BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 17
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 11:23:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Correct. The Mantis quest reward is the Razorleaf, which is an okay upgrade to the starter ship, but outclassed by the reward from the Ranger quest line.

The Mantis quest also rewards a really good space suit, helmet, and booster pack. It also doesn’t take nearly as long to complete as the Ranger quests.
View Quote

The Mantis quest is next on my list. I was suprised how long the Free Star Ranger quest line was. I probably added several hours by being a massive hoarder though.  My current space suit is pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 12:06:38 PM EDT
[#2]
The Mantis bugged for me. I run through it, hit the lever to raise the ship...and nothing happens. I've done it three times with the same result.

I had an issue with leaving the Key after taking the shuttle, maybe because I acquired another ship that I heavily customized (now the bay hatch is inaccessible btw). The shuttle was still at the dock and I couldn't get to my ship, but switching my active ship back to the Frontier fixed it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 12:08:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I rolled up onto a ship being raided by three other ships near Procyon I.  I diverted power to weapons and shields and all I could here on the comms were "OMG do not kill us Mantis!  We're sorry"  just before all hostile ships grav-jumped out.

I did not expect that.  I am in the Razorleaf.

Also save all those suits with different traits.  Nothing sucks more than constant frostbite because your current suit has crap for thermal protections.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 12:12:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Also save all those suits with different traits.  Nothing sucks more than constant frostbite because your current suit has crap for thermal protections.
View Quote
Yeah, it makes no sense that a spacesuit has no thermal or airborne protection.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 12:54:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I could be wrong, I have yet to do the Mantis quest so I'm not sure what the reward is, but the Eagle ship most refer to, is picked up on the Free Star Ranger quest line, which is a fun one and we'll worth the effort.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool. This is the eagle ship right?

I could be wrong, I have yet to do the Mantis quest so I'm not sure what the reward is, but the Eagle ship most refer to, is picked up on the Free Star Ranger quest line, which is a fun one and we'll worth the effort.

Ah cool, there's multiple free ships then. Not bad.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 12:56:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool. This is the eagle ship right?

There are at least a few. Here's another one:

ETA: may contain main story spoilers from a little way into the main story
How To Get A Free Class-C Ship In Starfield
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 1:49:08 PM EDT
[#7]
While we are talking about ships. Anyone know where the access point for the cargo is on the Eagle? I know you can use your inventory screen, but I'm curious if there is a computer onboard to access it like there is on the starter ship.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:06:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
While we are talking about ships. Anyone know where the access point for the cargo is on the Eagle? I know you can use your inventory screen, but I'm curious if there is a computer onboard to access it like there is on the starter ship.
View Quote

All ships have a computer to access the hold in the cockpit area. Sometimes it's next to the Captain's Locker, but not always.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:09:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

All ships have a computer to access the hold in the cockpit area. Sometimes it's next to the Captain's Locker, but not always.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a green computer-y square.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 4:57:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, I got a game-breaking bug.
After rescuing Barrett I did the Crimson Fleet mission, then I went to the Lodge and he's supposed to walk in and do whatever but he's stuck somewhere and I can't find him.

This is my 3rd major bug. I might just have to reinstall but I think this playthrough is fubar.

Link Posted: 9/3/2023 5:19:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Well, I got a game-breaking bug.
After rescuing Barrett I did the Crimson Fleet mission, then I went to the Lodge and he's supposed to walk in and do whatever but he's stuck somewhere and I can't find him.

This is my 3rd major bug. I might just have to reinstall but I think this playthrough is fubar.

View Quote

That sucks

I haven't encountered anything major yet, just a few minor ones.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 5:30:28 PM EDT
[#12]
No quest stoppers or crashes yet, just the usual Bethesda polish.

I see a lot of minor clipping / positional bugs (enemies inside a floor or ten feet above it, really janky interactions with the wildlife, etc.) and a lot of interface bugs (constantly showing your companion's name like you are aiming the scanner at them but they aren't in front of you, scanner not reading resources, and drill tool not mining resources unless you are the perfect range away and at the right angle).

