the Chernobyl trenches...I've seen it up recently over the continent.

I've seen the new G-5 based rivets up too, they like altitude.    Those crews are certainly getting lots of hours lately.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 12:19:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Good assessment.  And one thing U.S. warships seemed to always prioritize during the modern era was structural integrity to withstand punishment and fire suppression when struck by an enemy.  During WWII that was a lesson not learned by the Japanese carriers vs. U.S. carriers...as well as most combat ships in the Pacific war.  Even our destroyers when hit by kamikazis had an amazing survival rate back then.

On this Russian missle cruiser, having those missiles in tubes out on the deck seems a bit vulnerable to me.  I don't know how volatile those missiles are when hit by some kind of ordnance, but I notice in all the pics of U.S. missile cruisers I see, the missiles appear to be below deck.  Any naval guys know how that shakes out?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would depend on the missile warhead size and type, and the attack profile, and where exactly it hit.  Modern ASMs aren't built to hit 18 inch hardened cemented armor such as the conning tower of an Iowa class and still function.  Similar story for the belt and face of the turrets.  Superstructure, anywhere not in the armored citidel, and to a lesser degree the decks, tops and sides of turrets are more vulnerable, and things like optics, antennas are still fragile.

Short answer is an Iowa is probably the most resistant exisitng hull against ASMs but I still wouldn't volunteer to get hit by one.  Still could get a mobility kill, firepower kill, or mission kill on it.  They could probably shrug off an Exocet, but a Shipwreck might be another kettle of fish.

The Russian and the old Soviet Union’s ships had such low A-sub-Os that they had to pack them with so many weapons they could compensate for ones that did not work.  The ship class is an older design and when it was originally made, the only solution they had for ship killing missiles to conduct battle-group take downs was to basically make develop pilotless kamikazies which meant really big missiles which required large launch containers.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 12:20:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Float anomaly
View Quote
negative buoyancy transient
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 12:22:22 PM EDT
[#11]
The idea that a Russian flag ship missile cruiser has to send an SOS via Morse code on HF is ridiculous.

I call bull shit, but if true then the Russian military is more of  a joke than I suspected.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 12:25:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That's the joke.
View Quote

I know.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 12:26:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The idea that a Russian flag ship missile cruiser has to send an SOS via Morse code on HF is ridiculous.

I call bull shit, but if true then the Russian military is more of  a joke than I suspected.
View Quote
I would have thought that all the ground units would have something similar to SINCGARS too but there were fairly credible (I think) audio of russian troops using clear voice radio.  

I think the Russians saw the first gulf war and decided then and there that conventional warfare wasn't worth the rubles.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 12:26:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
There just happened to be an NATO surveillance plane in the area...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/114465/resources__1__jpg-2347945_jpeg-2348126.JPG
View Quote

Has been since the beginning of the war.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 12:29:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Shock effect probably knocked out some of their communicates and that is probably their secondary or tertiary.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 12:30:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I would have thought that all the ground units would have something similar to SINCGARS too but there were fairly credible (I think) audio of russian troops using clear voice radio.  

I think the Russians saw the first gulf war and decided then and there that conventional warfare wasn't worth the rubles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Software definable radios has made SINCGARS type radios obsolete.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 12:35:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very possible.

I gave a tour and static display of an F15 to a bunch of Russian generals after the first gulf war. I talked to the supreme commander of Russian strategic air forces and he confided in me that they were all shocked to see CNN news showing our precision capability in hitting ground targets, specific doors and windows, they had no idea we had that capability and were so far ahead of Russian capability, and they were very glad they never went to war with us in Europe because the US would have slaughtered Soviet forces

Don’t know if he was being truthful, but that is what he personally told me.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 12:36:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
They "have" a "carrier" is kind of like saying they have a space shuttle.   They do...but the hanger it is in collapsed on it 2 decades ago and it's currently in another country.
View Quote

It's a giant piece of shit.  If burns some heavy residual tars left over from the refinery process, it's what we would call Bunker C Oil but way worse.  Its basically toxic sludge left over from one of their refineries.  It is drydock for repairs and I doubt the have they money to get it operational again.

