Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

Archaeology isn’t even a field, it’s a sub-discipline
Still humanities.
Actually it's a social science
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:07:06 PM EDT
[#2]
The A is bullshit.  STEMM (math/medical) is OK though.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 5:41:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The A is bullshit.  STEMM (math/medical) is OK though.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/20/2018 5:44:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
To me it seems that the focus should be on STEM

Adding Arts into STEM only seems to drag it down.
View Quote
I don't think it's about pottery class, I think it's about graphic arts and design.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 5:48:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If it was Industrial Arts It would be great (metal working , welding , carpentry, etc)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They don’t want the drastic oversupply of “artists” to feel left out.

Makes less sense than putting auto shop in the fine arts buidling.....though that would be a better use of the space.
If it was Industrial Arts It would be great (metal working , welding , carpentry, etc)
You mean like engineering?

Link Posted: 2/20/2018 7:28:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Funding.

The “arts” didn’t want to get left out of the money pool.
View Quote
Everyone gets a trophy.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:33:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:37:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Liberal Arts are subjects such as Economics.

Hardly an SJW area of study.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:42:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 2/21/2018 2:09:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Funny thing is, blue collar jobs (welding, machining, etc) can be covered by all 4 letters of STEM.

We just need to get the 4 year degree guys on the shop floor more often so they know what they're talking about!
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 2:12:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Why not Architecture?
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 2:37:50 PM EDT
[#12]
all a bunch of horse shit to generate more revenue for schools.  If you want kids to go into STEM programs quit importing H1B's or roughly 1.3 Million since 2000.  That's a lot of jobs for millenials and the rest of us.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 2:45:31 PM EDT
[#13]
When someone says steam you know they don't have a BS degree and couldn't hack it in math classes
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 2:48:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
When someone says steam you know they don't have a BS degree and couldn't hack it in math classes
View Quote
So? It don't make you a bad person.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 2:49:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
People who say STEAM make me roll my eyes. Nothing wrong with not being a math whiz though.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:07:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

everything in life begins and ends as a story.  STEM is merely the toolbox.  the arts--all the different forms of storytelling, in all the different senses--are why we do what we do.

on a different note, as @Bohr_Adam points out, the USSR placed an overwhelming emphasis on STEM and were deeply afraid of the arts and humanities, because the technical guys were easy to control while the arts threatened the foundations of communism.
View Quote
I've started reading The Gulag Archipelago, and Solzhenitsyn mentions that they eventually came for the engineers, workers, and tradesmen that didn't represent an ideological threat anyway.

The reason why was for the so-called "wrecking of industry" (i.e., not being able to meet the impossible demands of the state).

The intelligentsia were the first to be rounded up and sent to the gulag, though.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top