User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 13
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 9:41:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This topic has degraded into the most far fetched nonsense ever.

View Quote
Every Shotgun HD thread does eventually lol.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 9:46:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

That's a lot of words to say you can't come up with a single time it's ever happened.

Even though, fun topic of discussion. Say a guy justifiably shoots a home intruder and then in the 20 minutes it takes the cops to get there, he takes the suppressor, optics, lights, IR, sling, etc off his rifle. Firstly, is the investigation team even going to look at that? Second, how would they even go about collecting the evidence to prove that?

And then in an alternate scenario, what if the above guy puts his $6k rifle back in the safe and gets out a $300 BCA junker that's been sitting in his safe uncleaned since the last range day. Same questions- are they even going to care enough to look into it in a justified home defense shooting, and then are they even going to be able to come up with enough evidence to charge the guy, let alone get a jury conviction?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Point me to one single example anyone has ever even been charged with this, let alone being convicted.

I'll wait.

@JohnAdamsIII

People tamper with gun evidence all the time and catch a charge for it.  It's pretty common in fact for gangbanger murders. I've seen a tampering charge upheld where the guy rinsed his SKS off in the shower. (Blood and brain matter on the barrel and stock)

Obviously we were talking about self defense or home defense shootings.

Most people aren't stupid enough to tamper with key evidence in justifiable homicide shootings.

That's a lot of words to say you can't come up with a single time it's ever happened.

Even though, fun topic of discussion. Say a guy justifiably shoots a home intruder and then in the 20 minutes it takes the cops to get there, he takes the suppressor, optics, lights, IR, sling, etc off his rifle. Firstly, is the investigation team even going to look at that? Second, how would they even go about collecting the evidence to prove that?

And then in an alternate scenario, what if the above guy puts his $6k rifle back in the safe and gets out a $300 BCA junker that's been sitting in his safe uncleaned since the last range day. Same questions- are they even going to care enough to look into it in a justified home defense shooting, and then are they even going to be able to come up with enough evidence to charge the guy, let alone get a jury conviction?

If you think they don't check ballistics then I have some swamp land in Florida to sell you.
Not to mention once you get caught in a lie, don't expect them to believe you on anything.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 10:35:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Point me to one single example anyone has ever even been charged with this, let alone being convicted.

I'll wait.

@JohnAdamsIII

People tamper with gun evidence all the time and catch a charge for it.  It's pretty common in fact for gangbanger murders. I've seen a tampering charge upheld where the guy rinsed his SKS off in the shower. (Blood and brain matter on the barrel and stock)

Most people aren't stupid enough to tamper with key evidence in justifiable homicide shootings.

Or do they just get a search warrant and seize every firearm in the home after the shooting
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 10:41:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Lol wow! Page 13
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 10:43:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll wait.

@JohnAdamsIII

Go for it. No skin off my back.

Things tend to get messy, in ways you can't predict. Maybe the intruder has a cousin who's a lawyer. Maybe the local prosecutor is under pressure to crack down. Maybe the cops talk to your neighbors and they'll swear on a bible they never heard a single shot at the time you claim you shot him. Maybe your 5 year old daughter blurts out to the police that she saw daddy taking his gun apart after he shot the bad man. Maybe the cops ask you why you have a silencer mount on your gun but no silencer.

Our world is governed by chaos. You can't possibly predict and control what happens. The best practice is to keep things as simple as possible.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 12:12:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If you think they don't check ballistics then I have some swamp land in Florida to sell you.
Not to mention once you get caught in a lie, don't expect them to believe you on anything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll wait.

@JohnAdamsIII

They check ballistics on a justified home defense shooting? I guess it's location dependent. Also, how accurate is ballistic testing? If you shoot someone with an AR at 10 feet, can they recover enough good material to match it to a specific barrel? What about a shotgun, how do they match buckshot to a specific shotgun?

Link Posted: 2/17/2022 12:15:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/17/2022 12:24:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

They check ballistics on a justified home defense shooting? I guess it's location dependent. Also, how accurate is ballistic testing? If you shoot someone with an AR at 10 feet, can they recover enough good material to match it to a specific barrel? What about a shotgun, how do they match buckshot to a specific shotgun?

View Quote

Just how old are you?
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 12:26:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

All shootings are approached the same.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 12:30:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Or do they just get a search warrant and seize every firearm in the home after the shooting
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll wait.

@JohnAdamsIII

They'll use DrugFire to check the gun against the recovered casing(s) and bullet(s).  Takes less than 24 hours to match it all up.  I've had recovered firearms matched to homicides less than 48 hours earlier from a separate scene that we didn't even know about.  Right or wrong, I would expect a number of your guns to be seized under a warrant if you made a false statement to police about which gun was used since these types of shootings generally go to Grand Jury.  In decades past, the Grand Jury was a good thing. Pretty much rubber stamping good HD shootings here. We even had local LEO's on the GJs. Now the DA's office is run by Soros so you'd better start stretching that anus if you make a materially false statement to local LE about which gun was used.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 12:50:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Every Shotgun HD thread does eventually lol.
View Quote

This is true... Its rather amusing to watch and be a part of... We went from Shotguns suck, to some how the AR15 is better, but when we use it, we field strip it afterward so we dont lose our fancy doodads in the evidence room...  
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 12:51:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This topic has degraded into the most far fetched nonsense ever.