Edit: Second image was Fake News...

Russia STRONK. (cough, cough)
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 12:37:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Software definable radios has made SINCGARS type radios obsolete.
View Quote
yes, but the point wasn't the specific hardware it was the lack of encryption.  SINCGARS is just being phased out now, L3 just got the contract last month.

Regardless, a military operating at any reasonable level of competence has had encrypted comms for...decades.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 12:41:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It's a giant piece of shit.  If burns some heavy residual tars left over from the refinery process, it's what we would call Bunker C Oil but way worse.  Its basically toxic sludge left over from one of their refineries.  It is drydock for repairs and I doubt the have they money to get it operational again.

https://thebarentsobserver.com/sites/default/files/styles/full_width/public/kuzze_in_smoke.jpeg?itok=7Y1z-j6T

https://external-preview.redd.it/09Z95r-HOmVI3pcb_5agQQPaNl62WGUA2zSNn3liE4U.png?auto=webp&s=85c13928fd82af3b6b7ed14ec6f7bd5f4f086e18

View Quote
Didn't it catch fire and sink in the dry dock?   It's a biscuit.  it's dead Jim.  It has as much chance of sailing again under it's own power as the Buran has of reaching orbit...probably less.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 12:42:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

On this Russian missle cruiser, having those missiles in tubes out on the deck seems a bit vulnerable to me.
View Quote

I'd rather have them blow up there than In a confined compartment partially below the water line!

The open sky is a place for some of the explosive forces to go other than through a deck, bulkhead, or hull plate.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 12:43:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
There are 2 rivets up right now.  I've not seen that before.  One just on the coast of Romania and one looking at kaliningrad.  E-3s up too.

I think those assets are the most important thing NATO is doing for Ukraine.    Doesn't matter what weapons you have if you can't target them.
View Quote

Early in the start it was not uncommon to see a rivet joint (how does iPhone want to change that to robot???) to the north and one to the south by the Black Sea.  One USAF and one RAF.   And then some awacs and a JSTARS.  

Looks like the one in the south is heading home now
Either they keep a lower profile with the night relief flights, or the orcs don’t fight much at night.  So they give it a break as the sun goes down over there.  

Global hawk didn’t show back up from what I could tell.   Maybe stilll way up there watching.   Hoping that ship rolls over it it hasn’t yet.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 12:46:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 12:47:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

https://thebarentsobserver.com/sites/default/files/styles/full_width/public/kuzze_in_smoke.jpeg?itok=7Y1z-j6T

https://external-preview.redd.it/09Z95r-HOmVI3pcb_5agQQPaNl62WGUA2zSNn3liE4U.png?auto=webp&s=85c13928fd82af3b6b7ed14ec6f7bd5f4f086e18

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is feature, comrade.  Big carrier make own smoke screen, for sneak up and make surprise attack on unsuspecting dogface!  
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 12:48:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Early in the start it was not uncommon to see a rivet joint (how does iPhone want to change that to robot???) to the north and one to the south by the Black Sea.  One USAF and one RAF.   And then some awacs and a JSTARS.  

Looks like the one in the south is heading home now
Either they keep a lower profile with the night relief flights, or the orcs don't fight much at night.  So they give it a break as the sun goes down over there.  

Global hawk didn't show back up from what I could tell.   Maybe stilll way up there watching.   Hoping that ship rolls over it it hasn't yet.
View Quote
My assumption is that there are several assets that don't broadcast ADS-B while on station.  Often I see tankers headed to or orbiting areas where no other assets appear to be operating.  I don't think we would send kc-135s to an area just to burn holes in the sky if they didn't have prospective customers....but maybe...certainly the S2 staff at whatever squadron can use the various ADS-B apps as well as we can.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 12:50:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well the dry dock sunk while it had the carrier in it for repairs, and a crane on the dry dock fell onto the deck when it sank or keeled over.   They’re supposed to sink but evenly.   It went over bad to one side.  

