Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 12:49:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Meh, ISIS killed or captured several Turkish Leopard 2s. It happens.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/132244/17F6E86D-D052-4946-B226-4BD037BDE28D_jpe-2845135.JPG
View Quote

I didn't know western tanks popped their tops too.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 12:50:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

The turrets are just held in by gravity.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 12:50:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Why does every article/tweet need to be written with such sensationalism?

“For the first time…”

Oh yeah, because it fans the flames of its base.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 12:51:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The turrets are just held in by gravity.
View Quote
yes but western ammo storage practices typically reduce the likelihood of a big enough explosion to launch a turret that weighs 20 tons.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 12:52:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

They're doing exactly what the Russians were doing that we make fun of. Just sending armor down the road with no supporting arms. They could easily have had MANPADs, Gepards, BUKs and and such to deal with aerial threats.
View Quote

Somebody hasn't been watching all the Lancet videos the last few months.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 12:54:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Scary Stuff right there. I am guessing the anti air capability of the Ukrainian advancing force is somewhere between subpar to nonexistent.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It doesn't look good, but when you are getting missiles thrown at you from 10km away, nothing looks good.

https://www.reddit.com/r/UkraineRussiaReport/comments/1451hru/ru_pov_ka52_hits_and_destroys_active_ukrainian/

Scary Stuff right there. I am guessing the anti air capability of the Ukrainian advancing force is somewhere between subpar to nonexistent.

Somewhat that, but most of the problem is that attack helis fit in a sweet spot.  They can easily out range or maneuver SHORAD, destroy an entire column in 5min and leave.

The only real defense is fighter cover which is a huge extra risk to add to the fight.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 12:54:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Speed can be a type of security
View Quote

This guy gets it. Where the Abrams is superior to other tanks is moving cross country at 40mph.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 12:57:44 PM EDT
[#8]
They got one of each.

One.

Good job?
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 12:58:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Meh, ISIS killed or captured several Turkish Leopard 2s. It happens.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/132244/17F6E86D-D052-4946-B226-4BD037BDE28D_jpe-2845135.JPG

Leo 2's have hull storage ammo, not just bustle rack.

It would be wise to not leave a full load of ammo, if any at all, in the hull when in combat.

Its notable that none of the western vehicles appear to have catastrophically self destructed.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 1:00:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've genuinely wondered why people keep harping on this?

As shitty as Russian tactics are, the West knows its going to lose a good bit of equipment in this offensive.
View Quote

The amateurs and know-nothings think everything made in the West is invincible. Experience is a vital asset and there is only one way to get it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 1:02:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Did the ukes bunch up in that vid? Rookie mistake or couldn't move quick enough?
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 1:03:37 PM EDT
[#12]
We'll see a lot of western equipment burning by the time this is over. They have to take Zaphorizhzhia to win the war. If they have to lose some tanks/APCs/IFVs to do it, that's a price worth paying. Knocking Crimea out of the war shortens the lines a lot.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 1:04:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Look how much equipment we lost in Afghanistan in the last 3 years
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 1:07:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Oryx has tallied photographic proof of 2000 Russian tanks lost
View Quote

2023***
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 1:07:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Look how much equipment we lost in Afghanistan in the last 3 years
View Quote

Very little.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 1:07:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Its going to happen. Now whether they were death by turret pop or just disabled mechanically and abandoned are 2 different things.

I wouldnt mind seeing what a platoon of current US spec M1A2s would do against Soviet armor.
View Quote

If you put a trained and combat experienced US tank battalion with a command staff that really knows what they're doing in M60's they'll fuck shit up.  

It's more about the indian than the arrow.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 1:08:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If you put a trained and combat experienced US tank battalion with a command staff that really knows what they're doing in M60's they'll fuck shit up.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Its going to happen. Now whether they were death by turret pop or just disabled mechanically and abandoned are 2 different things.

I wouldnt mind seeing what a platoon of current US spec M1A2s would do against Soviet armor.

My thinking as well. US crews, planning and leadership would take a giant shit on Russian forces.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 1:09:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Does anyone have any proof of this because I am hearing even the Russians are saying it is not true, and analyst say the pictures looked more like harvesting combines.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 1:10:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
They got one of each.

One.

Good job?
View Quote

https://www.reddit.com/gallery/1455t6v

Link Posted: 6/9/2023 1:13:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Does anyone have any proof of this because I am hearing even the Russians are saying it is not true, and analyst say the pictures looked more like harvesting combines.
View Quote

They did blow up combines a few days ago and called them tanks, but these are real losses.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 1:15:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm all good with knowing tanks, IFVs are going to be destroyed. But at least do so using proper doctrine. Rolling down the road, in broad daylight, closely packed together is not going to cut it.

View Quote

I agree. I hesitate to outguess them but they knew there was a minefield to one side and a hedgerow on the other, with Russian drones in the area. It was an obvious trap. What I can't see is if there were other alternate routes or tactics that could have been used. Armor is not my thing. My job was to make huge mushroom clouds and level targets in one blast.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 1:17:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

My thinking as well. US crews, planning and leadership would take a giant shit on Russian forces.
View Quote

Being mech in the last decade, even mediocre armored leaders could conduct better warfare than anyone east of the Danube.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 1:25:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

They did blow up combines a few days ago and called them tanks, but these are real losses.
View Quote

Thanks for the clarification
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 1:25:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly - aside of raw number advantage, it's the better tactics and the better plan that win armor battles much more than the sophistication of the tanks themselves. The Yom Kippur war for example.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 1:45:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Russian soldiers are forcing POWs to unlock their phones. I hope there is no useful data on those devices, and I pray those POWs are being treated humanely.