View Quote

Yeah....

Mossberg 590 Mariner - rust isnt really an issue.

When it comes to home defense you want a couple tools in your tool box.

First go to is pistol with light mounted in a easy access safe, good for room clearing and rounding up kits, easy to tuck in your waste band if there isnt a threat and its just a neighbor or cop.

A shotgun loaded with the pdx hybrid rounds is a good tool to have.
You can give it to a relatively untrained spouse and tell her to point it at the door, if door opens pull trigger.
Also not a bad idea to barricade yourself in similar matter if you know there are multiple hostiles in your house
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 12:53:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My 870's are awesome.

People suck.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 1:11:37 PM EDT
[#14]
If you are unfortunate enough to be in a shooting in your home, and you do anything other than lay the weapon down on your kitchen table when it is over, you are an idiot.

Tamper, swap out guns? You will go to jail.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 5:18:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

A parkerized 590 rusts the same as any m16. I've carried both patrolling in the Philippines, Hawaii, and oki and on a commercial fishing both conus.
View Quote

I rock blued shotguns, so I'll take your word for it
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 5:26:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 5:44:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My earlier point being what do you want thrown into an evidence room, a $300-$500 shotgun or a $3000+ ar setup? It is not going to be taken care of or babied.

And if you think you're taking accessories off after the shooting and putting them away you're just going to rack up tampering charges too.
View Quote

Or stop being poor and realize that having the proper tools might cost money.

It's an investment in your personal preparedness.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 5:46:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Most of GD believe they will be involved in a small invasion upon their home where plates,NV, and SBR’s will be deployed fending off waves of paramilitary units..reality doesn’t exist here
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pretty sure my 8 shot mossberg loaded with #1 LE buck will pretty much fuck anybodys day up. Crack shot,and I really don't believe you're gonna have a home invasion by more than 3-4 guys unless you're Tony Montana.

Most of GD believe they will be involved in a small invasion upon their home where plates,NV, and SBR’s will be deployed fending off waves of paramilitary units..reality doesn’t exist here

So your contention is there is no evidence available to indicate home invasions can possibly involve more than one person?

Link Posted: 2/17/2022 5:55:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 6:04:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If that $3000 AR saves me and my family's life, then I don't care.  It was $3000 well spent.

I don't think this argument about "they're gonna keep your weapon"  is well thought out.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My earlier point being what do you want thrown into an evidence room, a $300-$500 shotgun or a $3000+ ar setup?

If that $3000 AR saves me and my family's life, then I don't care.  It was $3000 well spent.

I don't think this argument about "they're gonna keep your weapon"  is well thought out.

Exactly. I have never bought in to the "I don't carry an expensive gun because it will rust in the evidence room" nonsense. Who cares? If a shooting happens, the cost of the firearm you may or may not get back is almost ZERO on the list of things that matter....
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 6:10:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My earlier point being what do you want thrown into an evidence room, a $300-$500 shotgun or a $3000+ ar setup?

O_P has spoken/thread.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 7:06:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

So your contention is there is no evidence available to indicate home invasions can possibly involve more than one person?

View Quote

I don’t care how many there are…I’m still comfortable with a pump shotgun to protect my family and myself inside my home
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 7:32:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Exactly. I have never bought in to the "I don't carry an expensive gun because it will rust in the evidence room" nonsense. Who cares? If a shooting happens, the cost of the firearm you may or may not get back is almost ZERO on the list of things that matter....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

People need to prioritize more thoughtfully.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 1:48:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If you are unfortunate enough to be in a shooting in your home, and you do anything other than lay the weapon down on your kitchen table when it is over, you are an idiot.

View Quote

This is why you put QD mounts on your optics.

"I used Irons Officer I swear!"
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 9:29:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 9:38:32 AM EDT
[#26]
I used to wonder at how many people apparently say stupid things to the cops after a shooting.

After reading this thread, it all makes a lot more sense.

Link Posted: 3/13/2022 9:56:39 AM EDT
[#27]
They have their place ..
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 10:55:01 AM EDT
[#28]
If they would have used a shotgun to kill this thread, it wouldn’t have resurrected.

Link Posted: 3/13/2022 11:05:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Who's the trolling tool who resurrected it? Definitely a ban from thread worthy course of action.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 12:45:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Anyone that would risk going to jail for any optic has not thought this through very well.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyone that would risk going to jail for any optic has not thought this through very well.