Anyways, for the longest time of you looked up google eart or bing satellite maps, and checked out russian ports and shipyards , it seems like there are as many ships on their sides as upright alongside piers/docks.   What a shitpile the place is
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 12:50:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Very possible.

I gave a tour and static display of an F15 to a bunch of Russian generals after the first gulf war. I talked to the supreme commander of Russian strategic air forces and he confided in me that they were all shocked to see CNN news showing our precision capability in hitting ground targets, specific doors and windows, they had no idea we had that capability and were so far ahead of Russian capability, and they were very glad they never went to war with us in Europe because the US would have slaughtered Soviet forces

View Quote

I had a similar experience showing them our Load Barn at Ramstein. They made comments like:

“You are all so professional and look the same. You must all be officers.”

It was E5s and below giving the tour. They were also shocked by the cleanliness of the facility and aircraft.

They got to look at our training WPNs and asked about those under covers. They didn’t get the covers removed.

This was part of a START compliance inspection.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 12:51:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Russian Carrier self generates STRONK directional beacon to aircraftskis to find shipski.    Pilots can find way back from many many kilometers away...

Also functional wind direction gauge to assist pilots on attempts to land...

Much more Robust & combat capable Russian system than effete Americans relying on high tech delicate electronics.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 12:53:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I had a similar experience showing them our Load Barn at Ramstein. They made comments like:

"You are all so professional and look the same. You must all be officers."

It was E5s and below giving the tour. They were also shocked by the cleanliness of the facility and aircraft.

They got to look at our training WPNs and asked about those under covers. They didn't get the covers removed.

View Quote
The early 90s was a helluva eye opener for the Russians.  I would have said fuck it after that and focused on strategic systems as well.  There was no catching up at that point.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 12:54:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Never forget the USS Franklin. What a testament to the ship and a valiant crew.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 12:54:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Niet comrade, fire extinguished by seawater.
View Quote

Yeah sinking the ship sure put the fire out lol.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 12:58:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Modern warships aren't really armored anymore.  Putting the missiles below deck may give some advantage from smaller calibers, but any serious hit, like from a ASM of any size, is likely to punch through and blow up what it hits.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 1:01:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Looks more like she's burning cheap coal.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 1:03:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I believe that second picture is a fake photoshop.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe that second picture is a fake photoshop.

Yep, photoshop of the Deep Water Horizon fire.

Link Posted: 4/14/2022 1:03:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Looks more like she's burning cheap coal.
View Quote
Doesn't look like nut coal. That's for sure.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 1:07:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
Sunk to the 'bottom of the Black Sea.' As opposed to what? The side of the Mediterranean?

m
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 1:09:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Didn't it catch fire and sink in the dry dock?  
View Quote

Also a couple years back it caught fire and they had trouble putting it out, so they sunk it intentionally to extinguish the fire.

Hard being scared of a military with only one carrier, that is basically a prison sentence for its crew.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 1:09:31 PM EDT
[#38]
UPDATED: Pentagon Says Damaged Russian Navy Cruiser Underway Toward Black Sea Homeport
https://news.usni.org/2022/04/13/russian-navy-confirms-severe-damage-to-black-sea-cruiser-moskva-crew-abandoned-ship
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 1:10:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Modern warships aren't really armored anymore.  Putting the missiles below deck may give some advantage from smaller calibers, but any serious hit, like from a ASM of any size, is likely to punch through and blow up what it hits.
View Quote

I saw images of the construction of a Zumwalt class destroyer posted here some years ago.

The hull looked paper thin. Like some kid with a BB gun could punch through it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 1:11:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Dupe.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 1:12:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

They got to look at our training WPNs and asked about those under covers. They didn’t get the covers removed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very possible.

Doesn’t surprise me at all.