I've also noticed just like Skyrim and Fallout the enemy AI will be shooting at you then suddenly forget you are there, put away their weapon and just look off into the distance until you shoot them then out comes the weapon again and they re-engage.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 6:13:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I have about 12 hours into it. It's a solid Bethesda RPG. I like it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 7:03:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, it's what I expected.

To be honest, it should be better than it is, but it's a good game overall, IMO. I'd still rate Skyrim higher, but Skyrim isn't in space.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 7:32:00 PM EDT
[#15]
I’m level 15 and having fun with it.

Just finished the free star rangers quest line and got the ship, which is a massive improvement over the starting ship.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 8:23:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

To be honest, it should be better than it is, but it's a good game overall, IMO. I'd still rate Skyrim higher, but Skyrim isn't in space.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's tough for me to be objective because I slightly prefer sci-fi to fantasy, and I'm still early in Starfield, but I think I like it better than Skyrim.

"it should be better than it is"
I agree with that. There are a number of very minor things that could be done better that they've never done right - Skyrim gets a pass because they should have fixed that stuff by now.

My biggest complaint is probably the AI. I'm definitely playing solo next time; the AI of the companions sucks when you're trying to sneak around, and they walk in front of you to engage the enemy. Or just walk in front of you when you're actively shooting an enemy.
They're great loot mules though

My 2nd biggest complaint is the locked-in combat focus of the game. I'd love to play as an explorer, but many non-combat skills require combat to level - and then take skill points better spent in a combat skill. A system that allowed you to level combat and non-combat abilities simultaneously would probably work better.
One might argue, "it's not that kind of game," and that's fine, but there are a ton of non-combat abilities for it to be "not that kind of game."

The game is amazing, I just wish it was more amazing.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 8:39:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Link Posted: 9/3/2023 8:50:57 PM EDT
[#18]

Sweet!

I used a semi-auto, long-barrel version with a silencer and reflex sight for a long time until I finally got something better.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 9:34:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks to @null_and_void sending me a console command I can continue the main quest.

Link Posted: 9/3/2023 11:16:13 PM EDT
[#20]
I just wish there was a way to light up the scope reticles.  They tend to disappear in the inky blackness of space.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 12:07:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Did the mantis quest and found a legendary mini gun.

Mantis was way shorter than the rangers quest line
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 1:49:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Starfield pilot proves fast travel isn’t needed after 7 hour flight to Pluto

"Fun fact about this whole thing that I’ll cover in depth in a YouTube video tomorrow: I had to set a timer to wake up every 30 minutes in order to re-adjust because planets are in some sort of actual ORBIT??? Also had a day/night cycle based on sun position (obviously)."
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 3:55:34 AM EDT
[#23]
For those that joined the UC vanguard. How many levels did you complete in your pilot simulator? And how many years did they tell you it would take to be a citizen? I am curious is it's all just scripted dialogue or if it really does boost your progress.

I left some after 4 levels and they told me 10 years of service to be a citizen.

The recruiter guy also noted that I watched all the backstory videos in the hall where elevator to the simulator is. Not sure if that means something or just dialogue.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 6:43:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the main thing that is missing is the soundtrack, it is very, very “meh” and unmemorable.

Soundtracks in movies and games are a very big part of the emotional attachment you feel towards events.

If you watch a movie without the soundtrack, you realize the action sequences aren’t as exciting or the sad emotional scenes aren’t as heart tugging.

The soundtrack for Starfield is forgettable, I wouldn’t even recognize the title track if you played it right now.

Skyrims (all elder scrolls actually) soundtrack is absolutely gorgeous and if you heard a song from it even years after last playing it, you immediately go back into the game mentally.

They never should have fired Jeremy Soule.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 8:00:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I think the main thing that is missing is the soundtrack, it is very, very “meh” and unmemorable.

Soundtracks in movies and games are a very big part of the emotional attachment you feel towards events.

If you watch a movie without the soundtrack, you realize the action sequences aren’t as exciting or the sad emotional scenes aren’t as heart tugging.

The soundtrack for Starfield is forgettable, I wouldn’t even recognize the title track if you played it right now.

Skyrims (all elder scrolls actually) soundtrack is absolutely gorgeous and if you heard a song from it even years after last playing it, you immediately go back into the game mentally.