I actually don't have an issue with removing an optic or "other" accessory before PD arrives, but I was never of the mindset to fuck over some homeowner defending their family and homestead. Come September might be a few loose pistol braces that fall off a gun before the PD arrives.  It wouldn't be tampering with evidence based upon Texas law to remove an optic.  Questions about the optic likely wouldn't be material to the investigation and therefore couldn't draw a perjury or false statement charge either. Maybe one of the lawyers here can concoct a scenario where questions over the optic might be material to the investigation.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 4:29:04 PM EDT
[#31]
We just shot an "Outlaw" match today at our gun club. Kind of a hybrid Steel Challenge and IDPA with shotguns.

I shot an old refurbished Remington 870 Police Magnum. It ran flawlessly. Reloading was eye opening. Here are my observations:

Hits were easy, but we were shooting bird shot at 50 feet max on steel and stationary clay birds.

Pump guns work. I saw no pump guns jam up  or otherwise fail.

Semi autos are lightening fast but they will jam when you don't need them to. I saw LOTS of FTF's with semi autos.

Reloading is a skill all on it's own. There were a couple guys with shell holders that were ok at dual loading shells. Most of us wore our hunting coat and had shells in the pocket. Reloading is the weak point of a shotgun, IMHO. Before you laugh at us regarding the hunting coats...if I were to get in a gunfight I will probably not be decked out in a 3 gun rig. I purposely wore the coat I wear most, and fed the gun from the right side pocket like I do when hunting. Not 3 Gun Nation Tacticool, but pretty real world. I was happy with my reloading ability, but it was definitely the slowest part of the process.

Familiarity matters. I have shot pump action shotguns all my life, thousands of rounds. I was no John Wick, but I am able to load and manipulate the gun while looking for targets. Guys that don't....they struggled. Buying a shotgun and sticking it in the corner is a bad idea. Whatever you choose....practice.

This was an awesome match, and we ill do it again. But it reinforced my opinion....a rifle is better. If not for the ballistic difference, I might go so far as to say that even a handgun you are well trained with is better.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 4:34:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 4:39:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yup. If you’re having enough HD shootings for this to impact your finances in a substantive way you have other problems.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 6:10:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
If they would have used a shotgun to kill this thread, it wouldn’t have resurrected.

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/13/2022 7:58:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
We just shot an "Outlaw" match today at our gun club. Kind of a hybrid Steel Challenge and IDPA with shotguns.

I shot an old refurbished Remington 870 Police Magnum. It ran flawlessly. Reloading was eye opening. Here are my observations:

Hits were easy, but we were shooting bird shot at 50 feet max on steel and stationary clay birds.

Semi autos are lightening fast but they will jam when you don't need them to. I saw LOTS of FTF's with semi autos.

Reloading is a skill all on it's own. There were a couple guys with shell holders that were ok at dual loading shells. Most of us wore our hunting coat and had shells in the pocket. Reloading is the weak point of a shotgun, IMHO. Before you laugh at us regarding the hunting coats...if I were to get in a gunfight I will probably not be decked out in a 3 gun rig. I purposely wore the coat I wear most, and fed the gun from the right side pocket like I do when hunting. Not 3 Gun Nation Tacticool, but pretty real world. I was happy with my reloading ability, but it was definitely the slowest part of the process.

Familiarity matters. I have shot pump action shotguns all my life, thousands of rounds. I was no John Wick, but I am able to load and manipulate the gun while looking for targets. Guys that don't....they struggled. Buying a shotgun and sticking it in the corner is a bad idea. Whatever you choose....practice.

This was an awesome match, and we ill do it again. But it reinforced my opinion....a rifle is better. If not for the ballistic difference, I might go so far as to say that even a handgun you are well trained with is better.
View Quote

Reloading is certainly the weak link. With that said it can be made substantially better through practice and is also not a need in the typical scenario not to say it’s not a skill you should work on mastering or that it’s the right tool for every job. It’s certainly an adequate tool for most of them.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 8:51:57 PM EDT
[#36]
After reading this thread, If all I have is a shotgun when someone breaks into my house, Ill just use it on myself and save all the hassle.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 8:59:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Reloading is certainly the weak link. With that said it can be made substantially better through practice and is also not a need in the typical scenario not to say it’s not a skill you should work on mastering or that it’s the right tool for every job. It’s certainly an adequate tool for most of them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We rigged all of these scenarios so that we had to reload. All I could think of was "I'm glad no one is shooting at me" as I stuffed shells into the tube....
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 9:00:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
After reading this thread, If all I have is a shotgun when someone breaks into my house, Ill just use it on myself and save all the hassle.
View Quote

Messy....
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 9:07:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 9:13:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

That’s why 3-gun is referred to as a shotgun loading competition.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s why 3-gun is referred to as a shotgun loading competition.

I can see that
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 9:22:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Shotguns are fine.  MAC sucks.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/13/2022 10:58:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/14/2022 1:01:11 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

We rigged all of these scenarios so that we had to reload. All I could think of was "I'm glad no one is shooting at me" as I stuffed shells into the tube....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Precisely how one gets better at it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 1:15:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In real life your moving and loading and it's not that big of a deal.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 9:26:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Who's the trolling tool who resurrected it? Definitely a ban from thread worthy course of action.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Page / 13
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top