In the mid 1980s as a young fighter pilot who got to sit in some of their fighters, it quickly became apparent at how much their top of the line equipment was pure dogshit. If was nice to know if I ever faced Russian equipment and Russian pilots based on their known policies, the odds were very heavily stacked in my favor.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 1:14:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 1:17:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Doesn’t surprise me at all.

In the mid 1980s as a young fighter pilot who got to sit in some of their fighters, it quickly became apparent at how much their top of the line equipment was pure dogshit. If was nice to know if I ever faced Russian equipment and Russian pilots based on their known policies, the odds were very heavily stacked in my favor.
View Quote

All the rough edges really grabs ones attention.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 1:26:54 PM EDT
[#44]
All it takes is one stupid mistake to fuck shit up. Remember the McCain Forrestal thing. One small errant missile caught everyone with their pants down.

Everyone could have been on a tea break thinking the dumbass Ukrainians couldn't do shit. Someone panics, starts a small fire which suddenly gets out of control. Any one of a million scenarios, where the damn thing catches fire and explodes.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 1:28:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some of our WWII destroyers took an amazing amount of punishment.

U.S.S. Aaron Ward

Attachment Attached File

1 Near miss crash. Engine and propeller hit Mt. 3.
2 ZEKE hit Mt. 44. 2B Bomb blew out side after engineroom.
3 Near miss crash damaged rigging and No. 1 stack.
4 VAL hit main deck, frame 81.
4B Near miss bomb blew in side forward fireroom.
5 VAL crashed deckhouse, frame 90.
6 Plane hit after stack.
6B Bomb detonated in after uptakes.

This Saturday April 16th marks the 77th anniversary of the ordeal of the U.S.S. Laffey, "The Ship That Wouldn't Die."

During the 80-minute attack, Laffey had shot down at least eight aircraft and damaged the six kamikaze that hit her. Moreover, she had been damaged by four direct bombs hits (plus bombs carried by the kamikaze). Laffey’s heroic crew suffered 32 dead and 71 (or 72) wounded.

“No! I’ll never abandon ship as long as a single gun will fire!”

—Commander Frederick J. Becton, commanding officer, USS Laffey (DD-724), 16 April 1945

https://www.history.navy.mil/about-us/leadership/director/directors-corner/h-grams/h-gram-045/h-045-1.html#:~:text=During%20the%2080%2Dminute%20attack,71%20
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 1:29:03 PM EDT
[#46]
I am disappointed that the ship hasn't sunk yet.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 1:29:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
From Reddit

Russian ship intercepted Ukrainian missiles, Russia confirms the missiles were destroyed on impact!
View Quote
Okay, that is funny.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 1:32:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Well the dry dock sunk while it had the carrier in it for repairs, and a crane on the dry dock fell onto the deck when it sank or keeled over.   They’re supposed to sink but evenly.   It went over bad to one side.  

Anyways, for the longest time of you looked up google eart or bing satellite maps, and checked out russian ports and shipyards , it seems like there are as many ships on their sides as upright alongside piers/docks.   What a shitpile the place is
View Quote

Well, communism and socialism are just excuses for a ruling class to loot an entire country.   When everyone is corrupt as fuck and spend all their time stealing public resources to line their own pockets, it makes sense that their military expenditures would basically be wasted.   They've made a good living selling second rate equipment to dictators who need to oppress the locals and keep their neighbors at bay, but it seems like the reality of the russian military and their equipment is a far cry from their hype.

The real question is whether the chinese are similarly crappy or if they've been able to produce functional copies of western equipment.   Or if they know what to do with it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 1:32:55 PM EDT
[#49]
so who called the hit on the russian ship first,did ukraine say yea we hit a ship or russia admit to an accident on board first????
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 1:34:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Didn't it catch fire and sink in the dry dock?   It's a biscuit.  it's dead Jim.  It has as much chance of sailing again under it's own power as the Buran has of reaching orbit...probably less.
View Quote

Yeah, they might mount the Buran on the turret of a T-72.
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top