They never should have fired Jeremy Soule.
View Quote

I want to see if I can add I. The OST from EVE online. That was an epic OST for a space sim. But eve online has a lot of waiting/mining/traveling. And ambiance in the music was king. Not sure starfield works as well with that or not.

EVE Online best music (game soundtrack) part 1
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 8:17:56 AM EDT
[#26]
The general presentation of the Starfield soundtrack makes me think of films like Prometheus and Alien, as it has this lilting, almost operatic quality... which is perfect for a slower paced exploration game but really feels out of place in the more kinetic combat moments. It makes me think more of Morrowind than any other Bethesda game, as Morrowind also had this slow, wandering soundtrack that lacked the bombast of Skyrim or Fallout.

It could also be that we simply haven't played it long enough for the soundtrack to imbed itself in our psyche like the others. I mean, I hear that Skyrim and Fallout "level up" measure in my head still to this day.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 8:48:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
For those that joined the UC vanguard. How many levels did you complete in your pilot simulator? And how many years did they tell you it would take to be a citizen? I am curious is it's all just scripted dialogue or if it really does boost your progress.

I left some after 4 levels and they told me 10 years of service to be a citizen.

The recruiter guy also noted that I watched all the backstory videos in the hall where elevator to the simulator is. Not sure if that means something or just dialogue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I got 3/6 levels and he gave me the 10 years of service line.

This is my video of some gameplay and the timestamp for talking to the recruiting guy is at 1:12:00

What lies in the depths of New Atlantis? #starfield #starfieldgame

(Mods, if it's a problem for me to post videos, just let me know and I'll delete the link)

Quoted:
The general presentation of the Starfield soundtrack makes me think of films like Prometheus and Alien, as it has this lilting, almost operatic quality... which is perfect for a slower paced exploration game but really feels out of place in the more kinetic combat moments. It makes me think more of Morrowind than any other Bethesda game, as Morrowind also had this slow, wandering soundtrack that lacked the bombast of Skyrim or Fallout.

It could also be that we simply haven't played it long enough for the soundtrack to imbed itself in our psyche like the others. I mean, I hear that Skyrim and Fallout "level up" measure in my head still to this day.

I agree, it's very operatic and doesn't give with the cities or combat.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 11:27:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

5/6 and 5 years. Also got paid 7500.

Level 6 is kind of nuts. I was trying to play hide and seek around a big asteroid, but there were just too many of them.

I only have 2 skill points in piloting and nothing else, though.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 11:47:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I can live without a minimap... mostly because it isn't like there is anything of any real importance that requires you to navigate with any sort of specificity in the game so far for me. Just huuuuuuuuuuge empty spaces full of iron or lead with the occasional ship landing site or facility full of goons. Oh and the literal exact same cave like four times in a row now. I swear I have cave deja vu every time I enter one.

My complaint for the day is the companion Sarah. Bitch... SHUT... UP. Shut up, and clear my fucking field of fire. I swear, if you walk in front of my sights or berate me for picking up food cubes or resources one more fucking time.
View Quote

I was working on the reloading skill.   Shoot, reload, shoot, repeat at a shooting range.  She moved in front of me and got shot in the head...  
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 11:49:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I took the Wanted trait, and it's pretty fun. Bounty hunters will just show up randomly and attack you. Free loot

I boarded one of their ships and they begged me to spare them. I wish I could have sent them out the airlock, but they got a bullet instead.

I'd really like to see a future Starfield-type game have less of a focus on combat. There are a lot of skills that seemingly have nothing to do with combat that still require killing x number/type of bad guys. At the same time, there are a bunch of non-combat skills I'll love to take, but the game is too combat-focused to spare the points early in the game.

No recycle system.

I wish there was a minimap. Navigating cities is a pain. I keep jumping a long distance just so I can go to a city where I know my way around and can easily find the shops. I'd also like to have a search bar when selecting destinations, so I don't have to remember which system contains a particular planet. I'm sure a wiki will be populated with that info soon enough.

All companions walk into your field of fire. I tried giving one a long-range rifle thinking he'd hang back...nope, motherfucker is doing CQB with 4ft rifle.