Link Posted: 6/9/2023 1:48:08 PM EDT
[#26]
I watched an analysis of one of these losses. The person was breaking down how, based on the make-up of vehicles and the tactics seen, the Ukrainians are trying to use old Soviet tactics with modern Western equipment, and they weren't sure how that would play out.

They also were baffled as to why Ukraine is staging these armor columns under Russia's artillery umbrella rather than staging them outside of artillery range. Basically was saying Ukraine is throwing away good equipment by doing that.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 1:49:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I watched an analysis of one of these losses. The person was breaking down how, based on the make-up of vehicles and the tactics seen, the Ukrainians are trying to use old Soviet tactics with modern Western equipment, and they weren't sure how that would play out.

They also were baffled as to why Ukraine is staging these armor columns under Russia's artillery umbrella rather than staging them outside of artillery range. Basically was saying Ukraine is throwing away good equipment by doing that.
View Quote

They're not really paying for it, except with bodies so...
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 1:54:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Things get destroyed in war, who knew?!
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 1:56:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Somewhat that, but most of the problem is that attack helis fit in a sweet spot.  They can easily out range or maneuver SHORAD, destroy an entire column in 5min and leave.

The only real defense is fighter cover which is a huge extra risk to add to the fight.
View Quote

And that’s why Ukraine needed F16’s and a competent SEAD/DEAD campaign a year ago, and needs to gain air superiority. It’s the massive difference between the way USA/NATO would fight this war, and a country with limited resources
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 1:58:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

lol Did you all even watch the videos in the OP?

Link Posted: 6/9/2023 2:00:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

@zander712
That’s 2 different videos. You’re thinking of the video where an attack helo blows up a farm of John Deere’s and the Russians claimed it was leopards. This video, the column of tanks is bunched up in daylight, gets hit by AT mines and artillery spotted by drone
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 2:00:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

And that’s why Ukraine needed F16’s and a competent SEAD/DEAD campaign a year ago, and needs to gain air superiority. It’s the massive difference between the way USA/NATO would fight this war, and a country with limited resources
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That simply isn't happen without US people doing it.  No one this planet does it but us and Ukraine barely has an air force in the first place.

Link Posted: 6/9/2023 2:01:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
When is this going to end??
View Quote

When I do not know, how I can help.

With the whole place destroyed, Zelenskyy living in a villa in Switzerland, the U.S. taxpayer picking up the cost and surplus supplies hitting the E.E.

Link Posted: 6/9/2023 2:08:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Did the ukes bunch up in that vid? Rookie mistake or couldn't move quick enough?
View Quote
It's a mine field. Two tanks visible with plows but maybe missed one and disabled the 2A6. Brads maybe tried to go around and hit mines too.

What you don't see is the successful route to the side that made it through. There's 100% a reason russia/pro russia TG is only pushing this particular instance.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 2:18:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
There's 100% a reason russia/pro russia TG is only pushing this particular instance.
View Quote

Ukraine is mostly having huge victories along the front -> Russia gets this one victory -> Russia spams this one video for moral/demoral/whatever -> One possibility

Ukraine tried only this one attack -> Russia gets this victory -> It's the only video of anything happening, so they post it up -> Another possibility

I say "one possibility" loosely, because Ukraine slaying Russians up and down the front without telling us would be a little weird.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 2:51:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 2:54:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Equipment losses are expected in war no?
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 2:56:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Can you believe that!!!?!?!?!

4 days in an Russia wiped out the Ukrainian counteroffensive of 2 Leopards and 4 Bradley’s!

Ukrainian is finished!
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 2:59:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Can you believe that!!!?!?!?!

4 days in an Russia wiped out the Ukrainian counteroffensive of 2 Leopards and 4 Bradley’s!

Ukrainian is finished!
View Quote

I know you are not a real RuskieBro a real RuskieBro would have said "The Ukrainian".  
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 3:00:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Won't say where, but I've been in .mil forums saying that as well. They're using Soviet armor doctrine still. *fucking face palm*
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 3:04:11 PM EDT
[#41]
That shows pretty poor tactics, I thought they were better than that with all the training they have recieved.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 3:05:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Bradley's are not really a "heavy".

Correct me if O am wrong, but I don't believe an Abrams was ever taken out by enemy fire.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 3:13:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Correct me if O am wrong, but I don't believe an Abrams was ever taken out by enemy fire.
View Quote

Plenty of Iraqi and Egyptian Abrams have been taken out
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 3:20:04 PM EDT
[#44]
what's the kill ratio?
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 3:20:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
They used their best armor for an unmanned probing attack?  

Bullshit. even Ukrainians don't believe that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Word is that Ukraine has been using remote controlled vehicles for probing attacks of the frontline, so there are no troops inside and that's why they seem abandoned. The counteroffensive hasn't started officially yet
They used their best armor for an unmanned probing attack?  

Bullshit. even Ukrainians don't believe that.

This!
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 3:20:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

You'll see a ton of knocked out Abrams using the kind the kind of "doctrine " these units are using.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 3:23:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Word is that Ukraine has been using remote controlled vehicles for probing attacks of the frontline, so there are no troops inside and that's why they seem abandoned. The counteroffensive hasn't started officially yet
View Quote

You need to find a better "word."
A more realistic Word is that things are quite a bit different on the ground than most here believe.

Link Posted: 6/9/2023 3:25:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because they are stupid…
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 3:26:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I know you are not a real RuskieBro a real RuskieBro would have said "The Ukrainian".  
View Quote

“The Ukraine”
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 3:32:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
They didn't.

It was fucking dumb.   Bunched up on the only un-mined path through an open field and a rus drone called in arty fire.
View Quote

Probably left lane campers.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top