I'll probably do that next time.
View Quote

The lack of some sort of a recycling system bugs the hell out of me.  so many extra weapons and space suits.    If I could hit z to scrap them, or maybe throw them in the recycler when I walk in the space ship it would be great.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 12:11:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Level 6 is kind of nuts. I was trying to play hide and seek around a big asteroid, but there were just too many of them.

View Quote

I'm pretty terrible at the flying combat and not enjoying it to be honest. The controls are clunky, IMO.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 12:28:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'm pretty terrible at the flying combat and not enjoying it to be honest. The controls are clunky, IMO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm enjoying it, but yes, the controls are clunky.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 12:40:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I'm enjoying it, but yes, the controls are clunky.
View Quote

I'll probably enjoy it more once I get some upgrades and some more practice.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 1:13:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm not a fan of the ship combat so far, it's like 18th century naval combat in space, a slug fest. The trying to survive the one big space battle in the Freestar Rangers quest line is a down right bitch in the stock Frontier ship.

Link Posted: 9/4/2023 1:39:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'm not a fan of the ship combat so far, it's like 18th century naval combat in space, a slug fest. The trying to survive the one big space battle in the Freestar Rangers quest line is a down right bitch in the stock Frontier ship.

View Quote

I haven't upgraded my Frontier, either. I'm going to watch a tutorial on it, because I don't get it lol.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 2:07:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was definitely tough in the starter ship.

If you don't have any points in ship skills, it will be even tougher. I recommend at least 1 point in Target Control Systems, because it slows down time and lets you target specific ship systems - or just dump damage and blow the ships up...I guess it's similar to VATS. Wait until their shields are down before engaging it, though.

It also doesn't have to be a slug fest. I try to avoid jousting, and boost at an oblique angle to avoid as much damage as possible during the merge, then 1/2 throttle and maneuver to the rear of an enemy ship - they often will boost at this point, but stick with them and blast away.

One thing I've noticed: don't disable an enemy's engines unless you intend to board, or you've also disabled their weapons. They basically become a turret that's almost always facing you, and can really do a lot of damage in a short amount of time.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 3:05:14 PM EDT
[#37]
I fucked them up in the stock frontier. I also played a lot of Elite Dangerous though. I don't think the controls are the best, but I don't think they are bad. They feel like the controls of company making a game trying to do a lot. The Red Mile on the other hand, I died several times, I went through so much ammo.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 3:21:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The Red Mile on the other hand, I died several times, I went through so much ammo.
View Quote
I got a Chameleon Space Suit off a Ecliptic Mercenary, stealthed my way through the mile (at lvl 6), never fired a shot.

Link Posted: 9/4/2023 9:24:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I fucked them up in the stock frontier. I also played a lot of Elite Dangerous though. I don't think the controls are the best, but I don't think they are bad. They feel like the controls of company making a game trying to do a lot. The Red Mile on the other hand, I died several times, I went through so much ammo.
View Quote

I just ran it and didn’t fight. If you hug the left wall much fewer enemies, and there’s a ln aid that gives faster run for 2 minutes.

Still, it took a couple of tries.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 10:53:46 PM EDT
[#40]
I love the space combat.  Ive put the majority of my points into shields,  piloting and starship design.  I built a mamoth 70m star destroyer,  29 reactor points, 730 shield,  spent $300k on it.  Im lvl 25 but I fly around the level 55 planets destroying everyone who fights.  Not even close.  Get 3 or 400 experience and $5k per system destroying ships.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 11:50:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I love the space combat.  Ive put the majority of my points into shields,  piloting and starship design.  I built a mamoth 70m star destroyer,  29 reactor points, 730 shield,  spent $300k on it.  Im lvl 25 but I fly around the level 55 planets destroying everyone who fights.  Not even close.  Get 3 or 400 experience and $5k per system destroying ships.
View Quote

That is awesome
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 1:38:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I want to see if I can add I. The OST from EVE online. That was an epic OST for a space sim. But eve online has a lot of waiting/mining/traveling. And ambiance in the music was king. Not sure starfield works as well with that or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n9-ytmjdv8
View Quote

They closed down the Eve online in game jukebox.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 2:02:39 AM EDT
[#43]
Finally have Starfield preloaded. Took a few days to download it here

Looking forward to playing!

Sounds like we need a GoFundMe to pay Jeremy Soule to make a music mod
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 10:00:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Came up into orbit from Miatha and got jumped by 3 ships attacking a UC Kefir.  All of them had skulls next to their names so I am assuming they were over my level.  They made quick work of me in my modified Frontier.  Thinking even the Razorleaf would not have helped me.

Worst part was I got caught in a death-loop since the game saved just as I entered orbit.  I tried fighting many times with my best effort knocking two ships out.  But most times I would get hit by all three from different directions at once.  I also tried just putting all my power to the engines and running but that did not work either as they never gave up the chase.

Ended up reloading back to when I was on the planet and just skipping the orbit scene by directly launching to the next planet.

FYI you can skip the launch scene by opening your starmap while prepped to launch.  Select your next planet and click "Land".  It takes you straight to the planet w/o having to go into orbit and use the grav-drive.  Also works in big cities.

Another one is if you are doing the Weight-lifting.  Then find a planet with low gravity and start sprinting and then boost pack across it.  You move at the same speed but 02 use is much lower so it takes less time to max out.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 10:05:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Came up into orbit from Miatha and got jumped by 3 ships attacking a UC Kefir.  All of them had skulls next to their names so I am assuming they were over my level.  They made quick work of me in my modified Frontier.  Thinking even the Razorleaf would not have helped me.

Worst part was I got caught in a death-loop since the game saved just as I entered orbit.  I tried fighting many times with my best effort knocking two ships out.  But most times I would get hit by all three from different directions at once.  I also tried just putting all my power to the engines and running but that did not work either as they never gave up the chase.

Ended up reloading back to when I was on the planet and just skipping the orbit scene by directly launching to the next planet.

FYI you can skip the launch scene by opening your starmap while prepped to launch.  Select your next planet and click "Land".  It takes you straight to the planet w/o having to go into orbit and use the grav-drive.  Also works in big cities.

Another one is if you are doing the Weight-lifting.  Then find a planet with low gravity and start sprinting and then boost pack across it.  You move at the same speed but 02 use is much lower so it takes less time to max out.
View Quote

Yep, the autosave after jumping is definitely an issue.

For that reason, I autosave constantly before any major door or taking off in the Frontier.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 10:19:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Yep, the autosave after jumping is definitely an issue.

For that reason, I autosave constantly before any major door or taking off in the Frontier.
View Quote
It's a Bethesda game, save often and keep milestone save points just in case you have to go back a ways because of bugs.

I had a bit of a fright yesterday when all but the last few saves disappeared from the list. A Steam restart brought them all back. I've read some have lost all their saves, I probably should make a backup of the save file.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 11:00:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
It's a Bethesda game, save often and keep milestone save points just in case you have to go back a ways because of bugs.

I had a bit of a fright yesterday when all but the last few saves disappeared from the list. A Steam restart brought them all back. I've read some have lost all their saves, I probably should make a backup of the save file.
View Quote

I was building a base and decided to move the entrance to the HAB.  Well for some reason the whole HAB came with the airlock.  When I tried to place it back down it gave me a terrain error.  Then I tried to just escape out of it and the whole thing disappeared!  I had 6 storage boxes full or resources for building, all were lost.  Had to go back 6 saves to get to a spot before that.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 11:23:32 AM EDT
[#48]
The amount of side missions is overwhelming...it's so easy to get distracted. Not a bad problem to have.

I need a good companion though, Coe is too whiny. "When you get a chance I have some things on my mind" jesus dude, have some dignity and stop bitching about me stealing medpacks.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 11:29:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The amount of side missions is overwhelming...it's so easy to get distracted. Not a bad problem to have.

I need a good companion though, Coe is too whiny. "When you get a chance I have some things on my mind" jesus dude, have some dignity and stop bitching about me stealing medpacks.
View Quote

A complaint I read somewhere said that there is no good companion if you don't want to play as a good guy.

Supposedly the Adoring Fan tolerates anything. I wonder if the droid would too?
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 11:32:40 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

A complaint I read somewhere said that there is no good companion if you don't want to play as a good guy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I also read there's some random encounter companions that will allow anything as well, sorta like the mercs from Skyrim- one name I remember is Simon, but I don't recall where he hangs out. I've put zero effort into that so far though.
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top